McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan CEO Pierre Paul Samson
Pierre Paul Samson
  1. "Great culture"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

I've worked in many agency environments and it seems like cynicism pervades many of these cultures. This place is way different. Everyone has each others' back and there is a genuine concern for everyone on the team. I think the quality of the work could be better but I also believe there is nothing standing the way of doing better work. Everyone is given permission to do the best they can and is given lots of... support, not only from management but also through on-site training and the ability to attend some pretty inspiring conference like SXSW and One Show summits.

Cons

Being a B2B Creative agency is a double-edged sword. It has definitely allowed the agency to focus on massive global clients, which I like. But it is sometimes difficult to persuade them to take risks to do great work. But that's a challenge I think we are game to take on.

McMillan2017-01-23
  2. "Great company culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great company culture Wonderful coworkers who support and lift each-other up Given lots of autonomy Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Respectful work environment Culture of transparency and accountability QA department Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Walk around and listen - you might be surprised what you'll learn!

McMillan2017-01-23
  3. "Is this part optional?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving... and considerate than this one. Everyone is especially nice - a very warm agency environment.

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.

McMillan2017-01-23
  4. "Best employer I've ever had. Honestly."

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan is a dream. The management is open, transparent and inclusive (not to mention ultra-friendly and approachable). Employees are valued, appreciated and compensated fairly. Professional development is strongly encouraged. The environment is open, creative and encouraging. The culture and values is something I've never experienced and can't really describe - dedicated creative professionals who work hard, play... hard and genuinely love to come to work.

Cons

B2B can be challenging and demotivating sometimes. Projects are large and tend to last for very long periods of time with no end in sight. But to counter that, we're given the opportunity to work on moral-boosting fun pro-bono work regularly.

Advice to Management

Your openness and appreciation for your staff is the glue that keeps the culture strong. Keep doing what you're doing. You have an army supporting you.

McMillan2017-01-23
  5. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely atmosphere, extremely creative people, and has a very engaged management team.

Cons

It can be very busy at times.

6. "Review"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

- Great team - Good perks and benefits

Cons

- Work/Life balance is hard to maintain - There is an inconsistency of how people are treated, which leads to varied experiences depending on the your position in the company - The salary is low compared to the industry standard - There is barely any movement for advancement and growth - There is a culture of fear: Fear of saying anything bad about the company (people are always scared to lose their jobs)

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees in your company (salary and promotions). Stop the favouritism and treat people based on their work ethic.

McMillan2017-02-06

McMillan Response

February 22, 2017

Thanks for your candid feedback. We try our best but, yeah, we don’t have all the answers. If you’re game, please reach out to me or Rob. We’d love to brainstorm on how to make things better. Gordon McMillan

7. "Awesome place to work"

Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan for more than 10 years

Pros

McMillan is an great place to work, very creative atmosphere, great management team, talented team of creatives, and you can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Most of the work is B2B.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Love McMillan!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic culture - amazingly talented people who want to do amazing things, dogs in the office, lots of fun activities. Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance. Great location, great space. An executive team who genuinely wants to listen to the team and make things the best they can be. Interesting, challenging clients. Proud to be a member of the McMillan team.

Cons

Maintaining the unique McMillan culture as we grow is a challenging endeavour.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

McMillan2017-01-20
  9. "Most fantastic place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Director, Marketing Technologies in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The President and CEO have a clear vision for the agency and I feel as a member of the executive team, that my opinion and contribution is expected and valued. I genuinely like everybody here. Everybody is talented in their own right, and what's more, everybody truly is trying to deliver the best product they can. So many little perks including birthday day off, volunteer days, freedom to explore non-client... projects and little objection to purchasing hardware for testing (within reason). With children, there are often doctors appointments and sick kids which necessitates working from home. Management's philosophy is to start from a place of trust rather than scepticism. We know that things come up but we trust employees are adults and will still work to get the job done. As a result, very few people abuse this privilege. For the most part, the clients are great. Of course there are challenges, but we are quick to manage challenging relationships and people.

Cons

Being on 2 floors can make integration of teams tough especially at a small agency. Small nit, and easily overcome with 2 feet and a heartbeat!

McMillan2017-01-20
  10. "A special place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

A variety of challenging work Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Flexible work environment Respectful work environment Team environment Culture of transparency and accountability Training programs Integrity Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Unpredictability of the business Some work does not always hit the market due to changes on the client side Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Found 52 reviews