Kensington Tours Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Kensington Tours Reviews

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.4
Pros
  • "Yearly FAM trips (if you are meeting performance requirements, of course)(in 10 reviews)

• "Flexibility to work from home after certain tenure(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Resourcing is limited relative to the growth of the business so work life balance can be a bit of a challenge(in 10 reviews)

• "No one gets promoted or moves up the ranks(in 8 reviews)

"Best in tourism"

Current Employee - Destination Expert

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing commission Selling the best most luxury products Run your own business - no micromanaging Free trips Best coworkers If you want to work in travel and sales then this is the top of the top

Cons

Have to be prepared to work hard It’s sales so not everyone is cut out for it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure marketing is doing their job so leads stay consistent with the amount of hires and everyone will be happy.

Kensington Tours2019-10-04

"A Bad Time to Join"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Employees are unique, talented individuals - Casual work environment - Work from home perks - FAM trips once a year - Occasional free lunches, drinks

Cons

- Employees are hired for their talents and unique personalities but are not given opportunities to showcase those abilities - "Expert" is a vague term now. Some people sell regions they've never visited to meet their sales targets - The commission scale is sliding despite the company constantly bragging about growth. We don't see that money in our pockets. In fact, we see much less than we used to - Everyone in leadership seems to either be an olympic Kool-Aid drinker or is totally fatigued and fed up with their role. There is no balance - The company's desire for growth directly counters their identity as a custom, luxury travel company. The clients no longer get their money's worth - The sales team is constantly blamed/under scrutiny when numbers fluctuate, despite the company toying with their mark-up and marketing to many people who are unaware of/unable to afford Kensington Tours' mission and associated pricing

Advice to Management

Remember your roots. Don't try and be a 250-person call centre and a custom luxury agency. Your employees are unhappy but unmoving in hopes that things will get better. Don't betray their trust.

Kensington Tours2019-12-02

"not for intermediate, senior creatives"

Former Employee - Copywriter

I worked at Kensington Tours full-time

Pros

The employees (outside of leadership) are good, talented, and strong people who really want to contribute to the business, and are motivated to create good work. In theory, the brand/business itself would be exciting to work for, and contribute to, if leadership had a vision and goals for the brand, and subsequently their staff.

Cons

There is no opportunity here, and if you're senior-level and looking to make contributions to the brand and the business, it won't happen here. My role was positioned as a senior role, one where I would be providing a POV on content + copy for the marketing department, and one where I had autonomy and opportunity to be a decision-maker and lead the strategy of copy moving forward - it never happened. Every project I was assigned was either killed, or farmed out to a third-party agency. Every line of copy I wrote was rewritten. I never wrote anything that didn’t go through a considerable, unnecessary number of people – all from varying departments outside of marketing - for review/changes/iterations, and every person who reviewed my work rewrote the copy to the point I just began executing everyone else’s copy demands and ideas. Nothing I wrote actually “stuck” or got approved – and that was the circle. My workload was junior, and I went days and weeks where I had nothing to do or contribute: I’d write a couple of lines of copy for digital or social, but there was no actual business plan for how we were going to move forward in the marketing department: There was no campaigns, no original copy projects, no channels: all print, OOH, and television initiatives (et al) were assigned to third-party agencies, not in-house. A copywriter is meant to contribute to multiple aspects of the company's marketing mix, but that was the issue - there is no marketing mix. There was no marketing business plan - from the CMO or anyone in a leadership position - and when the department creatives would ask leadership for some perspective on what we were doing, or where we were going, they couldn't answer it. They didn't know themselves. The leadership micro-manages to the point any existing projects never fully get off the ground because they can't find unison in their decisions, so no decisions are ultimately made. Every deadline the department was assigned was missed - and that was standard practise. We never met a deadline because they were so loose to begin with. Projects just evaporated. We never fully realized a number of project initiatives; they just disappeared into the ether. There is no leadership: In my time, a number of leaders were either demoted or fired, and there was no replacement. The creative department never had a CD, so we lacked structure and vision, and ultimately any sense of support or mentorship. The department doesn’t have anyone to advocate for the work, nor provide a strategy on where the department should go. Leadership is, at times, shockingly candid about how dysfunctional and lackadaisical the business is, to the point you wonder why you were hired in such an environment to begin with, and because of that, the level of gossip in the department is overwhelming and it lacks considerable professionalism and decorum. You won’t be promoted: There is no opportunity for growth, despite how much they may promise you in your interview. No one gets promoted or moves up the ranks. If you’re a junior, you won’t move up; if you’re a senior, you won’t have a future. Because there are no meaty projects or campaigns to work on, you have nothing to contribute to your portfolio. It's not an environment that will boost your career or make you a stronger creative; it has the reverse affect. It got to the point where I was too concerned about jeopardizing my skills and my future career potential if I stayed.

Advice to Management

Professionalism: Staff doesn't need to hear from leadership on a loop about how bad the business is and how disastrous the marketing department is. Leadership throws other leadership under the bus, so it makes for a really confusing, awkward and demotivating environment. Leaders are meant to lead and inspire their staff and give their staff opportunities to create good work. If they're telling you the department and the business is a disaster, how is staff motivated to want to contribute? Stop micro managing: If you're hiring people to run certain aspects of the department or contribute in a certain way, let them do their jobs. Let them do what you hired them to do. Don't take work away from them, and don't dismiss their POV or contributions. Let them do what they were assigned to do. Stop farming out the dynamic, bigger projects to third-parties. If you have a marketing department, let them manage the marketing projects. Farming out to outside agencies crushes morale. Have a clear business strategy: If there is no vision for the future of the brand/business, then there is no opportunity. Decisions need to be made objectively, not emotionally.

Kensington Tours2019-10-30
  4. "Good work experience - uncertain future"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time

Pros

fun workplace environment, great coworkers, independence within your role, good commission potential, work from home, yearly travel

Cons

terrible marketing and identity confusion, hiring too many people too quickly and the company is losing sight of their model, competition for sales and commission earnings decreasing over time. Not much room for growth. Lack of leadership where it is needed.

Advice to Management

Decide between a call centre, budget tour environment or a custom, boutique, luxury market and focus on that. Then market accurately. You can't be both.

Kensington Tours2019-08-24

"Some perks- but on a serious decline"

Current Employee - DESTINATION SPECIALIST in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

great employees, FAM trips , potential for good commission ( but seems to be declining)

Cons

serious lack of communication across all levels of mgmt, unclear policies, fiscal punishment for agents, poor management, unclear expectations. Heavy work load, seriously declining employee morale , declining benefits, untrustworthy management .

Advice to Management

In a serious decline and becoming a very overpriced, generic tour operator with an increasingly unhappy and frustrated sales and management team and getting worse . Go back to your roots and be the amazing company your sales agents can lead you to be. AND FIGURE OUT BASIC COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES

Kensington Tours2019-08-31
  6. "It’s Alright"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great socials, money can be made if you hit your targets and fams once you hit your target

Cons

Management doesn’t really know what’s happening, commission structure is awful.

Kensington Tours2019-08-31

"Lack of Direction"

Current Employee - Destination Expert

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office culture with a supportive group of colleagues all working at the same level. Good entry level job to gain sales experience or travel industry experience.

Cons

Management is not that supportive and people often don't feel like they're not making a contribution. A Destination Expert's main focus is to sell but they also have a lot of other tasks that take away from that ability. This makes it hard to hit targets and therefore compensation can fluctuate.

Kensington Tours2019-08-22

"Dont waste your time here"

Former Employee - Destination Expert

I worked at Kensington Tours full-time

Pros

You get to go on a Fam trip

Cons

Awful management, not enough leads to go around. Waste of time

Advice to Management

Nothing to write here as they do not listen to advice.

Kensington Tours2019-09-12

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, office, work from home, good vacation

Cons

The fiscal targets are high

Kensington Tours2019-07-09

"Great career opportunity in travel"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kensington Tours has the best systems in the industry enabling the Destination Experts to create fully customized trips. The company has improved its training program and ongoing support. While its a fun and colaberative enviornment its a performance based culture. If you work hard and perform well there are many opportunities to grow your career. The DE role offers good commission payouts. Lots of fun events and the lots of opportunity to give back to the community.

Cons

The environment is fast paced and the workload is heavy. The company has hired a lot of new DE's in the past year but they have greatly improved their recruitment and selection process resulting in better calibre candidates.

Advice to Management

Please continue to add additional resources to better support the DE's and Sales Directors. I look forward to seeing what the marketing department has been working on to support our growth.

Kensington Tours2019-06-15