Kabam Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2020

4.1
Kabam Chief Executive Officer Tim Fields (no image)
Tim Fields
Pros
  • "Free lunch, that is usually very delicious(in 31 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance ; only worked overtime a handful of times(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can be touchy - deadlines and expectations can change very quickly(in 8 reviews)

• "Disconnect between teams and upper management(in 6 reviews)

"An excellent place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Kabam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The studio has many opportunities for growth. Great benefits, and phenomenal people to work with. It’s a great game studio.

Cons

There is sometimes crunch periods where things must absolutely get done. This is not really a bad thing. The pressure isn’t extreme.

2. "Overall - A healthy and great atmosphere and team"

Former Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kabam full-time for more than a year

Pros

Feels like the company really takes care of you. People are all very driven and capable of their jobs. Lots of learning opportunities and managers that clearly spend time time caring about their teams and pushing them to improve.

Cons

The leads often have a mismatch of vision and this leads to 'silent disagreement' which in turn leads to, often, a build up of bad decisions, one of which being to revamp production entirely. There is the feeling of needing to navigate political waters with people from different teams. This is beyond the simple professional and courteous presentation and behavior from yourself and more to the point that your feedback can get taken the wrong way. So you need to be thoughtful in your response. Note that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a more general, open and encouraging atmosphere of feedback would go a long ways in helping people in different teams freely give critical feedback to each other.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Game Programmer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Awesome people 2. Beautiful Office

Cons

Big company getting slightly corporate

4. "Good workplace"

Current Employee - Systems Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workplace, dog friendly, great people, no overtime.

Cons

Compensation lagging behind the rest of the city, very light on process

"Decent, but could improve"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

- Probably one of the better mobile studios to work at in Vancouver. Competitive salary and decent bonuses. Typical industry perks like free snacks, beer, movie outings, etc. - There's room for career growth in most departments. If you want to learn something new, they will help/give you the opportunity and resources to do so. - Friendly people and lots of after-work activities - Big office with a nice patio, convenient location downtown - The studio is full of really passionate and smart people that you can learn a lot from, so take advantage of that.

Cons

- The studio has been growing quickly and there is no longer the level of 'culture' that the company used to have. - HR is disorganized and the level of communication has been going downhill lately. - The studio relies too heavily on aggressive revenue targets that causes a lot of stress and pressure on teams. Too much reliance on this will only cause layoffs and downsizing in the near future, especially at the rate the company is expanding. - Not a lot of transparency with the financial numbers and revenue. - Extended health benefits not as good as before - Only two weeks paid vacation

6. "Senior Artist"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive Salary, Excellent Work Environment, Flexible Hours

Cons

Management, Teams, Hiring strategy, Goals

7. "Great place to work and grow"

I have been working at Kabam full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with this company for close to 5 years now. In that time my role with the company has grown more than I have at previous studios. Kabam does a great job in fostering your career and helping you take the next step. The culture is also fantastic, the people here make my job easier and fun.

Cons

We've grown very quickly over the last year so there have been a lot of road bumps along the way. Our production didn't scale at the same rate our team did so we run into problems with teams not communicating as much and work being done that leads don't know about.

"Mundane and mildly pro-crunch, but still decent"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers, free snacks, and it's a great place to work if you're excited about Marvel. Sometimes they actually convert contract workers to full-time workers.

Cons

Lots of "voluntary" overtime that's only arbitrarily compensated if ever. Extended health benefits don't cover much. Lack of clarity from management on studio direction. Lack of interdepartmental communication. No clear guidance for career growth. Study has built-in beds for long nights.

Kabam Response

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our priority is to grow our people as we continue to grow the business. Although the industry can be a demanding one, our commitment to our employees is to make their experience the most enjoyable while creating the opportunities for them to grow professionally. This is demonstrated through the continuing education reimbursement program we have in place. To include fun within the work itself, we foster an environment where physical space is designed with people in mind and hosting social events to keep the atmosphere light. As these reviews are anonymous, please email people@kabam.com - we’d love to hear more of your suggestions and to learn how we can better support each other.

"I love this place."

I have been working at Kabam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A dedicated and passionate bunch of game makers who seem to have a lot of fun. Startup culture makes it easy to get things done.

Cons

This level of sustained intensity won't be for everyone.

"Excellent Place to Work"

in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam

Pros

Amazing culture. Very smart and skilled peers. Definitely moving in the right direction in the quest for global domination! Recognition for achievements is super strong. Company is somewhat cost-conscious and doesn't seem to spend frivolously.

Cons

Not too many. This is a great place to work and all employees in my studio seem very delighted to work here. Only con perhaps is the imbalance of benefits between studios, but it sounds like they're working on that.

Found 114 reviews