McMillan "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 15 May 2019

Found 52 reviews

4.1
McMillan CEO Pierre Paul Samson
Pierre Paul Samson
Pros
  • "Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Ability to work from home (sometimes/with good reason),(in 6 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Onwards and upwards!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constant personal and professional growth, new challenges every day, and upward momentum. Very talented and passionate coworkers and supportive, transparent leadership. New CEO showing excellent business acumen in navigating the ups and downs of our highly volatile industry with a great sense of integrity and foresight.

Cons

Because the nature of our industry is very fast-paced, sometimes it gets very overwhelming and requires some serious time management and organizational skills to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Possibly leverage and use the skills of middle management more often to sharpen business skills and create more fluidity and autonomy throughout the organizational hierarchy. Hire more talents from out of town who have more competitive industry experience and are hungry to compete with global talents. We need more people with a certain level of maturity and perspective that comes with “big cities” background and... experience.

McMillan2019-04-17

May 1, 2019CEO

Thanks for your input. I genuinely appreciate your advice about leveraging the skills of our management team. We have a talented cast across the board with the potential to grow at all levels. I also believe that we’ll grow with the right mix of local and international talent. ...

"What happened to McMillan?"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This used to be an amazing place to work. The culture was phenomenal. Moral was always high. Work was a bit dull, but still thriving. Work/life balance was decent. Salaries and profit sharing was decent.

Cons

Things started going down hill really fast after the new CEO was announced. Empty promises. Failed company ambitions. A major shift in culture. Now, moral is at an all-time low. Clients don’t see us as trusted advisors and work/projects are dwindling. Layoffs are frequent and significant. And the CEO doesn’t even know my name, or my title for that matter.

Advice to Management

What happened to you guys!? Seriously. Check your egos.

McMillan2019-04-15

May 1, 2019CEO

Although it was difficult to read, I appreciate your comment. I can understand that a change in leadership is not always welcomed and that our newest direction may not appeal to you. As I embrace the role of CEO and put in place a plan that I believe will ultimately help us succeed ...

3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're... overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Advice to Management

Enforcing process among managers and creative directors. This will also cut back on people working additional overtime, as the account team/studio team can work to balance workload.

McMillan2017-02-28
  4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Working on B2B has shifted the culture. It’s imperative that management acknowledge and address this. The culture is so embedded in all that McMillan does and it’s what makes it such a special place to work. Keeping the culture alive is critical.

McMillan2017-02-26
  5. "Great company culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great company culture Wonderful coworkers who support and lift each-other up Given lots of autonomy Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Respectful work environment Culture of transparency and accountability QA department Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Walk around and listen - you might be surprised what you'll learn!

McMillan2017-01-23
  6. "Is this part optional?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving... and considerate than this one. Everyone is especially nice - a very warm agency environment.

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.

McMillan2017-01-23
  7. "Review"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

- Great team - Good perks and benefits

Cons

- Work/Life balance is hard to maintain - There is an inconsistency of how people are treated, which leads to varied experiences depending on the your position in the company - The salary is low compared to the industry standard - There is barely any movement for advancement and growth - There is a culture of fear: Fear of saying anything bad about the company (people are always scared to lose their jobs)

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees in your company (salary and promotions). Stop the favouritism and treat people based on their work ethic.

McMillan2017-02-06

February 22, 2017

Thanks for your candid feedback. We try our best but, yeah, we don’t have all the answers. If you’re game, please reach out to me or Rob. We’d love to brainstorm on how to make things better. Gordon McMillan

8. "Love McMillan!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic culture - amazingly talented people who want to do amazing things, dogs in the office, lots of fun activities. Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance. Great location, great space. An executive team who genuinely wants to listen to the team and make things the best they can be. Interesting, challenging clients. Proud to be a member of the McMillan team.

Cons

Maintaining the unique McMillan culture as we grow is a challenging endeavour.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

McMillan2017-01-20
  9. "A special place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

A variety of challenging work Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Flexible work environment Respectful work environment Team environment Culture of transparency and accountability Training programs Integrity Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Unpredictability of the business Some work does not always hit the market due to changes on the client side Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

McMillan2017-01-20
  10. "The place to be."

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great culture and working dynamic between all departments - Truly a work hard, play hard environment with the growth potential - McMillan make a real effort to invest in your personal and career growth (conferences, training, etc.) - Strongly promote a work/life balance but overtime is often needed

Cons

- Entry-mid level salaries are not very competitive compared to industry standard and it is difficult to secure promotions - High turnover - Limited creative opportunities

Advice to Management

- Invest in the talented employees you have and ensure they feel valued. - Continue to grow business that fits the agency instead of just taking on new business specifically for the revenue.

McMillan2017-02-03