Kool Smiles Employee Reviews about "dentists"

Updated Aug 19, 2020

3.2
Kool Smiles Executive Dental Directors Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth
Pros
  • "Learn to work at fast pace and meet different doctors(in 19 reviews)

• "We stand behind our core values and make decisions through our priority pledge and work to give the best service while providing quality dental care(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset(in 14 reviews)

• "It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dentists"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Would not recommend

Aug 19, 2020 - Patient Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

My only pro was my coworkers. They made it barely to get through the day.

Cons

Very busy, irate patients and some unapproachable dentists.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Get ready to work for a year of two then find a new job.

May 3, 2019 - Dental Assistant in Christiansburg, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. They were young, fun, and overall tried to make the office a nice place to be.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid would basically sum up my qualms with this position. High volume offices regularly missed lunch and worked late. The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset. It all came down to poor scheduling. It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients. If they just shortened the columns then patients would be more equally distributed throughout the day.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Very rewarding, love my staff, love the children and my supervisor is great at letting me know how valued I am.

May 18, 2012 - Office Manager in Monroe, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with the kids, the great fun positive staff, & the doctors that really love what they do. The entire staff is dedicated to making the visit to the dentist fun and providing quality care to our patients. I spend more time with this staff than with my own family and it really is a joy coming to work with them everyday!! If it is one thing that I can say about the staff I work with they are FUN, Caring and love KIDS!!!!

Cons

I do not like working Saturdays (9-2pm) I understand why we do it (so working parents do not have to miss work) but when you have children of your own envolved in activities on Saturdays it is hard on them and me to not be there. We rotate so it is not so bad.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Kool Smiles is a great place to work!

Jun 13, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kool Smiles has a very important mission: to provide high quality dental care to poor children. I sleep very well at night knowing that's what we do for a living. We have by far the best quality and compliance in dentistry, including when you compare vs private dentists. And the people are terrific- the most talented, dedicated team at all levels that I've ever worked with

Cons

The industry seems to be under attack from people and groups who have no idea what they are talking about, no idea what the facts are. They are just looking for a way to make a quick buck or a name for themselves by lying and sweeping Kool Smiles in under the same rug that a couple of poor quality competitors are under. But I am certain the facts will win out over people and groups who are attacking us. Kool Smiles' mission and people are worth fighting for!

5. 5.0

KS Doctor

Oct 6, 2016 - Area Dental Director in Terre Haute, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working at KS right after I graduated from dental school. I was worried about working in a corporate dental atmosphere as the things you hear in school are less than positive but I can honestly say that I'm so glad to have chosen KS to further my career as a dentist. Our mission to serve children and adults in areas where access to care is lower aligned with my ideals as a practicing dentist. I think that our support system is wonderful, especially for a new dentist who still may be unsure of themselves. Not only do you have mentors, but also have access to CE courses through the company and a stipend to use elsewhere to further your education. In addition, I love that high quality care is their mission. I'm continually receiving feedback on my work to make sure it's in line with AAPD Guidelines. For me, I never plan on leaving Kool Smiles.

Cons

This isn't a con to me, but it could be to some people. Kool Smiles life is fast paced, but I love it that way.

6. 5.0

Area Dental Director

Mar 30, 2016 - Area Dental Director in Brownsville, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel very fortunate to work in Koolsmiles, my hard work has always been recognized and rewarded. I love working with kids and Koolsmiles is by far the best corporate dental clinic that allows me to do that safely and efficiently. I have the privilege of experienced general dentists and specialists who encourage me to increase my skillset and improve my quality. Koolsmiles allows me to make career improvements while being actively engaged in patient care. It has given me confidence in my work. It has stricter compliance requirements than any state or national regulatory agency and that assures me that I do not knowingly or unknowingly make mistakes. It has been a great place to work with awesome mentors and opportunities to grow.

Cons

I have been with Koolsmiles more than 6 years and as with any large companies, it started out with growing pains. However, the most encouraging part is that Koolsmiles takes active care to prevent any previous mistakes from repeating. It has started a company wide program three years ago and has implemented many amazing changes already.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

General dentist

Aug 16, 2015 - General Dentist
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a job that pays. After graduation, a new dentist with no experience needs somewhere to begin their career. This is where I began my career. I wanted to get more experience with kids and that's exactly what I got.

Cons

Seeing 40 to 50 patients a day (most of them were children) this WILL drain you Working through lunch...going home late Five days off a year Working every night after leaving the office (charts charts and more charts) Dental director that pressures you for more production Limited room for professional growth They don't mention this, but you will be expected to do comprehensive exams (hygiene checks) that you will never be compensated for, this will annoy you once you realize how much time you spend doing them. It will also annoy you while doing operative (where compensation occurs), and you constantly get called for hygiene checks. Personally I didn't get many Saturday's off, working five days on and one day off occurred a lot, my schedule was never steady. There may be some docs that have worked for this company with a better history than I have had. Unfortunately this company was not for me. When I handed in my 90 day notice it was a long wait....but I found something better....way better. I enjoy work and my life outside of it now.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Area Dental Director

Apr 12, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being with the company for 8 years, I have seen our company face many challenges from our communities and peers. We recognize that things are not always perfect and we will continue to face challenges as any organization. However, Kool Smiles and those who truly believe in our mission have the resiliency to see these challenges through to make things better, not only for our patients, but for our employees. This company encourages and expects growth in the development of our staff. They have challenged me to become a better doctor, a better leader, and a better mentor to other dentists. Because of these lasting skills, I will be able to help make a significant, positive change for the oral health of our communities and the patients we serve.

Cons

Work/ life balance is a continuous challenge, but manageable.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Flexibility

May 10, 2016 - Dental Assistant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kool Smiles is extremely flexible for a part time employee. Working PRN is excellent and in my experience, the OM works to get you hours when asked. Kool Smiles will train you in front office duties, and different specialties. This is good for those who want to gain experiece from a 1st job. CPR certification, Nitrous Oxide Monitoring, Sealant Certification are all expanded duties an assistant can take advantage of. Networking works well here, since many traveling dentists work in the office. Full time employees have benefits such has health insurance, 401k, and discounted dental for family members. PTO and paid vacation.

Cons

Fast paced, which may be good for some, but can be too much at times. If over booked, many times employees may work into lunch hour. Over time is not acceptable. Many different dentists with different expectations, so you have to learn many different personalities and ways. Sometimes promises from OM or above is not fulfilled. Not enough time for patient education or rapport. Expected to be quick and turn rooms over, which can lead to non stop working until the end of the day. OM runs the office, not the dentist. They do not understand patient care, so this can be difficult. They tend to favor front office employees ratber than clinicians.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Kool Smiles Review

Jun 19, 2012 - Registered Dental Hygienist in Lubbock, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with kids!! The pay and benefits are really good. I like working with lots of different kinds of people. The place is nice and clean.

Cons

The Dentists and RDH's do not have any control over their schedule, so sometimes it is way too many patients to handle.

1 person found this review helpful