Index Exchange Employee Reviews about "free lunches"

Updated Sep 8, 2020

Found 15 of over 189 reviews

4.2
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively)(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Tech

35.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Index Exchange~954292
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "free lunches"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great environment Very nice company

Jul 15, 2019 - Facilities Assistant in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch,drinks and snacks One by one meetings Great management organization Flexible schedule Free parking

Cons

I didn’t see any until now.

2. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great work environment

Sep 8, 2020 - Software Engineer in North York, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great mentors - Great work culture - Free lunches - Treated as a full-time employee in terms of responsibility - Co-workers very friendly

Cons

- Winter commute using public transit maybe difficult depending on location

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to start your career, excellent place to stagnate your skillset.

Aug 13, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively). Engineering wise: - they own their own metal, and it's pretty cool to have thousands of ad servers at your fingertips. - It's a good place to get started as a fresh grad, they'll get you on your feet. - A good deal of the engineers at IX are awesome, awesome people who are really good at what they do.

Cons

- A legacy Perl codebase, lots of projects that go no where (certain bird-named projects fit this criteria) - Monolith doesn't even begin to describe their codebase. - Office politics are real and incredibly demoralizing. - A legacy Perl codebase. They've been trying to move some parts of their system to Golang for years now, but that hasn't taken off and it is no where close to being a priority on anyones radar. - Engineers are codemonkeys who get little-to-no recognition. Business drives the business, and engineering is just there to "take too long to accomplish what we tell them to do" apparently. - A culture of "we are a family" (hint: no company is your family, and any company that calls itself your family is lying to your face). - A culture of a lot of grunts, and a few "superstar" engineers who are promoted heavily by some managers who do not know what they're doing and thus do nothing but hinge their own successes on the efforts of these so-called "superstars". PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics. The "superstars" do play the office politic game, and are treated well. - A culture of work/ideas being stolen, who promptly pull rank and run off with the credit. There are snakes in the weeds, be careful. - The management team varies heavily - a lot of them are decent/great people who care about the success and wellbeing of those under them. While others provide little to no value to their direct employees, let alone the company as a whole - 0 tech savvy, and 0 industry knowledge, and can talk lots without really saying anything. Senior management seems to Know this and does nothing about it, it can be Really disheartening. - Heavy disconnect between engineering and business/product. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy C-suite engineers seem to enjoy stoking fear in people, have sizable egos, and are on a Massive power-trip. - Incredibly shady business practices and lying to their engineering department to build out these questionable features (ie, google "index exchange bid caching"), but don't worry "we are a family". - At its core - it's an advertising company that's invading the privacy of people around the world in order to build profiles on them, in order to sell them targeted ads. The same can be said for facebook/google/etc - so do with that as you will. It didn't sit right with me. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy decisions drive engineering to this day, and fixing them will never happen as the money printers must never be stopped. - Infighting and rudeness/anger between Montreal and Toronto engineering departments. How can IX be a family if their engineering departments take every opportunity to assign blame, shift responsibilities, and generally be vitriolic.

15 people found this review helpful

Senior Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you feel Index Exchange is a great place to start your career. Our products and technology are the cornerstone of our company, and we invest heavily in developing our engineering team so that we can provide the best experience for our customers while ensuring the work is rewarding for our employees. Together we are building for the future with the majority of our platform teams dedicated to delivering the basis of our new architecture, enabling other teams to follow in the coming months. We have implemented numerous vehicles to facilitate feedback from our teams including 1:1 discussions with managers, company-wide anonymous employee surveys, Q&A, and open dialogue sessions with our People team. This allows us to continually iterate and improve the employee experience. We will continue to identify all opportunities to refine our approach as we continue to grow as a company.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company that takes care of it's employees

Apr 25, 2019 - Engineering in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and lots to learn

Mar 10, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great coworkers who are willing to teach, mentor, and collaborate - Managers who care about your career development and create goals for you to achieve them - friendly and inclusive culture - lots of swag from projects and orientation - free lunch (in some offices)

Cons

- divided between business and engineering - slow to react issues (processes and culture) - pay can be improved

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Intern

Cool place to work

Feb 27, 2019 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, free breakfast, good people

Cons

projects can be boring, depending on what team you get placed on

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

High turnover rate, inexperienced management and coworkers

Dec 1, 2017 - Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free snacks Free lunch Free swag sometimes

Cons

No work-life balance Little respect for working parents Immature, inexperienced hires fresh out of university No mentoring Weird family business dynamic Managers without people skills or training (lots of internal hires and promotion) Little to no experienced senior people

10 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director, Engineering

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I don’t know how long you’ve been away - but in 2017 we’re delighted to have hired a very strong new group of Engineering leaders. While we’re proud to have a great many high potential recent grads on the team - we’re very happy to now have more mentors in place. We’re now in the process of optimizing the organization of this great new senior talent - so we guard against tripping over one another. We’ve also come a long way in terms of organizing team/work in a way that provides good room for work-life balance. I’m sorry that your experience seems to have been different. The family dynamic is a feature, not a bug, in the view of colleagues with whom I’ve discussed the topic - as it supports our ability to play the long game on relationships (employees and clients) as well as with the long-term vision for the business. In 2016, this stable ownership footing likely allowed us to not only weather the storm that hit a lot of ad tech, but grow substantially while many other companies in our sector (in many cases VC-backed) contracted. Hope that your current role is meeting your needs very well. --Chris

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Just say "No" to working here!

Nov 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enticing, modern work space. Free lunches & anytime snacks. Don't let these things fool you. Some people are highly skilled and smart, but sadly confined by drama.

Cons

IX has a lot of seemingly great people, but the company is sadly ruined by a strong minority who are dramatic, like gossip, are uncooperative, complain and fiercely do not adapt to new ways of working. Also, this difficult behavior is unfortunately supported by some poor managers. Company acknowledges that they need to make improvements and progress, but when you try and implement things, they ironically shut you down. HR does nothing in the way of creating internal programs for employees to support change management and new ways of working, and reduce resistance, nor invests in enhancing the culture of the company. Some people are "comfortable" in their jobs with no motivation to strive further, and are lazy and slow. Some also take things too personally, don't manage their emotions, or focus on working even a little harder or more efficiently without breaking down, calling in sick, etc. Product is a department to avoid. No support. Lots of gossip and drama. Index says they are pro remote work and have the tools for this, but that only works with people who have effective communication skills, and Index lacks greatly in this area. Upper management is non responsive and unhelpful to employees in general.

13 people found this review helpful

SVP, Engineering

We regret that your experience during your short tenure with us wasn't as you would have hoped. We wish you the very best in your career ahead. With respect to the specifics you shared, while we're a work in progress as a rapidly scaling organization, your views do not reflect my experiences or those of the many colleagues with whom I work closely every day. In my long experience working with this exceptional team - the organization has a very low tolerance for drama/gossip as neither are additive to the positive work environment we work hard to nurture. Thank you.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

It's a mess

Jul 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The perks come in the form of free lunches everyday, and fully stocked kitchen. Employee benefits include health & dental insurance, gym membership, RRSP matching. Fun team outings. People are generally nice and friendly and, are willing to help each other.

Cons

The Engineering department is a mess and even the leadership team has conceded there's still a lot of work to be done in that area. So don't be fooled by their social media and promo videos - reality paints a different picture. Deadline driven projects are set by people at the top without consulting the engineering team. They normally just pass it down to engineers with the expectation that they are just going to do whatever it takes to complete the project. It is completely normal to see people having to stay late at the office, or deploy to production after office hours, or even be at the office over a whole weekend during a snowstorm. In the rare occurrence that the team gets a chance to do project planning, we are simply showed an Excel sheet with a list of features which nobody has any idea about. We get a very brief description of each feature from the manager and then required to give an estimate on how long it would take to complete them - there is no Agile estimation techniques involved at all. Furthermore, engineers do not work off Product Requirements Documents simply because none exist. On every project I've worked on, some requirements were either unclear, missing or keep changing. I've even seen requirements change on the day of deployment! The engineers are always scrambling to meet unrealistic deadlines, and fix the numerous fires (production issues). In many cases those fires are a direct consequence of cutting corners during development and testing. Over time, there has been a huge amount of technical debt accumulated and there is always a plan(in theory) to address that debt but inevitably get forgotten. In addition, there is no QA team - engineering teams are responsible for their own testing. That could still work in theory except that most people have never gotten proper training in Test. The automated test suite has not been maintained properly for ages and is now in limbo. There is no stress testing and it's not surprising to see the production system choke up a few times. I have also heard accounts from other teams where they were told to skip testing altogether so as to meet the deployment deadline. As for my team, we were told by the manager on several occasions to complete testing AFTER deployment is done! Upper management team lacks vision and experience at managing as most of them come from a tech background. The CEO himself was forced to step in and act as a kind of product owner for the engineering teams - this is something that you would expect at a brand new start up, not at a company boasting 300+ employees. Managers/VP's always blame the lack of communication whenever something does not go well, but the truth is good engineering practices are simply non-existent at Index Exchange. Projects can also be scrapped at any stage, not because the company is so disruptive in its industry like they claim, but because there is no foresight and the inability to stick to their road map. One last thing to note is the low base salary.

16 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director, Engineering

Thanks for the review. As a recently hired member of the management team I can empathize with the challenges you’ve experienced, and I know that it has been a serious topic of discussion and more importantly – action for management. Just in the last few months alone, we have hired a number of great Engineering Managers with extensive agile engineering experience. We’ve all been asked to bring our experience to the table, to help identify challenges and participate in improving them. We have kicked off our first phase of agile training, initiated new Epic / Story requirements expectations, and started implementing more agile ceremonies. This week in fact, I started working with my teams on story point estimation, and implementing proper retrospectives. As a growing and nimble engineering organization, I appreciate the opportunity to work in a flexible environment, and to being able to contribute to establishing just the right amount of process as we rapidly grow to meet the needs of our business, and am looking forward to the improvements to come. Chris

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unique Company, Unique Experience

Jul 12, 2017 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, great benefits, flexible hours, open-concept office, etc. - standard benefits/perks most tech companies have. The story of the company, the leadership and its amazing growth are what makes it unique. Definitely different than other companies in the space in terms of how it has evolved and grown - teenage founder, no VC, key pivot into a full-fledged tech company, organic growth, fully private with no need/aspirations to go public/get acquired. The growth in both revenue and headcount is absolutely insane. Working environment is intense but rewarding - they aren't kidding when they say 'fast paced'. From the ceo on down some of the smartest people and best leaders I have worked with. I have been given more room and support here to try new and different approaches than any other company. Expectations are high but there's absolutely room to fail and learn as well. I have yet to have a day where I have been bored. Has been a great magnet for Ad Tech talent across all teams/offices - lots of great people to learn from.

Cons

A lot of what needs to happen next is already in progress. No company is without 'growing pains' and IX has had their share. Huge project currently underway to shore up management in Engineering - this has completely changed how Engineering is run (for the better). They've been very lucky to bring in 6+ experienced and amazing leaders in 2017. Still lots of work to do across the company in terms of growing up, formalizing policies and processes (both big and small) and getting ready to continue to scale the company. Like all growing companies IX struggles with how to stay loyal to long-time employees but also usher in change. This very localized to certain teams/departments but something they'll need to continue to address as they grow and their needs evolve. Not a lot of formal frameworks for learning - both internally and in a professional development sense. Internal knowledge transfer, onboarding, etc seems to be a work in progress - so you need to be comfortable approaching the right people to fill in the gaps. Same can be said for review/feedbacks - no standard exists across the company and thus it can vary from team to team. Core focus on Engineering can sometimes come at the expense of properly growing other teams or even related disciplines within Engineering.

2 people found this review helpful