Mattersight Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2018

Found 15 of over 77 reviews

3.3
Mattersight CEO of NICE Barak Eilam (no image)
Barak Eilam
Pros
  • "They have an above average work-life balance, you won't get burnt out and you get plenty of PTO(in 15 reviews)

• "A lot of smart people and a lot of opportunities to have real responsibility early in your career(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management is not in touch with the rest of the company and does not communicate well about developments and setbacks(in 5 reviews)

• "no Team Building activities outside of work in the Austin office(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sinking, Directionless Company with Talented Individuals and Great Team Culture

Jun 19, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work life balance is manageable. It is not uncommon to see folks work under 40 hours a week - Each team has solid culture, due to smart, hardworking individuals from prestigious universities - Convenient location in downtown Chicago - With continuous employee turnover, job opportunities are available for personal growth and development

Cons

- Senior management and above appear to be more concerned with their bonuses rather than investments in the future of the company - The organization seems to be sinking under the weight of financial struggles with no relief around the corner - Management appears to have no appreciation for employees due to sub par market-rate compensation and practically no benefits (lack of 401k matching, depressing lunchroom 'snacks') - Inefficient processes disrupt productivity and plague every step along the way, from planning, design and development to product management, testing and implementation - Lack of company wide culture due to persistent state of paralysis from employees being stretched so thin - Little to no communication across departments leads to scenarios where sales teams up-sell and promise much more than the folks below can chew and churn out - Deteriorating employee engagement; not aided by certain senior managers whose day-to-day responsibilities maintain an illusion of business impact and significance, albeit with no real results

10 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ambitious company with great talent and cool products

Aug 18, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mattersight employs bright, dynamic people who challenge each other in a productive way. Most individuals have some unique skillset or edge that contributes to their personal brand. There are new puzzles to solve daily, which keeps the work interesting. The office in Chicago is a fantastic work space that affords collaboration and team building. If you put in the effort here, you will grow personally and professionally. No employee is “too junior” to contribute to the future of the product line. Management is open to, if not encouraging of, innovative ideas from any team member. Work-life balance is really a thing here, if you’re willing to setting boundaries. Many employees belong to IM sports leagues, pursue graduate degrees, or have regular volunteer commitments. Most of management is very supportive of using your vacation time.

Cons

Unaddressed product limitations can create difficult situations for employees who work with client users on a daily basis. That said, I have seen several key efforts in the past year to overcome these challenges. Despite a renewed focus on increased communication and transparency, messages from leadership can seem superficial and redundant.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love working for Mattersight

Jun 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management and coworkers consistently put people first through great times and hard times. It's an IT company, so you're going to have some encroachment on your life, but on the whole it's truly excellent work/life balance. I can't imagine a more supportive employer. You're encouraged to pursue your work interests, even if they lead you to other teams. If you've got great ideas and effort, you can make a real impact no matter what level you're at or what team you work on. Great people to work with across the board. For being a small company, employment and org structure has been quite stable. Seems like my friends at big companies have way more layoffs and general instability than we do. Cool and unique proprietary technology. Lots of things to keep a scientific, technology, or data driven mind interested. Top level management very accessible and supportive. They're involved and in touch with the technical operating details of our business.

Cons

Waiting anxiously for our business to take off! I'm a bit jealous of IT companies that scale up big time. Hoping we someday are in that group.

1 person found this review helpful

Mattersight Response

Chief People Officer

I love this review! Your experiences are what we want all employees to experience. Thank you for growing your career with us and let’s keep working towards that goal together! - Melissa

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Exciting Time To Be At Mattersight!!

Aug 6, 2015 - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive trajectory – incredible growth Great benefits Supportive management Work-life balance Great office environment Have not been at Mattersight long but the company has fantastic culture, great work-life balance, and good pay and benefits. The company has been growing by leaps and bounds and it truly seems to be a great time to be part of the organization. There really is no comparable technology out there so the company has a solid foundation from a product standpoint. Mattersight has an incredible vision and is truly passionate about showcasing its revolutionary technology. This is evident from top to bottom, as there is ample support from management and the leaders are really here to see you succeed. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for that start up culture but with a stable secure company.

Cons

I haven't noticed any issues yet.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Success is Perpetually Around the Corner.

Jan 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really smart, committed people. Neat new Chicago office with 'tech' perks like games and beer. Pretty good work / life balance and managers who care about making sure it's real Think the idea behind the product is fantastic so it's hard to understand why the company hasn't seen real growth yet

Cons

We were continually told how close we were to breaking out and growing rapidly and it never happened. It was always around the next corner and the company has yet to get there. The core 3 at the top of the company haven't changed in years and it seems that they're bulletproof and well compensated no matter the results. Other than those 3, we have cycled through leaders in multiple parts of the company without meaningful change happening. Never could understand why the Board didn't take any action to improve the company although one of them is now the cfo so maybe that will change.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Pinch me I must be dreaming

Nov 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I could go on and on about the pros but I'll keep it simple Mattersight and your managers truly care about you as an individual, it's always felt like family. They have an above average work-life balance, you won't get burnt out and you get plenty of PTO. The work is so incredibly interesting and fulfilling, I love talking to my peers and learning more about what new products are coming along.

Cons

Wish we could have pets in the office, but other than that nothing really.

3 people found this review helpful

Mattersight Response

Chief People Officer

Thanks for calling out the interesting and fulfilling work as well our efforts in building an employee-centric culture. Working together, we are accomplishing great things! Listening to and responding to employee feedback is a key part of our success. Glad you are part of our Austin team ! Melissa

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

My experience was very positive due to having a great supervisor.

Feb 22, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

For the most part, the work was challenging and I learned a lot during my time there. The work-life balance was great by the time I left, mostly due to my efforts to make the role more manageable.

Cons

I worked in Global Support, which did not get pay increases nearly as often as the revenue generating employees.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people, great environment

Sep 23, 2016 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Mattersight less than a year, but my experience so far has been wonderful. Work/life balance is excellent and I am surrounded by extremely intelligent people who are always willing to help. Benefits are pretty good and you can tell that there is an effort made to keep employees happy. The office space is very nice and the free food doesn't hurt!

Cons

Timelines and budgets can make some projects difficult. I also get the sense that some team members are stuck in their ways, which can make creativity difficult as well.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Innovative company with great growth opportunities.

Dec 4, 2012 - Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Groundbreaking technology. Mattersight is the industry leader in enterprise analytics with a unique solution. -Extremely intelligent and driven-professionals -Visibility & growth offered early in career. Organic growth model encourages employee development internally -Work/life balance -Company Culture

Cons

-Communication was lacking in the past. Company has taken steps to improve this -Unique value proposition can lead to lengthy sales cycles

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Happy Employee

Jan 9, 2013 - Analyst in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work life balance - Wonderful Team Enviroment - Opportunites to learn new skills -Opportunity for advancement if you show your worth

Cons

no Team Building activities outside of work in the Austin office .

1 person found this review helpful