McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 50 reviews

4.5
McMillan CEO Gordon McMillan
Gordon McMillan
  1. "Great company culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great company culture Wonderful coworkers who support and lift each-other up Given lots of autonomy Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with Respectful work environment Culture of transparency and accountability QA department Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Walk around and listen - you might be surprised what you'll learn!

McMillan2017-01-23
  2. "Is this part optional?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving and...

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.

McMillan2017-01-23
  3. "Best employer I've ever had. Honestly."

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan is a dream. The management is open, transparent and inclusive (not to mention ultra-friendly and approachable). Employees are valued, appreciated and compensated fairly. Professional development is strongly encouraged. The environment is open, creative and encouraging. The culture and values is something I've never experienced and can't really describe - dedicated creative professionals who work hard, play hard...

Cons

B2B can be challenging and demotivating sometimes. Projects are large and tend to last for very long periods of time with no end in sight. But to counter that, we're given the opportunity to work on moral-boosting fun pro-bono work regularly.

Advice to Management

Your openness and appreciation for your staff is the glue that keeps the culture strong. Keep doing what you're doing. You have an army supporting you.

4. "Review"

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

- Great team - Good perks and benefits

Cons

- Work/Life balance is hard to maintain - There is an inconsistency of how people are treated, which leads to varied experiences depending on the your position in the company - The salary is low compared to the industry standard - There is barely any movement for advancement and growth - There is a culture of fear: Fear of saying anything bad about the company (people are always scared to lose their jobs)

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees in your company (salary and promotions). Stop the favouritism and treat people based on their work ethic.

McMillan2017-02-06

McMillan Response

February 22, 2017

Thanks for your candid feedback. We try our best but, yeah, we don’t have all the answers. If you’re game, please reach out to me or Rob. We’d love to brainstorm on how to make things better. Gordon McMillan

5. "A Truly Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuine concern for the working well-being of employees founded in an appreciation of the fact that employees drive business, revenue and profit.

Cons

Minor quibble: Some business practices aren't quite in sync with a) the rapid growth in employee count and b) a significant change in in the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep listening and learning. There is no perfect and there is no done. It's a process leading to better and you're doing it better than most.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

Very supportive. There is opportunity for anyone who steps-up. They value proactivity. Surrounded by smart people that I enjoy working with and hanging out with.

Cons

Nothing really that I would pick on.

McMillan2017-01-19
  7. "An amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Production Artist in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan

Pros

I work with a talented group of people. McMillan has a great working atmosphere. I feel we all support each other. No big egos. Well, a few big-ish egos, but that goes with the territory. Totally reasonable and tolerable.

Cons

Too hot in winter and too cold in summer. Really, no complaints on my end. Any complaints are usually taken care of right away and problems solved.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work that you are doing, and continue with the training that McMillan provides.

8. "Simply the best!"

Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, great talent. Awesome perks (volunteer days, fun events, dogs in the office, etc.). A very liberal environment, designed to the hilt for comfort and creativity. The executive is invested in full transparency and updates us regularly around company goals and status. I never dreamed I'd get to work in such a cool place with such cool people.

Cons

There's overtime to work when it's there, but it's very reasonable in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, and keep reaching for the stars.

McMillan2017-01-20
  9. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan for more than 19 years

Pros

McMillan is an great place to work, very creative atmosphere, great management team, talented team of creatives, and you can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Most of the work is B2B.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Love McMillan!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

Fantastic culture - amazingly talented people who want to do amazing things, dogs in the office, lots of fun activities. Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance. Great location, great space. An executive team who genuinely wants to listen to the team and make things the best they can be. Interesting, challenging clients. Proud to be a member of the McMillan team.

Cons

Maintaining the unique McMillan culture as we grow is a challenging endeavour.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Found 50 reviews