McMillan Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2020

4.2
McMillan Founder and Chief Creative Officer  Gordon McMillan (no image)
Gordon McMillan
  1. "Every workplace needs an Albert."

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Amazing work environment with a great community of talented individuals. Profit sharing with tiers encourages everyone to strive to achieve more than the bare minimum. The office is closed for Christmas break so no need to use any vacation days around the holidays. 'The Albert' is a role that I am convinced every company should look into implementing. He stays on top of everything, and plays a large part in making the office a fun place to be.

Cons

Starting salary was less than expected.

McMillan Response

CEO

I agree—it’s a distinct and unique role, one that Ray is perfectly cast for! Thanks for your input on salaries, I’ll take an excerpt from our HR Manager: “In terms of salaries, benefits and time-off: it’s important to us that we’re a competitive creative agency, so we did a salary study last year. The results showed that employee wages exceed the national average for our industry. As you know, we also offer ample opportunity to work from home, unlimited personal appointment time, fun monthly events hosted by the company, end-of-year profit-sharing, and other great benefits. Still, there’s always room to do better, so we’ll take all of your feedback into consideration and are always open to hearing more. Thanks for you feedback.” Best, Pierre Paul

2. "Great culture and people!"

5.0

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no gossiping - the culture is very positive. Work culture is non-toxic - it's refreshing! Executives are approachable, friendly, real people. They have earned people's respect. All the employees are talented, inquisitive, and hard-working - we frequently share inspiration with each other. Projects have well put-together teams - there is a sense of collaboration, and feedback is encouraged which makes working with people really easy. There is a lot of participation in terms of social activities (of which there are a lot!) and the social committee works hard to make sure the events are unique and exciting. There is free fruit in the kitchens daily and candy in all the meeting rooms - and people bring in their dogs frequently!

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, and benefits package could be greatly improved: there are only 2 weeks of vacation to start and no group RRSP matching plan that is common in other workplaces. There is a lack of an established process for some things which can be hectic at times. They are aware and this is being worked on. Employee reviews are frequently held late. HR has set up the software to require an explanation for any time off booked (including personal appointments and vacations), which can be sensitive in terms of privacy. The company can do more in terms of establishing itself as a thought leader and involving itself in the community. Use social media more frequently!

McMillan Response

HR Coordinator

Hey there, thanks for your feedback. It sounds like overall, you’re happy at McMillan. And that makes us… well, happy! In the spirit of maintaining all this happiness, we’d like to address some of your concerns. In terms of salaries, benefits and time-off: it’s important to us that we’re a competitive creative agency, so we did a salary study last year. The results showed that employee wages exceed the national average for our industry. As you know, we also offer ample opportunity to work from home, unlimited personal appointment time, fun monthly events hosted by the company, end-of-year profit-sharing, and other great benefits. Still, there’s always room to do better, so we’ll take all of your feedback into consideration and are always open to hearing more. Thanks for you feedback.

3. "3 Month Feedback"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great working environment. Spoil everyone.

Cons

Really can't think of any at this time. Seriously.

"High Class"

I worked at McMillan

Pros

Very professional personnel, some of them so friendly and collaborative.

Cons

In the mean time, there is a lot of politics.

5. "A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management - Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive - Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out" - Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with - Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts. - Industry standard salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off) - Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time - Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

6. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Continue reading
  7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Continue reading
  8. "A good place to be and grow"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A very comfortable place to be/work. Good spread of young and old bringing fresh ideas and a wealth of experience on all fronts. The will and need to improve is ever present and acted on.

Cons

It can be busy (really busy) at times but that's the way it goes sometimes. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. <--- Con becomes a Pro.

"Review"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

-Fun location -dogs allowed - can work from home sometimes -alot of cool, talented people -chill & social atmosphere -off at Xmas - if there isn't a big job happening

Cons

- some people are really busy, some seem to have not much to do -Process isn't often followed especially when it gets really busy -can be lots of overtime and no warning about it -making the same pay as a job I had 10yrs ago - repetitive and not very creative work -favoritism toward some employees -salaries and bouses are random - high turnover -feedback doesn't always seem welcome - not much for training or development to help moving up -stressful at times -emails at all hours

Continue reading
  10. "One of the greatest!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I get to work with an amazing group of people and I enjoy coming to work everyday. Not only are there extremely creative people here, but they are funny too. I love that there is always someone making us laugh, on a daily basis. It's like a big family. I've learned so much from working here and continue to do so from so much talent.

Cons

Can be stressful work at times and trying to juggle the workload from clients, can be crazy.

Found 53 reviews