Magic Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Magic Reviews

Updated 9 Sep 2019

4.2
Magic CEO Mike Chen (no image)
Mike Chen
  1. "Magical Workplace"

Current Employee - Magician

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. Transparency is valued.

Cons

Not much growth opportunity once you get to the team lead position.

Magic2019-09-10
  2. "If you're looking for a place where your craziness belong, Magic brings it to you."

Current Employee - Creative Solutions Specialist

I have been working at Magic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work at your own convenience. A working laptop and an internet connection is all you need. Doesn't matter where you are in the world, doesn't matter what time. Also, awesome peeps to work with. All coming from different walks of life. You get to discover and appreciate each and everyone's creativity. Also, they value their main asset: their people.

Cons

None so far. Not lacking anything for now.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people.

Magic2019-08-01

"Great Work v Life Balance"

Current Employee - Creative Solutions Specialist

I have been working at Magic part-time for less than a year

Pros

For part-timers: They will let you work with what free time you have. Which is great for those with irregular schedules, like those with other jobs, or moms with kids/family to take care of. If you suddenly have free time today, you can work today. The environment is fun and chill, though mostly online. They also hold meet-ups for their online teams so you’ll be able to bond personally.

Cons

The pay rate is kind of permanent. The online part time team is tight, but I feel that the management do not see us as part of the company but just as a back up outsourced team.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees’ feedback, and don’t lose the fun and friendly vibe. Step into our shoes and try to view things from our perspective, which is coming from the hem, way below yours.

Magic2019-08-01
  4. "No Politics | No BS | Great Work | Flexible working environment |"

Current Employee - Business Solutions Specialist in Taguig

I have been working at Magic full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a great startup working environment with lots of options to grow and develop. The culture is nice, inclusive and really pays attention to the individual. Pay is fair (Philippine Rates) but there's an option to work from home which you saves you fare and other expenses anyway.

Cons

-limited options for growth IF you have a narrow skill set that's not needed in other high-paying departments -lots of jargon and internal processes to learn. Could be overwhelming -a good amount of pressure to push you early on. But if you have the stomach for it, it gets fun and it's something you can get the hang of soon. WIMPS NOT ALLOWED - strict attendance policy

Advice to Management

-Attendance: allow employees to make a case for calling out without documentation. You can make the process lengthy but don't make it impossible for them to dispute calling out sick just because they don't have a doctor's certificate

Magic2019-07-25
  5. "Amazing Company to start with"

I have been working at Magic full-time

Pros

Hr team is really good

Cons

You feel isolated if you dont engage yourself

Magic2019-07-11

"Benefits"

Current Employee - Magician

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its great working at Magic! As a mom its a great benefit for me to work in my comfort zone where i still get to be with my kids and still earn like a normal employee does. Great benefits while working at home!

Cons

Cant think of anything cons for this company!

Advice to Management

It doesnt mean that we dont reach our actual grading there is no Pay Raise! I've been working for about 2 years now but my salary is the same when i started.

Magic2019-05-02
  7. "Fun working here!"

Current Employee - Magician in Taguig

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Salary is competetive - People are Nice - Offers to work from home

Cons

- Since the managers are new , they dont have any management training and how they give feedback or how they talk to you is sometimes askew - team building are paid for by the employees, not by the company.

Advice to Management

Go on training, get leadership training-doesnt have to be six sigma but learn how to motivate and manage your team well! The attrition rate is high.

Magic2019-04-24
  8. "Ambitious startup with heart"

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bold vision, casual atmosphere and cool coworkers, company transparency, CEO

Cons

Hopefully grows faster so there's more upward promotion

Magic2019-04-12

"great company"

Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst in Makati City

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good environment and work culture - super inclusive - upper mgmt listens to, responds to, and acts on feedback and is open to suggestions from everyone - great coworkers - (for my particular job) flexi hours

Cons

none so far. been a great experience, esp since i've been here for awhile now

Advice to Management

keep it up

Magic2019-04-05
  10. "A Company Unlike Any Other"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Culture/People: By far one of the best traits thus company has is its culture. It's youthful, energetic, and at times silly -- cause everyone's pretty much from the same generation. You can easily get along with anyone. Over the years this company has proven that some of the friends you make here can be your friends for life. The people is also one of the reasons why I'm still here after a few years. They know... when to get serious and turn their game faces on when they need to solve any problems but then also know when to have fun. The company invests and genuinely cares for its people, putting them on top of the priority list. - Growth Opportunities: This company cares for its people so much that when someone shows willingness to learn and grow, they won't hesitate to invest and hone that person to grow further. Whether it's through their existing career path or expanding their horizons in other departments/teams, growth can be found. Each role you take is able to push you to your limits and allows you to build up your arsenal of experience, skills, and knowledge so that you're prepared to take on even bigger challenges. I haven't seen many companies where people in their early 20s are given the chance to lead their own teams. - Openness: This company is very transparent, plain and simple. Aside from confidential individual information, mostly everything is shared and disseminated to everyone regardless of position. This involves top level updates, projects/experiments, direction the company is taking, key metrics/stats, etc. This culture of transparency also allows peoples' voices to be heard, regardless of position. If someone believes in a change or improvement they want to make; they will be heard.

Cons

- Rash: Getting things done and solving problems is weaved into the DNA of this company and its people, so much so, that sometimes things can get a little crazy. Sometimes things get so cowboy that you'd think you were in the wild wild west. Sometimes gambles are taken and certain decisions/plans are rushed to make way for quick turnaround -- so when those don't pan out well, we end up taking a step back to fix the... problems that arised. So there are a few moments where the company relapses into its early, rugged start up days when right now it's really closer to a small-medium enterprise than a start up. Though things are much more systematic now than it used to be, so we're seeing this Con less compared to the early days. - Too Nice (?): With this company's open and transparent culture; you can definitely never avoid the few instances where people abuse and use this openness to their advantage. Sometimes the company is so nice to the point where its taken for granted. People use that to justify their unruly behavior or attitudes -- thinking they can get away with it scot-free. The company gives so many second, third, fourth (and more) final chances because it believes that people can still change or improve; sometimes to a fault. It's a Pro than can easily become a Con in the wrong hands. Youth (Side effects): Along with having a majority of its company being so young comes with its own Cons. Though the youthfulness of the company brings about a strong fire, determination, friendliness, and creativity among its people -- it also comes with its own share of youth problems. A lot of the people in the company are fresh grads taking on their first job. So you can't avoid instances where people relapse into "high school" or "college mode" where petty issues get magnified. Mix that, along with the company's value of solving as many problems as possible, brings about instances where time and headspace gets eaten up for not-so-important issues which holds back from hitting goals.

Advice to Management

Directed to individual managers in the company: Keep your people at the top of your priority list -- but know when to put your foot down. If you don't do it already; be sure to keep a good pulse on your teams and always listen to their concerns whether big or small. Help your teams prioritize the problems that come up and maintain a transparent way of solving these problems. Never forget to follow up so that every... individual knows that their well being matters to you, not just your numbers and goals. They're just as important; if not, more.

Magic2019-03-25