Ludia Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.5
Ludia President and CEO Alex Thabet
Alex Thabet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • benefits, a lunch every friday, a party every few months (in 4 reviews)

• Proximity with management, top properties, fun work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just like in video games, low salary (in 3 reviews)

• Its simple enough I guess but hard (especially for a programmer) Ludia's engine is getting better and better every year but still chasing after Unity (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great environment"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming people, great environment, good benefits.

Cons

It's hard to switch careers internally.

2. "Some thoughts"

Current Employee - Senior UI Designer in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Senior UI Designer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great social environment, with great benefits.

Cons

Isn't organized like a company this size should be.

Advice to Management

Communicate better! And roles need to be organized more with a clear hierachy, especially when it comes to approvals.
    Too often important information comes too late.
    And with regards to Art...there are always far too many cooks in the kitchen...professionals need to be trusted and listened to.

"Where your career goes to die, sort of."

Former Employee - 3D/2D Artist in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - 3D/2D Artist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ludia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From all the places I've worked at, Ludia was the best place to work in terms of how they treat their employees and the perks they give. Yearly raises though they typically average about 2-3%.

Cons

The main problem with Ludia is lack of career progression and with that lack of significant pay increase as you will be paid below average. If you are level 1 aka junior you could probably get promoted eventually in about two plus years. If you are level 2 trying to be level 3 aka senior you might as well quit now. There is a road block and a dumb one at that. Upper management has no faith in trusting the opinion of the producers and leads of projects when it comes to promotions. They seem to think they know better even though most of those up for promotion have never met upper management so how can upper management know the quality of the work produced and the importance of those seeking promotion? There is a big exodus of level 2 people who are really level 3 but choose to seek employment elsewhere because of this. So with this Ludia lacks true senior level people so not surprisingly their latest projects have been failing. I don't see this changing. Upper management seem to think people are easily interchangeable so they don't try to keep their stellar employees around because their egos prevent them from promoting the more ambitious employees or try to accommodate them. So if this is you, don't apply here as you're just wasting your time and giving Ludia your expertise for below market pay.

Advice to Management

It's time to sort out career development of your employees. Have a long and hard talk with your hr department to see why so many experienced people have been leaving your company of late. Time to drop the ego and realize the mistakes you've done and work with your current employees to prevent more exodus of experienced people.

5. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Proximity with management, top properties, fun work environment

Cons

None that they are not working to improve

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and to become better at what we do!

"Amazing and fun work environment!"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Open, comfortable and clean environment
    - Amazing people to work with
    - Rooms with video games, ping pong, pool, Foosball, etc
    - Large lounge with couches and bean bags
    - Breakfast and snacks every day (Bagels, toast, fruit)
    - Catered lunch every Friday
    - Beer and wine after work every Friday
    - Gym membership with tons of classes (yoga, pilates, etc)
    - French and English classes
    - Flexible hours
    - Frequent parties to celebrate different company successes
    - Three weeks vacation plus a week off between Christmas and New Years

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. It's an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Please never change how you treat your employees.

8 May, 2017 – Human Resources Advisor

Thanks for your comments. It’s really nice to hear that you appreciate all that we do to offer you a nice work environment and enjoyable working conditions.

"Fun place to work with really knowledgeable and friendly team members"

Former Employee - Web Frontend Developer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Web Frontend Developer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging technical problems to solve
    - Freedom of choice for you tools and technical decisions
    - Evolution opportunities
    - Attentive and accessible management
    - IT department rocks
    - Fun place with a lot of activities (video-games tournament, soccer tables, lounge, parties...)

Cons

- Salaries lower than the market (depending on your position)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your teams ans making Ludia a great place to work !

8 May, 2017 – Human Resources Advisor

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your enthusiasm and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Ludia! Thanks again.

8. "Nice environnement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Pros

- Fast paced, if you want to learn, this the best way to go about it.
    - Technology driven, you'll have the chance to experience with new technologies.
    - Good extras, such as free food Friday, NUTELLA!!!, etc

Cons

- Just like in video games, low salary!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but maybe try to pivot from the startup mode.

8 May, 2017 – Human Resources Advisor

Thank you for your comments. Feedback is so important to us and letting us know that you enjoyed working at Ludia is always nice to hear. Please know that we are making strides in terms of our... More

"sincere review"

Former Employee - Artist in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Artist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ludia (More than 3 years)

Pros

- all the adds, goodies and small gifts from the company that are explained with details in other riviews ( fruits, free coffee, free lunch once a week, etc). But probably this may be a standard compare to other companies that more or less offer similar adventages.
    - Very good locations and places to relax.
    - Stability and quality of the job.
    - very good work time balance (almost no over time, but see my cons section).
    - Bonus every year ( not attached to you team project`s performance in sales).
    - In general, the people is respectfull and fun to work.

Cons

These are more like advices and thinks to take in mind before applying:

-Career Opportunities:

I don`t think that in this industry the opportunities are for everyone. If you read reviews from other companies is the same: no opportunities... But I think that this is like normal, because, like in any other field, you need look for them and not only do your "job" and that's it. You to give much more and show interest and compromise with the time to be spotted by managers. And a bit of luck, and timing. And of course, in a team of 10 of 15, nobody needs more than 1 lead, so...

- Compensation & Benefits:

Well it seems that Ludia is perceived as a "low" salary company. Should be true, but this is relative, because everything in salary is "negotiation" and normally in video games is very tied to the real "experience" and reputation and the position what you are applying. If you accept a low salary (if you think that) for some reason, then do not complain. And you need add the extra week of holidays and the bonus that I previously mentioned.

The salary annual rise seems to be very low (if you do normal acceptable job), but not all the time. (if you do something great and do more than your small task).

Work/ Life Balance:
    Well this a very important point here. It`s true that there is almost no over time and the tendency is more to be flexible and relax with working hours. Yeah that`s great for families and kids (senior people).
    But the point is if it is it to much ( I think this is the case), some people take advantage of that. Because of that permissiveness you should can perceive a Kind Laziness and some mediocrity on people's performance compare to other companies.

- Quality of the projects:

Well, there is not rocket science here. If you are looking to work for doing a nextgen art or super killer characters, probably is not the best place to come. Or if that is your dream and you need to come here for a first experience, you are welcome, but do not complain please after a couple of months.

I think the buiness model is Ok (taking licences, not doing originals IPs). In my case, as an artist, is see that more LUDIA as a stable place to work and have a decent live while I do my personal art at home. So again, you need to see the website before applying.

Some projects falided, some others have a lot sucess!!!! But I think that this is normal working in this hypercompetitive industry.

Advice to Management

- Read my cons section.
    - CEO: Probably comunicate more often with the company regular employees (do some speech once a month to inform about the company situation, etc)

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - 3D Animator in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well located, lots of perks, good atmosphere, and good installations. The CEO is super approachable and keen to listen, staff was always kind to me. I could easily say it's a good place to work

Cons

5th floor has a stinky bathroom.

Advice to Management

Develop your own IPs. You have golden artists and developers.

"One of the greatest in Montreal!"

Current Employee - Artist in Longueuil, QC
    Current Employee - Artist in Longueuil, QC

I have been working at Ludia full-time

Pros

Ludia has a strong root with a great president who knows where he's going and respect its employees. Not all the managers are great (as usual) but I've been there long enough to know where Ludia comes from and its great to work there. A lot of people have years within the studio for good reasons. The studio is from Montreal and started almost from nothing. Now dealing with big partners and nice budget.

The company evolved into a big (300++) and its still good with a nice vibe and more perks than ever. For sure the bigger it gets, the harder it his to keep control on who's coming in and out.. so yeah, jerks there and there, bad projects sometimes, but in general, its awesome.

Nice franchises and licenses to work with. Nice people. Nice perks. Nice place (Vieux-Port).

Cool party and friday nights with beer and music !!! A lounge to chill out and re-focus on work afterwards and maybe make new friends around the pool table...!

HR is friendly and nice and you know that Ludia focuses on the well-being of the people even if money becomes a big deal when you get big as this.

Every projects has its own QA team in the same floor.

The engine team (Ludia has its own engine) is 2 min away and can fix, change or add anything worth it within days.

They have a big company behind them (FreemantleMedia), the mothership! And thats good!
    (they do still have full independence tho, and thats even more awesome and rare.

Ludia likes sports and have teams if you wanna join.

Breakfast and coffee all day ! yep... (free Nutella is just cool)

Bonuses for everybody, even if you're project is not doing well at all.

Free lunch every friday.

I feel that this type of studio is rare and most people will want to stay as long as they can. Unfortunately, its not for everyone. Every studio as its own thing I guess.

The values are great!

After a couple of years, i think I could stay for another couple of years :)

Cons

I think they need to go more towards the employees with training and classes. (industry is moving fast, especially with mobile and people need to stay on top of it. Also as a small studio and the competition in Montreal, you need to show people that they can and will evolve if they stay)

As you grow, that small studio mentality that most people want to keep is hard to keep alive, they need to do more about that (I don't know how but its important, Ive heard a lot about that around the studio) :)

Having their OWN engine is something that a lot of people thinks is a bad thing on the long run. Everyone that comes to Ludia needs to learn it. Its simple enough I guess but hard (especially for a programmer) Ludia's engine is getting better and better every year but still chasing after Unity.
    Ludia made great games with that engine anyway but its something to consider.

Theres always something to whine about since its still our job and we're living 40h a week :P but in the end, the PROS are always crushing the CONS IMO !

Advice to Management

Have more meetings or session for employees to meet and suggest things. Things that they wanna changes or the good and bad experience for this project or whatever.

More people from outside should come and test the games and talk with the key people of the team to make sure things are going good on a game that has reach alpha or beta.

Associate producer can be a necessity real fast on the projects that we have now (bigger and bigger)

QAs need to connect more with the team.

Have Game Jams !!!

More activities to connect people inside and outside work (other than party and booze :P)