Konrad Group Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

3.7
Pros
  • "Lots of perks, free snacks, team events, Friday lunches, RRSP matching, beautiful offices(in 10 reviews)

• "Lot's of social events and clubs(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "They also don't trust their employees to be independent enough to work from home(in 13 reviews)

• "Have an amazing culture to cover up bad hours and salary, with no HR department (over 200 employees btw)(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Great company with a heavy focus on building a strong community feeling"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Huge focus on community/team-building - Lots of events/retreats; monthly team activities - Interesting projects with some high-profile clients - Facilitates growth with weekly seminars that aim to expose devs to various technologies/concepts

Cons

- Inflexible WFH policy (pre-COVID). Although, the company found a lot of success during COVID WFH so this might change? - Benefits aren't as inclusive as some of the larger tech companies. Still pretty good though

2. "Ok"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Konrad Group full-time

Pros

Shortcuts are always there to help

Cons

No managers in during the holidays to help

"Worked Out OK"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Toronto, ON

I worked at Konrad Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely creative team. Met some great folks. This job worked out really well for me as a career springboard. I work in marketing currently, and having dipped my toes in tech/UX writing has been helpful for getting freelance work/opening doors.

Cons

Was hired for a job that didn't end up really existing, which dampened my enthusiasm for the place. Full credit to my direct supervisors, they tried to make it work anyway, and I got to work on some interesting projects while I was there. They were generous with their letters of recommendation on the way out, which I really appreciated. There was sort of a weird upper management bro culture while I was there, but they all seemed like basically nice boys. "Con" is a strong word, but it wasn't a "pro" either.

4. COVID-19

"Wonderful teams and huge growth in development"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Had to write after seeing some of these reviews... I get it's not a perfect company, but I feel extremely happy where I am and I've been working here for over 3 years. Truly shows how reviews are populated by people who are angry about a bad situation, we need more of the happy employees to get on here (I know there's lots of them!). - fast paced and always learning new technologies if that's what you're into (I am) - they have taken into account recommendations like providing an official single HR representative, mentor assignments, onboarding applications, flex hours/early leave on long weekends during the summer, announcements when visitors from other offices arrive to go and say hey/plan some outings. - the team is amazing, I love everyone I work with and have amazing conversations about tech - I have a great manager and am given a clear path on my objectives after reviews to achieve progression in the company, also have monthly, less official reviews - we have so many social events, social outings, group trips, support with employee scheduled events, charity events, etc. It's amazing and I feel spoiled - I feel secure with my job - enough snacks to get by without grocery shopping ;)

Cons

- fast paced and always learning new technologies if that's not what you're into (product company would have less of this) - Sometimes you do feel under pressure to work after hours. It's hard to gauge whether it's evened out or not (some days are more lax than others), this is the process of bringing multiple projects to production throughout the year - remote work is not something that happens (aside from covid)

5. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time

Pros

Despite the current situation, the company has continued to grow a lot. They just announced that we have hired 100 new people so far this year. I feel lucky to be working at a place like this while hearing about all of the layoffs. We work with a lot of big cool companies which is great, our work has a lot of impact. The company has remote socials and events to keep the team engaged during Covid! This is a group of the nicest and smartest people that I have met under one roof. I think this place has a bright future.

Cons

Project crunch time can be tough and hard work but there are also times when things are slow as you wait on clients, etc. I think this is just the nature of being in tech.

Continue reading

"Learning with good people"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've had a great experience so far. When I started I was pretty new out of school and Konrad set me up with a senior developer who helped show me the ropes. I've learned a lot over the past year and I've gotten to work with some people who have become my friends. I've had the chance to work on monolithic builds and learn some new technologies along the way. There are all of the standard tech company perks (stocked kitchen, video games, ping pong, and beer taps etc.) that a lot of other places in Toronto have but the people are what this place awesome. The people that perform are the ones who get promoted and become leaders, not sure what the other reviews are about on here. There are some decent benefits like RRSP matching and device plans. I've had some good chats with the HR director when I needed them and she was very helpful. There is an office full of people that are there to help the employees when they need it.

Cons

Like some of the other reviews on here say, there can be tight deadlines that need to be met. It's not always the case but when it's crunch time, it's crunch time. The benefits are pretty good but they aren't mind-blowing, there's some room for improvement with things like work from home policy which some other companies offer.

Continue reading
  7. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Experience Designer

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

As everyone here has agreed, KG hires some of the smartest people in the industry. The work is amazing, people are very nice, perks and culture is really great Someone here said there is no HR, not true. The company continues to add benefits and has been growing a lot. I think it's amazing to be a part of this!

Cons

It can be hard work some times but it is rewarding and I have learned a lot.

"Kids leading kids. Great culture, poor long-term personal growth."

2.0
    Former Employee - Experience Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Konrad Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great place to learn the fundamentals. If you need a footing right out of school, you have access to really talented people to work on projects with. It's hard to get through the design test, and those who do get through, are worth their weight in gold. I learned a lot when I was given opportunities to do so. - Culture can be really great if you make friends. There's socials, events, an active Slack group, and universal lunch time so you're forced to sit with people. - Everyone is friendly. Everyone. - Fully stocked kitchen, free catering every Friday.

Cons

Kids leading kids. This leads to a lack of new knowledge or managers without experience. Ultimately, the kids they hire become the kids that lead. Many of your seniors or managers started their first job at KG. Mentorship and training is weak. Everyone is "figuring it out together". This is charming but is also a safety net of an answer when something doesn't work. This can be resolved by improving your own resources to hiring competent seniors within departments, with new knowledge to bring to the company. - No clear structure in career advancement. No education budgets available. No clear idea on how to advance into senior roles (usually just on the whim of the managers and your impressions on upper management). This is due to the inexperienced nature of the company. This can be resolved by hiring a proper HR department to help each department outline clear means of evolving their employees, instead of letting each department/team figure it out themselves. - No work from home, unpaid lunch, 9-5:30. If you can't handle 40hr/wk of being constantly surrounded by loud people, talking, or even the low-lit basement-like Dev area, then too bad cause that's the only place you're allowed to do work in. This can be resolved by reaching out to companies with successful social environments that implement WFH policies, and learning to understand how it works. - You are a resource and upper management will never recognize your efforts. Direct management is great and will try their best to help you grow but their hands are also tied. Prepare for the chance to be stuck on work you never signed up for because upper management planned poorly. Also be prepared to never be acknowledged by upper management. This can be resolved by having empathy. - Favoritism in projects. You have to network your way onto worthwhile projects within the company. These worthwhile projects are important because that's the only opportunity you have to learn. This can be resolved by trusting the employees you hire.

Continue reading
  9. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time

Pros

I’ve worked at KG almost 2 years and can honestly say that I’ve never worked with smarter or more dedicated people. If you want the opportunity to learn and grow, KG this is the place to be. There is a company culture of hard work and camaraderie that I have not seen or heard of in many places and should not be underestimated. The ‘culture’ is constantly evolving and growing to suit the ever changing needs of the work environment. Sure, there’s snacks and kegs and socials and parties and team retreats and special events but those things are not that important at the end of the day. What’s important to me personally is knowing the the company and your colleagues have your back and want to support your growth personally and professionally, and I’ve experienced this first hand. I’m not sure where the reviews that the company doesn’t care about the employees comes from as it’s quite the opposite in my mind. That said, if you’re not driven and are happy with mediocrity, or you feel you’re too good to start at the bottom and work your way up then this is not the place for you. Everybody gets a chance to prove themselves, internal promotions are common and hard work is rewarded, no matter who you are. On top of that, KG has a beautiful office, has good benefits, a great parental leave policy, an RRSP matching program and clearly supports community and new families (judging by the amount of babies that visit the office!).

Cons

No company is perfect and yes there are things that can be improved on but I think KG is getting there with really great intentions to always be better!

"Run, just run."

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Konrad Group full-time

Pros

Anything that is remotely okay here can be found elsewhere without all the b.s.

Cons

So many. Read the other reviews. The negative ones are accurate, and the positive themes are accurate too. Be mindful of the many reviews written by management.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 74 English Reviews