Indigo Books & Music Reviews
65% would recommend to a friend
(1512 total reviews)
Heather M. Reisman
51% approve of CEO
Found 1,512 of over 2K reviews
Updated Dec 5, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The people were great and enjoyed working there." (in 124 reviews)
- "Discount and great coworkers were nice." (in 108 reviews)
- "Flexible Hours (you get to post/trade/claim shifts as much as you want)" (in 68 reviews)
- "Good work environment and discounts." (in 62 reviews)
- "Staff were friendly and helpful." (in 46 reviews)
- "sometimes poor management due to lack of organization" (in 99 reviews)
- "Pay was low for me" (in 90 reviews)
- "bad managers are moved store to store/good employees leave in tears." (in 77 reviews)
- "After working here for over five years I barely made a few cents above minimum wage as every time minimum wage went up we just got bumped up to it without previous raises being added." (in 61 reviews)
- "Pay is minimum wage which is definitely not enough for the amount of work we do" (in 51 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Indigo Books & Music and is not affected by filters.
- 3.0Dec 5, 2023Customer Service Representative (CSR)Former Employee, more than 1 yearToronto, ON
Easy to trade shifts with coworkers, generally cool people are hired, store discount is not bad
Cliquey management team, low pay, shifts are generally very short (4 hours)
- 2.0Nov 16, 2023Operations LeadCurrent Employee
30-40% discount Good Benefits Good Resources but you have to look for them yourself - Ie free remote vet appointments but they don't tell you what all the benefits and perks are or where to find them. You have to look through the employee website on your own and figure it out
Bad hours - most roles are part-time and hours are not guaranteed Some locations the managers are more concerned with corporate policy/wording and looking good on paper as opposed to good work culture Very high school/Mean girls culture
- 2.0Nov 16, 2023Customer Service RepresentativeFormer Employee, more than 1 yearVancouver, BC
Staff discount on books and merchandise was really nice but also I spent way more at Indigo than I would have if I hadn't worked there.
Very little training, really poor management, and a heavy emphasis on trying to sell memberships to as many customers as possible even though the Plum Plus is a scam. Very little room for growth, favouritism amongst managers.
- 4.0Nov 29, 2023Customer Experience ManagerFormer EmployeeDartmouth, NS
Discount, staff, some HO partners.
GM at this location was wildly unqualified and consistently demonstrated a lack of consideration for her team.
- 4.0Nov 22, 2023Customer Experience RepresentativeFormer Employee, more than 1 yearToronto, ON
Working with books and other book enthusiasts.
Being on your feet all day can be somewhat uncomfortable.
- 3.0Nov 20, 2023Senior Project ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearToronto, ON
Relatively easy going culture. Benefits are good.
Depending on the group, things can be sluggish. Systems and processes are old.
Indigo Books & Music Reviews FAQs
Indigo Books & Music has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 1,696 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Indigo Books & Music to a friend and 45% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.
65% of Indigo Books & Music employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Indigo Books & Music 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.