Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester Managing Partner Steven D Manning
Steven D Manning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good people and good pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at all levels are easy to get along with. You generally work in a team atmosphere. Good pay too!

Cons

Billable hour requirement was highest of any firm I’ve worked and lots of time gets written off. Did not offer much in terms of career growth.

Advice to Management

Better technology tools for staff to utilize to create more efficiency.

"You Get What You Give"

Current Employee - Mid Level Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mid Level Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Partners are by far the most gracious, helpful, and approachable partners I have ever worked with. They are quick to discuss solutions rather than allocate blame. They truly want to do what they can to make sure everyone is successful because ultimately that’s how the firm is going to be successful. Billing requirements are “high” but you get a bonus just for meeting your goal, so in that sense the billable requirement is more of a goal or objective to provoke you to make bonus than it is a hard and fast line.

Cons

No direct deposit, but the real reason for this is that the partners like to come around to each office and personally hand out the paycheck(s) and give you some encouragement in an area of practice they feel you are excelling in. So while it’s not all that convenient to have to spend 30 extra seconds taking a photo of your check to deposit it, the benefit of making employees feel appreciated is worth it in my opinions

The true downside is the way expense reports are done. Associates are expected to front the cost for work related expenses and then fill out an expense report requesting reimbursement. Unfortunately you rarely receive the reimbursement check from the firm’s accounting department before the credit card payment is due, which means you could theoretically be paying interest out of pocket on money advanced on behalf of the client. To be clear, that interest money comes out of the employees pocket and personal funds, not the employer’s or the client’s. Given the size of the firm it doesn’t seem too much to ask to have company credit cards distributed, at least to senior associates and above.

Advice to Management

(1) Explain in some depth the various resources and assets that are available to associates and staff to use in performing their jobs. Three years came and went and one of the administrative assistants had no knowledge of the firm’s media center for example. This seems unnecessary.
    (2) If you expect associates to transition from solely being zealous attorney’s to become marketing specialists as a prerequisite on their track to partnership but you fail to provide them with sufficient guidance or resources, they are destined for failure in this regard. Provide information on how the firm can and will help its attorneys step into the realm of marketing and then make it happen.
    (3) Consider company credit cards—on a small scale first. The perpetual multi document reports each month seems insufficient and convoluted based on my observations.
    (4) Consider getting rid of the tower computers altogether in lieu of tower/desktop computers. In an effort to remain frugal, keep all the monitors and accessories so that the laptops can be plugged in and operated like a desk top computer when being used in the office.

Honestly MKERT is a fantastic firm to work. If you want to learn how to be a good lawyer, work at MKERT. The foregoing are merely a few basic requests which many similar firms—some of which are significantly smaller with many less resources—have already implemented with great success.

3. "Attorney"

I worked at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time

Pros

Generally good attorneys. Experience largely dependent on the team you work with, which can be a plus or a minus.

Cons

Rough hours and poor support resources.

"Great Place to Practice Law"

Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a mid to large sized law firm, the culture here cannot be beat. The senior partners are accessible and supportive of their attorneys. Likewise, your colleagues are easy to work with and genuinely happy and nice people. The firm supports your personal and professional endeavors and takes interest in the well being of everyone.

Cons

None (unless you don't want to work DTLA).

5. "Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

I have been given career opportunities I have never received at other firms. I have been able to help land clients, try cases, and I have lots of client contact. Great work environment, with good people that seem to care about our development.

Cons

None other than general complaints about insurance defense.

"Associate"

I worked at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time

Pros

There are some nice people. Wide array of practice areas.

Cons

Below market compensation. Obscenely high billable hour requirement. Competition among partners bleeds down through the ranks. Lack of respect toward associates and staff. Poor marketing opportunities. I am now a partner with a far better firm - better resources, more respect, more support. So glad I left MKERT.

Advice to Management

You won't take it anyway so why bother.

7. "Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Great co-workers; good benefits; great location; I am always busy

Cons

Bonus based upon longevity instead of contribution and quality

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Think about revising the bonus structure

8. "Legal assistant"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant

Pros

Most of the attorneys are super nice

Cons

Office is one of the branches and a bit distant from the HR department

"Chaos in SF: Understaffed and disorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Manning & Kass Ellrod Rameriz Trester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The SF office is in a great location.

Cons

The firm HQ is in southern CA; the San Francisco office is treated like an afterthought.
    There are more partners than associates in the SF office. Turf wars between attorneys are common and support staff is caught in the middle.
    Attorneys treat staff inappropriately - raised voices, insults and humiliation in front of others are almost daily occurrences.
    No direct deposit, lousy benefits, and a laissez faire attitude from HR leads to a difficult working atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Give some attention to the SF office to get your house in order. The nonshare partners are wasting time and money while the support staff tries to keep up, the managing partner remains oblivious.
    Abusive, degrading behavior by attorneys towards staff is permitted, despite a long history of staff complaints.

10. "Legal Assistant"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Great work environment, amazing co-workers (staff & attorneys), and great support (records clerks & mail room clerks).

Cons

There is no direct deposit.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the feedback and keep doing what you are doing. I sincerely appreciate the way things are done here.