MNP LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Jason Tuffs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Accountant"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great environment and they care for their employees

Cons

None that I could think of

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Good benefits plan

Cons

Large corporation, lower range salary

3. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pension plan, good culture, exciting work.

Cons

Salary doesn't feel very competitive within the market.

5. "accountant at MNP"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

friendly, encouraging, work environment with an abundance of resources

Cons

not to sure yet

"Valuable entry-level experience for assurance staff"

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Montreal, QC

I worked at MNP LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibilities from day 1. In the first year you will likely see the whole loop, from vouching to preparing the financial statements to preparing the T2, something that is unheard of at B4

No sharks. Everyone is quite genuine and smart in their own way.

Entrepreneurial environment. Despite all the cons of this below, it really does force you to be proactive. You quickly realize that to succeed, you need to seek opportunities internally. You need to network, figure out how to ask for help, learn the game without any instructions. This has proved to be invaluable for my career in general. While my friends at B4 were grinding away vouching invoices until late, I was figuring out how to get the pieces together and learning valuable life lessons, until late.

GREAT entry-level pay compared to B4, especially considering overtime is converted to vacation almost 1:1

No Kool-Aid. WYSIWYG. Summer internship work = the actual work you will be doing full-time.

GREAT education reimbursement (ALL CPA-related fees reimbursed, including graduate/national program, Securexam, etc.)

Cons

Very top heavy; not a millennial environment. I would have liked to lunch with my peers and go have a beer after work, but that rarely happened.

Sometimes I wish there'd be a mandatory partner-be-staff-for-a-day just so they can understand just how messy the backups of some clients look like. Then maybe they'd understand why the WIP is so large and why the engagement team does so much out-of-scope work. Having the deliverable on time definitely comes before the well-being of staff.

Related to the previous point, there is a culture of "just make it work". If the client books don't tie, we preparers usually tie it for them. If you don't understand something, you're expected to figure it out yourself. Clean the GL yourself. Don't tell the manager you spent 1 hour cleaning the GL because no time was budgeted for that. This expectation gap, combined with the entrepreneurial mindset of just making it work has led to some nasty outcomes, like time-eating, in some of the files. If you land on such a file, you're obviously expected to do the same as last year.

Lack of communication between partners and engagement staff. For some reason, there is a divide between partner and lower-level staff which consistently causes key engagement relevant information to be stuck at the manager level. Overall, there is a presumption that staff only needs to "do the work" and manager/partner will handle the client relationship. I totally don't get that. If the file preparer is more involved in the client relationship part of the mandate, e.g. have the staff who performed 90% of the work join in when the partner/manager delivers the financial statements at the end of the mandate, I would have felt so much more motivated and perhaps get a better understanding of the value of my work. After 2 years, I still had trouble understanding the value of my work.

At a certain point, once you have proved yourself to be competent, you get escalating responsibilities and expectations. The top-performing team members are also the ones with the most overtime. One senior had 2 months worth of banked overtime. He is too valuable to the firm to be allowed to use this overtime as time off. Naturally, some decide to leave.

Difficult to switch service lines. This is due to (i) the size of the firm in general makes it difficult for another service to acquire even one more team member, and (ii) the firm will not look out for your desired career paths - you need to network on your own and cannot rely on HR or performance coach to make the connection for you. Even if you're top-performing.

Advice to Management

Take care of your top-performing staff. Recognition goes beyond gift cards and such. Monitor overtime and perhaps have mandatory time off after a certain number of overtime hour is reached.

Involve the file preparers in the ENTIRE process. I would so rather listen in on a partner-client meeting than be at my desk doing eLarnings.

Realize that on some mandates, the file preparers are doing a LOT to compensate for client deficiencies. While I understand the nature of the business, I still think this is not entirely fair.

7. "I was not trained enough for computer useage."

Former Employee - File Room Administration in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - File Room Administration in Calgary, AB

I worked at MNP LLP (More than 8 years)

Pros

I got a pay cheque.

Cons

No proper training. Stress, Unfairness

Advice to Management

Spend sufficent time training employees

8. "Work-Life Balance"

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you have a family or are thinking of having starting a family. They are extremely accommodating to all sorts of schedules, something that is not common to management consulting. The culture of putting your family and personal life first makes it less competitive and allows you to focus on developing yourself and your career at your own pace.

Cons

For the management consulting department, salaries reflect the non-monetary benefits that they provide, which means they pay less than competitors.

Advice to Management

I would not have any advice for management. The human resources practices chosen are strategic and allows them to differentiate themselves from competitors.

9. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Consultant in Calgary, AB

I worked at MNP LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Proximity to partners
    Opportunity for range of experience
    Able to take on more responsibility in small teams

Cons

Still developing a organizational culture
    Performance management policies and processess
    Pay/ incentives

10. "Poor work culture"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at MNP LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Donut Day
    Good Benefits regarding MNP Flex program

Cons

If you don't fit in with the managers, or share their interests- count your days, you wont last that long in the firm.
    A lot of brown nosing. If you cant suck up, no point working there
    No Value in Employees. If they don't like you- you don't get files and therefore you don't get hours and then at year end your not at the budgeted time for hours.
    Hired as an accountant and forced to do tons of filing, because they claimed not to have enough files for me, however other students got tons of files.

Advice to Management

They claim to be a diverse firm, but they hire diversity for numbers. While I worked there it just happened to be that all the " diversity" were fired or terminated during various times of the year without cause. In addition to having that you are not provided with any references as firm policy prohibits it. My advice would be to maybe think twice about merging with smaller companies to ensure that they fit in with MNP's so called culture. If theydo not fit in, then don't merge. Its Simple. Stop advertising yourself as hiring diversity if you let go of people that dont share similar interests. T

11. "Management Consulting"

I worked at MNP LLP full-time

Pros

Great team members
    Flexible hours
    Great support staff

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Lack of practice framework
    Reinventing the wheel with every engagement
    Practice not mature

Advice to Management

Choose an identity; either you are playing with the big 4 or not.