Industrial Light & Magic Reviews

Found 186 of over 244 reviews

4.0
Industrial Light & Magic President and General Manager Lynwen Brennan
Lynwen Brennan
Pros
  • "projects good(in 9 reviews)

• "Great people, talented artists, high end projects(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The history of wokflows and pipeline of the company some times gets in the way(in 16 reviews)

• "Long hours and lots of overtime(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great company

Jun 19, 2022 - FX Technical Director in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company morale is generally high. Good respectful work/life balance (people don't contact me after 6pm, good social event culture). Cool Disney benefits too

Cons

People can be a bit standoffish about their status

2. 5.0

Great company

May 10, 2022 - Nuke Compositor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great life work balance , cool work

Cons

I don't have anything quite negative to say

3. 3.0

Salary

May 15, 2022 - Production Assistant in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work on incredible movies and see the work of great artists.

Cons

Hierarchical Very Low pay for a company that makes billions in revenue on a yearly basis.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good place overall

Apr 20, 2022 - VFX Artist
      Business Outlook

Pros

good salary good team good food

Cons

projects could be better, too much OT

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

So disappointing

Feb 12, 2022 - VFX Production Coordinator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

They offer benefits and pay OT, which should be standard. and most of the crew are lovely. Stagecraft will be an interesting addition to the studio.

Cons

Movement through the company is based on favouritism not skillset. Lower than average pay Management ignores feedback Tons of surface level actions that have no impact, like announcing 'no meeting fridays' and then continuing to fill Fridays with meetings. As one of the longest running VFX studios they should be much more on top of things, operates like a start up.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Rampant Nepotism

Dec 21, 2021 - 3D Artist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

looks good on your resume I guess

Cons

There is such obvious favoritism in this place it's crazy. The people who go out drinking with management and supes get all the special treatment, which includes promotions, raises, and all of the best shot work. So if you are more introverted, or you don't drink alcohol, then you probably won't get any good work. If you really need this ILM credit on your resume, then just be careful and watch your back. The artist managers do not follow through with their promises and you will have fight tooth and nail to get your work recognized. But if you don't really need it then just don't even bother working here. It's not worth it. I was on one show where the supervisor was extremely disorganized and would give me very unclear direction, he was verbally abusive towards other artists, and more than once tried to blame me for his own mistakes. On another occasion, one supervisor actually propositioned me WHILE I was an artist on his show, and I was genuinely concerned that turning him down would negatively affect my career. All of my end of show reviews were overwhelmingly positive, but still over 5+ years I was only getting the grunt work on every show. Meanwhile certain artists around me were getting super long vacations and amazing hero shots for their demo reels. If everyone was so happy with my work, why after 5+ years do I have nothing to show for it in my reel? To top this all off the pipeline is extremely onerous and messy. Simple tasks take forever to accomplish. Communication between departments is terrible and continuing to decline. Do yourself a favor and just work elsewhere, the ILM legacy is long gone.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Only good for your resume

Dec 1, 2021 - CG Artist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's pretty stable with decent benefits. nice office space

Cons

- they underpay people since they know people want that ILM credit on their resume - really messy pipeline - really bad communication, and it seems to be getting worse - only friends of management get promotions and raises - talent is not recognized - unreliable artist managers that don't keep promises and are not transparent in their communication with you - many many artists have left for all of these reasons so there's a high turnover rate which is creating even more confusion

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

great place

Oct 6, 2021 - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

great team to work with

Cons

production deadline smaller and smaller

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Place to work

Sep 21, 2021 - Pipeline Technical Director in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Titles Diverse Hires Transparent System Hardware provided for working from home

Cons

I havent been to the studio

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Sep 17, 2021 - Animation Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good salaries good people good times

Cons

None to note that I can think of

Viewing 1 - 10 of 186 Reviews

Industrial Light & Magic Reviews FAQs

Industrial Light & Magic has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 244 reviews left anonymously by employees. 83% of employees would recommend working at Industrial Light & Magic to a friend and 57% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Industrial Light & Magic employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Industrial Light & Magic. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

83% of Industrial Light & Magic employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Industrial Light & Magic 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Industrial Light & Magic Job Seekers