Manning Architects Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Manning Architects Reviews

Updated Nov 5, 2019

3.8
Manning Architects CEO William R Manning FAIA (no image)
William R Manning FAIA
  1. "Works"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been here two years and enjoy it. I've spent years at marketing and boutique graphic design firms and in comparison it's a bit more corporate. I tend to stay focused and blast through my workload so that's fine with me... Yes jokes are cracked and fun is had but it's fairly straight-laced. I work directly with the Principals and CEO daily and they are all honest and reasonable which is all I can ask for. They... like to promote from within which I really appreciate. I don't get the negativity others have posted about... Maybe the straight-forwardness comes off rude to some? I see as being honest and I like that. I've never heard yelling or toxic language.

Cons

CBD parking is expensive. It's not a super fun party-time workplace but I'd rather blast through my work and have fun after. I'd rather not cut up all day and work late.

Manning Architects2019-11-05

"Do Not Work Here - at all costs"

I worked at Manning Architects full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free breakfast once a week.

Cons

Emotionally abusive CEO who makes decisions based on ego and changing whims. Employees work with a constant CYA mindset based off of fear and need to check boxes versus efficiency and collaborative growth. Stay far away, you will only be looking for a new job within months. Truly a toxic and fear-based corporate culture.

Advice to Management

No advice, the poison comes directly from the top.

Manning Architects2019-01-25

"Stay away!"

I worked at Manning Architects full-time

Pros

Free breakfast/lunch is provided at times

Cons

No stability, no structure, no respect for employees

Advice to Management

Restructure the entire company

Manning Architects2018-01-24
  4. "Exciting Office Environment, Strong Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for less than a year

Pros

Manning Architects is a fun environment to work in, coworkers are awesome, projects are exciting, and staff are encouraged to be involved throughout the many aspects of the design process. Senior staff are more than willing to offer guidance and support when needed. Staff members come from a variety of educational backgrounds, and it is awesome to hear and learn from everyone's experience. Manning offers incentives... for LEED certification among other things, which is also a huge perk.

Cons

As with all design firms, everyone is running on different schedules, and sometimes coordinating communications can be difficult. However, it is clear that everyone does their best to be available as much as possible. There is a strong sense of camaraderie in this office

Advice to Management

In the fast-paced office world, a pat on the back goes a long way. Keep up the good work!

Manning Architects2017-04-10
  5. "Positive Learning Environment"

Architectural Designer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Manning Architects for less than a year

Pros

Working with Manning Architects has been a very positive experience. It is a firm that encourages professional development and helps its employees achieve individual career goals, such as Licensure and LEED accreditation. The company strives to adapt to new business techniques, from using new technology to well-being in the office place. Projects move quickly, and a high level of engagement and productivity is... expected, but guidance is readily available.

Cons

Nothing new to the architecture scene, occasionally need to stay a few hours late or come in on a weekend day.

Manning Architects2016-05-17
  6. "A Place to Grow"

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

Manning Architects is a place where you can grow professionally. You are continually given tasks outside your comfort zone which allow you to gain new skills and experience with diverse complex projects. You have to be able to work well with people as every project is a collaborative effort. It’s important that you have a good attitude and are able to handle the at times intense environment. You are supported by... your colleagues and encouraged to be successful. The company offers amazing benefits and the people here are great to work with.

Cons

In this fast paced field, stress levels can at times hit the roof. During these times we might fail to communicate effectively in order to meet a deadline.

Advice to Management

Continue to support open, positive communication with all levels of the office. Acknowledge the company’s accomplishments and be optimistic for the future.

Manning Architects2016-05-10
  7. "Exciting and diverse projects; Opportunity to create your path to success"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I started my career at Manning Architects straight out of college and have been part of the team for nearly 12 years. I believe one of the most positive components of the company's approach to the profession is the willingness to allow individuals the opportunity to demonstrate their strengths in the workplace and ability to succeed in the industry. This attitude fosters an environment that challenges employees to... move forward with changing technologies, contribute ideas to improve processes and approaches, and work towards individual goals that also support a common vision within the company. I believe diversity in the background of Manning's team members is also a result of a company culture that offers opportunity to individuals willing to challenge themselves to find their strengths and establish their position in the profession. I have had the opportunity to be involved with many exciting projects at Manning Architects including a variety of different project types. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every project, on an individual and team level.

Cons

I would like to see Manning Architects re-establish a retirement plan benefit option with some level of company matching. Occasional 3 week pay periods during the year can also be burdensome to employees.

Advice to Management

There will always be new ideas with the potential to benefit the company moving forward. I believe it is important to maintain the attitude that change is an inevitable and positive thing. We want to be open to the possibility that new ideas and better solutions will always be out there - and may come to us from unlikely places!

Manning Architects2016-05-09
  8. "Company Review"

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time

Pros

Manning strives to provide every tool needed for employes to be successful in both professional and personal goals. Great people who work hard but also love getting involved in the community with fun and cultural experiences.

Cons

Manning does a good job of always looking to improve and managers are definitely approachable about issues. The drawbacks is that there is no 401K matching or direct deposit.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Office cultures are changing, especially architecture firms. Employee health and happiness is a large part of success. Always be approachable and open to suggestion.

Manning Architects2016-05-07
  9. "Great opportunity for motivated employees"

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In my time at Manning I have been giving the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects in terms of scale, complexity & cost. One thing that Manning is great at is allowing an employee to step a role that they previously may have not had. In the time that I’ve been here no one has ever told me I couldn’t do a task because I didn’t have “x” years of experience or because I hadn’t done that prior. The only... limiting factor was how hard I wanted to push. Different project team and leaders accomplish this at different levels and with varying levels of success but overall motivated employees succeed here.

Cons

At times the focus on short term goals/deadlines/etc. has a negative effect on the long term results of projects and firm development.

Advice to Management

Set goals, work to achieve goals, set new goals – repeat. More feedback for employees and more opportunity to give feedback to management.

Manning Architects2016-05-05
  10. "Interesting and respectable employer"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Manning Architects full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good communication between management and staff. Management is engaged in all aspects of the work, and in fostering continual improvement. Expectations are clearly conveyed, staff is empowered and expected to be actively involved, and assistance is given if requested. The company and its principals are well-respected in the industry and in the locale, and the projects are interesting.

Cons

Parking in the building runs about $20/day, and no employee discount or stipend is offered. All of the bike parking is out in the elements. The workspace is quite open; this allows for ease of interaction, but increases the potential for noise from impromptu meetings and office machinery.

Advice to Management

Consider offering discounted parking options for employees. Consider designing and installing a bike rack. Challenge your clients to aggressively incorporate renewable energy sources and "green" practices into their designs and plans.

Manning Architects2016-05-04