Kool Smiles Employee Reviews about "hygiene"

Updated May 3, 2019

Found 8 of over 302 reviews

3.2
Kool Smiles Executive Dental Directors Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth
Pros
  • "Learn to work at fast pace and meet different doctors(in 19 reviews)

• "We stand behind our core values and make decisions through our priority pledge and work to give the best service while providing quality dental care(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset(in 14 reviews)

• "It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "hygiene"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Get ready to work for a year of two then find a new job.

May 3, 2019 - Dental Assistant in Christiansburg, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. They were young, fun, and overall tried to make the office a nice place to be.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid would basically sum up my qualms with this position. High volume offices regularly missed lunch and worked late. The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset. It all came down to poor scheduling. It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients. If they just shortened the columns then patients would be more equally distributed throughout the day.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

General dentist

Aug 16, 2015 - General Dentist
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a job that pays. After graduation, a new dentist with no experience needs somewhere to begin their career. This is where I began my career. I wanted to get more experience with kids and that's exactly what I got.

Cons

Seeing 40 to 50 patients a day (most of them were children) this WILL drain you Working through lunch...going home late Five days off a year Working every night after leaving the office (charts charts and more charts) Dental director that pressures you for more production Limited room for professional growth They don't mention this, but you will be expected to do comprehensive exams (hygiene checks) that you will never be compensated for, this will annoy you once you realize how much time you spend doing them. It will also annoy you while doing operative (where compensation occurs), and you constantly get called for hygiene checks. Personally I didn't get many Saturday's off, working five days on and one day off occurred a lot, my schedule was never steady. There may be some docs that have worked for this company with a better history than I have had. Unfortunately this company was not for me. When I handed in my 90 day notice it was a long wait....but I found something better....way better. I enjoy work and my life outside of it now.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Dental Assistant/ Patient Coordinator

Oct 7, 2016 - Dental Assistant/Patient Coordintaor in Yuma, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love to work for the under served. I love the staff and the people that we work for. I always feel appreciated it by My OM and the CTL.

Cons

I think we see to many patients in Hygiene. I understand that because of the "no show rate" is that we book so many patients, but I think our patient do not receive the adequate time for their cleaning appointment. I wish we had a better dental and medical insurance.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Doctors don't sign contract

Apr 24, 2017 - Associate Doctor in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Little pay check nothing eles

Cons

Only 5 days paid off , No paid Holidays , Don't be fooled by Daily Guarantee last 6 months After they average. You can not make $ With way they scedule you have to see 10 to 12 operative patients Along with 20+ hygiene If you don't produce you are in trouble On top of all if you quit you are held to 90 Days Working on collection only .they recruiting team lie to you . DON'T SIGN GO FOR BETTER DEAL . BEWARE .

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Expanded Duty Dental Assistant

Sep 19, 2017 - Expanded Functions Dental Assistant in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A good company depending on the higher up coworkers and how you get along with them.

Cons

Not enough time to clean a room especially if a lot of blood has come in contact with non-removable surfaces and too much micro managing with that area as well. Hygiene is kind of the same when it comes down to cleaning not enough time. Unless you don't care and that can make you a faster worker, but also get you in trouble.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee

Not a great work environment

May 20, 2017 - Office Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is ok for Office Managers. The company really does have a good mission and intentions and provides a service to people who otherwise might not have anywhere else to go.

Cons

Because Medicaid pays so little and the patients have a very low show rate (due to the fact that you cannot charge them a no show fee), Kool Smiles perpetually overbooks their patients to compensate. When there is a low show rate, it's fine. But certain times of the day (especially when kids are out of school) it is a perfect storm and everyone shows up and you have 12 people booked when you have 8 chairs in hygiene and 7 people booked when you only have 4 spots in operatory. You cannot possibly see everyone on time for their appointment. You constantly have to deal with patients and parents who are angry that you are always behind on schedule. Their call center verifies commercial insurance and patients show up ALL THE TIME and the call center hasn't verified their insurance yet so they sit and wait and cuss you out. When you call the reps to see when it'll be done they get attitudes and tell you they don't know and maybe the patient should reschedule. The call center books appointments all the time and doesn't bother to take insurance information so when the patient shows up you have to put it in the computer and again wait on the call center. They book extensive appointments at the last hour of the day so you are either there very late or you have to call the patients and reschedule and get cussed out on the phone. Not to mention patients get pissed any time you call them because the call center calls, texts, and emails them NON STOP to confirm their appointments. And the patients don't know or care that it is the call center doing these things and not the office, because we are the same company. The company pays dental assistants lower than anywhere I have seen so you are forced to hire people with no experience and then they are poached by better practices for more pay after they get the experience under their belt that you gave them. There is little to no support for office managers from upper management.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Unprofessional, it's clear everyone is overworked and stressed out!

Feb 11, 2015 - Dental Assistant in Takoma Park, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Need Your Foot In The Door If you're right out of college and can't get a job because of experience this place will give it to you. I was hired right away, but now I know why, because this company has a HIGH turn over rate... I worked here for a year to get on my feet; I was able to work with real patients, learn real charting, and get an idea of how an office ran, but at the end of that year I literally wanted to pull my hair out with frustration and the amount of stress I was dealing with. Also within that year about 6 of the employees I first started working with left! Good Benefits 401k Health insurance Dental and all that good stuff

Cons

Over Worked when I first got hired I noticed there were some Dental assistants that only worked with the doctors (4 handed dentistry) 1 patient at a time everyday, and some dental assistants that only worked in what we called the hygiene bay; which consisted of about 8 chairs where DAs had to seat patients (mainly children) for cleanings, xrays, and exam. On a good day you'll have 4 DAs in the bay and each DA will take 2 chairs, however there were WAY more bad days where there weren't enough staff and only 2 DAs in the bay so each DA had to have 4 chairs! That's 4 patients at a time! We have to seat the patient, take xrays on all 4 patient's depending on age, chart with the doctor (when they feel like coming) get treatment plans, explain treatment, and most times the doctor will do same day care dispite how hectic the schedule already is or how many patients are already waiting to be seen. In between all this you somehow have to find time to sterilize instruments, clean your chairs, and bring more patients back as quickly as possible so you don't have empty chairs. Patient wait time I have had WAY to many patients come to me complaining about their wait time, or asking when their child is gonna be seen. Many patients just walk out and others believe it's your fault so they are rude to you. Front desk and the call center over book patients so although we only have 8 chairs and not enought staff available there are 13-15 patients waiting to be seen in 1 hour. When you tell the doctors your patients are ready for checks they don't come right away. Then when they do and they find cavities the doctors expect the patient to wait another 30 mins even thou they have been waiting for an hour already, to be seen in the operating rooms for same day care. No Teamwork Due to the heavy work load people at this office are ALWAYS trying to find ways to easy up their jobs. Whether it be going against the schedule order (skipping patients) to seeing all babies so you don't have to take xrays leaving your already over worked and also stressed out "team member" to take on the extra load. Or taking advantage of a new staff member who doesn't know that you're using them to get out of doing more work, or instead of working together to get something done your co worker would rather say that's not my job today. Extremely Poor Management! I have tried to talk to management about the problems of the office and several of the other staff have gone to management as well but NOTHING ever gets delt with. I have literally sat in a meeting where one of the employees was unprofessional bashing her Co worker directly in front of management and all management said was they need to get along. The employee didn't get written up for name calling or anything and was right back to work with the same Co worker she bashed the next day.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Current Employee

Kool smiles employee review

Oct 17, 2016 - General Dentist in Gretna, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from co workers(doctors) and area dental directors. Don't have to worry about management of front office.

Cons

Don't get paid for hygiene checks which accounts for more than operative procedures.

1 person found this review helpful