Index Exchange Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 25 of over 189 reviews

4.2
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively)(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great company

Jan 19, 2021 - Data Engineer in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance Great team & management

Cons

Need to work with old tech

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Would recommend

Feb 28, 2020 - Support in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance, great benefits, free snacks

Cons

Things are changing very fast, lack of transparency of changes

3. The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Tech

35.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Index Exchange~954292
      Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0

Dec 30, 2019 - Software Developer Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is great for learning and growing. All engineers are willing to help. CEO is great, no attitude or ego to him. Work life balance and flexibility is really appericated by the engineers along with the great perks.

Cons

It would be great to infuse newer technology and frameworks and shift from the large chunks of legacy code

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people to work with

Nov 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with Great work-life balance People are approachable and friendly

Cons

Below market salary Tech debt slowing progress

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great place to work

Aug 2, 2019 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair compensation, great work-life balance + perks, friendly + engaged staff, dynamic environment

Cons

Technical debt presents headwinds to onboarding of new engineers

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company that takes care of it's employees

Apr 25, 2019 - Engineering in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great working environment

Feb 26, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Work-life balance is great now. There were problems before but now are long gone. * Flexible hours * No toxic office culture, young atmosphere. * Managers are nice and knowledgeable, lots of support * Lots of people to learn from, great diversity * Transparency, frequent internal AMAs with senior management, open doors policy * Frequent events, weekly paid recreational activities off site (soccer field, volleyball etc)

Cons

* Some of the Toronto teams are not downtown (if you like downtown)

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Huge strides in making engineering culture better, but still a long way to go for senior management

May 3, 2018 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work perks, benefits, work life balance. Definitely a place where you can make a name for yourself, and grow. - A lot of cool technical problems of scale that aren't found anywhere else, with the tools and resources to experiment and do so. - Has also improved a lot in terms of engineering management. A lot of senior leadership has entered, injecting fresh ideas and modern practices. It's a lot better than it was a year ago. - Competitive salary.

Cons

- Lack of senior technical expertise. They're trying their best to address it, but hiring senior engineers are deterred by the lack of technical knowledge from the internal recruiters, and boring task of maintenance as opposed to building. - A lack of emotional intelligence from the old guard management. New management is great, but many of the old managers don't admit when they're wrong or don't know something when they should, which leads to a lot of office politics and gossip, and poisons company culture. No channel of feedback is provided for engineers to these managers, nor is it taken seriously.

Director, Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re very happy that you recognize the significant effort we’re undertaking to redefine our engineering culture, and that overall you feel positive about Index. Our company has experienced explosive growth over the past few years and that has come with its share of growing pains, both in terms of technology and culture. This year we’re investing heavily in the health and scalability of our technology in preparation for aggressive feature development. To me it’s exciting that we’re doing things many companies never get a chance to do: paying down technical debt and re-architecting and re-writing major parts of our software to prime us for even more growth and for a smoother development process. We’re also very active on the hiring front and working hard to address our need for senior technical talent in order to help us move forward faster. The growth of the company requires growth in our leaders, and that’s something we both encourage and support. We sometimes need input to help inform and guide that growth though. I can assure you that we genuinely appreciate your feedback, that it is being taken very seriously and that we will make good use of it. I’m sorry you feel that Engineers have no channel for providing feedback on Managers and TPOs. This is most definitely not our intention. We have a very real and safe open door policy. We will take immediate steps to ensure everyone understands their options for safely providing feedback on leadership. Again, thank you for your review and feedback, and for caring enough to post it. - John

10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Growing company with strong culture

Mar 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Had the opportunity to work with some talented, hard working engineers at all levels of seniority. - Strong company culture that fosters respect within teams with a huge emphasis on strong teamwork and willingness to help each other. - Solid place to start for a new grad because of the fast paced work environment that encourages to look at problems differently and think outside your comfort zone. - Management learns from mistakes and addresses the pains of a growing organization by taking initiatives to have a scalable growth. (Ex. Hiring more senior engineers and managers). - Amazing perks and benefits.

Cons

- There seems to be a huge disconnect between the commercial and the engineering side in terms of processes, workflows and expectations. - Seems to have very little emphasis on QA and testing strategies for the products/solutions. - Employees have the opportunity to get gym memberships for very cheap but there should be more initiatives focusing on work-life balance from the management. - More emphasis should be put on training and learning opportunities for the employees, especially at the junior level. - There should be more mentoring/coaching to support career growth of employees.

SVP, Engineering

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback on your experiences with IX. It was great to read of your respect for the talent at all levels, the culture of teamwork, learning environment, and responsive management. Your words inspire us to protect all of those positives as we continue to scale - and not take our eye off the ball. With respect to some of your concerns - some of your themes are very much on our list on known issues we're working through addressing. Forging stronger cross-functional connections between the technical and commercial teams may (to your point) have taken a temporary back seat to forging stronger connections within Engineering as we built out our senior technical ranks in 2017 - but we're now working very hard on better company-wide communications to get all on the same page. 2018 is also a year where we're investing in learning at a new level - with meaningful L&D budget allocated for everyone in the company. Now that there's stronger senior leadership bench strength in Engineering - we'll be in a position to have leaders mentor junior staff on optimizing how those L&D investments, along with on-the-job learning, will facilitate career progress that our team members will be excited about. We're always looking to improve our QA capabilities and will be investing there this year also. Finally with respect to work/life balance - we're looking to staff IX at a level where nobody is at risk of burnout. We move fast, and will continue to need to do so, but it shouldn't be at the expense of work/life balance. Maybe you'll return to us and help us make strides! Thank you, M.

11. 1.0
      Former Employee

High turnover rate, inexperienced management and coworkers

Dec 1, 2017 - Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free snacks Free lunch Free swag sometimes

Cons

No work-life balance Little respect for working parents Immature, inexperienced hires fresh out of university No mentoring Weird family business dynamic Managers without people skills or training (lots of internal hires and promotion) Little to no experienced senior people

10 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director, Engineering

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I don’t know how long you’ve been away - but in 2017 we’re delighted to have hired a very strong new group of Engineering leaders. While we’re proud to have a great many high potential recent grads on the team - we’re very happy to now have more mentors in place. We’re now in the process of optimizing the organization of this great new senior talent - so we guard against tripping over one another. We’ve also come a long way in terms of organizing team/work in a way that provides good room for work-life balance. I’m sorry that your experience seems to have been different. The family dynamic is a feature, not a bug, in the view of colleagues with whom I’ve discussed the topic - as it supports our ability to play the long game on relationships (employees and clients) as well as with the long-term vision for the business. In 2016, this stable ownership footing likely allowed us to not only weather the storm that hit a lot of ad tech, but grow substantially while many other companies in our sector (in many cases VC-backed) contracted. Hope that your current role is meeting your needs very well. --Chris

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews