Kensington Tours Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Kensington Tours Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2019

Found 65 reviews

3.6
Pros
  • "Yearly FAM trips (if you are meeting performance requirements, of course)(in 8 reviews)

• "Smart team, doing innovative work in the luxury travel industry(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Resourcing is limited relative to the growth of the business so work life balance can be a bit of a challenge(in 10 reviews)

• "They keep hiring people so no one is making good commission anymore nor gets enough leads(in 7 reviews)

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, office, work from home, good vacation

Cons

The fiscal targets are high

Kensington Tours2019-07-09

"Great career opportunity in travel"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kensington Tours has the best systems in the industry enabling the Destination Experts to create fully customized trips. The company has improved its training program and ongoing support. While its a fun and colaberative enviornment its a performance based culture. If you work hard and perform well there are many opportunities to grow your career. The DE role offers good commission payouts. Lots of fun events and the...

Cons

The environment is fast paced and the workload is heavy. The company has hired a lot of new DE's in the past year but they have greatly improved their recruitment and selection process resulting in better calibre candidates.

Advice to Management

Please continue to add additional resources to better support the DE's and Sales Directors. I look forward to seeing what the marketing department has been working on to support our growth.

Kensington Tours2019-06-15
    • "Kensington is the leader in custom, private guided tours."

Current Employee - Destination in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time

Pros

Amazing technology and a great product lineup. Even though the company is relatively young it has become a leader in the sector. The growth in impressive.

Cons

The company does not have well developed structure or processes.

Advice to Management

While the company is very focused on growth, it continues to hire and add to the product, support, customer service, strategy and procurement areas. We are poised to continue our amazing growth.

Kensington Tours2019-06-09
    • "What a joke of a company"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Kensington Tours full-time for less than a year

Pros

I mean, it must have improved since it couldn’t get worse.

Cons

They hire on loop and then fire on loop! The company is a joke! Charging x50 for trips and paying less than enough to survive in Toronto. Go find a company that values their staff and invests in them.

Advice to Management

Declare bankruptcy.

Kensington Tours2019-07-09

"Entrepreneurial and Quick Moving"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a very fast paced environment that rewards dedicated, hardworking staff. The communication from management to the staff has significantly improved while I have worked here. The company has always reinvesting back into the business adding new headcount and resources. The systems are incredible and enables us to create amazing itineraries for our customers.

Cons

You have to be willing to roll up your sleeves. Even with the additional resources everyone is working very hard and stretched to their maximum capacity.

Advice to Management

I believe in our product. We offer an industry leading portfolio of options to our guests and have the ability to create vacations that meet or exceed their expectations. With the continued investment in new product and systems, while focusing on elevating the customer experience, I believe we are poised for rapid growth.

Kensington Tours2019-05-23
    • "Don't Be Fooled, KT Puts Profit Before People"

Current Employee - Destination Expert in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Benefits package is fairly good (although travel insurance is not included and you must pay a mandatory long term disability fee which the company keeps.) -Some interesting and fun colleagues. -Free work trip based on results

Cons

-The company puts profits before their people. Sales staff are financially penalized on every booking regardless of accountability. The sales staff commission is docked for every complaint or error even if the sales team did everything right. - No one seems to have any idea what's going on. There are no consistent processes and employees wander blindly through issues, unsupported by management. -Sales directors are...

Advice to Management

Always put your people first. Sales staff who work for commission should only be financially penalized if they make a mistake. Taking commission away for any other reason is robbery. A focus should be made on increasing conversion instead of pumping out first quotes. Throwing darts at a board is not a way to succeed, you are burning the majority of leads you pay to acquire.

Kensington Tours2019-06-13

"Positive work culture, accountable leadership"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Definitely one of the most positive work cultures I've encountered, steered at the very top with upper management's open-door policy and transparency -General sales perks as previously stated (uncapped commission + base higher in comparison to industry standard+ FAMS + fiscal target bonuses) -Comprehensive benefit coverage -Location! -Flexibility to work from home after certain tenure

Cons

Usual growing pains with company expansion, particularly in push to hire quantity over quality re: DEs/sales. Leads, quality leads, are a current issue. Limited resources in non-sales departments creating bottlenecks in workflow with trickle-down effects.

Advice to Management

While there is certainly valid and insightful critiques on this site, there are a LOT of baseless untruths here, reading as spoiled tantrums which provide a completely inaccurate indication of what's actually happening on the floor. Don't get sidelined by them. Remain transparent and accountable with initiatives (even when things go awry), continue to invite feedback from the floor (and IMPLEMENT it) to steer decisions,...

Kensington Tours2019-04-24

"Fantastic people working through growing pains"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time

Pros

Company growth is substantial and consistent Company genuinely is invested in delivering great experiences to clients An open to listen from leadership on improvements Smart, hardworking people with a sense of teamwork

Cons

Resourcing is limited relative to the growth of the business so work life balance can be a bit of a challenge Fast pace of growth has allowed for lack of or faults in foundational processes and at times lack of role clarity

Advice to Management

Spend time focusing on quality vs. quantity of work and product Develop more processes to ensure consistency in how business is conducted Improve leadership development

Kensington Tours2019-04-26
    • "Work Really Hard to Get Rewarded"

I have been working at Kensington Tours full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uncapped Salary, Good health benefits, Free trip based hitting sales targets

Cons

Middle management team is fairly new and really seem to be trying to mark their territories. Unsatisfied sales team making for a lot of negative talk around the office. Management ignores and denies unfair action among team (leads being stolen, taken after hours).

Advice to Management

Get your finger on the pulse. Make people, including yourselves accountable.

Kensington Tours2019-03-26
    • "worst of the worst"

Former Employee - Destination Expert in Toronto, ON

I worked at Kensington Tours full-time for less than a year

Pros

decent benefits paid in full by company

Cons

-favoritism, dishonesty, bullying and manipulation are normal everyday occurrences. -toxic environment. Everyone hates their job and the vibe in the office shows this. -far to many levels of management and middle management in particular are beyond useless. They have no idea how to manage people and are pretty much just paper pushers and bullies. -if you work in sales you need to be comfortable with lying to clients,...

Advice to Management

Stop the bullying and manipulation. Stop the mass hiring and firing. Treat your staff with a little bit of respect. Be innovative and come up with new product. Cut your mark up down by at least 20%.

Kensington Tours2019-03-29