International Institute for Sustainable Development Reviews

Updated May 21, 2021

Found 19 of over 19 reviews

3.9
International Institute for Sustainable Development President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Vaughan
Scott Vaughan
  1. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

RESEARCH INTERN

Oct 28, 2020 - Intern in Winnipeg, MB
    Business Outlook

Pros

people are kind and willing to give advise

Cons

I couldn't see them in person in this situation

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Payroll

Aug 11, 2020 - Payroll Administrator in Winnipeg, MB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work witj H

Cons

Very face pace environment very busy

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Taking on a challenge with a team

Aug 14, 2018 - Communications Specialist in Winnipeg, MB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting, relevant work Welcoming, high powered team Flex work time and location International exposure

Cons

Pay on a non-profit scale

International Institute for Sustainable Development Response

HR Manager

We greatly appreciate your feedback! We are happy to see that you are enjoying your first year at IISD and agree there are plenty of exciting and welcoming staff! We believe work life balance and exposure to the international work and challenges is key to empowering our employees. We are continuously assessing our compensation to ensure fair pay across our industries market. This is determined using a leading HRIS platform to assist IISD in paying at market compensation rates as we value our employees and the work that they do.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great

Jan 11, 2021 - Finance Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana, Haryana
    Business Outlook

Pros

Environment, culture, staff, location, salary

Cons

Far, conveyance, high rent, food

5. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 5 years

Punches above its weight

Oct 15, 2017 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a truly non-ideological organization that promotes research and informed policy making about sustainable development. You will work with great, intelligent, concerned people.

Cons

Salaries are quite modest, so you will be tempted to leave.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

IISD

Dec 18, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible academics, friendly colleagues, and making a real difference in the world of international affairs and sustainable development.

Cons

Not much interaction between the different offices, and there is sometimes tension between them.

3 people found this review helpful

International Institute for Sustainable Development Response

Director of Communications

Thanks for your feedback. So glad you're having a five-star experience :) We agree about the incredible team who work here and the impact they have in the world. We also agree we wrestle with silos. It's a natural result of having offices spread across the planet with people focused on ambitious objectives in very different fields. We've recently added to our comms team to improve internal communications. Weekly emails and a more robust intranet are helping celebrate the work across our organization. The leadership team is also raising awareness of the different programs's grant proposals, so more of our teams collaborate across offices and time zones. And breaking down silos is -very much- on the leadership team's minds.

7. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Very helpful colleagues

Aug 8, 2013 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very helpful colleagues and mentors who will take time out to guide you. As a non-profit their research isn't affected by incentives.

Cons

there is no laptop provided for interns. also the stipend is kinda low considering the costs of living in Geneva.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

It's a good institute

Sep 15, 2020 - Policy Analyst in Winnipeg, MB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work and nice people

Cons

Not much interaction between different team

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Superior colleagues, great ideas and collaboration

Aug 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The IISD is a great place for starting out a career. The projects are as varied and interesting as the staff. There is a lot of opportunity to find and develop your own projects.

Cons

The amount of over time put in for project (research) staff is not compensated with overtime pay and the large work load makes for taking off time in lieu difficult. Expect to work long hours on a regular basis.

Continue reading
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Easy and insightful interview process

Jul 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

IISD used an online video interview platform, which indicated to me that they were a tech savvy and forward-thinking company. Next step was a one-to-one chat with my manager. The process moved quickly and smoothly.

Cons

Remote locations make it hard to get to know colleagues on a personal level. Time zones can be a challenge, but working for a global organization is also its own reward.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews

Popular Careers with International Institute for Sustainable Development Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at International Institute for Sustainable Development? Share Your Experiences

International Institute for Sustainable Development logo