MediaMath Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2021

3.5
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "They trust in their employees, and the work/life balance is really good(in 64 reviews)

• "flexibility , smart people, office view and food pantry(in 40 reviews)

• Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "Some growing pains -- some instability due to several re-organizations over the past few years; way too many disparate technology stacks(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Place to Work

Mar 2, 2020 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Place to Work. I love it

Cons

Nothing i can think of

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Solid Changes Happening!

Apr 14, 2021 - Site Reliability Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paternity leave is a MONTH! PTO is super generous. Pay is super generous! Tons of freedom to creatively solve problems. CEO is fired up and believes MediaMath can be a winner in the market.

Cons

Like with any company, switching between teams can feel like switching between companies, and how effective you’ll be has a ton to do with how well you can gain the trust of the team you’re working within. Lots of cost cutting focus.

3. 4.0

strong Adtech culture

Apr 27, 2021 - Sales in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

great local leadership. Global team managed Covid very well. Flexible working conditions and strong team culture.

Cons

lots of structural change over the 3 years I was there, did impact feeling of overall company health as some of these changes were not successful.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Frustrating

Feb 2, 2021 - Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-People are awesome. Made some of my best friends here & brilliant coworkers. -Culture was A+ before the pandemic & leadership switch -Pretty flexible, good work-life balance. Common in tech companies -Good opp to learn a lot if you apply yourself.

Cons

-SLT talks to employees but doesn't talk with them. Would be much better if they could have an honest discussion with their employees, especially in 2020, instead of being hush hush. -Tries to do too many things. Caters to whatever clients ask to make $; unfocused. -Cheap when it comes to salaries & bonuses. -Extremely difficult to get promoted unless you have a stellar manager. -Do not seem to care to retain the good folks. -Continuously compare themselves to a company that is public, makes 6x the revenue and has triple the manpower. It's not realistic. -Far too many re-orgs. -Some teams have a very toxic culture.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Feb 1, 2021 - Client Services Lead in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started my career off at MediaMath, with great people and was able to learn a ton of skills while having a ton of fun. MediaMath provided the opportunity to grow and take on leadership within teams to be able to expose yourself to all types of problems and issues, gaining invaluable experience. The culture there was great and everyone fully enjoyed the team they were on.

Cons

Too many team/org realignments, as well as disjointed communication and priority pipelines between departments. New leadership has been totally focused on this, but there was a lack of vision for a while.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to grow your career

Jul 5, 2020 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really big, interesting CS problems to work on. No futzing about with weak tea python/nodejs services you would have at your average CRUD SASS company. You have to use serious tools because the scale is bigtime. Many services have to handle billions of requests/datapoints hourly. Working on these kinds of problems is how you grow as an engineer. The company has comparable scale to FAANG but cant/doesnt pay as well, but they compensate for it by being really chill. No expectation of long hours, no packing stressful amounts of work into sprints. Want to actually use your unlimited PTO? No problem. You have kids and errands? No problem. Very flexible WFH policies. Right now we have summer Friday where every Friday is a half day. Netflix would pay more, but having your life back is priceless.

Cons

10 years of techdebt overhang that slows development down significantly and causes reliability issues/firedrills. Management is serious about addressing it, so there is a silver lining, and you may get to rebuild some stuff from scratch, which is nice. That said, I don't think a day goes by without some production incident.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Nice Company

Apr 2, 2021 - Account Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people you get to work with

Cons

Tough market and struggles financially

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Mostly good things

Feb 3, 2021 - Trading
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is lots of opportunity if you are okay working in a start up like culture.

Cons

Frequent changes in middle and senior management lead to disorganization and unclear direction.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Friendly Environment with lots of good work

Jan 26, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly Good Work Openness of ideas Relaxed work culture

Cons

Not yet public Too many higher management leaving

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Once a great company, now not so much

Sep 9, 2020 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits - Good people / culture - Good work life balance

Cons

- No personal growth unless you know someone. Experience does not matter - Uncompetitive salary - no yearly pay rise (maybe limited to certain offices and/or people) - People jumping from one depart to another with no experience into senior positions. It is quite demoralising to see - It feels like there are more VP's and directors than individual contributors - VERY US centric - Constant production issues - the engineering teams try their best to keep a broken product running. Releases often lead to production issues - Leadership are interested in pushing out new products/features when the time should be spent on fixing/optimising the current state of the product The company has not been the same since the well publicised 2016 layoffs. There have been regular cuts to budgets/benefits since then. I personally do not trust the vast majority of these positive reviews.

3 people found this review helpful

MediaMath Response

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for providing your feedback. We want to be sure we adequately respond to your feedback point by point and welcome the opportunity to talk even further. First, we’re glad to hear that during your time with us you had a good experience with your colleagues and enjoyed our benefits. We do put a lot of thought and intention into our culture and strive to foster a healthy work-life balance across the company. As part of our focus on continually improving the experience of all of our employees, we recently hired a new Chief People Officer. Among her areas of focus for the near term is evaluating our overall promotion and compensation practices to ensure we are promoting fair practices throughout the organization. We do take pride in our internal mobility program as we think it is a great opportunity for our employees to stretch and flex their transferable skills into new roles and learn along the way, reflecting onf one of our core values: “Obsess Over Learning and Growth.” While we always try to align our internal transfers to ensure their skills and abilities match the position, your feedback is a helpful for us to be hyper focused on ensuring that our transfers are adequately equipped to succeed in their new roles and ensure our teams are properly staffed. Over the past 24 months, we have implemented a new engineering organizational structure aimed to ensure our people have a dedicated leader focused on their growth; in doing so most of our engineers find themselves in individual contributor roles with a small number of VPs managing people. We are also continuing to invest in our global growth and recently welcomed a UK-based Chief Client Officer. Our technology leadership team is committed to focusing on the improvement of our technology and release process to best serve our clients. In the interest of continual improvement, we will certainly bring this feedback to our head of engineering. Our leadership team is committed, now more than ever, to transparency and is open and willing to discuss ongoing issues through our weekly global all hands meetings and opportunities to ask questions openly and anonymously. Like many companies, 2020 has presented vast and unanticipated challenges and we did instate a 10% pay-cut across the board, including all leadership team members. We were open and transparent about this pay-cut and also prioritized the reinstatement of salaries to non-leadership positions first. (We are now happy to say that we have reinstated salaries across the company!) Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 356 Reviews