Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Nov 14, 2021

Found 117 of over 1,330 reviews

4.0
Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman
Pros
  • "Great work environment, supportive leaders(in 94 reviews)

• "Great people to work with (Depends on location though)(in 67 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Too much is expected for minimum wage(in 118 reviews)

• "only part time work was available for me(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Indigo Books & Music and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Environment

Jul 31, 2021 - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Environment Nice coworkers and managers Job is straightforward and not difficult

Cons

Minimum wage Job is repetitive and can be boring if you are someone who likes a change of pace

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Experience working at Chapters

Nov 3, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative in Newmarket, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great team, employee peeks

Cons

Paid just above minimum wage even after having worked there for 4 years, and despite glowing performance reviews, and no benefits for part-time staff.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A lot of work for very little compensation

Nov 4, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get a lot of hours if you want a lot of hours. Generally, the staff is quite nice. You get a good discount on the product and it is genuinely fun to sell and speak to customers about. I'm quite fond of the kids' section, there's so much to do and you're never bored. Covid-dependent, you get to borrow books from the store for free, that's a nice perk. You get a lot of chances to really speak to and bond with customers which can be very rewarding.

Cons

You're started on minimum wage and told that you can easily work your way up to a higher pay grade, many of my coworkers have been there for years and are insanely overqualified making only perhaps a dollar more than I am. With the new system, no one is set to work specific sections anymore which means that you'll often get put somewhere where you are extremely unfamiliar with the product and often have to tell customers outright that you know nothing about it nor where to find it. This is location-dependent but you will often get abuse thrown at you from customers, especially regarding covid mandates, with very little backup from management. Actually, sometimes you'll have abuse thrown on you from management as well and it will make your life extra hard. For a minimum wage job, you are expected to break your back for absolutely everyone in the store. Often, you will find yourself covering other people's lack of work alone with no acknowledgment or compensation. Certain sections require much more work and backup and the latter is simply not given to you no matter how often you ask for it. I've had many customers look at me in shock when they realize that we do not get a commission, especially in sections that require special training. In fact, you do not get any form of extra compensation for any extra training you might have, even if it means you are one of the few in the store who is capable of working that particular section. I have also found that the store hygiene is not ideal, as I and many of my coworkers are repeatedly getting ill despite constantly washing our hands and wearing masks. Despite this, they still want to reopen seating and restrooms to the public with absolutely no concern for our well-being. It is worth mentioning that our restrooms are shared with our customers and since there is no covid/vaccine protocol around entering retail stores, we are put insanely at risk. I would also like to bring up the issue of safety in the store. Many of my coworkers, myself included, have been followed around the store by customers trying to harass us or ask us out. Our safety net is a pager, which can often not function properly or sometimes is simply not provided to us either because management does not have enough for their employees or they decided they are angry with you that day and want to "put you in your place". In either case, it means that you are unable to accurately do your job as well as in an unsafe position as you cannot call for help if you are being harassed and followed by a creepy customer. This is also a safety hazard if it comes to things such as missing children being reported or shootings occurring within the workplace, as this is the primary form of communication between employees. This is not even mentioning how ridiculous the dress code is and how much of an upfront cost it is considering it is literally a minimum wage job. It was definitely a fun job at first and a fast-paced environment, however, it is absolutely not worth minimum wage. For the expectations that are demanded of you, starting wages need to be much much higher and capping wages should be as well, with significantly more potential for raises in pay throughout. I am still in shock that my coworkers have had to legitimately argue for 20 cent pay raises after years of working at the store and putting their heart and soul into the job.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Retail Environment

Sep 15, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive environment, professional retail, inclusive, room for internal growth with company

Cons

As its an entry level employer it shares the common issue of minimum wage pay for long work days

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

NOT a book-lover's dream job

Sep 21, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

- employee discount (30% off books, 40% off home etc if you buy in-store) - great coworkers at my location - ops shifts (5ams) are super chill and fun - very strong union support (but only from unionized locations - most of them aren't)

Cons

- most of management SUCKED. extremely unaccomodating to student schedules - wouldn't let us change our availability more than once per quarter, so if you change your course schedule, good luck! also the "quarters" are july-sep and oct-dec so if you start school in september they wouldn't let us change our availibilities for school until the union stepped in. there's also no way to set a max cap for how many hours you want to work, unlike almost every other retail job I've worked, and they just give you more hours as you gain seniority with zero regard as to whether you actually want those hours. - our store was unionized, and management was VERY passive aggressive and very obviously salty that we unionized and that attitude was extremely unprofessional and made me very uncomfortable. they would also make things extremely difficult by not following the union contract and forcing us to file grievances with the union every time; I swear our union rep filed like 3 grievances a week - extremely high pressure from (most of) management about selling plum plus memberships - very confusing and vague direction on what to do on the sales floor - half the time they wouldn't even give you actual tasks to do and you end up wandering around a massive store looking for stuff to do, and then they get passive aggressive with you about being unproductive - GM was generally very rude and unpleasant to work with - zero part-time growth opportunities; if you don't want to stay a Customer Experience Representative, you have to go full-time (or, for Customer Experience Leader, minimum of 25 hours a week) - minimum wage

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

CSR

Sep 21, 2021 - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great products and great management

Cons

The pay is minimum wage

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

CER

Aug 19, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff Great Company to work in if you want to expand on your social skills

Cons

The company is big so the hours might vary. Some stores have little hours to give and it is minimum wage.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great work environment, terrible benefits

Aug 1, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a great place to work as the staff are well trained and have lots of freedom to make decisions for the benefit of the customer. Book lovers rejoice!

Cons

Company has a flat structure so there are no growth opportunities. You have a whole lot of responsibility for a minimum wage job, which is very unfair by staff.

9. 1.0

Don’t Apply For Operations

Aug 21, 2021 - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount on products. Great coworkers - made some amazing friends while working here. Mostly nice managers. Good if you are in school and need a flexible schedule. Most locations have a Starbucks inside. Fun job if you are doing sales.

Cons

Extremely high expectations for minimum wage. My location had 8 managers when I left, having hired 3 new ones in the last year, but refused to hire more people for our team (Operations) or give us more hours. If you work on Ops, be prepared to get yelled at often especially by the managers from head office that drop in. Puts their business needs ahead of their employees wants and needs (ie. putting me in the baby section when I returned after having a miscarriage). Most likely won’t be promoted to manager, most new managers were pulled in from external sources. There were people who worked extremely hard for 10-20 years and were never considered for promotion. Was promised a raise since I worked mostly graveyard shifts, did not receive that. Was constantly switched between 5am starts and 8-9pm starts, with only one day between to recover. Managers play favouritism big time.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Loved it

Jun 10, 2021 - Bookseller/Barista in Toronto, PE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place for first job!

Cons

Short shifts and minimum wage

Viewing 1 - 10 of 117 Reviews