McMillen Jacobs Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillen Jacobs Associates Reviews

Updated 1 Oct 2019

3.7
McMillen Jacobs Associates CEO Daniel Adams (no image)
Daniel Adams
  1. "A great place to learn"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to large, interesting, and global projects. Ability to take on as much responsibility as you can handle. Good pay. Great technical mentorship. Some travel opportunities.

Cons

Depending on what office you are in, you may get very little exposure to actual construction sites. Company bureaucracy/politics can get in the way of promotions (and hence your career progression). Not sold on the senior management team.

Advice to Management

More effort should be put in from the top levels communicating the company direction, mission, culture, and values.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-12-29
  2. "Great leadership team"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership team in the Boise office really care about their employees and it shows! They are constantly trying to make sure our work atmosphere promotes creativity, productivity and positivity …..which is one of the main reasons working at McMillen Jacobs has been so rewarding. As our company continues to grow, I am watching how we are recruiting and gaining talented enthusiastic people. Which leads to my... next point, I really appreciate my teammates! We have a collaborative and fun work environment which always helps to put me in a good mood. Also, the pay and benefits are of course another plus!

Cons

I am speaking from the heart, when I say, I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

To sum up my advice to management…….thank you for helping to create such a positive and fun work environment, where commitment and hard work are appreciated and rewarded.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-10-01

"Working at MJA"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Can be a friendly environment

Cons

Top executives in the company are all related to each other. The incestuous atmosphere is difficult at best if you are not "accepted" by the family. Technical success will not win out over the Family.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-09-19

"Chief inspector"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in , very collaborative , treat you like an individual Instead of a number.

Cons

Old guard can be a tight knit group

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-01-14

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is growing but not too big for itself.

Cons

Natural growing pains but organization does a good job to help employees through the stress.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2018-10-08

"Clearly on the path to being purchased"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Awesome staff, great culture, super technically competent. Projects are very, very interesting. Ambition and grabbing more project is almost always welcomed.

Cons

Management thinks the staff is obtuse and tells some pretty blatant lies about stuff that "is to our benefit" but really is the company's bottom line protection. Promotion is rarely merit based. Obvious the merger was about one thing and one thing only - a 5 year path to resale and inflating the retirement of the higher ups. Cutting profit sharing, minimizing dividend distributions, minimizing bonuses, minimizing... raises, maximizing the number of staff on hand, cutting benefits, all speaks to one thing - a higher book price and a higher price when we sell. Buy stock if you work here. Get rich with them. Hardest workers are exploited/marginalized. Generally, there is an incredible resistance to cutting the dead weight when it starts dragging down offices, projects, and morale. Merger still hasn't gelled. It's two companies, it's going to continue to be two companies for a long time.

Advice to Management

Your staff isn't stupid. It's insulting to lie to us so obviously. Quit cutting benefits. Quit marginalizing the hardest workers. Hire staff that's appropriate for the number of management we have. 200 associates and 15 staff people is not the real number, but it certainly feels like the company is extremely top heavy. Poor recruiting and lack of foresight (quarter to quarter) mindset isn't getting us... anywhere when our projects last years to a decade on the engineering side. We're constantly overworked and stretched thin because of some "shortfall" looming in terms of utilization...total charade.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2018-01-03
  7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Sydney

Pros

Exciting and iconic projects with an intelligent , practical and energetic team.

Cons

No cons for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work, great job.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-12-07

"Decent company"

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Good reputation, opportunity to work with industry leaders, decent enough benefits

Cons

Managers do not hold employees accountable for their actions, very poor communication, slow to respond to inquiries, made me feel like I was just a warm body filling a position rather than a valued member of a team

Advice to Management

Trim the fat

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-10-06

"engineer for 5 years"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun projects. Great teams to work with. Good clients. Design-build company with a great sense of purpose. I've worked at McMillen Jacobs for over 5 years. McMillen LLC and Jacobs Associates merged together, and the results have been good so far. The CEO and Engineering Manager are fun people.

Cons

My design teams are divided among different offices, so coordination takes more effort. Fine points of the merger between McMillen LLC and Jacobs Associates are still being resolved.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-06-15

"No longer the old JA"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

1) Still many technically strong people 2) Company still a top operator in the tunneling market 3) Good financial performance (disclosure: I'm a stock holder, but with a very very minor share) 4) Flexibility for good work-life balance (this depends on your office, though) 5) Management has been responsive and supportive of my diverse professional development interests 6) Most offices have a fun culture and... happy employees to work with 7) McMillen merger was an interesting move with a dynamic, ambitious young company 8) Top compensation among competitors, in my experience

Cons

1) Strange double standards regarding promotions (some people move up earlier than others with questionable justification) 2) I don't agree with company's position on equating years of education vs years of experience (spoiler - I think education is unfairly overcompensated) 3) McMillen side has largely taken over company operations, and the old "employees first" JA culture that successfully retained lots of... talented people is shifting to a larger-company type dynamic 4) McMillen side seems to be benefiting more that the JA side from the merger. JA side is slow to roll-out a coherent and comprehensive strategic plan. Why is McMillen so much more put together? 5) Management is shifting resources away from employee comp and into improving stock price and stock value. This is a big win for major holders (which there are few) at the expense of the employees (which there are many). 6) As a minor shareholder and employee, it feels like the company is being run by a small group and I have very little control over corporate issues (like who gets nominated for election to the board).

Advice to Management

1) Get a business plan together for the legacy JA work, or you'll lose people. 2) Increase management's visibility to offices outside Pacific NW and California. 3) Make it more "McMillen Jacobs Associates" instead of "McMillen with some Jacobs Associates People"

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-06-14