J D Wetherspoon Employee Reviews about "pub"

Updated Jun 30, 2020

3.5
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson
Pros
  • "staff looked after for pub environment(in 121 reviews)

• "Good pay Good people Good atmosphere(in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours on your feet all day(in 196 reviews)

• "Pub dependent on how well managed everything is(in 195 reviews)

Reviews about "pub"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Kitchen Associate Life"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Kitchen Associate in Blackpool, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

The quarterly bonuses are the best depending on how your Pub performs. Staff are generally very friendly, but like everywhere it depends on the people.

Cons

If you struggle to work under pressure, that may be a con for you depending on how busy your pub gets and/or if you're lacking staff, you'll have to step up and do more work than usual. If you don't show your eagerness to learn new stations and improve you may end up being stuck on a role such as pot washer, which will drive you insane after a while. Management can be very strict depending on which pub you work at, as Audits affect bonuses it is only natural for managers to want everyone to perform the work to the best of their abilities.

2. "Great for students"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very considering of the students who work for the company; allow university students to transfer between pubs when in term-time/holidays. Also flexible with hours/days available to work.

Cons

Can become quite stressful and busy at times, both on bar and in kitchen.

3. "Potential"

Current Employee - Bar Shift Leader in Taunton, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Good place to work under a good pub manager If you can get in the click then promotions will come Free food Good bonus system Good pay

Cons

Dont care about employees unless you're in the click Change of policy without telling staff

4. "Great sociable job"

Current Employee - Bar Attendant in Scarborough, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible working pattern, great pay

Cons

Management can vary depending on which pub you work in; co-workers tend to be in cliques and the company culture is heavily drink dependant - most social gatherings will be in another pub

Continue reading
  5. "It's a laugh but not long-term"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Reading, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Move about and talk to people. Good team to work with. Get bonuses every month and quarter.

Cons

Duty managers are good and the day runs smoothly but pub manager would change your hours without telling you, not good.

6. "Hard work - not a viable career without burning out."

Former Employee - Shift Leader in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It can be a fun and engaging job, the people you work with and the regular customers male the job enjoyable. The free food is good and staff discounts are useful. I'd recommend it as a part time or second job for a bit of fun in your teens or twenties. Don't let it become your 'career'.

Cons

As much as the company pretends to 'care' its all really about the money wrapped up in a pretend sense of 'team' or 'family'. Once you realise that you're selling a drug to people that makes their lives seem a little less dark and soul destroying then you have the truth of it. The pub trade is quite dark and seedy underneath and the recent press coverage has just highlighted how much Mr Martin only cares about his profits and not his people. Hours allocated are unrealistic and some shifts just aren't worth coming in for.

Continue reading
  7. "Great for part-time work"

Former Employee - Bar Team Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to balance part-time work with my uni degree Develop management skills, and perform a wide variety of tasks Fun job, so long as you like customers Wetherspoon managers are trained to be lovely and supportive people You'll make great friends with coworkers

Cons

Can be stressful/intense in busy periods Pay increase to team leader isn't enough for the extra workload Smaller pubs can often be understaffed I don't think I'd enjoy the job nearly as much if I worked full-time Tim Martin

8. "Good for students"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Birmingham, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% off on shift, lively job and made some good friends. Good part time job while at uni and my managers were generally quite understanding when it came to my studies.

Cons

Shift patterns mean you can be working until 3am, have that day "off" and begin the next day at 7am. Understaffing is an issue, and different levels of work ethic amongst staff can be pretty frustrating at times, particularly when it's busy. Sometimes felt that other members of staff were not pulling their weight or that I had been assigned enough work for 3 people. Hours are unreliable and based on pub productivity - full time during Christmas period can drop to 2 shifts a week in January. You need quite a thick skin as customers get abusive quite easily (although luckily managers will have your back 9 times out of 10).

9. "Very Pub Dependent"

Current Employee - Kitchen Shift Leader

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay Is good in comparison to competitors Free Shares 20% Discount Good management experience for future roles

Cons

Can be stressful at times High pressure Unsociable hours Pub dependent on how well managed everything is

10. "All good , no complainTs"

5.0
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Wrexham, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible to transfer to meet personal needs / tackle complacency - always looking for a new challenge Every day something different Benefits a lot better now, work life balance improving!

Cons

Worked for some nasty managers in the past, took a few pubs to get comfortable Get rid of the whatsapp groups, texts on days off, always involved in the business

Found 276 reviews