Long & McQuade Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2020

3.5
Long & McQuade President; President, Yorkville Sound Steve Long
Steve Long
Pros
  • "Almost everyone working there is either a musician or technician or teacher, so they all understand the needs of the clientele(in 9 reviews)

• "Employee discount, flexibility on hours, employee friendly atmosphere(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Retail hours can be inconvenient for people who like evenings for family(in 4 reviews)

• "Low respect from upper management for tasks well done/initiatives(in 4 reviews)

1. "Well managed company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Lessons Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Long & McQuade part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is well managed and puts a lot of trust in their employees. The managers were accommodated needs, within reason. You receive excellent training as well.

Cons

My schedule was very inflexible.

2. COVID-19

"Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Sales & Rental Associate

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you get to work with are usually really cool and everyone is into music

Cons

Being a woman, I found this job to be a bad time from a customer stand point. I was constantly undermined, asked if I "even know what I'm doing", if I "even play an instrument" and had a sexual harassment incident with a customer, and management dealt with is very poorly. I was doing more than just being a "Sales & Rental Associate" yet I was never compensated as such. I'm not going into specifics as I don't want to be identified. I am currently laid off due to Covid and there has been ZERO communication regarding when we will be brought back. I found out from a Facebook post that stores were open to the public again, and had it confirmed by a co-worker when I went and asked.

Long & McQuade Response

June 19, 2020President

This is an interesting comment. We did not "lay off" employees during Covid 19, as we remained open for shipping and pick up orders the whole time. Some of our employees said that they felt uncomfortable working because of the virus, and we allowed anyone that wanted to take a voluntary layoff. However, as these were voluntary, I'm not sure why this person has not contacted their store and let them know that they wanted to return. For any specific questions, my email is stevelong@long-mcquade.com and i would welcome any questions from this person. Regarding the other issue, as a company we are taking many initiatives to make our workplace friendly for both genders. We have just instituted a mentorship program for female employees, to help navigate an industry that has traditionally been male dominated. Fortunately I have not heard any issues with management or fellow staff, but I can understand that some customers can be challenging. That was one of the ideas behind the mentorship program, to try and resolve some of these issues. Steve Long

"They pay us like its the 1970's"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall a great place to come to work everyday, I mean you get to be around music all day everyday, very understanding about Gigs and time off to play gigs ect.

Cons

The pay is grossly insufficient for the amount of products that we move on a daily, monthly and yearly basis, this company does a half billion in revenue each year and we get paid like we sell shirts at Le Chateau. The talent that most all of the L&M staff is nothing short of impressive both musically and intellectually regarding music. Although I absolutely love working at L&M I find myself looking for a new job as its near impossible to live in BC with our wages.

4. "Great job"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time

Pros

Full time salaried and consistent days off are excellent for retail. Great atmosphere and you get well treated.

Cons

Pay is insufficient unless you gig on the side.

5. "Some good some bad but opportunity to advance"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Long & McQuade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Low pressure sales environment - Fun industry to work in - opportunity to advance

Cons

- Easy to become complacent in your role - Questionable management and head office choices

6. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time

Pros

- Nice working environment - friendly staff - good work life balance - Flexible work hours

Cons

A downside can be low pay rate

"Please Consider Paying Lessons Coordinators Appropriately"

Current Employee - Lesson Centre Coordinator
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere is mostly positive especially in the music lessons area.

Cons

I feel like as a lesson coordinator, we are treated as "second class" compared to the other staff. Other staff can easily book off time or if they are sick, it's no big deal. I've seen coworkers get sick and everyone just says to stay home and get better soon. Meanwhile, if I have a death in the family, I'm made to feel like it's the biggest inconvenience even though it's management's job to take care of a situation like this as they are paid a hefty salary to do so. As a lesson coordinator, I feel quite separate from the rest of the store and forgotten. Often, our manager will pick up lunch for all of the staff on very busy days where everyone might not get a break. Since the lesson centre isn't right on the sales floor, I have been forgotten several times only to come onto the floor to see empty pizza boxes and watch the other staff mumble a halfhearted apology that they forgot about me yet again. (That is petty but it adds up after happening multiple times over multiple years). When applying to this job, the job description started off with "as part of the management team" which led to believe that this job would pay somewhere near a management salary or at least eventually get near a management salary. I noticed that this has since been removed, probably because someone else called them out on this about not paying anywhere near management pay. While the job is basically like a department manager job, the only difference is that the teachers that we are responsible for managing are independent contractors rather than employees. This one technicality makes it even more difficult to manage teachers as there are no performance reviews, staff meetings, or incentives like raises. They disguise this job as coordinator instead of manager so they can pay us less when this job very will is similar to a department manager and it is a very big department with a lot of moving parts. I feel this position should pay more appropriately for what is involved and all of the stress of running such a large department with minimal help. I have been told that this position has a very high turnover and if anyone is wondering why, it all boils down to being paid unfairly within the company and unfairly when comparing other jobs with similar responsibilities and having the least flexible schedule out of any position in the store and the hours are late. If the evening shifts were shared a bit more, this would create longterm job satisfaction and employees would be much happier across the board which makes happier teachers which makes happier customers. This is only a personal account, so if anyone is considering applying, please consider checking out all of the reviews as I feel that situations are different depending on which location you are working at.

Continue reading

"Overall a great entry-level job"

Current Employee - Sales & Rental Associate

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers! love being around music all day. Great benefits and training, sales staff have a good level of autonomy as well.

Cons

not enough pay for a high level of responsibility compared to most retail stores.

"I enjoyed working at Long & McQuade"

Former Employee - Lesson Centre Coordinator

I worked at Long & McQuade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health and dental benefits, employee discounts, coworkers are all musicians, working in music education

Cons

Unpaid lunches, some ineffective managers, store understaffed

"Great company to work for"

5.0

I have been working at Long & McQuade full-time

Pros

Honest and caring approach to business

Cons

Facing challenges stemming from company's operations not keeping up to growth

Found 63 reviews