McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan CEO Pierre Paul Samson
Pierre Paul Samson
  1. "3 Month Feedback"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great working environment. Spoil everyone.

Cons

Really can't think of any at this time. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Great job at forming a culture of hard working atmosphere with an easy going way of life. Extremely impressive.

McMillan2017-07-24
  2. "Unique, supportive and well-balanced culture"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The agency was founded in 1996. So it is young enough to be fresh, exciting and open to new ideas. But it is established enough to have a solid HR function, well-trained and supportive managers, and an excellent work-life balance. As an agency, the clients' needs can often tip that balance during busy times but the agency is very accommodating to balance things out appropriately. It is a very fun, laid-back yet... professional environment. And with clients across the US and Europe, there are opportunities for more global exposure--and from time to time, travel.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are actually consistent with any creative agency of that size (80 people, +/-). Internal communication can be challenging and the inherent 'tension' that can exist between clients and creative pops up now and again.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture the amazing culture that exists. Develop talent from within the ranks.

McMillan2017-05-05

"High Class"

I worked at McMillan

Pros

Very professional personnel, some of them so friendly and collaborative.

Cons

In the mean time, there is a lot of politics.

McMillan2017-04-27
  4. "A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management - Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive - Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out" - Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with - Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts. - Industry standard... salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off) - Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time - Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

McMillan2017-03-14

"Review"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

-Fun location -dogs allowed - can work from home sometimes -alot of cool, talented people -chill & social atmosphere -off at Xmas - if there isn't a big job happening

Cons

- some people are really busy, some seem to have not much to do -Process isn't often followed especially when it gets really busy -can be lots of overtime and no warning about it -making the same pay as a job I had 10yrs ago - repetitive and not very creative work -favoritism toward some employees -salaries and bouses are random - high turnover -feedback doesn't always seem welcome - not much for training... or development to help moving up -stressful at times -emails at all hours

Advice to Management

-treat everyone as equal -balance the work better -make everyone use the proper processes -more opportunities to move up and get raises

McMillan2017-03-02
  6. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful incentives and internal team empowerment you're doing. I'm extremely grateful to be part of the McMillan family.

McMillan2017-03-01
  7. "Goods"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues and good environment

Cons

Need to overtime to finish the job

McMillan2017-03-01
  8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're... overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Advice to Management

Enforcing process among managers and creative directors. This will also cut back on people working additional overtime, as the account team/studio team can work to balance workload.

McMillan2017-02-28
  9. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Working on B2B has shifted the culture. It’s imperative that management acknowledge and address this. The culture is so embedded in all that McMillan does and it’s what makes it such a special place to work. Keeping the culture alive is critical.

McMillan2017-02-26
  10. "A good place to be and grow"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A very comfortable place to be/work. Good spread of young and old bringing fresh ideas and a wealth of experience on all fronts. The will and need to improve is ever present and acted on.

Cons

It can be busy (really busy) at times but that's the way it goes sometimes. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. <--- Con becomes a Pro.

McMillan2017-02-24