Luxury Retreats Reviews

3.4
Luxury Retreats President and CEO Joe Poulin
Joe Poulin
Pros
Cons
  • "Luxury Retreats is a micromanaged startup company, with all the growing pains that implies(in 5 reviews)

• "Extremely high turnover, making it impossible to get anything accomplished since we are in a constant state of change(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Awesome Company, Best Is Yet To Come"

Current Employee - Manager, Revenue Management in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having 21 years of professional experience spanning 6 industries and as many companies in the Fortune 500, I find myself well positioned to have a solid benchmark against which to review Luxury Retreats. I can say without any reservation, that Luxury Retreats provides an outstanding working environment. I am part of a company that can be defined as youthful and energetic yet guided by the wisdom of a leadership team with a proven track record for sustained growth. Having recently joined the AirBnB family, Luxury Retreats has embarked on a new path to become a juggernaut in the luxury hospitality rental market. At Luxury Retreats, we are given numerous opportunities to grow the business in a meaningful way. If your objective is to make a difference and build a solid career with tangible work experience, Luxury Retreats will provide those opportunities in spades. Simply put, this is not a large corporation whose mandate is to keep the ship sailing in calm seas. Luxury Retreats is a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial company exclusively emerged in ecommerce. With regards to benefits, it is simply unbelievable. Great bonus, vacations, on-site bistro with a bona fide professional chef, gym, professional development, and state of the art hardware and software and much more.

Cons

None that are worth mentioning.

August 1, 2017Human Resources Director

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We love it when our team members share the same excitement we feel about our future as part of the Airbnb family! This is a very exciting time in Luxury Retreats’ history and joining Airbnb has allowed us to continue building on our solid foundation built not only on smart ecommerce but on the value of true hospitality. I.T equipment and benefit upgrades are just the beginning as we continue bringing our employee experience to the next level in alignment with our Airbnb family. We look forward to continuing the ride and are glad to have you along with us!

"RIP"

4.0
    Former Employee - Guest Experience Specialist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Had a great experience working here, too bad they are shutting it down.

Cons

Micromanagement, disconnected leaders, never quite meshing with Airbnb HQ

"Airbnb turned LR into a liberal leftist company"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few cool people will keep you going but thats about it.

Cons

LR/Airbnb is a complete leftwing company who plays a massive role in identity politics. If you are a straight white male, you better not dare express a different opinion than everyone else because you will be immediately alienated. When there is an issue, the manager has complete control over you and HR stays out of the process. If your manager doesnt like you, your done for and most of them are generally unhappy. People will try to take advantage of you and your manager will also take credit for your work. For performance reviews, I was told by my manager that my peer comments dont matter and only what he wrote should be should be taken into consideration (Extremely authoritarian managers & e-staff is completely non existant when it comes to interacting with the regular employees). Its sad to see what airbnb has turned LR into - please do not work here unless you are a leftist who enjoys identity politics - what a shame Joe, you completely let me down for allowing them to do what they did to me.

4. "Good overall experience"

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Great team to work with... collaborative! Excellent benefits with Airbnb. Dental, health, vision, travel credit fertility options and much more 4 weeks off plus volunteer days and sick days

Cons

Upper management has no idea of the work being done at the lower levels. Too high stress and pressure . Low growth opp and incentive.

"So far, so great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the environment. It really is a great place to be at. The work is gratifying: everyone here is not settling for "OK". We are constantly pushing to be better and greater for our clients and for our departments. I love my team, and I love those who I have befriended. Everyone comes to work with a large smile and are dedicated to their work.

Cons

I would like for senior managers to come and meet the people that work with. I still haven't been introduced to some directors or other department managers who are involved in our process. It would be nice to get familiarized with other departments.

January 5, 2016Human Resources Director

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us! Good points about having different departments familiarized with one another and structured natural salary growth – these are things that are definitely on our radar. Leaving reviews helps reinforce the areas where we need to focus our efforts, so thank you for providing this feedback.

6. "Awesome team, exciting changes"

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Luxury Retreats is a one-of-a-kind workplace. You hear it all the time, "The people at Luxury Retreats are the best." Even though it's almost cliche at this point, it couldn't be more true. To me, relationships are the most important part of life... as we spend the majority of our time at work, it's essential to create positive bonds with coworkers. Nowhere has this been so easy for me to do. I'm truly grateful for the lifelong friendships I've made here, and it's a big reason I look forward to coming into work every day. As the company grows and matures, lots of exciting changes are happening. Two new C-level execs just came on board, the first ever at LR, and we can already see improvements in leadership. Formal employee recognition programs, performance reviews, financial support for education and professional training, it's clear there is an increasingly large focus on investing in the people. I would expect to continue seeing these improvements. Luxury Retreats has always been a fun place to work, now it's becoming an awesome place to build a career.

Cons

Things won't necessarily be handed to you. The company rewards creativity, adaptability, and resilience. If you can't roll with the punches don't expect to work your way up. It's very casual and people don't put on a face for you. Ie professionalism is defined differently at LR compared to a bank. If you prefer a highly formal/cordial workplace this may not be the most suitable choice.

November 10, 2016Human Resources Director

It’s great to hear that coming to work is something you look forward to – we must say, we’re also pretty fond of the amazing people who work here! Thank you for sharing how the unique atmosphere at our office, we always strive to create an environment where our team feels accepted and at home. We’re thrilled that you are pleased with the recent additions to our leadership team and that you’re as excited as we are about the direction we continue to head. Recognition, performance reviews, training and professional development have been huge focuses recently. It’s thanks to thoughtful team feedback like yours that we have been able to listen and make improvements to areas that concern our team members the most. Together, we’ll continue to work on initiatives that encourage the professional growth of our team, and that includes our leaders! We’re more motivated than ever to keep raising the bar of our team member experience, and we’re happy you think we’re on the right track. Thanks for the review.

"Great environment, great people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than a year

Pros

Luxury Retreats is a really good place to work. The offices are beautiful. The subsidized food from the café is great. The private gym and shuttle bus to the metro are very convenient. The summer BBQs, 5 a 7s, and holiday parties are hard to beat. What really keeps me at Luxury Retreats is the people. I really enjoy the people that I work with. I've never worked at a company with so many smart people that work really hard. I feel that I have the opportunity to learn from my peers for a very long time. I've worked other places where the work was fine but I did not feel any kind of connection to the people that I worked with and it had a big impact on how happy I was at work.

Cons

Luxury Retreats is by no means a perfect company. At over 200 employees, they can no longer be considered a startup, but the company grew quickly and is continuing to grow quickly, so there are some growing pains. Things are not as organized as they could be, but it's a work in progress and things are headed in the right direction.

November 30, 2015Human Resources Director

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Great to hear you love the people and you have a connection with your teammates – we put a lot of focus into bringing the right people on board! We hear your point about growing pains. As we grow, we’ll continue to implement structure and processes where needed, while maintaining our dynamic, entrepreneurial environment. We want to continue making Luxury Retreats the best company it can be for all of our team members. Thanks again for your thoughts – take care!

8. "Love It Here!"

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Pros I love working here, for two main reasons: - The fact that you’re given trust and independence. No one is breathing down your neck, and everything is somewhat flexible as long as you’re performing. It’s sink or swim, but if you know what you’re doing, it’s very empowering. - The company has a great energy and genuinely makes a big effort to make the work environment one of the best in Montreal. The state of growth has a great impact on morale and the atmosphere is overall positive - not always easy to find these days! In the past few years, the company has matured significantly. You would be hard pressed to find a work atmosphere like this anywhere else. You start off with 3 weeks’ vacation, can request free stays at villas after one year of service, there is a full gym, gourmet resto with great food, team activities, and a lot of fun people who love to travel and are great to work with.

Cons

“Fast-paced” is marketed as a pro at this company but this can actually a pitfall as change too often can be frustrating . Lack of communication has been an issue in the past but I think the quarterly company meetings have been a great step in the right direction, and some of the newer directors have brought in refreshing ways of doing things and more transparency.

April 6, 2016Human Resources Director

We’re glad you’re enjoying your experience working with us! We place a significant level of trust in our team to accomplish their work, while providing the necessary resources to succeed. We also do our best to offer perks that they enjoy and appreciate. Thank you for recognizing our efforts to improve communication throughout the company. We understand that continuous improvements in this area are essential given the fast-paced nature of the business, and will continue to share updates on a regular basis with the whole team. Thanks for taking the time to write a review!

"An overall great place to work"

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Luxury Retreats is an exciting place to be right now. The company is facing lots of change and growth, so not too many firm systems in place and no cumbersome bureaucracy. This is good if you like working on new projects and want to prove yourself. The owner takes care of his employees - lots of food, parties, other perks etc. The office is comfortable and relaxed, nobody creeping over your shoulder or scolding you for being late - get your work done well and you will be recognized for that. One of the more humane places to be on the sales side... you are treated as a human and not a revenue-generating machine. On the marketing and support side there are lots of creative initiatives. Overall, a great place to be for a motivated young professional.

Cons

Sometimes can feel disorganized with so much change going on. Still somewhat of a startup environment so the company can't offer everything a major corporation would.

January 5, 2016Human Resources Director

Thanks for the review! We always appreciate hearing from motivated and engaged team members. We strive to create an environment where our team feels free to create and innovate, and we’re glad to hear that you enjoy the dynamic atmosphere! We agree that building from within is key as we move forward, and Luxury Retreats is a great place to build a career. We will continue to focus on harnessing our team’s talent by providing even more opportunities for professional development as we continue to grow. Thanks again for the feedback!

"Emotional dilemma at every turn"

2.0
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

The People are awesome The Product is amazing The Office is great (free gym, location on the canal)

Cons

Emotional dilemma at every turn: If you care about people, you're in trouble as they're unlikely to stick around, and you can't fight for them to stay, they are disposable in senior management's eyes. Senior management turnover is about 1 snr mngr / director / VP per 2 months, it's wild! If you'd like to implement anything that could create a real positive change, you're out of luck, it's his way or the highway. Empowerment doesn't exist, you are a YES person, you execute and agree to a distorted vision. Data driven, not people driven. Won't admit that high staff turnover is a problem. Easily THE most erratic workplace I've ever been a part of as far as business and business priorities go - this in turn creates an erratic work environment. If you do join, ensure position and salary expectations are crystal clear and open to review so that they're realistic and inspire you to push for more. Falling behind the line as far as leveraging technology for competitive advantage. Lack of clear communication from leadership to team (it's a small company, you can easily remain in touch with your employees, they are after all your most valuable asset) Bring back the good times!!! - PLEASE!

June 30, 2016Human Resources Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your thoughts with us. Let’s address turnover head on — turnover is to be expected in every company, as not everyone is a perfect fit. At Luxury Retreats, turnover does vary between departments. We’ll be doing more specific analysis on turnover to identify opportunities for improvement and will continue to do everything we can to move forward with our talent. Encouraging the development of team members is crucial for retention and we want to enable our managers to play a big part in this. Launching several new programs in the new fiscal year, we aim to focus heavily on supporting our managers with performance management and professional development to cultivate leaders from within. We appreciate you reinforcing the importance of the work that still needs to be done as it reconfirms the importance of launching and continuing to perfect these programs. We also want keep the good times rolling and believe it’s important to give team members plenty of opportunity to bond with their teams! We’ve put in place monthly team building budgets so that each of our teams can kick back regularly and have fun, and we encourage all teams to take advantage of this. We’ll continue to do what we can to help maintain the positive work atmosphere we pride ourselves on! Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 67 Reviews