McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan Reviews

Updated 21 April, 2019

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director
    Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management
    - Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive
    - Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out"
    - Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with
    - Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts.
    - Industry standard salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off)
    - Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time
    - Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

2. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful incentives and internal team empowerment you're doing. I'm extremely grateful to be part of the McMillan family.

3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Advice to Management

Enforcing process among managers and creative directors. This will also cut back on people working additional overtime, as the account team/studio team can work to balance workload.

4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Working on B2B has shifted the culture. It’s imperative that management acknowledge and address this. The culture is so embedded in all that McMillan does and it’s what makes it such a special place to work. Keeping the culture alive is critical.

5. "A good place to be and grow"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very comfortable place to be/work. Good spread of young and old bringing fresh ideas and a wealth of experience on all fronts. The will and need to improve is ever present and acted on.

Cons

It can be busy (really busy) at times but that's the way it goes sometimes. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. <--- Con becomes a Pro.

"Review"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

-Fun location
    -dogs allowed
    - can work from home sometimes
    -alot of cool, talented people
    -chill & social atmosphere
    -off at Xmas - if there isn't a big job happening

Cons

- some people are really busy, some seem to have not much to do
    -Process isn't often followed especially when it gets really busy
    -can be lots of overtime and no warning about it
    -making the same pay as a job I had 10yrs ago
    - repetitive and not very creative work
    -favoritism toward some employees
    -salaries and bouses are random
    - high turnover
    -feedback doesn't always seem welcome
    - not much for training or development to help moving up
    -stressful at times
    -emails at all hours

Advice to Management

-treat everyone as equal
    -balance the work better
    -make everyone use the proper processes
    -more opportunities to move up and get raises

7. "One of the greatest!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work with an amazing group of people and I enjoy coming to work everyday. Not only are there extremely creative people here, but they are funny too. I love that there is always someone making us laugh, on a daily basis. It's like a big family. I've learned so much from working here and continue to do so from so much talent.

Cons

Can be stressful work at times and trying to juggle the workload from clients, can be crazy.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, some efforts do get overlooked as they are not always aware of who works on what and when.

8. "Solid!"

I have been working at McMillan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall an excellent place to work with great people and a relaxed environment. I personally enjoy the flexibility in hours and the ability to work from home. The management approach is hands-off with the expectation that your work gets done in a time manner.

Cons

Projects can sometimes have tight timelines which require extra hours. This is not the norm though and any extra time has been fairly compensated for.

9. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely atmosphere, extremely creative people, and has a very engaged management team.

Cons

It can be very busy at times.

10. "Great culture"

Pros

I've worked in many agency environments and it seems like cynicism pervades many of these cultures. This place is way different. Everyone has each others' back and there is a genuine concern for everyone on the team. I think the quality of the work could be better but I also believe there is nothing standing the way of doing better work. Everyone is given permission to do the best they can and is given lots of support, not only from management but also through on-site training and the ability to attend some pretty inspiring conference like SXSW and One Show summits.

Cons

Being a B2B Creative agency is a double-edged sword. It has definitely allowed the agency to focus on massive global clients, which I like. But it is sometimes difficult to persuade them to take risks to do great work. But that's a challenge I think we are game to take on.