Ipsos Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 30, 2020

3.3
Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot
Pros
  • "Good culture, dynamic working environment(in 113 reviews)

• "IPSOS is one of the best market research company among all other companies working in INDIA(in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work-life balance; high expectation & peer competition(in 126 reviews)

• "You will work long hours (it is looked down upon as not trying hard enough if you're not working 60(in 120 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to grow and learn"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities, opportunities to work with and learn from industry leaders, people are respectful, flexible working environment, most importantly, there are just so much opportinities that you can learn(if you are willing, of course. training, webinars, online lectures, etc) company values work life balance and flexibility (a lot of ppl choose to work from home some days, tech is set up so that you can literally work anywhere) Issues can get resolved fairly quickly - when it is directed to right people. Although it is a large company, org structure feels flat 'enough' so that you can reach out or connect with seniors or those in other dept. Also lots of social events to meet others. Big encouragement of collaboration, so you learn to support and help each other, not always compete against from each other.

Cons

Horrible IT system, admin tools (so many templates and forms to fill in, multiple sites, etc) are not user friendly at all, it makes your daily tasks take much longer than it should be. There are so much information or learning tools out there somewhere, but it is literally all over the place that you have to spend a lot of time digging through (instead of having a single point of access).

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Great, passionate people Amazing knowledge base to learn from

Cons

Work life balance - if you want to succeed you have to work a lot of hours. There is no way around it.

3. "Great company where employees can grow with many opportunities globally."

Current Employee - Vice President in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart people driven by curiosity and a desire to improve, innovative, great research tools, lots of opportunity for growth and change for those who want it and are willing to work smart/hard, stability for those who are seeking it.

Cons

Senior executive focus on revenue often seems more important than motivating factors related to strategy, but it is a publicly traded company so this would never go away entirely - its more a matter of emphasis. Work life balance can be a challenge if you don't manage your time smartly and ask for help.

Continue reading
  4. "Senior Account Manager"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

It is a company with a good reputation that offers excellent learning opportunities

Cons

No work-life balance and raises are limited

"Squeeze everything out of employees"

Current Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great peers and researchers to work with. Access to large clients gives some great learning opportunities. Lots of interesting work. Good training opportunities and some really smart people doing the training. Endless supply of work.

Cons

Management is determined to squeeze all it can out of current employees. In a flat industry, the intent seems to be to increase profitability by asking people to do more, with less. When business is slow, the cuts are made. But where there is growth, hiring is painfully slow. Really poor work/life balance. If you need help, you have to find someone to pitch in, and they are already busy. Operational processes are cumbersome and time consuming, taking much needed time away from focusing on clients. Bonuses are completely discretionary. Nobody understands how their own performance is linked to what is paid. Bonuses are a fraction of what they were a few years ago.

"Research Associate"

1.0
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

I wish I could leave a negative star review...that's how bad it was to work there. Firstly, you can throw out the idea of any sort of work/life balance here. You're basically expected to work 60+ hour weeks without compensation. I've had coworkers who had to take their laptop and work during their vacation abroad and work in the middle of the night to sync with North America hours. Also, don't expect to receive any sort of compensation or recognition. If you want to be ambitious and get promoted, they'll give you a laundry list of things you need to do to get ahead and then you go above and beyond and deliver on all those things, they will just take all the benefits of your work but not give you the recognition or promotion. If you're in a satellite office, don't expect to get any sort of promotion or recognition. Only team members in the same office as upper management will get recognition for not doing a single thing. Forget about personal growth too. I wanted to take a course to try and make myself and my team better but it felt like coming up against a brick wall as upper management are penny pinchers and will question you to death how it will help the team even though it is SO apparent how the team will benefit. Don't get sucked into the lure of a big corporation, you're better off developing your career elsewhere. I wasted 3 years of my life here.

"Account Manager"

in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ipsos

Pros

Incredible and smart people, strong senior management, compassionate and hard-working immediate management, wonderful coworkers, occasional fun events and lunch & learns. Good place to start and to build connections, get a feeling for market research. Interesting studies. Flexibility to work from home when need arises.

Cons

A lot of overtime work, sometimes as much as 12 or 14 hours a day. "Down-time" were weeks where you worked 44-50 hours. Ipsos likes to hire new grads as they are most likely to suffer through the crazy hours for experience. If you're unlucky to work under a workaholic senior management, you will never get their compassion or have work-life balance. Compensation and salary is not competitive. Some departments promote Entry to Intermediate level in 1 year, others in as long as 3 years for the same salary amount. Bonus structure is very rare. People can stay and work for many years at Ipsos to make it to the same level as an outsider who made it there in a much smaller amount of time elsewhere. People leave and do not get replaced, or get replaced months later - by then another person burns out. Remaining employees are expected to pick up their work and do overtime to meet client needs. Ipsos prides themselves in "work flexibility" and they offer the ability for you to work from home, as well as have programs like "Summer Hours", however those always follow with "client needs permitting". If you are very sick but you have an urgent client timeline, guess what - you're working from home to get it done. You wanted to take summer hours and leave early? Guess what, last minute request, you have to stay to get it done. It can get very demoralizing and difficult to plan any resemblance of family or social life around.

Continue reading

"Great long-term career opportunity starting at entry-level"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I started here at a very entry level and have been here for over 7 years now. I am now at an intermediate manager level and have been extremely satisfied with the vast portfolio of experience I have gained, in comparison to my colleagues that I graduated school with.

Cons

It is very fast-paced and things change almost on a minute to minute basis. It is not uncommon to work late and longer hours; however, they have programs to help with work/life balance such as summer hours, where we get to take every other Friday afternoon off, provide laptops to work from home, etc.

"Ipsos greatly benefits by the great staff with which to work"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff are great, and fellow employees roughly at the same level are uniformly pleasant and supportive to work with. The culture is inviting and the work is generally challenging.

Cons

There is little management direction--or proper direction when taking on a new role. There isn't the best understanding of trying to obtain a good work-life balance among junior staff, which results in burn-outs and demotivated employees.

Continue reading

"Takes advantage of their employees"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very nice coworkers - Large company - Opportunities to travel - Work with well-known companies

Cons

- Inconsistent promotion criteria across different teams (i.e. easy to get promotion in one team vs. very difficult to get promotion in another team) - Little recognition for achievement - Promotion for undeserving people - Horrible work/life balance

Found 173 reviews