Kobie Marketing Employee Reviews about "no one"

Updated Feb 8, 2020

2.9
Kobie Marketing CEO Bram Hechtkopf
Bram Hechtkopf
Pros
Cons
  • "Some disconnection between departments and some transitional "growing pains"(in 9 reviews)

• "We had to do a virtual training because no one at the location I am in knew anything about the campaign that we were going to be taking calls for(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "no one"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Lots of in between time"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kobie Marketing for less than a year

Pros

The only thing that I would say I like about this job is that you have ALOT of time in between calls. You work with different campaigns and help people redeem rewards. The customer accumulate a certain amount of points and redeem the point for cash back, gift cards, merchandise, etc. I only work with one campaign and maybe thats why it is extremely slow for me. Most people have a list 2 campaigns but they are still really slow. I was hired through a temp agency Ranstad, which is I believe the only way you can get hired.

Cons

We had to do a virtual training because no one at the location I am in knew anything about the campaign that we were going to be taking calls for. There was no one in the room and we had to listen to a lady talking through the phone which can be a difficult learning experience. It took two weeks for the company to have our badges made. They have a point system so you get 20 points for the whole year. All of their systems run really slow. I have to log out of my computer at least 3 times a day, and have had to have my headset changed out twice already. Managers here are can be messy and will watch your every move like you are a kid.

Continue reading

"Good place to coast if you don’t have goals"

2.0

I worked at Kobie Marketing

Pros

If you have no experience or business making decisions (because you either have no idea how to ask what to do without exposing how little you know, or you’re an arrogant jerk who’s not going to listen to anyone anyway), welcome to the fastest track of your skyrocketing, shiny new career. Very nice views of the outside from the 10th floor.

Cons

If you’re a professional with any knowledge of the outside world, welcome to career purgatory; a bizarre bubble in which you will be belittled by the same people who take credit for your ideas openly and without reproach. Lack of respect for each other and the infighting, backstabbing and manipulation that goes with it may be the downfall of this organization. Unfortunately no one has the authority to address culture, trust, strategy, talent and turnover, communication or accountability issues in a meaningful way, though various groups of committees gather sometimes on the 10th floor to stare out the windows at the very nice views.

January 25, 2019Kobie Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. Your experience at Kobie is far from the culture that we’ve worked hard to cultivate and what we want for our teammates. We take great pride in the environment that we’re creating at Kobie and our recent teammate engagement survey results verify the positive strides we’re making. Two of our highest rated areas of focus were culture and trust, where 87% feel their direct leader is approachable, 83% of respondents feel they are personally held accountable for meeting expectations and goals, and 70% are proud to be part of the Kobie team. As with all good organizations, we recognize that there’s still room for improvement but we’re committed to providing our teammates a great experience throughout their time at Kobie. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. Keith Harris Chief Human Resources Officer

"Potential Employees and Clients Beware"

I worked at Kobie Marketing full-time

Pros

The location is the only positive for this company....if that's all you want then go for it.

Cons

This company never fails to amaze me at the level of nonsensical decisions that they make. For the few years I was there I continually saw opportunities where it felt like leadership (I'll address leadership issues further down) had a great opportunity to LISTEN to and UNDERSTAND the concerns employees had...not to mention the clients. Continually over 2 years they made promises to their employees about listening to their issues and wanting to make it better. However, nothing ever really changed....unless you ask the leadership...they think they've implemented all kinds of changes to make it better. I'm sorry but the issues at Kobie run deeper then what Fresh Fruit, Chair massages, and unlimited PTO can fix. Kobie has a true identity issue. Kobie can't decide what they want to be, and focus the RIGHT resources toward it. Are you a marketing/CX company, are you a consulting company, or are you a technology company (that tries to pass off a bubble gum and paper software as a product) ? Clearly with the recent appointment of the new president you're deciding on putting your eggs in the Marketing/CX side. GOOD, that's probably the one thing you can do well. I can't think of one technology software company that would hire her as a president, unless they plan on NOT being a technology company any more....??? The leadership you've had leading "tech" is a joke, but when you are an interim president or a new president and don't know any better and you listen to your leaders status reports...the world is full of rainbows and unicorns and we're delivering everything and everything is future proof technology that doesn't incur years of technical debt.... If you're still focusing on trying to build a REAL product, based on the MANY chiefs/VP's/Sr. Directors/Directors that you continue to hire and promote, you'll never ever really get there. It's time someone with some real GUTS stands up and calls you out on the lack luster of a software you are trying to sell. Hiring more leaders, who run around the first 6 months of their tenure promising all this change, but eventually realize the crazy circus they've just signed up for, and nothing gets changed, isn't the answer. In the end, the good ole boy network wins and the same crazy decisions keep being made. The majority of the truly talented people do not last at Kobie. They can't deal with the dictatorship of IT/Product and can't make true change happen that would benefit the greater company. Kobie doesn't really care for and want you to be talented to work there. It's quite obvious if you really start looking. ...If you don't deliver -- you get promoted...A LOT. If you don't know how to manage a project --- you get promoted. If you have never managed or worked in technology before --- you'll do great as a technical manager/director. Long story short - they have no clear reason for promotions, yet give them out like presents to a very select few...meanwhile those that truly are deserving based on delivery and value provided are overlooked. It has become a group of incompetent leaders positioning to build a bigger empire of employees. To any potential job applicant. Do yourself and your career a favor and look elsewhere. They will sell you on all these lies about the company...it's their job to do that. I watched many well qualified people quit before their first 90 days because they were oversold on what was going on. There were even a few that didn't last more than 2-3 days before they turned in their badge. You will be doing yourself and a career a disservice working here, which when you do decide to leave, will make it harder to really find someone who will hire you. The average tenure there is so low...not because they hire a lot...because no one wants to stay!! To any potential new client. I hope you're ready for a circus show that leaves you off schedule, over budget, and lacking functionality. Kobie's "product" they show you is either HTML that has been created for your purpose, a test system that isn't even close to the production system build, or functionality that hasn't been tested and isn't used by any other client. I'm truly surprised that Forester actually considers them.... A true enterprise level solution is NOT built like they build and that's why it takes TEAMS to support clients. It's not enterprise ready, so beware!!

July 10, 2017Kobie Marketing

Thank you for your review about your personal experience at Kobie. With a combined 40+ years in the enterprise technology and loyalty space, we understand the complexity of running a successful platform, building a collaborative environment, training and developing employees, and taking strides to better individual career paths. We appreciate your insight - our company culture is something we are working hard to make more visible and is a vital role in building a successful team. Kobie takes pride in recognizing and rewarding employees and strives to ensure our team members feel empowered to reach their goals. We continually look to improve all levels of experience at Kobie and are determined to cultivate a positive workplace. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors. - Joe Disharoon, Vice President of Implementations and Projects & Rick Stephenson, Vice President of Technology

"Incompetent Management, Lack of Process and Lack of Accountability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Kobie Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location, shops and restaurants in walking distance. Nice office space. Good health Care, especially if you have kids.

Cons

Outwardly, the company seems to be doing great: big-name clients, expanding services, explosive growth. Appearances are rarely what they seem. Here are a few facts about the current state of the company: 1. Employees leaving in droves. 2. Fragile and defect-riddled technology. 3. A growing number of frustrated clients who are beginning to lose trust in the company. 4. Employee frustration is extremely high, while confidence in management is extremely low. There are 3 major issues: Incompetent Management, Lack of Process and Lack of Accountability. - Incompetent Management The CEO seems like a person who genuinely cares about the situation. That being said, he completely lacks the skills and experience to lead a complex technology company that is deeply in trouble. Does not have the experience or ability to establish meaningful measurements for the state of the company and instead has to blindly rely on his executives and management team. It is not clear if the person in charge of IT is a CIO, CTO, COO or some kind of hapless and hopeless attempt to be all three at once. Focuses on cultivating an image of a visionary leader instead of actually charting a sensible and workable path forward. This person has consistently gotten people to believe their concerns and frustrations are heard and are being addressed while just talking in circles. The person in charge of all Client Relationships knows little to nothing about the company’s technology, products or actual capabilities. Under her leadership it is perfectly acceptable for account directors and account managers to have no real grasp of what it actually takes to deliver on technology-driven engagements, leading to a culture of just saying “Yes” to anything the client asks for and then passing on the responsibility of getting it done to others. This has led to extreme frustration on the side of the people who are forced to cut corners and rush the work just to meet a deadline and frustrated clients who begin to feel like they have either engaged with an incompetent company or just been lied to. There is no one currently in charge of day to day operations and there don’t seem to be any plans to fill the position in the near future. This has led to projects that are poorly planned, late, over budget and causes extreme frustration to clients and those of us who actually have to deliver on wild and unrealistic promises made to clients by executives, project managers and accounts managers. One of the few positives is that the person responsible for creative is no longer with the company. This person was loathed by the vast majority of his own employees as well as the vast majority of employees at the company. If his replacement is anything similar, this department will continue to experience the massive turnover it has been experiencing over the last 3 years. The person in charge of BD is highly disconnected from the functional groups of the company. He is extremely capable at bringing in new business which the company cannot consistently or reliably deliver on. Lack of process: (just a few examples) There is no career path defined for any role at the company. Mid-Year and Year-End reviews are a complete joke: every department performs reviews as it sees fit, with no actual path laid out for career progression. Coding standards either don’t exist or are ignored. Peer review is optional. Unit testing is rare. And worst of all, there is little to no coordination between teams making changes to shared code bases on the fly. Documentation standards are rare and QA is an afterthought at best. The working environment is constantly in chaos, leading to employees having to work late nights and weekends time after time. Lack of accountability: (just a few examples) Major failures in performance are not addressed – no one is held accountable for major failures in delivery or technology. Executives are not held to any clear standards or measurements. Low performing employees are protected from any type of real review or performance improvement. They remain stuck in a role they are not qualified for, leading to slower delivery, constant re-work and never ending aggravation to coworkers who have to carry the dead weight.

"Stay far, far away"

I worked at Kobie Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

As many of the other reviews have stated, the biggest pro is the office design/layout and location. Casual dress. Some people paid at market or slightly above market - personally, I was happy with my compensation assuming a 40-45 hour work week. Many of the people I worked with were friendly and smart. To me this is basically the bare bones - you can find any of these pros at many other companies in the Tampa Bay area (the only exception perhaps being the location - which is hard to beat).

Cons

I've worked at many companies, some pretty good, some fairly average. None of them have prompted me to want to write a review on Glassdoor. I feel like I have to write this to steer other professionals clear from making a massive career mistake. First off, the benefits package: The PTO is extremely low (though they allow you to take a week off unpaid), the 401k match is the worst I've seen - even when more and more companies are tightening their match they aren't capping it at a specific dollar amount like Kobie does. The health benefits are in line with what I would expect, and the company subsidy is actually pretty good. Now, on to the meat and potatoes. The total and utter chaos that is Kobie. There are no processes. No code review process defined, no BASIC development guidelines or best practices defined, source control is totally optional, and many teams are not using it. There are no change management or release administration processes or even people in place pretending to do either of them. There is some vague hat tip to QA, however, the lack of process means it takes weeks or months for code to be ready to test for a specific issue again if it fails QA, so it generally just gets released out into the wild as is. All of this, combined with amateur project management, is what causes the 80-90 work weeks and people sleeping under their desks. It is also why the best people leave Kobie so fast. You are expected to put Kobie first, period. They pay lip service to work/life balance, but no one here knows what it really is. If you take a job here, forget about anything you care about outside of work. Due to the lack of process and having no roadmap, they will just work you tirelessly on polishing the turd.

July 20, 2016CEO

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is important to us as we continue to examine different areas to improve. Our vacation policy is comparable to other organizations of our size, and we are doing some competitive research on ways to improve our vacation and benefits package in general. While most companies require a waiting period before you can use your time off, Kobie allows you to begin using vacation time immediately. Promotions to director or above levels increase your vacation time as well does your tenure with Kobie. Each year we review our 401k plan to improve and enhance the benefit. This year we changed enrollment from a six month waiting period to immediately upon hire. As a result, we have seen a 21% increase in new enrollments. We recognize that our re-org has taken longer to roll out and transition than anticipated, and a well thought out plan to move that many staff takes time to do it right. We have been deliberate in allowing many of our team members to be part of the solution through steering committees. There are zero team member layoffs that are a result of the re-org, and in fact, we will be hiring many more talented employees to help us solidify the foundation for future growth. We are stepping up the pace in order to transition staff as soon as it is possible, while not creating a knowledge void for the teams or lack of support to our clients. The senior leadership team is engaged in solving for change and improvement. We continue to move forward in an effort to support the hard work of our Kobie’s team members. I’d welcome the opportunity to have a conversation so please email me bram.hechtkopf@kobie.com.

"How can it get so bad, so fast..."

Current Employee - Programmer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is now a machine in the cafe where I can hit a button as many times a day as I like to let management know how extremely unhappy I am. Funny that they need a machine to tell them this, that they paid money for. We have been telling them this for free for months, but no one listens.

Cons

No fun working with an office full of very unhappy, very over worked and very unappreciated employees. There are a small number of people here who do the vast majority of the work on a daily / nightly / weekend basis, and a bunch of people that seem to do nothing at all. We have managers to manage managers and no one seems to manage anything. All of the people here who seem to know what they are doing and actually work hard at what they do, are given way more work than they can handle and given completely unrealistic deadlines. We are not given the time to write clean code, QA is not given time to effectively test our code, so error ridden code gets delivered into our clients. Then they want to blame us for the mistakes and expect us to work twenty four hours a day to try to fix both the code and the data, not to mention keeping up with our other ongoing implementation, project and adhoc work. We do not have enough time to effectively support the clients that are already live and we are expected to work on projects for new clients. The CIO allows client services to manage us, "his" development resources, and you can only imagine the issues that creates. To much work, not enough time, constant context switching between projects, no one seems to care. Quality comes last here, or in most cases is not even a factor that is considered. Good employees run for the door soon after they start. We are also starting to lose some of the old timers. We have a lot of openings, but the hiring process seems to take forever - seems to just be a way to make the rest of us work 80 hours a week a little longer for nothing. Executive management just does not seem to care.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews