Kabam Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canada - All Cities

4.4
Tim Fields

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great perks like catered lunches and dinners, the wall-o'-snacks, and occasional (although, I suspect, rarer now, company trips" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great benefits, and phenomenal people to work with" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can be touchy - deadlines and expectations can change very quickly" (in 8 reviews)

• "Eliminated the department in SF Bay area and outsourced customer service after we trained our replacements" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An excellent place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Kabam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The studio has many opportunities for growth. Great benefits, and phenomenal people to work with. It’s a great game studio.

Cons

There is sometimes crunch periods where things must absolutely get done. This is not really a bad thing. The pressure isn’t extreme.

"Excellent Company"

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Highly collaborative environment
    - Great compensation packages
    - Leadership team genuinely cares about the staff
    - Passionate staff - they're fans of the games and IP's
    - High quality products

Cons

It's the gaming industry, so crunch times with long hours are a reality, however the company makes a great effort to ensure people are comfortable and fed when these times happen.

3. "Decent, but could improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

- Probably one of the better mobile studios to work at in Vancouver. Competitive salary and decent bonuses. Typical industry perks like free snacks, beer, movie outings, etc.
    - There's room for career growth in most departments. If you want to learn something new, they will help/give you the opportunity and resources to do so.
    - Friendly people and lots of after-work activities
    - Big office with a nice patio, convenient location downtown
    - The studio is full of really passionate and smart people that you can learn a lot from, so take advantage of that.

Cons

- The studio has been growing quickly and there is no longer the level of 'culture' that the company used to have.
    - HR is disorganized and the level of communication has been going downhill lately.
    - The studio relies too heavily on aggressive revenue targets that causes a lot of stress and pressure on teams. Too much reliance on this will only cause layoffs and downsizing in the near future, especially at the rate the company is expanding.
    - Not a lot of transparency with the financial numbers and revenue.
    - Extended health benefits not as good as before
    - Only two weeks paid vacation

Advice to Management

- Paid vacation should be increased to minimum three weeks at least.
    - There should be a very thorough review of managers and leads because there are a number of useless and unqualified people that the company could do without.
    - There needs to be stronger leadership/decision making for certain teams otherwise nothing gets decided.
    - More transparency with company financials and overall goal/direction of the studio. Stop sugarcoating numbers to make everything look great and just tell us the truth.

4. "Senior Artist"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Excellent Work Environment, Flexible Hours

Cons

Management, Teams, Hiring strategy, Goals

5. "Great place to work and grow"

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with this company for close to 5 years now. In that time my role with the company has grown more than I have at previous studios. Kabam does a great job in fostering your career and helping you take the next step.

The culture is also fantastic, the people here make my job easier and fun.

Cons

We've grown very quickly over the last year so there have been a lot of road bumps along the way. Our production didn't scale at the same rate our team did so we run into problems with teams not communicating as much and work being done that leads don't know about.

"Mundane and mildly pro-crunch, but still decent"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, free snacks, and it's a great place to work if you're excited about Marvel. Sometimes they actually convert contract workers to full-time workers.

Cons

Lots of "voluntary" overtime that's only arbitrarily compensated if ever. Extended health benefits don't cover much. Lack of clarity from management on studio direction. Lack of interdepartmental communication. No clear guidance for career growth. Study has built-in beds for long nights.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run the studio like a hip tech startup and start giving your employees solid benefits, fair compensation for time worked, and reasonable workload planning.

Kabam Response

31 Jul, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our priority is to grow our people as we continue to grow the business. Although the industry can be a demanding one, our commitment to our... More

"I love this place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A dedicated and passionate bunch of game makers who seem to have a lot of fun. Startup culture makes it easy to get things done.

Cons

This level of sustained intensity won't be for everyone.

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Amazing culture. Very smart and skilled peers. Definitely moving in the right direction in the quest for global domination! Recognition for achievements is super strong. Company is somewhat cost-conscious and doesn't seem to spend frivolously.

Cons

Not too many. This is a great place to work and all employees in my studio seem very delighted to work here. Only con perhaps is the imbalance of benefits between studios, but it sounds like they're working on that.

Advice to Management

Kabam needs to return focus on making a new team based BCG type game. Marvel Contest of Champions is close, however they should enter the space of Heroes Charge and Brave Frontier with full force. They have the resources and funds to do so.

"It has been a great experience, from the people to the product. My manager is amazing."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company direction, Roles and responsibilities are well defined.
    - Strong leadership
    - Cool products
    - Challenging work

Cons

- MSP coverage MSP coverage (or part) is pretty much done everywhere else. Seems odd we do benefits but not basic healthcare.
    - Transit in Vancouver should be subsidized to promote green.
    - Stock options info is very vague. i.e. what happens if they haven't vested and Kabam goes public. Answers like "Depends" isn't fair for anyone. This should be well defined and have triggers in these situations so there are no surprises
    - Relax rules on side projects so people can learn other things they are interested in without worrying the company will take what they have done.

Advice to Management

MSP & Transit would be really nice. I have stock options but waiting to here what evaluation per stock is. Would be nice to have known sooner - kinda left in the dark.
    Does Kabam do bonuses? if so there is nothing I could find on it...

"A great studio to work at; great people to work with."

Current Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Projects are ambitious and exciting; co-workers are not only talented but friendly and passionate about their work; the studio culture is excellent - it feels like a tight-knit community; the work is challenging and interesting

Cons

Project cycles are short (8 months - 1.5 years), which results in a fair bit of overtime leading into milestones; work/life balance can be difficult to maintain at times

Advice to Management

Nothing to say here; the studio's managed very well