Index Exchange Employee Reviews about "free lunches"

Updated Sep 8, 2020

Found 15 of over 176 reviews

4.1
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively)(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free lunches"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great environment Very nice company

Jul 15, 2019 - Facilities Assistant in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch,drinks and snacks One by one meetings Great management organization Flexible schedule Free parking

Cons

I didn’t see any until now.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to start your career, excellent place to stagnate your skillset.

Aug 13, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively). Engineering wise: - they own their own metal, and it's pretty cool to have thousands of ad servers at your fingertips. - It's a good place to get started as a fresh grad, they'll get you on your feet. - A good deal of the engineers at IX are awesome, awesome people who are really good at what they do.

Cons

- A legacy Perl codebase, lots of projects that go no where (certain bird-named projects fit this criteria) - Monolith doesn't even begin to describe their codebase. - Office politics are real and incredibly demoralizing. - A legacy Perl codebase. They've been trying to move some parts of their system to Golang for years now, but that hasn't taken off and it is no where close to being a priority on anyones radar. - Engineers are codemonkeys who get little-to-no recognition. Business drives the business, and engineering is just there to "take too long to accomplish what we tell them to do" apparently. - A culture of "we are a family" (hint: no company is your family, and any company that calls itself your family is lying to your face). - A culture of a lot of grunts, and a few "superstar" engineers who are promoted heavily by some managers who do not know what they're doing and thus do nothing but hinge their own successes on the efforts of these so-called "superstars". PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics. The "superstars" do play the office politic game, and are treated well. - A culture of work/ideas being stolen, who promptly pull rank and run off with the credit. There are snakes in the weeds, be careful. - The management team varies heavily - a lot of them are decent/great people who care about the success and wellbeing of those under them. While others provide little to no value to their direct employees, let alone the company as a whole - 0 tech savvy, and 0 industry knowledge, and can talk lots without really saying anything. Senior management seems to Know this and does nothing about it, it can be Really disheartening. - Heavy disconnect between engineering and business/product. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy C-suite engineers seem to enjoy stoking fear in people, have sizable egos, and are on a Massive power-trip. - Incredibly shady business practices and lying to their engineering department to build out these questionable features (ie, google "index exchange bid caching"), but don't worry "we are a family". - At its core - it's an advertising company that's invading the privacy of people around the world in order to build profiles on them, in order to sell them targeted ads. The same can be said for facebook/google/etc - so do with that as you will. It didn't sit right with me. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy decisions drive engineering to this day, and fixing them will never happen as the money printers must never be stopped. - Infighting and rudeness/anger between Montreal and Toronto engineering departments. How can IX be a family if their engineering departments take every opportunity to assign blame, shift responsibilities, and generally be vitriolic.

14 people found this review helpful

Senior Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you feel Index Exchange is a great place to start your career. Our products and technology are the cornerstone of our company, and we invest heavily in developing our engineering team so that we can provide the best experience for our customers while ensuring the work is rewarding for our employees. Together we are building for the future with the majority of our platform teams dedicated to delivering the basis of our new architecture, enabling other teams to follow in the coming months. We have implemented numerous vehicles to facilitate feedback from our teams including 1:1 discussions with managers, company-wide anonymous employee surveys, Q&A, and open dialogue sessions with our People team. This allows us to continually iterate and improve the employee experience. We will continue to identify all opportunities to refine our approach as we continue to grow as a company.

3. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great work environment

Sep 8, 2020 - Software Engineer in North York, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great mentors - Great work culture - Free lunches - Treated as a full-time employee in terms of responsibility - Co-workers very friendly

Cons

- Winter commute using public transit maybe difficult depending on location

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company that takes care of it's employees

Apr 25, 2019 - Engineering in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and lots to learn

Mar 10, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great coworkers who are willing to teach, mentor, and collaborate - Managers who care about your career development and create goals for you to achieve them - friendly and inclusive culture - lots of swag from projects and orientation - free lunch (in some offices)

Cons

- divided between business and engineering - slow to react issues (processes and culture) - pay can be improved

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Intern

Cool place to work

Feb 27, 2019 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, free breakfast, good people

Cons

projects can be boring, depending on what team you get placed on

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Just say "No" to working here!

Nov 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enticing, modern work space. Free lunches & anytime snacks. Don't let these things fool you. Some people are highly skilled and smart, but sadly confined by drama.

Cons

IX has a lot of seemingly great people, but the company is sadly ruined by a strong minority who are dramatic, like gossip, are uncooperative, complain and fiercely do not adapt to new ways of working. Also, this difficult behavior is unfortunately supported by some poor managers. Company acknowledges that they need to make improvements and progress, but when you try and implement things, they ironically shut you down. HR does nothing in the way of creating internal programs for employees to support change management and new ways of working, and reduce resistance, nor invests in enhancing the culture of the company. Some people are "comfortable" in their jobs with no motivation to strive further, and are lazy and slow. Some also take things too personally, don't manage their emotions, or focus on working even a little harder or more efficiently without breaking down, calling in sick, etc. Product is a department to avoid. No support. Lots of gossip and drama. Index says they are pro remote work and have the tools for this, but that only works with people who have effective communication skills, and Index lacks greatly in this area. Upper management is non responsive and unhelpful to employees in general.

13 people found this review helpful

SVP, Engineering

We regret that your experience during your short tenure with us wasn't as you would have hoped. We wish you the very best in your career ahead. With respect to the specifics you shared, while we're a work in progress as a rapidly scaling organization, your views do not reflect my experiences or those of the many colleagues with whom I work closely every day. In my long experience working with this exceptional team - the organization has a very low tolerance for drama/gossip as neither are additive to the positive work environment we work hard to nurture. Thank you.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Index Exchange is Casale Media. Read the reviews. Stay away.

Jul 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, unlimited snacks and drinks, amazing espresso machine. Foosball table, ping pong table, basketball net out back.

Cons

- Dimly lit "open concept" work environment. Window blinds were always closed, lighting was never sufficient. Nothing sucks your soul faster than a dark work environment that makes your eyes tired and you forget what sunlight looks like. - You're judged on the time spent at your desk. Go to the washroom too often? Too many breaks? Spent too much time playing foosball with your manager? That's time you owe working. Coming in at 9? Why so late? Leaving at 5? Why so early? This isn't your 9 to 5. It's your 9 to life. If you don't look like you're working, they assume you're not and you feel the wrath. - Management forces you to give presentations on your knowledge of the company's product or project documentation. There is no trust that you can deliver on your share of a project. - Low salary, promises of big raises that never come. You will never meet the expectations they set for you so they can justify never giving you a raise. You can never eat enough snacks or free lunches to make up for the below industry standard salary. - You're micromanaged. Heavily micromanaged. I don't know one sane person who enjoys this.

32 people found this review helpful

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Your title comment that Index Exchange is Casale Media is actually not true. Index Exchange is a new company, with a new leadership team, in an exciting, growing and challenging industry with amazing opportunities for everyone who works here. We care about our staff as is evident in the efforts we make to share information, openly communicate about anything, participate on all levels with everyone whether it is to join in a meeting, chat one on one to see how you’re doing or just share lunch together. We listen. It is our goal to help all employees be successful, to help them achieve their personal goals as well as those of the company. We regularly conduct salary surveys to ensure we are competitive and anyone that meets the goals for their role is absolutely rewarded accordingly. We also make sure that the expectations are clear so that everyone has the same opportunities to grow in all aspects of their job. We have an open door for all staff to speak freely and voice their concerns without fear of repercussion. The things you mention that affected you so negatively were never brought to my attention personally by you. Perhaps if you would have shared them, we could have helped clear up the misunderstandings. I’m sorry that your experience with us was not a good one and I wish you well.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unique Company, Unique Experience

Jul 12, 2017 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, great benefits, flexible hours, open-concept office, etc. - standard benefits/perks most tech companies have. The story of the company, the leadership and its amazing growth are what makes it unique. Definitely different than other companies in the space in terms of how it has evolved and grown - teenage founder, no VC, key pivot into a full-fledged tech company, organic growth, fully private with no need/aspirations to go public/get acquired. The growth in both revenue and headcount is absolutely insane. Working environment is intense but rewarding - they aren't kidding when they say 'fast paced'. From the ceo on down some of the smartest people and best leaders I have worked with. I have been given more room and support here to try new and different approaches than any other company. Expectations are high but there's absolutely room to fail and learn as well. I have yet to have a day where I have been bored. Has been a great magnet for Ad Tech talent across all teams/offices - lots of great people to learn from.

Cons

A lot of what needs to happen next is already in progress. No company is without 'growing pains' and IX has had their share. Huge project currently underway to shore up management in Engineering - this has completely changed how Engineering is run (for the better). They've been very lucky to bring in 6+ experienced and amazing leaders in 2017. Still lots of work to do across the company in terms of growing up, formalizing policies and processes (both big and small) and getting ready to continue to scale the company. Like all growing companies IX struggles with how to stay loyal to long-time employees but also usher in change. This very localized to certain teams/departments but something they'll need to continue to address as they grow and their needs evolve. Not a lot of formal frameworks for learning - both internally and in a professional development sense. Internal knowledge transfer, onboarding, etc seems to be a work in progress - so you need to be comfortable approaching the right people to fill in the gaps. Same can be said for review/feedbacks - no standard exists across the company and thus it can vary from team to team. Core focus on Engineering can sometimes come at the expense of properly growing other teams or even related disciplines within Engineering.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Not Great

Apr 29, 2017 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good snack options and free lunches. They also do performance evaluations twice per year, which is nice. If you are a new grad looking for a job, Index is willing to hire you. It can be tough to find a job with no work experience, and there are definitely companies worse than IX. As one of the other reviews said, Index can be a decent place to start depending on what team you land on.

Cons

Most of management has been with the company for their whole career and completely lack the ability to see from other/objective viewpoints. There is a lot of micromanagement, because these higher-ups want to protect their status as "in charge". They limit technical decisions to what they are comfortable with, rather than the best fit for the situation. There's also an inexplicably large number of fires, where they try to make everyone stay late to fix the issue (which often ends up not being an issue at all). There's just a lack of respect for the engineers. It's near impossible to get fired unless you say something that they don't agree with on a personal level. Being completely incompetent is not enough. The engineers in the company are almost entirely junior, or new grads - probably somewhere around 85%. As such, there's nobody to learn from so unless you are fine with not growing and being strictly directed on how to build software, Index will not be a good fit for you.

12 people found this review helpful

SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your time with us and for this feedback. Thanks also for sharing some positive comments around the great team we're all fortunate to work with. We regret that you didn't see more growth opportunity at Index and certainly hope that others don't feel micromanaged. We've enjoyed great success as a leader in our space and micromanagement certainly wouldn't be a great way to continue innovating and stay ahead. On the leadership/mentorship front, we're very excited to be in the process of bringing on a number of exceptional and experienced Engineering Managers who are already bringing fresh perspectives, tools, and ideas to Index. This is a very positive move for both our junior staff and our tenured leaders; it was also overdue. While we've had a lot of stability in our senior team, we also take pride in constantly pushing ourselves to improve as leaders and as technologists. It's for this reason that we're delighted to welcome an influx of new management who will help us continue to think differently and create a stronger learning culture at Index.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews