McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan Reviews

Updated 21 April, 2019

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "An amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Production Artist in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Ottawa, ON

Pros

I work with a talented group of people. McMillan has a great working atmosphere. I feel we all support each other. No big egos. Well, a few big-ish egos, but that goes with the territory. Totally reasonable and tolerable.

Cons

Too hot in winter and too cold in summer. Really, no complaints on my end. Any complaints are usually taken care of right away and problems solved.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work that you are doing, and continue with the training that McMillan provides.

2. "Simply the best!"

Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great talent. Awesome perks (volunteer days, fun events, dogs in the office, etc.). A very liberal environment, designed to the hilt for comfort and creativity. The executive is invested in full transparency and updates us regularly around company goals and status. I never dreamed I'd get to work in such a cool place with such cool people.

Cons

There's overtime to work when it's there, but it's very reasonable in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, and keep reaching for the stars.

3. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan (More than 10 years)

Pros

McMillan is an great place to work, very creative atmosphere, great management team, talented team of creatives, and you can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Most of the work is B2B.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

4. "Love McMillan!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture - amazingly talented people who want to do amazing things, dogs in the office, lots of fun activities. Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance. Great location, great space. An executive team who genuinely wants to listen to the team and make things the best they can be. Interesting, challenging clients. Proud to be a member of the McMillan team.

Cons

Maintaining the unique McMillan culture as we grow is a challenging endeavour.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "Most fantastic place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Director, Marketing Technologies in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing Technologies in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The President and CEO have a clear vision for the agency and I feel as a member of the executive team, that my opinion and contribution is expected and valued.

I genuinely like everybody here. Everybody is talented in their own right, and what's more, everybody truly is trying to deliver the best product they can.

So many little perks including birthday day off, volunteer days, freedom to explore non-client projects and little objection to purchasing hardware for testing (within reason).

With children, there are often doctors appointments and sick kids which necessitates working from home. Management's philosophy is to start from a place of trust rather than scepticism. We know that things come up but we trust employees are adults and will still work to get the job done. As a result, very few people abuse this privilege.

For the most part, the clients are great. Of course there are challenges, but we are quick to manage challenging relationships and people.

Cons

Being on 2 floors can make integration of teams tough especially at a small agency. Small nit, and easily overcome with 2 feet and a heartbeat!

6. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McMillan is a creative, fair, respectful, dog-friendly, collaborative, great team camaraderie, trusting, enjoyable and fun place to work.

Cons

When with working in a creative space such as McMillan, sometimes there are too many 'cooks in the kitchen' so to speak.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your peers and support and nurture training

7. "Amazing culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

•Amazing culture and employees
    •Great office space
    •Every day is different and exciting
    •Tries their best to provide a good work/life balance

Cons

•Salaries vary with no rhyme or reason. People in the same position doing the same thing can have major pay gaps with no explanation or reason.
    •There’s favouritism from upper mgmt towards certain employees

Advice to Management

•Listen to and invest in your employees so you can attract keep great talent
    •Don’t make people fight for what they deserve

"Unbeatable people and environment, painful work and clients"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

-Amazing colleagues and great environment
    -Intelligent, hard-working and fun people
    -Very supportive management who appreciate everyone's efforts
    -Leaders who genuinely listen to their staff
    -Generous bonuses
    -Parties are hard to match

Cons

-Exclusive B2B (especially technology) clients leads to unique challenges and often times very dry work
    -Uniqueness of required skillsets given complex nature of B2B clients' work leads to periods of understaffing
    -Nature of clients' work and industries necessarily leads to a painful focus on technical details at the expense of time and resources for creative brilliance
    -Potential lack of willingness to truly turn down work and clients who do not present a big creative opportunity

Advice to Management

Be sure to consider the acquisition and retention implications of maintaining a 100% B2B approach.

9. "Fast-paced, fun, flexible."

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

- Talented and creative colleagues
    - Supportive and understanding management
    - Commitment to professional development of employees and management
    - Great benefits
    - Generous bonuses
    - Ability to work from home
    - Volunteer day, birthday off
    - Fun, liberal environment/culture
    - Dog friendly

Cons

- Tight deadlines mean overtime is often required making work/life balance a challenge.

Advice to Management

- Ensure major changes in organizational structure are communicated clearly.

- Knowledge transfer between old and new managers with respect to employee development/action plans needs improvement.

10. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McMillan provides a wonderful workplace culture, a fast paced/dynamic, dog-friendly environment in a great location. Educational opportunities and growth opportunities are available. Upper management has strong leadership skills and are focused on mentorship. Another nice perk is the option to work from home. The company is sympathetic to family obligations and understands the importance of work/life balance.

Cons

My only criticism is that salaries are not always competitive depending on the role.

Advice to Management

I recommend reviewing the average salaries for digital agencies in Canada and align to those.