Luxury Retreats Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Jul 30, 2017

3.4
Luxury Retreats President and CEO Joe Poulin
Joe Poulin
Pros
Cons
  • "Luxury Retreats is a micromanaged startup company, with all the growing pains that implies(in 5 reviews)

• "Extremely high turnover, making it impossible to get anything accomplished since we are in a constant state of change(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Awesome Company, Best Is Yet To Come"

Current Employee - Manager, Revenue Management in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having 21 years of professional experience spanning 6 industries and as many companies in the Fortune 500, I find myself well positioned to have a solid benchmark against which to review Luxury Retreats. I can say without any reservation, that Luxury Retreats provides an outstanding working environment. I am part of a company that can be defined as youthful and energetic yet guided by the wisdom of a leadership team with a proven track record for sustained growth. Having recently joined the AirBnB family, Luxury Retreats has embarked on a new path to become a juggernaut in the luxury hospitality rental market. At Luxury Retreats, we are given numerous opportunities to grow the business in a meaningful way. If your objective is to make a difference and build a solid career with tangible work experience, Luxury Retreats will provide those opportunities in spades. Simply put, this is not a large corporation whose mandate is to keep the ship sailing in calm seas. Luxury Retreats is a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial company exclusively emerged in ecommerce. With regards to benefits, it is simply unbelievable. Great bonus, vacations, on-site bistro with a bona fide professional chef, gym, professional development, and state of the art hardware and software and much more.

Cons

None that are worth mentioning.

August 1, 2017Human Resources Director

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We love it when our team members share the same excitement we feel about our future as part of the Airbnb family! This is a very exciting time in Luxury Retreats’ history and joining Airbnb has allowed us to continue building on our solid foundation built not only on smart ecommerce but on the value of true hospitality. I.T equipment and benefit upgrades are just the beginning as we continue bringing our employee experience to the next level in alignment with our Airbnb family. We look forward to continuing the ride and are glad to have you along with us!

"Good! Just be realistic with your expectations"

4.0

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Luxury Retreats

Pros

- You'll be working with some of the most motivated, upbeat and interesting people. Everyone at the office has diverse skill sets, hobbies and talents. Everyone is also quite young and vibrant. - There are great perks, like metro-work shuttle service, gym on site and cafe-resto in the office. - This is a great place to get your foot in the door and to start your professional career. You'll get to know what it's like working for a bigger company, without feeling like you're lost in the crowd. - Good working environment if you enjoy working autonomously. However, if you like having someone telling you exactly what needs to be done, this is not for you. - They value performance: in most departments, other than sales, as long as you perform you will not be micro-managed.

Cons

- Top-down communication as well as inter-departmental communication can be heavily improved. Many people do not know what other departments do, or even where they are located in the office (the office is not that big by the way). - Internal procedures and projects move slowly, while priorities on such things can shift spontaneously and without explanation. This means, that a top priority project you may be working on for weeks, may suddenly be shoved under the rug at the whim of upper management - The company wants to be treated as a top player with the same respect given to big corporations. However it likes to operate with the flexibility of a start-up in the sense that it will implement and test "new procedures" on an department without consulting the people who will be affected the most. Yes, though it is not the responsibility for VPs and upper management to consult those at the bottom necessarily, when these "new procedures" fail, it is those at the bottom who suffer and subsequently get let go. In fact, many talented people have unfortunately left the company as the job they initially signed up for is no longer the job they are currently doing. - Following the previous point of lost talent, they can't seem to keep directors. It seems to me that directors quickly become dissatisfied as they are given a "Director" title, with the responsibility of a senior manager. In a company of roughly 200 people, there is no need for VPs and Directors of every department, as well as a multitude of managers who work under them. Roles overlap and Directors feel like they have no power and leave. Because of the turnover rates at the top, people at the bottom feel overworked and are concerned about instability. So they also leave. - All in all, I am happy here. I like my job, I love the people I work with and for, but people entering need to be realistic of their expectations. Through the door, they will sell you on this great environment with all the bells and whistles. And yes, the environment is pretty good, but just like any business, businesses are run by people, and people can be inconsistent and unpredictable. Be aware that this job, like any job, has its ups and downs.

July 21, 2016Human Resources Director

We appreciate you providing such honest feedback. You’ve pointed out some of the wonderful aspects of our work atmosphere, including the perks, opportunities for growth, and autonomy that our team thrives on! We’re surprised to hear that some team members do not know what other departments do as we put a lot of effort into communicating this information through our company meetings and internal newsletter. We’re working on a new project where every member of our leadership team provides a monthly update of what their team is up to, and we hope that will help bridge any gaps. We’ll also look into more ways of facilitating access to organizational structure and info about your teammates. We’re completely on board with keeping lines of communication open at all levels of the company, and trusting in our teams' ability to do great work! We're proud of our team's high levels of performance, whether it be the exceptional standard of customer service in Guest Experience or innovations like our new app in Product & Engineering. Thanks again for providing open feedback as it helps us identify areas of improvement and keep moving forward!

3. "Great Company"

4.0

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Friendly working environment Treated like a human as opposed to a cog Decent benefits Open to innovation

Cons

Cross-department communication 2 sick days :(

February 25, 2016Human Resources Director

Thank you for your comments! We do like to treat our team members like human beings, and that includes being open to new ideas and initiatives from all levels of the company. Keeping lines of communication open between all departments can be a challenge, but we are taking steps to keep teams on the same page, including our monthly newsletter and quarterly company meetings. Feedback from our team is essential to helping us get there, and we'll continue heading in the right direction. Thanks again!

"Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have enough experience at Luxury Retreats and other companies to really understand the pros and cons. It's not perfect and it's not for everyone but it's been a great experience and there are many things to like. The obvious "pro" is the office atmosphere and working environment. It's a beautiful open office with a solid gym and an awesome cafe that serves restaurant type meals at an affordable price for employees. There's also a roof top terrace with lots of complimentary BBQ's and 5 a 7's and fun company events. Luxury Retreats doesn't enforce a dress code so you can rock jeans, shorts, sandals etc. It blows my mind that some employees quickly forget about these perks and take it for granted. I've also read reviews that somehow spin this as a negative because it's a way to lure in candidates. The reality is it's a huge part of the company culture and I'm thankful for these perks because I realize how it is at other companies. Overall this company provides you with lots of opportunity to learn quickly and gain valuable experience. Luxury Retreats is growing like crazy so if you come in and add value you will be recognized. I'm not saying that every employee that does well gets promoted right away. I'm saying there is more opportunity here than at most companies. I've seen huge improvements when it comes to HR. To be very honest, HR was always a bit of a joke and most employees felt like they had no place to turn if they had issues but now it's legit. This has not only helped employees but it has also helped the leadership team. You're starting to see "real" feedback flow back and forth which has helped everyone. The most recent result of this is structured employee reviews on a consistent basis. I've been impressed with mine so far and happy to know where I need to improve and where I'm strong.

Cons

You have to be flexible and embrace change to really enjoy working here. There are lots of people who thrive in larger companies where things don't change often and each day is super predictable. This is not the place for people who prefer that atmosphere. Obviously there are differences in each position but the majority of roles are face paced with lots of change. On one hand it can be tough and frustrating and on the other it allows for new opportunity and personal growth. The leadership team has not always been great and can still use improvement. It's no secret and many people have mentioned this on reviews. I think HR has really helped with this and the company is starting to bring in more experienced leaders who know how to handle the face paced environment. In the past there were "clicks" and some of the CEO's friends worked at the company. The reality is those days are mostly gone because the company has grown so much over the years. At this time there are 250 employees so the company is too big and structured now.

January 5, 2016Human Resources Director

Thanks for the open and candid feedback! The reviews we get on Glassdoor are instrumental in making Luxury Retreats the best it can be. Your observations about the culture, opportunities and fast pace were spot on, and we are glad to hear that you feel things are moving in the right direction in regards to structure, leadership and HR. We have taken great strides to build on our strengths and, as you suggested, we will continue to soak up team member feedback and make positive change where needed. All the best!

"Awesome place to work at!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than a year

Pros

As we say, "this is not your average day job". Luxury Retreats has an amazing working environment, whether it is the staff, the building itself or all the perks. The company is growing so there is plenty of opportunity and challenges!

Cons

I don't feel negative about my job. It is growing fast so there are a lot of changes going on. If you are the kind of person who's is looking for stability (and by stability I mean no changes, boring routine), you will find it difficult. As we constantly change, we need people that will embrace all the new projects and growth.

November 27, 2015Human Resources Director

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to give us a review – it was a pleasure to read! There’s definitely a lot of opportunity here and, we agree – things move quickly. Coaching and guidance will continue to be worked on as we move forward together as a company. Thanks again – take care!

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.