Index Exchange Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Apr 23, 2020

3.8
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "IX is a toxic work environment, don't work here if you care about,your career or your mental health(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very flat structure - entry level roles get to work/collaborate with C level executives - Transparent environment - hold monthly company wide meetings to share what each division is currently focusing on - Great work culture, very casual and friendly - Flexible work hours and free food

Cons

- Growing pains with building out upper management, though there has been definite progress in the last 6 months - Career pathing could be improved - Team onboarding could be improved

"A great company to work for if you want to stagnate your technical skills and abilities"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and great perks, such as catered lunches, free snacks, and gym memberships. Frequent team outings and company-wide events. Management and process improved during my time with the company but could be improved upon still. A lot of nice people in most departments.

Cons

Note: This is for the Toronto location of the engineering department. Nepotism, company politics, and poor cross-departmental communication are very rampant in this company. If you want to grow your career and not worry about being caught in company politics, go elsewhere. The Toronto tech scene is thriving, and IX does not play a role in that. Management and leadership team lack in management skills, industry knowledge, and communication skills. They have hired some great new managers to help the team scale, but unfortunately, the majority of senior and tenured employees lack experience and are behind in what is happening in the tech scene, have poor communication skills and low emotional intelligence. The most disappointing part is that the culture of unwillingness to learn and communicate has trickled down and is perpetuated by employees who have been working with the company for a while. As a result, the tech stack is extremely outdated and the company lacks innovation. People want to stick to what they know because they are afraid to try anything that would hurt their egos. People would rather be right than actually do what is best for the product. The process has improved in my time working at Index, but still has a long way to go. There was very little thought and planning into the products we were building. It doesn't help that there is very little communication between the business and engineering teams. It's very common for projects to pivot mid-way or not even ship at all, because of poor teamwork, planning, and resourcing. Additionally, the company culture is awful. The HR and people team don't do anything to help their employees and are willfully ignorant of how it truly is them. The HR and people team are just like IX's social media presence - all style, no substance. How the company is portrayed in social media is extremely deceptive and only represents a portion of the company. Index does not encourage diversity of thought, backgrounds, or opinions either. Almost everyone comes from the same cookie cutter background. Voicing your opinion that is against the status quo is extremely frowned upon. The company was heading in a right direction in actually listening to their employees' concerns; however, when employees actually started voicing their opinion, they changed how people can communicate their concerns in a way that actually discouraged them to do so. Index is definitely experiencing growing pains and that's understandable -- however, whenever Index takes a step forward in improving as a company, they'll take another two steps back.

Index Exchange Response

April 30, 2018SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your review. I regret that you didn't have a more positive experience at IX. My colleagues in Management and HR are committed to ensuring every employee has a positive experience with us, and we take feedback seriously. While several of the concerns you raised had valid basis in my view, where our views would seem to differ is on the extent of the issues, and on the level of commitment to making positive changes. Over the last couple of years I've seen this leadership team get out of its comfort zone to embrace an influx of talented new leaders bringing fresh and diverse thinking, leverage new technologies to pull well ahead of our competitors, and humbly share the problems we're looking to solve internally to continue to improve the employee experience. While we are far from done, our commitment to improving and embracing change has never wavered. We hope you have a satisfying role today. Thank you again for your feedback, and best of luck in your future endeavours. M

"Unique Company, Unique Experience"

in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange for more than a year

Pros

Free lunches, great benefits, flexible hours, open-concept office, etc. - standard benefits/perks most tech companies have. The story of the company, the leadership and its amazing growth are what makes it unique. Definitely different than other companies in the space in terms of how it has evolved and grown - teenage founder, no VC, key pivot into a full-fledged tech company, organic growth, fully private with no need/aspirations to go public/get acquired. The growth in both revenue and headcount is absolutely insane. Working environment is intense but rewarding - they aren't kidding when they say 'fast paced'. From the ceo on down some of the smartest people and best leaders I have worked with. I have been given more room and support here to try new and different approaches than any other company. Expectations are high but there's absolutely room to fail and learn as well. I have yet to have a day where I have been bored. Has been a great magnet for Ad Tech talent across all teams/offices - lots of great people to learn from.

Cons

A lot of what needs to happen next is already in progress. No company is without 'growing pains' and IX has had their share. Huge project currently underway to shore up management in Engineering - this has completely changed how Engineering is run (for the better). They've been very lucky to bring in 6+ experienced and amazing leaders in 2017. Still lots of work to do across the company in terms of growing up, formalizing policies and processes (both big and small) and getting ready to continue to scale the company. Like all growing companies IX struggles with how to stay loyal to long-time employees but also usher in change. This very localized to certain teams/departments but something they'll need to continue to address as they grow and their needs evolve. Not a lot of formal frameworks for learning - both internally and in a professional development sense. Internal knowledge transfer, onboarding, etc seems to be a work in progress - so you need to be comfortable approaching the right people to fill in the gaps. Same can be said for review/feedbacks - no standard exists across the company and thus it can vary from team to team. Core focus on Engineering can sometimes come at the expense of properly growing other teams or even related disciplines within Engineering.

Continue reading

"Tech company perfectly positioned to grow and thrive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being a recent hire, I've been able to see Index from an outside perspective and they are uniquely positioned to succeed in this market. From motivated team members, good technology, inspiring leadership, and great vision, it's a company I look forward to growing with.

Cons

Growing pains are present but management is very aware of challenges and are already investing in solutions. I see this as a side effect of growth and there are far more opportunities because of it.

Continue reading

"Great place for software engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Index Exchange is a fast growing company, I've worked there for nearly 3 years and I'm constantly seeing new faces. There are plenty of hard technical problems to challenge an engineering mind. After an initial training period to get past an admittedly steep learning curve, you're given a lot of autonomy to perform your job functions as you see fit. You're here to solve challenging problems and not punch a clock. Hours are flexible. Good work is rewarded. Management is approachable and sits in the same area as their workers with the same equipment and tools, they are part of the team rather than a separate entity. Coworkers are friendly and are the type of people you'd like to hang out with outside of work. Management does look to put you in a position to do your best work, if you aren't happy on one team they will work with you to find a roll that you will enjoy. The lunchroom is full of talk about the latest movies, what's on t.v or playing video games, magic and Dungeons & Dragons in the evenings.

Cons

There are some growing pains: The main building is under construction. The main parking lot is full, the secondary parking lot is a good walk away from the offices. Free Snacks. Technically that's a perk, but you've got to be careful about your eating habits with all that sugar.

"Exciting place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Fast growing, Innovative Company Get the chance to be part of innovative new projects, and re-tool existing products with modern techniques. You can leave your mark on the software and you won't feel as if you have made no contribution. - Flexible Salary Salary is negotiable and re-negotiable yearly on a merit basis. - Amazing Benefits Package One of the best benefits package in Ontario. You can expect to be fully covered for all your needs, and then some. Even covers Optometry!

Cons

- Growing pains The company is in an active state of growth and so some policies and procedures are in flux. This can create confusion at times. - Requires Autonomy You will be expected, at least to some degree, to be able to perform your tasks with minimal aid. Resources are tight, so expect to have to take care of yourself at least some of the time. On the other hand, this means your effort is highly valued, and every day the situation only improves.

"Set up for success"

Current Employee - Exchange Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

I have been at Index Exchange for nearly two years, and from the very beginning I was placed in an environment that allowed me to positively impact the team. Every initiative I had the opportunity to take was very visibly transformed into an actionable influence, and it is very validating to see the fruits of your labour pay off so quickly. I'm surrounded by very intelligent people who are willing to teach, as well as learn, and to me that is a very positive characteristic to look for in a company. On top of this, it is an excellent work-life balance. Work hard, do your best to go above and beyond and get the job done, which for me is huge (I'm not a fan of the old-school mentality where more hours spent = harder worker).

Cons

Growing pains. When I first joined, my immediate team was comprised of 8 people. The company has grown significantly, and this has required everyone to learn how to adapt to these new conditions. Growth is not a bad problem to have, but I point this out because this might not be an environment suitable for anyone. To work here, you need to be able to wear different hats, and have to be ready to take initiative when you see something that could be improved. Frustrations here are starting to dimish as the company finds its groove, and for those who are self-starters, this may not be a con but rather an engaging environment.

Continue reading
  8. "1 year in, so far so good!"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented teams, amazing clients and product, being with a true market leader. Stocked kitchens, catered lunches, fully paid health benefits. Very transparent and "down to earth" leadership.

Cons

They have been around for a while, with little growth but now are in hyper growth. Lots of growing pains that any startup will go through, but on the plus side, great technology, established A-lister clients and no debt.

"Pretty Amazing Experience So Far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

A 5 star review for me is extremely rare, but here's why (at least on the team I'm in): - Friendly and environment where you can get to know your coworkers without having the constant pressure of "doing your job" like a robot every single day. Everyone that I have met at the company have been nothing but amazingly nice. - The work challenges you and pushes you to learn more about everything from the industry, all the way down to the technical implementation of the technology. The company offers tons of training on various topics and will ensure that they do their best to accommodate whatever it is you want to learn at the company. - Amazing benefits all around. From health, to commuter benefits, gym benefits, etc. - Pretty nice & modern office with higher than average equipment - Catered lunches - Lots of swag handed at a fun company events during the holidays - My team has been extremely supportive and it's the closest I've been to coworkers - Direct manager is willing to guide you through all of the questions you have and extremely patient when it comes to understanding adtech concepts. I work on a more technical team so it's important to know everything from a high level and deeper level

Cons

- Lower than average salary. Even though the initial offer is decent as a starting salary, after doing a bit more research, the salary for my current position at this company is MUCH lower than our core competitors. Even though the benefits are great, the salary is a LARGE part of why people stay. - Upper leadership (executive team and CEO) are great and extremely friendly. Probably some of the nicest people I have ever met. However, there's a HUGE disconnect between what upper leadership is trying to do holistically and the reality on the ground with the teams that actually execute. Leadership need to stop hiring more "managers" and "directors" and hire more people who actually do the work and gain feedback from them. - Office politics. There isn't THAT much and I don't believe there's anything there to hinder your career path or progression, but it can feel like certain people hold more authority in a room because of politics - The company is growing FAST and typical growing pains of a company are always challenging. Great for people who want to jump into opportunity, horrible for people who rely and are comfortable with a stable organizational structure. We've lost some extremely talented teammates because of this, but the company is doing great.

Continue reading
  10. "Supportive Work Environment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Very supportive of working parents - Innovative and at the forefront of industry technology - Actively working to make things more organised and function better for employees and customers

Cons

- Typical growing pains - Would benefit for more hires from the industry to get diverse opinions when it comes to decision making

Found 16 reviews