McMillan Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2020

4.1
McMillan Founder and Chief Creative Officer  Gordon McMillan (no image)
Gordon McMillan

"The Future"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's been nearly four months since McMillan's owner had to make an incredibly difficult decision to completely restructure his company that he started back in 96. Unfortunately it resulted in many layoffs, including extraordinarily talented individuals and dear friends of mine. It has not been easy on the soul... But with this change there has been career growth opportunities for myself and my colleagues that were fortunate enough to be part of the new era. We are now a much smaller version of what we were which has created a tighter knit crew, internal efficiencies from the removal of layers across disciplines, and the feeling like your contributions are truly noticed, appreciated and necessary to the company's success. Though we lost incredibly talented people and friends during this restructure process, those of us that remain are committed to having fun while collaborating with each other to create great work that we're proud of. Autonomy is at an all-time high which has always been a core attribute I've appreciated during my years at McMillan. We expect each other to be good teammates and communicate effectively if we are relying on each other. When you know you can rely on your colleague to give you the information you need to create great work, great things can happen. The biggest positive change I have noticed over the past few months is that everyone has a voice. Good ideas are good ideas and get actioned quickly. No matter if you are a new designer out of college or managing the day-to-day office needs of your colleagues; if you have an idea that makes us a stronger company, it gets listened to and actioned. This is a huge benefit of working in a small group with people that are extremely talented at their craft and what they are responsible for.

Cons

Not enough dogs at the office anymore. The Albert no longer works here.

Continue reading
  2. "Positive workplace with a growing performance culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

No egos Competitive salary and benefits Friendly and supportive working environment Not hierarchical Focused on positive growth and performance Respectful Fun Locally owned and operated No micro-management styles

Cons

Opportunity to improve and formalize some processes for how teams can/should work together. At times teams people can become silo'd and lack clarity roles and expectations for projects. Opportunity to become firmer with regards to performance management to help demonstrate clear and defined expectations.

May 1, 2019CEO

Thanks for your positive input. We’ll strive to keep it up as we move the needle. I appreciate your comments on structure and process. As part of our growth plan, we’re transitioning to a model that allows for more flexibility, higher creative value, and better client responsiveness. It’s a constant juggle that requires patience and adjustments along the way, but we know we’ll land it. Best, Pierre Paul

3. "Every workplace needs an Albert."

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Amazing work environment with a great community of talented individuals. Profit sharing with tiers encourages everyone to strive to achieve more than the bare minimum. The office is closed for Christmas break so no need to use any vacation days around the holidays. 'The Albert' is a role that I am convinced every company should look into implementing. He stays on top of everything, and plays a large part in making the office a fun place to be.

Cons

Starting salary was less than expected.

May 1, 2019CEO

I agree—it’s a distinct and unique role, one that Ray is perfectly cast for! Thanks for your input on salaries, I’ll take an excerpt from our HR Manager: “In terms of salaries, benefits and time-off: it’s important to us that we’re a competitive creative agency, so we did a salary study last year. The results showed that employee wages exceed the national average for our industry. As you know, we also offer ample opportunity to work from home, unlimited personal appointment time, fun monthly events hosted by the company, end-of-year profit-sharing, and other great benefits. Still, there’s always room to do better, so we’ll take all of your feedback into consideration and are always open to hearing more. Thanks for you feedback.” Best, Pierre Paul

4. "Great culture and people!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no gossiping - the culture is very positive. Work culture is non-toxic - it's refreshing! Executives are approachable, friendly, real people. They have earned people's respect. All the employees are talented, inquisitive, and hard-working - we frequently share inspiration with each other. Projects have well put-together teams - there is a sense of collaboration, and feedback is encouraged which makes working with people really easy. There is a lot of participation in terms of social activities (of which there are a lot!) and the social committee works hard to make sure the events are unique and exciting. There is free fruit in the kitchens daily and candy in all the meeting rooms - and people bring in their dogs frequently!

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, and benefits package could be greatly improved: there are only 2 weeks of vacation to start and no group RRSP matching plan that is common in other workplaces. There is a lack of an established process for some things which can be hectic at times. They are aware and this is being worked on. Employee reviews are frequently held late. HR has set up the software to require an explanation for any time off booked (including personal appointments and vacations), which can be sensitive in terms of privacy. The company can do more in terms of establishing itself as a thought leader and involving itself in the community. Use social media more frequently!

January 15, 2019HR Coordinator

Hey there, thanks for your feedback. It sounds like overall, you’re happy at McMillan. And that makes us… well, happy! In the spirit of maintaining all this happiness, we’d like to address some of your concerns. In terms of salaries, benefits and time-off: it’s important to us that we’re a competitive creative agency, so we did a salary study last year. The results showed that employee wages exceed the national average for our industry. As you know, we also offer ample opportunity to work from home, unlimited personal appointment time, fun monthly events hosted by the company, end-of-year profit-sharing, and other great benefits. Still, there’s always room to do better, so we’ll take all of your feedback into consideration and are always open to hearing more. Thanks for you feedback.

5. "3 Month Feedback"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great working environment. Spoil everyone.

Cons

Really can't think of any at this time. Seriously.

Continue reading
  6. "A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management - Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive - Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out" - Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with - Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts. - Industry standard salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off) - Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time - Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

7. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Continue reading
  8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Continue reading
  9. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Continue reading
  10. "A good place to be and grow"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A very comfortable place to be/work. Good spread of young and old bringing fresh ideas and a wealth of experience on all fronts. The will and need to improve is ever present and acted on.

Cons

It can be busy (really busy) at times but that's the way it goes sometimes. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. <--- Con becomes a Pro.

Found 55 reviews