Kabam Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canada - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.6
Tim Fields

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance ; only worked overtime a handful of times (in 16 reviews)

• Free lunch, that is usually very delicious (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance has become increasingly terrible, as all the great managers are pretty much gone (in 8 reviews)

• Disconnect between teams and upper management (in 6 reviews)

"I love this place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A dedicated and passionate bunch of game makers who seem to have a lot of fun. Startup culture makes it easy to get things done.

Cons

This level of sustained intensity won't be for everyone.

"Mundane and mildly pro-crunch, but still decent"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, free snacks, and it's a great place to work if you're excited about Marvel. Sometimes they actually convert contract workers to full-time workers.

Cons

Lots of "voluntary" overtime that's only arbitrarily compensated if ever. Extended health benefits don't cover much. Lack of clarity from management on studio direction. Lack of interdepartmental communication. No clear guidance for career growth. Study has built-in beds for long nights.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run the studio like a hip tech startup and start giving your employees solid benefits, fair compensation for time worked, and reasonable workload planning.

Kabam Response

31 Jul, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our priority is to grow our people as we continue to grow the business. Although the industry can be a demanding one, our commitment to our... More

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Amazing culture. Very smart and skilled peers. Definitely moving in the right direction in the quest for global domination! Recognition for achievements is super strong. Company is somewhat cost-conscious and doesn't seem to spend frivolously.

Cons

Not too many. This is a great place to work and all employees in my studio seem very delighted to work here. Only con perhaps is the imbalance of benefits between studios, but it sounds like they're working on that.

Advice to Management

Kabam needs to return focus on making a new team based BCG type game. Marvel Contest of Champions is close, however they should enter the space of Heroes Charge and Brave Frontier with full force. They have the resources and funds to do so.

"It has been a great experience, from the people to the product. My manager is amazing."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company direction, Roles and responsibilities are well defined.
    - Strong leadership
    - Cool products
    - Challenging work

Cons

- MSP coverage MSP coverage (or part) is pretty much done everywhere else. Seems odd we do benefits but not basic healthcare.
    - Transit in Vancouver should be subsidized to promote green.
    - Stock options info is very vague. i.e. what happens if they haven't vested and Kabam goes public. Answers like "Depends" isn't fair for anyone. This should be well defined and have triggers in these situations so there are no surprises
    - Relax rules on side projects so people can learn other things they are interested in without worrying the company will take what they have done.

Advice to Management

MSP & Transit would be really nice. I have stock options but waiting to here what evaluation per stock is. Would be nice to have known sooner - kinda left in the dark.
    Does Kabam do bonuses? if so there is nothing I could find on it...

"A great studio to work at; great people to work with."

Current Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Projects are ambitious and exciting; co-workers are not only talented but friendly and passionate about their work; the studio culture is excellent - it feels like a tight-knit community; the work is challenging and interesting

Cons

Project cycles are short (8 months - 1.5 years), which results in a fair bit of overtime leading into milestones; work/life balance can be difficult to maintain at times

Advice to Management

Nothing to say here; the studio's managed very well

"Awesome team, culture and projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kabam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Kabam Vancouver has an amazing work culture. Unlike other mobile developers which have more of a corporate vibe, the Vancouver studio actually feels like you're working at a game studio.

- The people I get to work with are the best at what they do. It not only makes the team stronger but also pushes you to perform at the highest level of performance.

- I've worked at the studio for 9-10 months and while there has been crunch to meet deadlines the studio takes care of you. The studio provide OT meals for those staying late which is a huge help.

- Since starting at the studio here in Vancouver I've had the opportunity to work on three different projects with major IPs. It would be almost impossible to do this at any other studio. On top of that everyone in studio is passionate about the games we make which means everyone is invested and we end up with higher quality games you can be proud of.

- I shifted to Kabam because there were no opportunities for me to move up into management at my previous employer. In the short time I've been at Kabam I've been given numerous opportunities to showcase my strengths. I've been able to build my career here and learn from the best.

- Wicked company trips, the studio for the past two years has run company wide trips based on the overall company's goals. This year we hit our goals and were sent to Vegas for a weekend, definitely a great feeling after working hard to hit deadlines.

- They allow dogs in the office. It's great.

Cons

- Early on I did not get enough feedback on my performance. This has changed since then, but as someone starting out at a new studio it's important for their personal growth and fit in the company to give them feedback on their work and effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Data analysis is incredibly helpful in the design and review process of gameplay features. However we should be careful not to rely completely on data driven design and instead always make data informed design choices. The difference being, we're not always basing every gameplay decision on whether it will make us more money.

"Makes coming to work fun again"

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

After a long history of working in AAA studios, it is refreshing to feel empowered again. My ideas are heard and there are no levels of bureaucracy to deal with. Excited to be working on great IP with dedicated people.

Other great perks:

Snack
    Beverages
    Beer kegs
    Fitness reimbursements
    Great downtown location

Cons

Lack of plans for professional deveopment

"Good people, hard work, rewarding company"

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

- The employees in this studio are fantastic. Friendly, reliable, helpful, collaborative.
    - Get to work on amazing games - AAA quality, action mobile games
    - Friday beers
    - Clean and well kept studio, comfortable for all, with room to grow as well as plenty of open 'socialization' areas with gaming systems, ping pong, foosball, boardgames, and movie nights!
    - 2000 sq ft patio!
    - Dog friendly studio (Vancouver only!)
    - Great perks like: company-wide rewards (they took us to Vegas!), holiday parties, summer parties

Cons

- extended health benefits could be better, but the offering is fairly standard (no MSP or eye wear)
    - depending on where the game(s) at in development, you may be required to work extended hours (who doesn't in this industry though!)

Advice to Management

- keep focusing on your staff, they are what makes Kabam a great place to work

10. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (Canada - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

11. "Game Designer"

Pros

Really good team and work environment, you can have your dog in the office and the perks are awesome.

Cons

There is not much, the company has grown a lot lately and you can not know everybody. And you can not bring cats.

12. "money greed"

Pros

Highly competitive environment, lot of food and drinks, expensive meals, events, all about results. Gourmet food. Pay is higher than market.

Cons

Top down management style, lower level employees are not allowed to ask questions, power and finger pointing culture, weak controls.

Advice to Management

More transparency and consistency with words and behaviour.