Ingenuity Lab Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ingenuity Lab Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2019

3.6
  1. "Great Opportunities & Collaboration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

World class team of experts Room to grow and develop Freedom to propose new ideas Meaningful, cutting edge scientific research

Cons

Some coworkers can be difficult

Advice to Management

Keep Going and Stay the Course!!

Ingenuity Lab2018-04-10
  2. "Researcher at Ingenuity Lab"

Former Employee - Researcher

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time

Pros

Smart scientists and engineers to work with.

Cons

Not very organized, and the work is repeating.

Ingenuity Lab2019-07-06
  3. "Nice organization to get involved in high end R&D but not very good for long term development"

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time

Pros

friendly staff, flexible schedule, good resources

Cons

unclear structure and poor management, not very productive

Ingenuity Lab2018-08-30

"Proofreader of Research Documents"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Ingenuity Lab

Pros

Flexible hours Freedom of work - Little supervision Trust in employees Questions answered promptly

Cons

Cubicles can be a bit bland Some area have no windows

Ingenuity Lab2018-04-06
  5. "Growing, interdisciplinary lab with great people!"

Former Employee - Copy Editor in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ingenuity Lab part-time for more than a year

Pros

Multi-disciplinary approach, focused on solving current issues, exciting research, strong and focused leadership not afraid to push boundaries and get things done. Colleagues were all friendly and always happy to help one another. As a student employee, the opportunity to work for a dynamic, young, goal-oriented research organization was an amazing opportunity. In addition, they recognized my hard work and grew... my role to meet their needs and my interests in the communications department. The leadership team were adaptive, high-energy and looked to support myself and my colleagues do our jobs and give us opportunities to grow. I have the utmost respect for them and am so grateful to have worked with them and see the front lines of the technology applied in such a variety of fields!

Cons

Work split on multiple floors of building, University of Alberta Chemical and Materials Engineering manages HR and are atrocious.

Advice to Management

Keep blazing your own trail and avoid getting bogged down in U of A politics.

Ingenuity Lab2018-04-06
  6. "A great lab to be a part of"

Former Employee - Copy Editor

I worked at Ingenuity Lab part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Lab of Ingenuity was a great place for me to work. As a university student with a busy schedule, this was an opportunity for me to be a part of a professional team, and to also get work experience while in school. Everyone was always really nice, which made for a friendly workplace culture and environment. Managment was easy-going and flexible with my school schedule. The Lab of Ingenuity is doing some really... exciting research and it was cool to be a part of that team.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, but that came with the part-time nature of the job and I knew that going in!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and innovation.

Ingenuity Lab2018-04-06

"Family Run Lab with Public Funding at the University of Alberta"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Ingenuity Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

-You will learn how to handle uncomfortable environment very well. -There are some good researchers and staffs in the group.

Cons

- It is a public funded lab that controls by family members. This is not the issue for a private company, but it makes it really unacceptable for a public funded research group. - The family members without required credentials can override any decision easily. - The management team (the family members) spend lots of public funding for publicity -Some of the group members bend easily with wind to stay longer.

Advice to Management

-Presenting FALSE FACTS has expiry date! It is important to leave good name behind. -Bringing family members without any credentials on board is not being wise. - Just investing on gaining publicity is not enough. Nowadays, having output has the final say.

Ingenuity Lab2017-07-11

"A family run business"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well funded lab with all the facilities located in the National Institute of Nanotechnology. The labs are at a great location and easy access to Tim Hortons.

Cons

All the administrative posts are filled with family members. No good communication between researchers and the director is surrounded by his trust worthy group of highly qualified politicians. The projects are all hypothetical and there is a lack of passion for hardcore fundamental research. They run as in commercial companies and does not belong in the NINT. They should relocate in the industrial areas of South... Edmonton.

Advice to Management

Start publishing papers in peer reviewed journals rather than cheap publicity in local and national newspapers.

Ingenuity Lab2017-03-22

"Clouded vision of ingenuity"

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of funding, this place will be in business for at least the next three years. Most of the people are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

There is noticeable friction between different team leads. Lack of information between groups has led to a few costly mistakes. It is run much more like a company than research group, results that can make money or be patent-able are the only goals.

Advice to Management

Ditch the yes-men family members that you have installed, and hire industrial trained scientists if you want the results you are looking for.

Ingenuity Lab2016-02-09
  10. "Exciting concept and vision"

I worked at Ingenuity Lab full-time

Pros

- Creative and innovative researchers - Multi-disciplinary - Easy to initiate new projects

Cons

-Bureaucracy of surrounding organizations (University of Alberta, Alberta Innovates, NINT, Alberta Government)

Advice to Management

Don't give up. Find a way to operate outside of the University.

Ingenuity Lab2018-05-11