J D Wetherspoon "pub" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

J D Wetherspoon Employee Reviews about "pub"

Updated Oct 22, 2019

3.4
J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson
Pros
  • "Learnt a lot about how a big pub works(in 111 reviews)

• "It’s good pay, 28 days holiday a year 40 hour per week(in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some management tend to forget that running the pub from the office can create tension with associates(in 168 reviews)

• "Long hours/Late shifts - comes with working in a pub(in 166 reviews)

Reviews about "pub"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Whether to Wetherspoons?"

Current Employee - Associate in Cheltenham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great part time - while at university I was able to transfer between a pub at home and a pub in Exeter. The pay is good and they were able to give me shifts based on the days/times I gave them. My team in Cheltenham has been so friendly and social, I feel integral to the pub. There is plenty of opportunity to work your way up too if you wanted to make a career of it.

Cons

Too large a pub with multiple managers and lots of associates means you never really feel part of a team and simply feel like a number (Imperial in Exeter) - witnessed high staff turn over in this environment. A pub with only 1/2 managers is so much better as you feel integral to the team and will work with everyone at some point and get to know them properly. Hours can be unsociable if you work closed and weekends... but you can opt not to.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-15
  2. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekend nights are a lot of fun to work. Great coworkers. Head office generally listens to you; they revised the tipping policy because of employees being unhappy about it. Nice regulars. Very decent pay for my age group. There's always a good atmosphere in the pubs; lively and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Can get pretty rowdy and there's often drama. I had to quit as the managers just would not let me book days off. They always "forgot" despite me taking the proper procedures. Working floor can actually be pretty stressful.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-05
  3. "Decent employer"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Monthly bonus if pub meets targets

Cons

Early starts and late finishes

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-12
  4. "Great opportunity if you get a GOOD Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Leicester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Development opportunities Living wage, guaranteed hours Learn about the business behind the scenes Friendly regulars and colleagues make your days enjoyable Plenty of training puts in a great position if you move to another job in the industry. Free food when on duty, discounts when off duty! BONUS PAY - if your pub performs well!

Cons

Unsociable hours Lack of a work/life balance Lots of effort for little reward

Advice to Management

It's a people thing! That's your slogan, stick to it.. look after your staff and keep a close eye on how the pub managers look after them.. have regular associate liaison meetings to find out the issues

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-26

"No pub manager promise"

Current Employee - Pub Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits like shares Great pay GM very involved Staff liaison meetings

Cons

Micromanaged Under constant threat of disciplinary No input in running business Very stressful No work life balance Area management/personnel - all friends nowhere to turn for support Made to work when pubs are quiet - yet graded on it

Advice to Management

Who looks after pub Managers? We have to look after all our employees but no one cares for us. I was told “everyone has families” when I complained My working pattern meant I rarely seen my child or partner

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-09
  6. "Wasn’t a bad employer"

Current Employee - Waitress/Bar Staff in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Good amount of holidays. Regulars are always friendly.

Cons

Management can be disrespectful and not listen to your views. Some staff are rude. Lots of gossip with people around the pub.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don’t speak to them like they’re nothing just because you feel like it.

J D Wetherspoon2019-10-08
  7. "Good place to start at"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Teignmouth, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training Easy jobs Great co-workers Benefits (free food, discounts for you and friends...)

Cons

Customers can be pain Starting at “4”hrs contracts even when applied for full time (however I’ve been upgraded to 28hr contract few months after. ) Personal life vs work balance (you locking up the pub two days in a row, finishing 2am and then do opens two days later at 7am? Messes up your body clock)

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-21
  8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money is ok, the people you work with are the best part about the job where every day is different. Company culture would be good if it was upheld in every pub (which it’s not). Training schemes are good and pay can be ok

Cons

Bonuses would be good if ever able to achieve them Under pressure to perform, blame culture when something goes wrong, long hours, shift patterns can be awful

Advice to Management

Stop blaming someone else when things go wrong - teach people the right way

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-13
  9. "Not the best, but for a bit of extra money it’s not bad"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the customers, obviously you get some really awful ones but I really enjoy some of the variety of people we get. I love to talk to people and establish a good relationships with the regulars. There’s also some really good benefits, 50% of food and drink on shift and 20% the rest of the time and there’s plenty of opportunities to earn a little extra when quotas are hit or when audits and CQSMA’s get good... scores.

Cons

I’ve now worked in multiple pubs under this chain and honestly they’re all pretty much the same. If you have any skill, you’re wasted here. Most of the staff are lazy, the communication is lacking, and often times you’re not treat as a person with needs you’re just filling space. As a person who suffers from a chronic illness I need personally a little extra help sometimes or just a bit more relaxed rules when I’m... having a bad day and it’s often overlooked or I’m made to do things I physically struggle with because of my issues. Over all, not bad but definitely not good.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff! Yes some people are time wasters and not good fits for the job but every decent staff member I know has, or is thinking about leaving because they’re still treated like children and not listened too. You’re loosing some really good team members by not understanding their needs.

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-28
  10. "Bias and favouritism"

Current Employee - Bar Staff in Bexleyheath, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

You make good friends, there are a few people that you get along with and makes work fun.

Cons

If you make a mistake; or call in sick you will get picked on for months on end, managers will have a go at you if they see you standing still for one minute. Younger people in the pub get abused for weekend shifts, they put me on closes when I had no way home, there was a scandal in the pub where some staff were doing drugs at the staff party and because it was the group of boys/managers/ who are at the top it got... brushed under the carpet. If your not in the group of men/managers then you will get treated like rubbish by authority. The big manager is rude and aggressive and unsympathetic towards young people

Advice to Management

Don’t treat your staff like rubbish

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-22