Investors Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 5 July, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company provides fantastic training which is focused on financial planning" (in 54 reviews)

• "Self employed, with work life balance and tremendous support in all areas of financial planning" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Initially the consultant role is commission based" (in 38 reviews)

• "As a consultant, you are 100% commission based meaning that you grow as much as a you want, but there is no "floor" in terms of salary" (in 26 reviews)

1. "Good place to work if you work hard"

Former Employee - Consultant in North York, ON
    Former Employee - Consultant in North York, ON

I worked at Investors Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They invest a lot in training
    Division Directors tend to be great resources and great people

Cons

True sales gig, financial part is fairly watched/carried out by senior advisors.
    Low commissions early on just due to a small book

Advice to Management

Bridge the sales part to the advisor part

2. "Financial Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Investors Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company for future advancements. Allows flexibility and treats all people - men and women equally.

Cons

I have been with IG for many years and working here is like being part of a great family. I have no cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to all levels of staff as you have been. That is what makes this company great!

3. "Consultant"

I have been working at Investors Group full-time

Pros

This is a very evolutionary company that is making the right changes at the right time. The amount of training, support and development for the Consultant role is second to absolutely no one in Canada.

Cons

If you are unable to be a self starter you will struggle in this commission role.

4. "working experience"

Pros

good training on sales skills

Cons

sales pressure is hard for brand new consultant

"Consultant 100% commission"

Former Employee - Consultant in Brandon, MB
    Former Employee - Consultant in Brandon, MB

I worked at Investors Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential. Flexibility to design own schedule. Work as little or as much as you want. Good training, free continuing education. Good place to start in the Financial advice industry and learn the ropes.
    Very hard to get started but if you can stick it out for a few years until you have a substantial client base your earnings will far surpass bank employees.

Cons

100% commission. You don't sell, you don't get paid.
    Lots of mistakes by head office on clients paperwork, also seem to loose a lot of documents, which then in turn makes your job harder to explain and deal with clients why they need to resign documents or why a transaction takes so long.
     Lots of nonsense meetings that are time wasters.
    They eliminated prospecting programs in order for newer advisers to find clients. Also having the help of specialists was recently eliminated. You are on your own to find clients and sell them.

Advice to Management

Create more prospecting programs. Stop cutting costs. What is good for the stock price is not always good for consultants/employees.

6. "Disorganized company"

I worked at Investors Group full-time

Pros

Work-life balance was great. They did not demand anything from me at all.

Cons

Too many to mention. I've never worked for a company where I felt the culture was of mindless paper-pushers

"Terrible!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Investors Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - comprehensive financial planning process
    - autonomy

Cons

They enthusiastically recruit you in, promise you lots of potential earning and such. I left a stable salary job and decided to try things out. You have to everything on your own, the company charges you to the penny even for things like photocopy. Very little support, the only thing the head office does for you is coordinate setting up a booth at various trade shows, which you'll eventually discover is a waste of your time to prospect for quality clients, and you still have to pay half the cost just to attend. And then they had some company restructuring, all of a sudden with no coaching, no support and no heads up notice, terminated me along with 2 others in my office. And then they ask you to pay debt back to them, for previous expenses. My colleague was so pissed, because they took his computer and never transferred the lease, he's still paying for a computer he no longer owns; and at the time he had some money transferring in on the way, if he had made commission from those he'd cover his debt. He escalated to head office, nobody cares.

Besides those, their client management system is a mess, they keep dumping garbage clients to new advisors to manage. Their mutual fund fees are high, returns are so so, not competitive compared to the banks unless the client has 250K+ in a pooled portfolio. They still use paper forms for account opening and updates, it's all electronic at big banks years ago.

Join at your own risk, unless you are confident you can keep finding 250K+ clients and bring your book to 100-150 clients, you will have a very rough time.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing you'll lose all the good people

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Investors Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Build your own financial practice with all support and training you will get.
    Using IG brand and platform is of huge value

Cons

I couldn't find any so far. If you are adamant, motivated about having and growing your own business, I don't think there is a better company to do it with. They are caring, provide you with great products and a lot of training and personal development.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work !

9. "Great comnpany to grow your client practice in"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Investors Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent platform to support your business growth. We receive a lot of support which allows us to provide full planning and on point recommendations to all of our clients. Compensation is competitive and unlimited if you are prepared to put in the work.

Cons

None - coming into this you understand it is of entrepreneurial nature. What you put into it is exactly what you get out of it. If you follow the process and structure that management provides, you will grow a successful practice.

10. "IG Platform Full Value"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owen Sound, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owen Sound, ON

I have been working at Investors Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The support that an Investors Group Consultant receives is layers deep and, I believe, unparalleled in the industry. From the initial Field Mentoring of a developing Consultant right through to the most advanced financial planning support in the most complex cases to all levels of practice management, Consultants can have the comfort and confidence to align themselves with this highly respectable organization. When I first considered joining IG twenty years ago, it was the culture of mentoring and support that set it apart for me and I'm pleased to say that culture remains alive and well today.

Cons

A self-employed opportunity is clearly not for everyone so proper due diligence and business planning are critical to assessing this opportunity.