LoveToKnow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

LoveToKnow Reviews

3.5
Howard Love

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Cushy Writing Job, But No Autonomy"

Former Freelancer - Writer
    Former Freelancer - Writer

I worked at LoveToKnow (Less than a year)

Pros

I love LoveToKnow's emphasis on well-researched, expert articles with authoritative, reliable sources

Pay is not bad. They seem to appreciate their writers enough.

You get to choose which articles you'd like to write from a list, and when you pitch an approved article, they pay you an extra $15 on top of the base pay per article.

Feedback from the editor is usually helpful

Cons

A lot of micromanagement. It feels like the editor is breathing down your neck at times.

Each article that you choose from a list comes with a set of instructions that are many times unclear and vague, so when you write up the article, you're required to make several revisions.

Editors usually edit for clean copy, grammar, and overall readability, but at LTK, it seems as if they will ask you to re-write the article if they feel it's not "funny" enough or the direction you took with the topic doesn't fit their personal tastes - even though you followed instructions to the T.

You do not get paid a dime for revisions.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your writers. By doing this, you will stifle their creativity, and also promote creative fear. I'll bet they have trouble with retention due to this reason.

"Great company!"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at LoveToKnow (More than 3 years)

Pros

My overall experience with LoveToKnow has been very positive. They make me feel part of their team, even as a freelancer. They have a supportive and accessible editorial staff. Their editorial process is flexible yet efficient.

Cons

The only con is the pay rate for writers is on the lower side for the amount of work, research, and expertise expected. This forces me to take on less assignments with them compared to higher-paying clients and makes me more selective about the assignments I take. Having said that, I continue to write for LoveToKnow because I enjoy the types of articles available in my niche and their editorial staff is one of the best I've worked with.

3. "Best employer overall"

Current Employee - Production Designer in Redmond, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Production Designer in Redmond, OR (US)

I have been working at LoveToKnow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Flexible work schedule
    2. Great pay
    3. Paid on time always
    4. Terrific management team
    5. Terrific engineering team
    6. Best editorial team
    7. Most outstanding writers
    8. Outstanding CEO
    9. All team members professional, engaged and highly interested in their work

I've worked at LoveToKnow for the last 9 1/2 years. The management team is the best around. The whole LoveToKnow team including the CEO have great attitudes, are dedicated, are flexible, dive right in to help solve problems, are accessible, very talented and more. I've enjoyed working with LoveToKnow more than any other employer I've had.

Cons

Absolutely no cons. This is a dream company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

4. "Strong online media company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA (US)

Pros

LoveToKnow offers telecommuting employment and freelance positions with true work flexibility for all positions.
    LoveToKnow owns a number of web sites, so there are a lot of roles/types of work available.
    They pay consistently and on time.

Cons

The pay rates may not be the highest, but it they are fair and offer a lot of flexibility in return.
    They have very high standards for writers and expect some subject expertise

Advice to Management

LoveToKnow is a good place to work because it offers great flexibility, honest and kind management. Yes, there have been some hiccups in the past, but it is on a good direction currently.

"Don't bother"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at LoveToKnow as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor requires pros of working for this company to be added here, but I don't have anything positive to add

Cons

My experiences working with this company perfectly match other negative reviews, and rest assured, as a contractor you will be treated badly on several fronts. First, the pay rate for contract positions is about 1/2 to 1/3 the average U.S. rate. Second, the management has no interest in innovation, competence, skills, and knowledge that could add value to the company, and will attempt to micromanage even the smallest of tasks given to a few actually competent individuals, citing the need for "quality" work as an excuse, while overlooking the poor quality of others' work. It should be noted that the micromanagement also lowers the actual overall pay rate, since there is much time spent on unpaid tasks to keep in line with their pedantic systems. Third, the stifling environment is NOT a place to grow skills or exercise creativity, there is no possibility for advancement, and if you are experienced when you start with this company, expect your skills to wither over time. As mentioned by another reviewer, I also found working for LoveToKnow to be very demoralizing, and the work environment to be unprofessional. The company's expectations are unreasonable and disproportionate to a contractor's return. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with LoveToKnow.

Advice to Management

Pay contractors a fair rate, learn effective management techniques, reward competence and innovation, and trust the people they hire to do the work they were hired for.

6. "Absolutely delightful employer."

Former Employee - Info Tech in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Info Tech in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at LoveToKnow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. telecommuting,
    2. flexible schedules,
    3. co-worker consensus

Cons

All of these could be "Cons" or "Pros",depending on your point of view and personal work-style preferences:
    IT employees are left having to make uncertain policy choices. .
    Sometimes it is difficult to reach co-workers when needed.
    Top managers vary from hands-on,to hands-off.
    Site and project viability or growth choices are sometimes at the whims of google. (i.e. even tho there is top-notch content,the automated decisions of search engines can rank it down)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Nicer and better than Crowd Source and the like, but still falls way short if you're a professional."

Current Contractor - Content Provider
    Current Contractor - Content Provider

I have been working at LoveToKnow as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, accessible, pays on time
    Not quite as bad as Crowd Source and its competitors

Cons

Any professional journalist who has worked for legitimate publications know that the lowest possible pay you should ever get is $100 per article. JUST for writing. Then other professionals do proofreading, copy editing, formatting and photographs, sometimes fact checking as well. And $100 is the charity rate, you know, the one you charge to local nonprofits and the like.

However, Lovetoknow pays $20-$40 for you to do ALL the above jobs. All of them, for the price of a dinner at McDonald's for two. It's very demoralizing and insulting. If you are desperate and about to be evicted, well, anything is better than nothing, but if you do it too long you're self-esteem and sense of professional self worth will be severely diminished. And never admit to any real publication that you've worked for this one, it's a serious reputation killer! Use a pen name if you can.

Advice to Management

Don't try to turn professional writers into publishing jacks of all trades; pay true professionals what they are worth.

"Great company"

Former Contractor - Group Editor in Burlingame, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Group Editor in Burlingame, CA (US)

I worked at LoveToKnow as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid right on time. Offered learning resources. Always improving.

Cons

Pay rate low for amount of work, but still good for a workathome job. After Google algorithm changes in 2011, site drastically affected and layoffs necessitated. Prior to Google changes, there was great promotion and growth opportunities.