Insomniac Games Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

Found 35 of over 41 reviews

4.3
Insomniac Games CEO & President Ted Price (no image)
Ted Price
  1. 5.0

Incredible Company- My voice is always heard

May 7, 2021 - Associate Gameplay Programmer in Burbank, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- My opinion matters to everyone, even directors. - I get to work on a lot of different things - I get to choose my specialty and I have a lot of say in what project I am on - Project managers are very interested in improving the workflow process and making sure everyone has what they need - My team has zero issues with sexism, and I'm a female. I'm treated the same as everyone else and I'm not ever treated differently. - Everyone is friendly and eager to answer questions

Cons

- Sometimes exec feedback can be all over the place and doesn't have the big picture in mind, but even then, it's not that bad. - Sometimes we have surprise milestones that have to be met, and although I've never personally crunched, some other people feel obligated to. No one makes us crunch or pressures us to though.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Grear company to work at

May 1, 2021 - VFX Artist in Burbank, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and projects to work on

Cons

Company is big so hard to meet everyone

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0

Fantastic company

Mar 31, 2021 - Character Technical Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

CEO is fantastic. Ted genuinely cares for everyone and shows it in incredibly thoughtful ways.

Cons

It's apparent we're still calibrating to the rapid growth in size (but it seems like we're making strives)

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

No complaints!

Oct 27, 2020 - Senior Programmer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management genuinely cares about employees and are constantly looking for areas of improvement. The work is extremely fulfilling and fun!

Cons

Slightly lower compensation compared to other studios.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work for

Mar 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many talented people working there. The environment is friendly and collaborative.

Cons

Nothing negative to say really.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, great people

Feb 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great projects. Excited for what the future holds. Excellent bonuses.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Company, Great People

Feb 11, 2020 - Intern in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I interned at the NC studio in 2019. I had a fantastic experience; everyone was happy to answer any questions I had, and I had many meetings with the lead to go over my performance and make sure I was getting the most out of my time there as possible. I learned a ton, and can say with complete confidence that Insomniac is absolutely dedicated to giving their interns a full experience at their studio. We felt like employees, and were entrusted with assets from the games in production. It never felt like busywork, it always felt like I was contributing something. While there were people who stayed late, it was never demanded from what I saw. The people who needed to stayed, but over all the company seemed to respect the work/life balance of its employees.

Cons

There aren't many younger employees at the NC studio and many people there have children and families to get home to, so there aren't a lot of peer-related activities outside of work.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

An Underdog Studio with Execs that care both about making great games and being profitable

Jan 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO and other higher-ups in the company know me by name and treat me and others lower-ranked employees with respect. If I really wanted, I could go knock on Ted’s door and if he didn’t have something truly urgent, I believe he’d stop there to listen to me. The company cares about making money, but not so much that we’ll toss out a game too early. Sure, every game could use another month (or twelve) of polish, but I think they (and Sony) do a pretty good job of drawing the line. Burbank is nice and our office and facilities are pretty great.

Cons

Not the most organized scheduling and project management in my opinion. I often find myself ‘PMing’ my own tasks and some of the others in my department as PM doesn’t always understand how a department operates (how long it takes to do XYZ, who should do what task, when should we do a task in relation to other departments, etc). I wouldn’t mind being micro-managed with tasks so much if PM had a really strong working knowledge of our department and I didn’t have to explain why something can/can’t/should/shouldn’t get done right soon/later. This is not true for all departments though, and it seems some are more managed by their leads, which to me seems more effective from my side of the fence.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

A great place to work

Aug 14, 2019 - QA Tester
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super transparent and open minded

Cons

None that I can think of.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work and is just getting started. Future seems bright.

Jun 6, 2019 - Designer in Burbank, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, and great tools. Offers a wide variety of projects.

Cons

Hard to climb the ladder here. Salary feels low vs. experience.

6 people found this review helpful