Index Exchange Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 25 of over 176 reviews

4.1
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively)(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company

Jan 19, 2021 - Data Engineer in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance Great team & management

Cons

Need to work with old tech

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Dec 30, 2019 - Software Developer Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is great for learning and growing. All engineers are willing to help. CEO is great, no attitude or ego to him. Work life balance and flexibility is really appericated by the engineers along with the great perks.

Cons

It would be great to infuse newer technology and frameworks and shift from the large chunks of legacy code

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company that takes care of it's employees

Apr 25, 2019 - Engineering in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

6 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Would recommend

Feb 28, 2020 - Support in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance, great benefits, free snacks

Cons

Things are changing very fast, lack of transparency of changes

5. 5.0

A great place to work

Aug 2, 2019 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair compensation, great work-life balance + perks, friendly + engaged staff, dynamic environment

Cons

Technical debt presents headwinds to onboarding of new engineers

6. 5.0

Great working environment

Feb 26, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Work-life balance is great now. There were problems before but now are long gone. * Flexible hours * No toxic office culture, young atmosphere. * Managers are nice and knowledgeable, lots of support * Lots of people to learn from, great diversity * Transparency, frequent internal AMAs with senior management, open doors policy * Frequent events, weekly paid recreational activities off site (soccer field, volleyball etc)

Cons

* Some of the Toronto teams are not downtown (if you like downtown)

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people to work with

Nov 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with Great work-life balance People are approachable and friendly

Cons

Below market salary Tech debt slowing progress

8. 5.0

Set up for success

May 26, 2015 - Exchange Analyst in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Index Exchange for nearly two years, and from the very beginning I was placed in an environment that allowed me to positively impact the team. Every initiative I had the opportunity to take was very visibly transformed into an actionable influence, and it is very validating to see the fruits of your labour pay off so quickly. I'm surrounded by very intelligent people who are willing to teach, as well as learn, and to me that is a very positive characteristic to look for in a company. On top of this, it is an excellent work-life balance. Work hard, do your best to go above and beyond and get the job done, which for me is huge (I'm not a fan of the old-school mentality where more hours spent = harder worker).

Cons

Growing pains. When I first joined, my immediate team was comprised of 8 people. The company has grown significantly, and this has required everyone to learn how to adapt to these new conditions. Growth is not a bad problem to have, but I point this out because this might not be an environment suitable for anyone. To work here, you need to be able to wear different hats, and have to be ready to take initiative when you see something that could be improved. Frustrations here are starting to dimish as the company finds its groove, and for those who are self-starters, this may not be a con but rather an engaging environment.

8 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that truly cares about their employees!

May 14, 2015 - Exchange Analyst in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Hire intelligent, fun people many of whom have been here for years as they believe in the product - Excellent product with heavy tech infrastructure (the same cannot be said for the competitive set) - Easy to sell the product because you know it will deliver - Flat organization which allows for a lot of face time with management - Recognition when you do good work and lots of feedback on how to improve - Great office location downtown Toronto - Good work-life balance - The NYC team comes and visits quarterly for summits to ensure we are all on the same page

Cons

- Many of my colleagues work in other offices so you have to work harder to stay in sync - If you can't work independently or be a self starter this isn't the place for you - A lot of self taught work, more formalized training would be an asset to growing offices outside of HQ

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Huge strides in making engineering culture better, but still a long way to go for senior management

May 3, 2018 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work perks, benefits, work life balance. Definitely a place where you can make a name for yourself, and grow. - A lot of cool technical problems of scale that aren't found anywhere else, with the tools and resources to experiment and do so. - Has also improved a lot in terms of engineering management. A lot of senior leadership has entered, injecting fresh ideas and modern practices. It's a lot better than it was a year ago. - Competitive salary.

Cons

- Lack of senior technical expertise. They're trying their best to address it, but hiring senior engineers are deterred by the lack of technical knowledge from the internal recruiters, and boring task of maintenance as opposed to building. - A lack of emotional intelligence from the old guard management. New management is great, but many of the old managers don't admit when they're wrong or don't know something when they should, which leads to a lot of office politics and gossip, and poisons company culture. No channel of feedback is provided for engineers to these managers, nor is it taken seriously.

1 person found this review helpful

Index Exchange Response

Director, Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re very happy that you recognize the significant effort we’re undertaking to redefine our engineering culture, and that overall you feel positive about Index. Our company has experienced explosive growth over the past few years and that has come with its share of growing pains, both in terms of technology and culture. This year we’re investing heavily in the health and scalability of our technology in preparation for aggressive feature development. To me it’s exciting that we’re doing things many companies never get a chance to do: paying down technical debt and re-architecting and re-writing major parts of our software to prime us for even more growth and for a smoother development process. We’re also very active on the hiring front and working hard to address our need for senior technical talent in order to help us move forward faster. The growth of the company requires growth in our leaders, and that’s something we both encourage and support. We sometimes need input to help inform and guide that growth though. I can assure you that we genuinely appreciate your feedback, that it is being taken very seriously and that we will make good use of it. I’m sorry you feel that Engineers have no channel for providing feedback on Managers and TPOs. This is most definitely not our intention. We have a very real and safe open door policy. We will take immediate steps to ensure everyone understands their options for safely providing feedback on leadership. Again, thank you for your review and feedback, and for caring enough to post it. - John

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews