Keirton Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.4
Keirton CEO Jay Evans (no image)
Jay Evans
  1. "Structured & Positive"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

The energy throughout the building & company makes you want to come into work. The encouragement to strive to be better is so motivating & the tools you need to be better are available whenever requested.

Cons

The interview process is quite lengthy and thorough compared to other interviews I've had in the past. By the end of the process, I felt mentally & physically drained.

2. "It's the Culture for me"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

Keirton's culture is by far the best, the people here are so amazing! Everyone brings their own unique skillsets to the table. Keeping in mind Keirton does have quite a thorough hiring process but for good reason. They truly are looking for the best, people who can grow with the company and not just a resume. Opportunities are given here it's just a matter of what you want to do with it and if you are unsure that's okay too they want to help you set yourself up for success. There is always someone you can talk to whether that be a co-worker, manager or even the CEO. If you don't voice what you need you can't expect them to read your mind at all times so don't be afraid to speak up!

Cons

The company is forever growing with that comes a lot of change. Keirton has it's ups and down's and that's normal with any growing company. You yourself need to come in with the never, ever, ever give up attitude. Your mental capacity will be challenged and pushed and for some this will be a deal breaker.

Continue reading

3. "Lovely People That Care - But Expect Consistent Overtime"

Current Employee - General

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

- The people: there's a reason hiring selection is picky - The fun perks: Occasional Friday Beer Socials, team events like axe-throwing, go-karting, ziplining (to name just a few) and opportunities for bonuses - Training: course taking and career development are highly encouraged - The CEO: present and will check in on employee's mental health

Cons

- Overtime, overtime, overtime. Leadership team acknowledges people's capacity but companywide some have a tough work/life balance - Growing pains (company is growing FAST all across the board) - Parking at both offices minimal- be prepared!

4. COVID-19

"Not for me"

1.0
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Surrey, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Keirton full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People are nice - Room to grow

Cons

I was only here for 3 months and I resigned by myself, I think I might have been a bit burnt out at the end. If you haven't worked in the cannabis industry before, it might be a bit of a difficult adjustment. I resigned due to a combination of things. I have never resigned from a position before because I've seen potential in the roles that I've applied for, but this one was just not for me. - Interviewing process took 3 months + a video editing test - Overtime is expected and encouraged by management. Something that worried me was hearing from co-workers that they can't sleep at night because all they think about is work and they can't get a break. I've had bad cases of burning out before due to a high work ethic, I wanted to take a step back and not let that happen again. The company posts mental health facebook workplace posts, but there's a difference in saying something and leading by example. People in management usually say they'll work on something during the weekend and then you feel like you should be working overtime too. An HR representative told me that "they're used to it because they'd been working there for many years" but that's not healthy or good? People have lives outside of work too. - Company structure a bit of a mess, file organization is non-existent, it's everywhere and not in one place. They use so many different platforms it's difficult to find information or documents that are properly updated. - Brand is inconsistent - They use an "EOS" system, which makes you set goals for 90 days. At first, it makes sense because it seems structured, but they don't tell you that in-between the "rocks" (goals) you will be working on millions of other projects - which can be very stressful and lead to less time being creative in the role or actually giving you time to finish the projects themselves. If you finish all your goals within the quarter, I believe there is a monetary bonus to this, but it feels a bit difficult being able to finish all of them. Sometimes you won't be able to finish certain goals because you depend on someone else to hand something in, which delays your own process. - I wish there had been more time appointed for the creative process in certain projects. There are so many projects to do all the time and the expected standard is very high. The pace of the projects is high. - Marketing team gets sent inspiration videos by high profile companies like Nike and Tesla frequently. I understand it's good to get inspiration from higher places, but those are 500 million dollar marketing teams and the team's resources are small here. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders, at least I felt that way. I felt like I was constantly letting myself down all the time because I wasn't reaching that level. A lot of the creative stuff I worked on got shot down frequently and it can get a bit demotivating at times, especially when they're a bit unsure of what they want creatively. The branding direction isn't quite there yet. Help me help you. I feel like I was setting myself up for failure a lot. - The cannabis industry is a bit of a tough adjustment if you've never worked with it before. I had a hard time relating to the industry as a whole. - Working from home is only available during COVID, after that the role will be in-house in Surrey. Wish working from home in the future was an option. I feel bad because most people there are nice and mean well, I don't want to be negative but the role wasn't quite what it was advertised to be. I went in feeling very positive about the role, but the longer I stayed the more I just felt that it wasn't for me.

April 26, 2021People & Culture Leader

Thank you for your feedback. We are sad to see you go, we know how deeply talented you are. We knew the file structure isn't perfect as we were going through a transition in servers. Our team appreciated your drive and never give up attitude but on numerous occasions asked that you not work past office hours to avoid burnout. I only wish we could have solved that with you sooner as we had big dreams and goals that you were an integral part of. Good luck on your future path and keep in touch!

5. "Keirton"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

-Most people are friendly and genuinely willing to help -Good atmosphere -Lots to learn and plenty of room to grow -Everyone pulls their weight

Cons

-Too many hoops to jump through internally -Information is somewhat compartmentalized -Software environment is flimsy -The fast paced environment may be stressful

March 18, 2021People & Culture Leader

Thank you for your feedback! We're currently working across the company to simplify our processes, and we rely on our team to provide input on the areas that need improvement.

6. "Great Culture and People"

Current Employee - Director of Sales, North America in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, all team members have passion for what they do, and the market is fun and exciting to work in.

Cons

The interview process is quite thorough. The idea is to make sure the company is finding the best fit, but it does impact the amount of time and activity between the first interview and final decision.

March 18, 2021People & Culture Leader

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our interviewing process is indeed very thorough and all the team members involved in the hiring process are ensuring that our new colleagues are a great fit for our company and are able to succeed in our very fast-paced environment.

"Underpaid & Overworked"

1.0

I worked at Keirton full-time

Pros

Worked with some great people who i would class as friends. CEO has a good vision, but he needs to sort out the conflicts below him.

Cons

Management i worked under has extremely poor attitude towards employees. Higher management expects beyond what you are paid for. 0 communication skill between some management. Some management dont seem to be able to actually deal with managing people. Stupid bonus scheme that makes it impossible to earn what you initially thought. Somewhat disorganized with alot of things. Definitely not a place i enjoyed nor is it somewhere i would consider being able to grow.

Continue reading

"Finally found the BEST workplace I have ever worked at"

Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer

I have been working at Keirton full-time for less than a year

Pros

This review has been long overdue and nothing has changed with my experience with Keirton. I have been an employee of the company for about 8 months and it's been a privilege to be part of not only this growing industry but what I would consider as the BEST company out there competing in this industry. The company values each employee and their personal growth. Throughout my various experiences working for many business owners, Jay hands down is the best CEO I have worked for. A lot of it comes down to his insight, knowledge, belief, transparency and confidence with his employees. What I truly value the most about Keirton is the people that make out what the company is all about. It's very easy to get caught up with day-to-day tasks working at Keirton and you can easily lose time and opportunity to interact with people. To help build a cross-department relationship, the company creates social events such as Beer Fridays, casual outdoor events like Snowboarding, BBQ, Exit Room and etc. It is fun and challenging to work at Keirton... and that's fine! That means the company is doing things right.

Cons

The pain that comes with the path of growing rapidly, it can be difficult at times to not feel stressed and burnt out.

July 7, 2020People & Culture Leader

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for supporting us while we continue to grow.

9. "Great People, great Environment"

Current Employee - Purchaser in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Keirton full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Keirton hiring staff pays close attention to ensure candidates are good fit for the company culture. This results in a very high level of trust, integrity & alignment of all staff in the companies core values. This company doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk; from top to bottom and side-to-side, everyone strives to make this company and work environment the best it can be. I like the flexible hours, the bonuses paid for exceptional results, the improved benefits, and the fun events; not to mention we make very cool products.

Cons

As a positive person, every down-side has it's upside. Keirton does a good job at recognizing what needs to be improved. We are going through the growing pains that every fast moving successful company goes through which is needing to re-vamp the systems that are no longer support sufficient growth, hiring new staff to help keep up with crazy off-the-charts sales, and expanding the physical space to be able to handle the growth. This all takes extra effort, so if you are up to the challenge of a fast-paced environment & improving as you go, the benefits will be there.

Continue reading
  10. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Keirton full-time

Pros

Very forward thinking. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. They really look after their staff. Very organized and willing to promote from within with training and mentorship.

Cons

Didn't like having to lock the gate at the end of the day.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 Reviews