MZ Employee Reviews about "mz"

Updated Jan 23, 2020

3.3
MZ CEO  Kristen Dumont (no image)
Kristen Dumont
Pros
  • "MZ is a great place for folks who are motivated by their personal growth(in 29 reviews)

• "Free food and drinks in the office(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Even the work-life balance doesn’t seem that bad as others describe it(in 42 reviews)

• "It's almost like MZ just didn't plan to hire bad people, so there are no plans in place to address them unless they actually break a harassment policy(in 31 reviews)

Reviews about "mz"

Return to all Reviews

"Intense and Rewarding, but Needs More Checks and Balances"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at MZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing, hardworking people on every level. Benefits that can't be beat. Great food. Comfortable environment. Good support. HR is quick to respond to issues. Loyalty is valued among lower level leadership and rewards are piled on you for good performance. Workflows are clearly documented and undaunting to step into.

Cons

Anyone who IS terrible (like some people I was forced to work with and under) had no checks for their behavior. It's almost like MZ just didn't plan to hire bad people, so there are no plans in place to address them unless they actually break a harassment policy. I was outright bullied by my team and my manager's advice was to QUIT and accept that I was replaceable, even though I was a dedicated and passionate employee who had been receiving constant praise for my contributions up til that point. And there was no one above my manager to bring an issue to without immediately branding myself as a weak link or tattletale.

Continue reading

"May the Moogle Be With You... Always."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

MZ faces the same challenge that every single game company faces... how to stay relevant. The games business has historically been the most forward-looking, risk-taking tech industry. And perhaps for that reason and many more, the most beloved. Every innovation hits games first. Every engineer wants to make a hit game. Games make us go wow! They blow our minds. They connect us to our instincts to learn, compete, make friends, get lucky, and win. They are dazzling and baffling. Coin-Op. Console. PC. Web. Social. Mobile. And Beyond. MMO. Card. Shooter. Puzzle. While the games business is vast, carving out a niche isn't easy. And carving out a niche while paying for Palo Alto real-estate is the most epic mongo baller of all wins. Video games were born in the Silicon Valley and Machine Zone is right in the middle of it. The buildings are brand new, clean, and beautiful on the former Facebook campus now in reconstruction. Early into the mobile games market, MZ owned top slots on the AppStores for months coasting on innovative SuperBowl advertising and then diversifying into Ad Tech, AI, Crypto, Real-Time... God Stuff. But the universe ebbs and flows. Where are we on the tech adoption curve... who knows? One thing remains true... customers expect a lot as they economize their entertainment dollars. So MZ has managed to win over a very loyal group of paying players. Every technology and community changes. Will people still program on PCs one day? Who knows. Will people still play the MZ games we operate today ten years from now? Who knows. Will we all upload? Man. Big questions. What's real is that MZ has been contracting over the last year and a half to focus on what it does best... developing and operating games. On the operations side we are embracing lots of new cloud technologies. On the development side, we have in limited release a beautiful new title that shows off our continued ability to innovate on the client, art, game design, and server. We have vast capital, intellectual assets, potential and good people. Contraction isn't pleasant, but it is often necessary. Some of what you see on Glassdoor is a reflection of that. What are you gonna do? That's life and our individual experiences will very. Ultimately our personal outcomes are a direct result of the individual choices we make in the stream of choices we have available to us. We recently re-branded as MZ... 1. Which i think is cool. As per U2 we are not the same, but we ARE 1. Culturally, I'd say we are aggressive for the games business. We lean toward core and blue. After all, we made Game of War. Teams naturally internalize their titles to some degree. But games also naturally attract fun-loving creatives. I feel that that is what we are at our core. And we are much more... Final Fantasy and brilliant technologists, artists, and game designers. To be continually relevant we must continue to make good decisions, place good bets, and make the connection with more loyal paying player fans. All game companies share this mission. MZ is a big game maker / operator by most standards. This is not just a few folks in a room. So we have teams and subcultures and thus your experience may vary. If you are into the games business and looking forward to a long-term career in it and you live in Silicon Valley or catch the Cal Train to California or carpool down 280 or live in Supertino from the SJC to the DMZ, I really think you should take a look at MZ. Perhaps you will be THE one young Jedi. Come say Hi. Take a look.

Cons

Lots of change and people re-identifying with a new mission and vision that is more focused than the broad vision of "become a tech giant".

3. "Very Competitive Team"

Current Employee - LiveOp Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a job that can help you grow your hard skills. This is my first month, and I feel like learning a lot of stuffs. I mean hard skills like SQL, python, which really help you increase your value in the market. If you are young and passionate about game industry, this is the right place for you. I would love more people join LiveOp team. This is best team for you to grow in MZ. Plus you have awesome teammates and super nice boss :)

Cons

You have to get used to game industry culture.

"Horrible company to work with"

1.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cannot think of any pros!

Cons

Toxic culture, intensive politics, chaos management, sinking business, high attrition rate, the list goes on and on. The company is also obsessed about hours everyone works instead of the results. They enforce weird 10-7 working hours which is believed to be a way to drive away candidates with families. If you have a family, especially if you have kids. NEVER EVER, NOT EVER, CONSIDER MZ!!! If you don't have a family, also NEVER EVER, NOT EVER, CONSIDER MZ!!! Everyone around me are interviewing and leaving.

"Never a Dull Moment"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

The single most prominent feature of MZ is that I am never bored. There is way too much to do and probably too little oversight, giving me enormous opportunity to do something new and make an impact. I often do things that are not my job and not part of a plan because they are the right thing to do, and I generally don't get in trouble for it, the times that it's even noticed. On another note, if you want to make games and make rent, come here - the compensation and benefits are great.

Cons

It's chaos, more or less. Schedules are aggressive to the point of being delusional and often our optimistic plans degrade into little plan at all. The company is great at operating and marketing and selling games, so once one staggers out the door it's going to do great. I simply recommend taking deep breaths and letting go of a lot of the craziness. Other cons - I guess the hours can be long. This is a game company, and it doesn't excuse our planning missteps, but other game companies can be quite worse. Also, MZ seems to be quite wary of hiring junior talent, and I think would be well served to start doing so and giving leads and managers time and support to mentor those junior contributors.

Continue reading
  6. "Everyone here wants to win"

Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MZ has refocused its business on its core of gaming and is well positioned for success. The company is releasing two new games this year which will be game changers and everyone is really excited about the future. I see a lot of complaints on GD about people working hard at MZ but in truth that is limited to a few groups in the company -- most people here work 10-7 (or less!) and never on weekends. It is true that everyone works in the office -- this is a very face-to-face collaborative culture. The bottom line is that the people who love MZ and are successful here have a competitive spirit and strong will to win. That type of MZ intensity and excitement is present across all groups in the company and the "never give up" attitude and what we've accomplished has resulted in strong bonds between the employees. Also there is excellent food (everywhere) and super fun team building events and parties.

Cons

The last year has been challenging and it can be tough to keep up the energy we need to make it over the finish line.

"Cool Place to Work"

Former Employee - Concept Artist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at MZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location, Benefits, Perks, Food and Parties. Generally a pretty chill place to work. Even though it was not my choice to leave, I will always have a positive outlook for MZ for giving me an opportunity and helping me grow as an artist.

Cons

Housing/ apartments close by are pretty expensive ( Bay Area ) plus cost of living is high. But manageable with income earned.

"Input = Output"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MZ is a great place for folks who are motivated by their personal growth. There's very little that gets in the way of making big contributions, and impact is regularly recognized and rewarded. There's huge potential for people that are self driven and not afraid of stepping up. That said, MZ is not for the faint of heart or folks just looking for a job. Awesome perks and benefits that outclass most any other privately held company, and rival any of the name brand public companies like Google, FB, etc. Last years change in executive leadership and renewed focus on gaming has been a blessing! Teams are more focused and aligned, and the tone around campus is brighter than I've seen in years.

Cons

Very aggressive schedules and goals. Makes an exciting work environment, but also takes it's toll. We are a business and need to keep the bills paid, but hopeful we can find a bit more balance between company objectives, catering to our player base, and employee lifestyles.

Continue reading

"Hard work pays off....#triumphtogether"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The impact you have, every person in the building is critical! CEO is really making changes that are up leveling us like never before and being more open and transparent, the pay, bonuses and equity...and working with REALLY smart and passionate people! The culture has definitely made a shift, and while we all still work extremely hard, it feels more flexible. There are growth and development opportunities for me and my team, and I learn something new everyday. The #triumphtogether mantra is bringing the one MZ feeling back!

Cons

It is challenging to have core hours that are so late, but nice to come in later. I wish we had a little more flexibility there. The Game Production teams are working extremely hard, which means a lot of hours for them at month end. What makes MZ successful is the blood sweat and tears put in by everyone. That also means some teams have a window of critical crunch time, and we need to find creative ways to support them.

Continue reading

"Good place to start, bad place to stay"

2.0
    Former Employee - Live Ops in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros: -Team and co-workers in general are great -Review cycles/raises/end of year bonuses -lot of opportunity to grow and learn -A “we’re all in this together” mentality -free meals/snacks/gym/perks -A lot of people here who have talent and really love games Overall a great place to start out in if you’re single and willing to work. You get rewarded for the time and effort you put in, and accumulate a lot of knowledge quickly. Outside of my own team, working with other departments has always been a great experience and people genuinely want to help each other out.

Cons

Running games 24/7 means a lot of opportunities to end up working late, weekends, and holidays. Management expects you to work late if needed but taking off early another day will quickly get you noticed. No WFH other than weekends and holidays means that people burn out quicker, and “DTO” is tracked and monitored, so it’s more like PTO without any payout. Company has little interest in changing culture or strategy to keep talent around, which means teams are always short or new, resulting in more mistakes which are become more and more costly. People leave, don’t recommend the jobs to their peers, and the talent pool for hiring falls short. There’s a total break down between who teams need and who management/HR wants to hire - they don’t want to hire anyone who can’t meet the job reqs, but no one who meets the job reqs wants to work at MZ. This means more hours for the current employees, more burn out, more turn over, etc. They’re new guys less than they used to which is fine for business, but bad when it means it’s easier for that guy to leave and get paid elsewhere. MZ is either oblivious or willfully ignorant of their future. You can’t push the pedal to the metal and also expect fuel efficiency, but that’s exactly what they do. They say save fuel but once they see that they’re not going 100mph they change their mind and say gun it. Then once they’re low on fuel they blame the teams for not “doing better”. It’s demoralizing and has not changed.

Found 54 reviews