Marketwired Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Feb 14, 2017

Found 8 of over 87 reviews

2.7
Marketwired CEO Adnan Ahmed
Adnan Ahmed
Pros
  • "When I worked at Marketwired, I had the benefit of a kind boss that hired me directly out of University (with no prior experience)(in 9 reviews)

• "Most fellow employees are great people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management is out of touch with what editorial does for the company(in 8 reviews)

• "Senior management seems extremely out of touch and there is a huge amount of client issues that plague the editorial department(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0

Great talent, confused management

Sep 15, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well, good benefits package, pension matching (at least when I worked there). Lots of great, talented people to work with and friends to make.

Cons

Lots of politics, lack of transparency. At times upper management seemed confused and felt like they were spinning in circles, trying to please the board.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Zero company culture / poor prospects

Feb 14, 2017 - Senior Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good co-workers, reasonable hours, some interesting projects, good location.

Cons

Poor upper management, lack of vision, terrible company culture, dying industry.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not amazing, but it's a paycheck.

Aug 17, 2015 - Editor in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food on Mondays during earnings periods. Relaxed work environment. Benefits are average. Not great, but not terrible. For a first-time job in this industry, it's not awful and looks good on a resume. Salary is okay, but don't expect it to ever go up. Supervisors are understanding if you get sick and will work with you if you need extra days off.

Cons

Work environment could stand to be less relaxed when it's busy. Canadian offices get benefits US offices don't, including gym stipends and 401k matching. Upper management is completely disconnected from people who actually work for the company. Requests to fix broken systems that clients complain about are often brushed off in favor of "new innovations." Editorial department is frequently crippled by sales department promising things editorial can't actually deliver. Bonuses are middling, raises (when they actually happen) are pathetic. Management has excuses for any problem within the company. The word "industry innovation" usually comes up when they don't want to do something but don't want to give you an actual reason why, even when no industry innovations are involved. Right now, HR only hires for part-time positions, which open rarely. Part-time can become full-time, but it doesn't happen often, and you'll probably find something better somewhere else long before they make the full-time offer.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not enjoying the military-type atmosphere that's been created by upper management. Really hope things get better soon!

Mar 20, 2014 - Non-Management in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Location -Salary -My immediate manager and their manager. I like working with them. -My job: I like what I do. -My co-workers (most)

Cons

-HR walks around with a chip on their shoulder, giving off an 'uneasy feeling'...'Human Resources' - Who do you work for? - Upper management or employees? Upper management? Thought so. -Upper management does not seem to care about the employees -The periodic 'Town Halls' are a waste of company time and money...last time I checked, a Town Hall was somewhere people could air their concerns and opinions, not sit there for 2+ hours and be talked AT. -Communication among departments is very, very poor -Everyone's a director. -Sadly, it seems as if we're going backwards, not forwards -Upper management changes direction/plans so often, it's confusing - we need to get organized and fast.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not such a bad place

Aug 26, 2015 - Senior Editor in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Immediate supervisor was great and helpful. The editors here are some of the brightest, hard working people you'll find.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with what editorial does for the company. There's not much room for growth.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Garbage Pay/ Garbage Benefits/ Garbage Leadership/ Garbage Growth

Aug 10, 2015 - Editor in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I leave the door.

Cons

Everything! From the low pay to the joke benefits, I have lost all hope for this company and I am looking elsewhere as we speak. There is no light at the end of the tunnel they keep promising, I don't trust upper management and morale is low. With 20 people leaving our department alone. Also some of the co-workers, not all, some are the biggest sycophants I have ever seen.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Troubled place to work Any reviews that say this is a great place to work are coming directly from HR

Nov 18, 2013 - Client Relations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people in my office are great, fun and intelligent people.

Cons

Most people at this company are incredibly dumb and lazy - upper management leading the way. Onward and upward as they like to put it - yet every decision they make takes us 2 steps back. The benefits are an absolute joke, no matching 401k, terrible vacation policy, and they will not adjust your salary if you move to a more expensive city (for work.) HR is a total hack job, they are all buddy-buddy with upper management and work with them to cover up all their backstabbing ways. I would never recommend anyone to work here - seriously, unless you are absolutely desperate don't apply or take a job with this company. Cheap cheap and cheap - that is the best word to describe this company. In order to make any sales you have to either 1) be dumb and naive enough to buy into the "products" we are selling - most of which are broken or 2) be ok with lying and deceiving clients to get their money.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

All about revenue growth - not career growth

Jan 30, 2011 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some really good, nice, core employees - Well positioned product for budget-wary clients or those wishing to meet minimum disclosure - Good training/springboard job for entry level sales and editorial type positions - Decent reputation in several Canadian markets

Cons

- Little to no communication from upper management. 1-2 "rah rah" emails a year. - No opportunity for equity and company doesn't invest in training, tuition help, 401K matching or other career partnering benefits. - Lacks innovation. Business model is to copy the competition and win business on lower price. - Due to the merger of two companies, it's rife with politics, information hoarding, and misaligned resources. - No sales teams internationally, making it tough to compete with others in the space. - Annual bonus plan offered but never delivered or explained

3 people found this review helpful