MNP LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Jason Tuffs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

I worked at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Empowering, fun and forward thinking place to work. Could not have asked for a better employer or team of people to work with.

Cons

In all honesty, cannot think of one con. I would still be working there if life situations had not resulted in me moving to an area where there is no MNP.

Advice to Management

Advancement based off performance. Ongoing and effective coaching to get you there.

2. "CPA Articling Student"

Former Employee - CPA Articling Student
    Former Employee - CPA Articling Student

I worked at MNP LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of exposure to small business compilations and tax returns
    - CPA Practical Experience Pre-approved Route
    - Meet other CPAs and aspiring CPAs

Cons

- Not much in the way of one-on-one coaching or mentoring for new grads from partners because every senior employee treated time as a commodity that was not worth spending on training a new person.
    - Long hours and low (salaried) pay
    - Cliquey (seemed to get rid of good people who were disliked by the wrong person)
    - High turnover
    - In my estimation, it seemed they tell you to be honest with your time cards, but expect you to under-report time spent on files

Advice to Management

- If partners and managers are not required to spend time teaching and coaching enthusiastic employees who want to do their best the firm will continue to have new employees who are miserable because they want to be a productive member of the team, but no one will take the time to help them get there.

3. "Senior Accountant"

Pros

Banking overtime hours, benefits, growing culture

Cons

Long work hours but expected in industry

5. "Senior Accountant"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great environment and they care for their employees

Cons

None that I could think of

6. "Great place to work"

I worked at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Good benefits plan

Cons

Large corporation, lower range salary

7. "Not good fit if coming from a big 4"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

If you are looking for work and life balance, it is the place to be.

Cons

If you like a fast-paced environment, maybe it's not the fit for you.

8. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pension plan, good culture, exciting work.

Cons

Salary doesn't feel very competitive within the market.

9. "Manager"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

They promote work-life balance especially during off busy season months, staff below management level can accrue overtime.

Cons

Salaries need to be more competitive especially when making the move from accountant to management where you no longer have the benefit of accruing overtime hours. Big focus on chargeable hours which are sometimes unattainable however bonuses depend on it.

10. "accountant at MNP"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

friendly, encouraging, work environment with an abundance of resources

Cons

not to sure yet

"Valuable entry-level experience for assurance staff"

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Montreal, QC

I worked at MNP LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibilities from day 1. In the first year you will likely see the whole loop, from vouching to preparing the financial statements to preparing the T2, something that is unheard of at B4

No sharks. Everyone is quite genuine and smart in their own way.

Entrepreneurial environment. Despite all the cons of this below, it really does force you to be proactive. You quickly realize that to succeed, you need to seek opportunities internally. You need to network, figure out how to ask for help, learn the game without any instructions. This has proved to be invaluable for my career in general. While my friends at B4 were grinding away vouching invoices until late, I was figuring out how to get the pieces together and learning valuable life lessons, until late.

GREAT entry-level pay compared to B4, especially considering overtime is converted to vacation almost 1:1

No Kool-Aid. WYSIWYG. Summer internship work = the actual work you will be doing full-time.

GREAT education reimbursement (ALL CPA-related fees reimbursed, including graduate/national program, Securexam, etc.)

Cons

Very top heavy; not a millennial environment. I would have liked to lunch with my peers and go have a beer after work, but that rarely happened.

Sometimes I wish there'd be a mandatory partner-be-staff-for-a-day just so they can understand just how messy the backups of some clients look like. Then maybe they'd understand why the WIP is so large and why the engagement team does so much out-of-scope work. Having the deliverable on time definitely comes before the well-being of staff.

Related to the previous point, there is a culture of "just make it work". If the client books don't tie, we preparers usually tie it for them. If you don't understand something, you're expected to figure it out yourself. Clean the GL yourself. Don't tell the manager you spent 1 hour cleaning the GL because no time was budgeted for that. This expectation gap, combined with the entrepreneurial mindset of just making it work has led to some nasty outcomes, like time-eating, in some of the files. If you land on such a file, you're obviously expected to do the same as last year.

Lack of communication between partners and engagement staff. For some reason, there is a divide between partner and lower-level staff which consistently causes key engagement relevant information to be stuck at the manager level. Overall, there is a presumption that staff only needs to "do the work" and manager/partner will handle the client relationship. I totally don't get that. If the file preparer is more involved in the client relationship part of the mandate, e.g. have the staff who performed 90% of the work join in when the partner/manager delivers the financial statements at the end of the mandate, I would have felt so much more motivated and perhaps get a better understanding of the value of my work. After 2 years, I still had trouble understanding the value of my work.

At a certain point, once you have proved yourself to be competent, you get escalating responsibilities and expectations. The top-performing team members are also the ones with the most overtime. One senior had 2 months worth of banked overtime. He is too valuable to the firm to be allowed to use this overtime as time off. Naturally, some decide to leave.

Difficult to switch service lines. This is due to (i) the size of the firm in general makes it difficult for another service to acquire even one more team member, and (ii) the firm will not look out for your desired career paths - you need to network on your own and cannot rely on HR or performance coach to make the connection for you. Even if you're top-performing.

Advice to Management

Take care of your top-performing staff. Recognition goes beyond gift cards and such. Monitor overtime and perhaps have mandatory time off after a certain number of overtime hour is reached.

Involve the file preparers in the ENTIRE process. I would so rather listen in on a partner-client meeting than be at my desk doing eLarnings.

Realize that on some mandates, the file preparers are doing a LOT to compensate for client deficiencies. While I understand the nature of the business, I still think this is not entirely fair.