McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan Reviews

Updated Nov 27, 2019

3.7
McMillan Chair and Chief Disruptor Gordon McMillan (no image)
Gordon McMillan
  1. "One of the greatest!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I get to work with an amazing group of people and I enjoy coming to work everyday. Not only are there extremely creative people here, but they are funny too. I love that there is always someone making us laugh, on a daily basis. It's like a big family. I've learned so much from working here and continue to do so from so much talent.

Cons

Can be stressful work at times and trying to juggle the workload from clients, can be crazy.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, some efforts do get overlooked as they are not always aware of who works on what and when.

McMillan2017-01-25
  2. "Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

McMillan is a creative, fair, respectful, dog-friendly, collaborative, great team camaraderie, trusting, enjoyable and fun place to work.

Cons

When with working in a creative space such as McMillan, sometimes there are too many 'cooks in the kitchen' so to speak.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your peers and support and nurture training

McMillan2017-01-24
  3. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely atmosphere, extremely creative people, and has a very engaged management team.

Cons

It can be very busy at times.

4. "Great culture"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

I've worked in many agency environments and it seems like cynicism pervades many of these cultures. This place is way different. Everyone has each others' back and there is a genuine concern for everyone on the team. I think the quality of the work could be better but I also believe there is nothing standing the way of doing better work. Everyone is given permission to do the best they can and is given lots of... support, not only from management but also through on-site training and the ability to attend some pretty inspiring conference like SXSW and One Show summits.

Cons

Being a B2B Creative agency is a double-edged sword. It has definitely allowed the agency to focus on massive global clients, which I like. But it is sometimes difficult to persuade them to take risks to do great work. But that's a challenge I think we are game to take on.

McMillan2017-01-23
  5. "Great company culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great company culture Wonderful coworkers who support and lift each-other up Given lots of autonomy Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Respectful work environment Culture of transparency and accountability QA department Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Walk around and listen - you might be surprised what you'll learn!

McMillan2017-01-23
  6. "Is this part optional?"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving... and considerate than this one. Everyone is especially nice - a very warm agency environment.

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.

McMillan2017-01-23
  7. "Best employer I've ever had. Honestly."

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan is a dream. The management is open, transparent and inclusive (not to mention ultra-friendly and approachable). Employees are valued, appreciated and compensated fairly. Professional development is strongly encouraged. The environment is open, creative and encouraging. The culture and values is something I've never experienced and can't really describe - dedicated creative professionals who work hard, play... hard and genuinely love to come to work.

Cons

B2B can be challenging and demotivating sometimes. Projects are large and tend to last for very long periods of time with no end in sight. But to counter that, we're given the opportunity to work on moral-boosting fun pro-bono work regularly.

Advice to Management

Your openness and appreciation for your staff is the glue that keeps the culture strong. Keep doing what you're doing. You have an army supporting you.

8. "Amazing culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

•Amazing culture and employees •Great office space •Every day is different and exciting •Tries their best to provide a good work/life balance

Cons

•Salaries vary with no rhyme or reason. People in the same position doing the same thing can have major pay gaps with no explanation or reason. •There’s favouritism from upper mgmt towards certain employees

Advice to Management

•Listen to and invest in your employees so you can attract keep great talent •Don’t make people fight for what they deserve

9. "Review"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

- Great team - Good perks and benefits

Cons

- Work/Life balance is hard to maintain - There is an inconsistency of how people are treated, which leads to varied experiences depending on the your position in the company - The salary is low compared to the industry standard - There is barely any movement for advancement and growth - There is a culture of fear: Fear of saying anything bad about the company (people are always scared to lose their jobs)

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees in your company (salary and promotions). Stop the favouritism and treat people based on their work ethic.

McMillan2017-02-06
  10. "Simply the best!"

Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, great talent. Awesome perks (volunteer days, fun events, dogs in the office, etc.). A very liberal environment, designed to the hilt for comfort and creativity. The executive is invested in full transparency and updates us regularly around company goals and status. I never dreamed I'd get to work in such a cool place with such cool people.

Cons

There's overtime to work when it's there, but it's very reasonable in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, and keep reaching for the stars.

McMillan2017-01-20