Kool Smiles Employee Reviews about "quality dental care"

Updated Oct 17, 2016

3.2
Kool Smiles Executive Dental Directors Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth
Pros
  • "Learn to work at fast pace and meet different doctors(in 19 reviews)

• "We stand behind our core values and make decisions through our priority pledge and work to give the best service while providing quality dental care(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset(in 14 reviews)

• "It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "quality dental care"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Work at a Company with a Purpose

Jun 21, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at various companies throughout the years, software, travel, training, technology, professional services, etc. Most of the time your company is in a business that is providing a product or service but that product or service is not assisting in helping improve the lives of others. However, if you work at Kool Smiles you know your Company is providing a service that helps communities throughout the US. The access to dental care in a lot of the communities that KS serves is minimal or non-existant for those that need it the most. I've seen the lives that this Company has touched and to be able to work with an organization like that is fulfilling.

Cons

Working here is not like working in an "ordinary" dental clinic. It can be difficult at times but the good things in life don't come easy. If you believe in the values of the Company, and believe you are serving the greater good, the pros outweigh the cons that you may have to encounter on a day to day basis.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Kool Smiles is a great place to work!

Jun 13, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kool Smiles has a very important mission: to provide high quality dental care to poor children. I sleep very well at night knowing that's what we do for a living. We have by far the best quality and compliance in dentistry, including when you compare vs private dentists. And the people are terrific- the most talented, dedicated team at all levels that I've ever worked with

Cons

The industry seems to be under attack from people and groups who have no idea what they are talking about, no idea what the facts are. They are just looking for a way to make a quick buck or a name for themselves by lying and sweeping Kool Smiles in under the same rug that a couple of poor quality competitors are under. But I am certain the facts will win out over people and groups who are attacking us. Kool Smiles' mission and people are worth fighting for!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Kool Smiles is a kool place

Jun 12, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kool Smiles is a company with an important mission--to provide quality dental care to underserved communities, many of whom have very limited access to quality care. This mission is a passion of many of the company's employees, even those who are not involved in clinical care settings. It feels very good to walk into work everyday and serve others, especially those in need. "Fun" and "Diversity" are two of the corporate Values that are lived everyday. Which companies can truly say that? I have worked in many corporate settings and this is by far the best from a soul-satisfaction point of view. I never have to wonder whether my work is worthwhile--I know it is.

Cons

Sometimes we are short-handed or don't have enough resources to serve the maximum number of patients that we would like to. The company has grown quickly (since the demand its services is strong) and infrastructure/resources have not always kept up with that growth. Good problem to have, if you have to have one.

4. 5.0

We are family!

Oct 6, 2016 - Office Manager in Laredo, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Do what you love and you'll never work one day in your life"? Before working at Kool Smiles, this phrase was only a sentence. Kool Smiles is more than just a company. Kool Smiles is a large family working together to accomplish our mission, to expand high quality dental care for underserved communities. Our dream is to create a world filled with happy and healthy smiles. With that being said, do I consider my job "work"? My answer is a simple, "no!" I feel blessed to work for a company that values our talents, promotes our individual growth, and is FUN.... If you are ready to make a difference in others' lives while partnering up with the best group of people, Kool Smiles is the family to join!!!!

Cons

We want some Kool Smiles backpacks. Those are Kool!!!!

5. 5.0

Walking the Talk

Jun 15, 2012 - Senior Regional Dental Director in Sherman, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company committed to their mission of providing high quality dental care to the underserved community and I know firsthand the company excels at this! Doing good for others in a very compassionate way is refreshing. The company listens to their employees to find ways to make the organization stronger and more like a "family". My advice...take the time to see what we do and how we do it well!

Cons

This company operates in an industry that is highly competitive and one that is scrutinized by the media and others who have limited knowledge and understanding of what we do, the patients we serve, or how fiscal responsibility is one of the underlying elements our quality service.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Pros

Kool Smiles gives you a unique opportunity to make a difference in society each and every day. Each day you get the privilege to improve the quality of life for children that truly need dental care. The crisis of an oral health care epidemic with low socioeconomic children is evident and Kool Smiles is tackling this issue head on. As a health care provider, there is no better feeling than when you know you are impacting society and you have fellow team members that are as passionate about making a difference as you are. Kool Smiles gives you this access and opportunity to truly make a difference. The Kool Smiles organization has some very talented individuals within it and I enjoyed working with upper management and senior clinical leadership. Co-workers and fellow associate dentists are very supportive and as a whole Kool Smiles is very focused on high quality of care for their patients, something every healthcare provider desires from an organization. Kool Smiles definitely allows you to make an impact along with earning a great salary.

Cons

Kool Smiles patient schedules can sometimes be a little overwhelming especially for a new dentist. The hours of the day can sometimes be long and very exhausting especially in the summer leaving you exhausted for your home life at the end of the day. Blackout periods or non-vacation times often coincide with school closings which is the same time that your children or spouse may have time off from their respective organization. This can sometimes be frustrating as it can be hard to meet with your family and loved ones. Though senior clinical leadership, upper management and regional business management within the organization are very strong, I felt that regional clinical leadership in certain regions was truly lacking; forcing many talented doctors to leave the company to pursue other goals. There were many doctors that I knew that left the company because of this poor communication style by regional clinical leadership. Sometimes as a doctor, it could be frustrating to manage a staff as hiring and firing employees were not in your control.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Kool Smiles is missions driven

Oct 17, 2016 - Dentist in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with Kool Smiles for about 6+ years. I enjoy working here because it feels like I work with family, as you become united when you join together for a greater purpose, which at Kool Smiles is for the mission of providing quality dental care to under served communities. I really enjoy everyone with whom I work and it's a great feeling to know that what I do makes a difference.

Cons

As with any job, there are good days and bad days but I think it helps to know that the overall vision of what we do is positive.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

employment review

Apr 11, 2016 - Regional Business Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the mission of this organization. Everyone top to bottom is well aligned with providing quality dental care to the underserved. They have a very strong focus around employee satisfaction and development. They encourage self directed development as well provides various educational and development programs each year. High growth company with lots of opportunity at all levels.

Cons

It is hard to think of the Cons in this organization. Finding qualified doctors that share are mission is crucial and not always an easy task.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Kool Smiles is a great place to work...

Jun 18, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kool Smiles is a great company full of integrity driven and compassionate leaders whose number one priority is to help children. The company is committed to providing quality dental care in a safe and courteous environment. I am blessed to be a part of such a compassionate group of people. When you walk out the door each night, you truly feel like you've made a difference in the lives of children.

Cons

I simply cannot think of one negative thing to say about the work environment at Kool Smiles.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

AMAZING place to work!

Jun 15, 2012 - Paralegal in Marietta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Obvious commitment to providing the best quality care to the individuals in most need of dental care. Supportive environment to work in throughout every department. Obvious commitment to providing a safe, courteous and fun work atmosphere that in turn, produces a very high morale among the employees.

Cons

Honestly, I have only worked here about 3 months but have not seen anything that I would consider a "con". I have only positive things to say about Kool Smiles and its mission.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews