McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

McMillan Reviews

Updated 1 November, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid!"

I have been working at McMillan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall an excellent place to work with great people and a relaxed environment. I personally enjoy the flexibility in hours and the ability to work from home. The management approach is hands-off with the expectation that your work gets done in a time manner.

Cons

Projects can sometimes have tight timelines which require extra hours. This is not the norm though and any extra time has been fairly compensated for.

2. "Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely atmosphere, extremely creative people, and has a very engaged management team.

Cons

It can be very busy at times.

3. "Great culture"

Pros

I've worked in many agency environments and it seems like cynicism pervades many of these cultures. This place is way different. Everyone has each others' back and there is a genuine concern for everyone on the team. I think the quality of the work could be better but I also believe there is nothing standing the way of doing better work. Everyone is given permission to do the best they can and is given lots of support, not only from management but also through on-site training and the ability to attend some pretty inspiring conference like SXSW and One Show summits.

Cons

Being a B2B Creative agency is a double-edged sword. It has definitely allowed the agency to focus on massive global clients, which I like. But it is sometimes difficult to persuade them to take risks to do great work. But that's a challenge I think we are game to take on.

4. "Great company culture!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great company culture
    Wonderful coworkers who support and lift each-other up
    Given lots of autonomy
    Clients with budgets you can really make an impact with
    Respectful work environment
    Culture of transparency and accountability
    QA department
    Bonus tied to profit

Cons

Growing pains - managing growth and maintaining work/life balance

Advice to Management

Walk around and listen - you might be surprised what you'll learn!

5. "Is this part optional?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving and considerate than this one. Everyone is especially nice - a very warm agency environment.

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.

6. "Best employer I've ever had. Honestly."

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan is a dream. The management is open, transparent and inclusive (not to mention ultra-friendly and approachable). Employees are valued, appreciated and compensated fairly. Professional development is strongly encouraged. The environment is open, creative and encouraging. The culture and values is something I've never experienced and can't really describe - dedicated creative professionals who work hard, play hard and genuinely love to come to work.

Cons

B2B can be challenging and demotivating sometimes. Projects are large and tend to last for very long periods of time with no end in sight. But to counter that, we're given the opportunity to work on moral-boosting fun pro-bono work regularly.

Advice to Management

Your openness and appreciation for your staff is the glue that keeps the culture strong. Keep doing what you're doing. You have an army supporting you.

7. "Review"

Pros

- Great team
    - Good perks and benefits

Cons

- Work/Life balance is hard to maintain
    - There is an inconsistency of how people are treated, which leads to varied experiences depending on the your position in the company
    - The salary is low compared to the industry standard
    - There is barely any movement for advancement and growth
    - There is a culture of fear: Fear of saying anything bad about the company (people are always scared to lose their jobs)

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees in your company (salary and promotions). Stop the favouritism and treat people based on their work ethic.

McMillan Response

22 Feb, 2017

Thanks for your candid feedback. We try our best but, yeah, we don’t have all the answers. If you’re game, please reach out to me or Rob. We’d love to brainstorm on how to make things better. Gordon... More

8. "Simply the best!"

Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - The Albert in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great talent. Awesome perks (volunteer days, fun events, dogs in the office, etc.). A very liberal environment, designed to the hilt for comfort and creativity. The executive is invested in full transparency and updates us regularly around company goals and status. I never dreamed I'd get to work in such a cool place with such cool people.

Cons

There's overtime to work when it's there, but it's very reasonable in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, and keep reaching for the stars.

9. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan (More than 10 years)

Pros

McMillan is an great place to work, very creative atmosphere, great management team, talented team of creatives, and you can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Most of the work is B2B.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Love McMillan!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Account Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture - amazingly talented people who want to do amazing things, dogs in the office, lots of fun activities. Emphasis is on doing great work while maintaining a work/life balance. Great location, great space. An executive team who genuinely wants to listen to the team and make things the best they can be. Interesting, challenging clients. Proud to be a member of the McMillan team.

Cons

Maintaining the unique McMillan culture as we grow is a challenging endeavour.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!