McMillan Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.5
McMillan CEO and Chief Creative Officer Gordon McMillan
Gordon McMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great culture and people!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no gossiping - the culture is very positive. Work culture is non-toxic - it's refreshing!

Executives are approachable, friendly, real people. They have earned people's respect.

All the employees are talented, inquisitive, and hard-working - we frequently share inspiration with each other.

Projects have well put-together teams - there is a sense of collaboration, and feedback is encouraged which makes working with people really easy.

There is a lot of participation in terms of social activities (of which there are a lot!) and the social committee works hard to make sure the events are unique and exciting.

There is free fruit in the kitchens daily and candy in all the meeting rooms - and people bring in their dogs frequently!

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, and benefits package could be greatly improved: there are only 2 weeks of vacation to start and no group RRSP matching plan that is common in other workplaces.

There is a lack of an established process for some things which can be hectic at times. They are aware and this is being worked on.

Employee reviews are frequently held late.

HR has set up the software to require an explanation for any time off booked (including personal appointments and vacations), which can be sensitive in terms of privacy.

The company can do more in terms of establishing itself as a thought leader and involving itself in the community. Use social media more frequently!

Advice to Management

HR policies should be reviewed to ensure that they make sense and are competitive. Other than that - keep it up!

2. "3 Month Feedback"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

Great working environment. Spoil everyone.

Cons

Really can't think of any at this time. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Great job at forming a culture of hard working atmosphere with an easy going way of life. Extremely impressive.

3. "A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director
    Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management
    - Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive
    - Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out"
    - Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with
    - Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts.
    - Industry standard salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off)
    - Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time
    - Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

4. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful incentives and internal team empowerment you're doing. I'm extremely grateful to be part of the McMillan family.

5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Advice to Management

Enforcing process among managers and creative directors. This will also cut back on people working additional overtime, as the account team/studio team can work to balance workload.

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan has created a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. They foster collaboration and entrepreneurship while providing challenging work opportunities. The work environment fosters teamwork and creativity and is flexible and laid back.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Working on B2B has shifted the culture. It’s imperative that management acknowledge and address this. The culture is so embedded in all that McMillan does and it’s what makes it such a special place to work. Keeping the culture alive is critical.

7. "A good place to be and grow"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very comfortable place to be/work. Good spread of young and old bringing fresh ideas and a wealth of experience on all fronts. The will and need to improve is ever present and acted on.

Cons

It can be busy (really busy) at times but that's the way it goes sometimes. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. <--- Con becomes a Pro.

8. "One of the greatest!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work with an amazing group of people and I enjoy coming to work everyday. Not only are there extremely creative people here, but they are funny too. I love that there is always someone making us laugh, on a daily basis. It's like a big family. I've learned so much from working here and continue to do so from so much talent.

Cons

Can be stressful work at times and trying to juggle the workload from clients, can be crazy.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, some efforts do get overlooked as they are not always aware of who works on what and when.

9. "Best employer I've ever had. Honestly."

Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time

Pros

McMillan is a dream. The management is open, transparent and inclusive (not to mention ultra-friendly and approachable). Employees are valued, appreciated and compensated fairly. Professional development is strongly encouraged. The environment is open, creative and encouraging. The culture and values is something I've never experienced and can't really describe - dedicated creative professionals who work hard, play hard and genuinely love to come to work.

Cons

B2B can be challenging and demotivating sometimes. Projects are large and tend to last for very long periods of time with no end in sight. But to counter that, we're given the opportunity to work on moral-boosting fun pro-bono work regularly.

Advice to Management

Your openness and appreciation for your staff is the glue that keeps the culture strong. Keep doing what you're doing. You have an army supporting you.

10. "Is this part optional?"

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With almost every advertising/marketing agency these days being governed by international holding companies or by a distant c-suite who only observes work from the ledger sheet at their desk, it's refreshing to work somewhere that truly cares about work/life balance. While you may have to work outside a typical 8-hour day or travel, you cannot work in marketing/advertising atmosphere that's more caring, forgiving and considerate than this one. Everyone is especially nice - a very warm agency environment.

Cons

While the investment of time and attention in client work is extremely high, not everyone is as motivated as others to create 'the best' work. Clients win but sometimes the opportunities can feel slim if you're a creative.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit and warm environment that's been fostered over the past 20 years.