Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Index Exchange is a fast growing company, I've worked there for nearly 3 years and I'm constantly seeing new faces (in 7 reviews)

• On top of this, it is an excellent work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • We are seeing substantial growth in a very short amount of time which means that we experience growing pains sometimes (in 6 reviews)

• Mass firing competent employees especially ones who have worked for longer than this re-brand (it is now its second year as Index Exchange), is awful (in 2 reviews)

"Unique Company, Unique Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, great benefits, flexible hours, open-concept office, etc. - standard benefits/perks most tech companies have. The story of the company, the leadership and its amazing growth are what makes it unique. Definitely different than other companies in the space in terms of how it has evolved and grown -
     teenage founder, no VC, key pivot into a full-fledged tech company, organic growth, fully private with no need/aspirations to go public/get acquired. The growth in both revenue and headcount is absolutely insane.

Working environment is intense but rewarding - they aren't kidding when they say 'fast paced'. From the ceo on down some of the smartest people and best leaders I have worked with. I have been given more room and support here to try new and different approaches than any other company. Expectations are high but there's absolutely room to fail and learn as well. I have yet to have a day where I have been bored. Has been a great magnet for Ad Tech talent across all teams/offices - lots of great people to learn from.

Cons

A lot of what needs to happen next is already in progress. No company is without 'growing pains' and IX has had their share. Huge project currently underway to shore up management in Engineering - this has completely changed how Engineering is run (for the better). They've been very lucky to bring in 6+ experienced and amazing leaders in 2017. Still lots of work to do across the company in terms of growing up, formalizing policies and processes (both big and small) and getting ready to continue to scale the company.

Like all growing companies IX struggles with how to stay loyal to long-time employees but also usher in change. This very localized to certain teams/departments but something they'll need to continue to address as they grow and their needs evolve.

Not a lot of formal frameworks for learning - both internally and in a professional development sense. Internal knowledge transfer, onboarding, etc seems to be a work in progress - so you need to be comfortable approaching the right people to fill in the gaps. Same can be said for review/feedbacks - no standard exists across the company and thus it can vary from team to team. Core focus on Engineering can sometimes come at the expense of properly growing other teams or even related disciplines within Engineering.

Advice to Management

Continue the recent trend of focusing on building and scaling the company in a sustainable way. Make sure leadership is aligned with the areas they excel in and hire experts to address gaps that emerge. Keep tech as your core focus and work to introduce even more strong leaders across that side of the business. Work hard to keep talent within the company and provide more defined avenues for growth. Create a professional development fund to aid in learning and advancement.

2. "Good Opportunity to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new graduate, joining a growing company like Index Exchange was a chance to understand the start-up culture and growing pains better. The company provides the opportunity to expand on current skill-sets while having multiple resources present to learn more. It also values dedication and is willing to go many extra miles for employees when necessary.

Cons

Nothing that isn't part of the usual hiccups with a growing company. Roadblocks, when identified are quickly rectified.

Advice to Management

Management is changing for the better. Recent additions bring outside experience which in a short span of time has led to many team members gaining clarity and renewed motivation.

"Beware. This company is heading downhill!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free meals and snacks. Free parking on the premises. subsidized fitness programs. company outings and barbecue events .

Cons

The company may give you free meals but they work you like a slave. Management has no regard for family time or a balance between life and work. If you call in sick,, you will be looked down upon. there is no such thing as an eight hour day. You are expected to work 2 to 3 hours more in average every day. I

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Consider life and work balance.

12 Jul, 2017 – Sr. Director, Engineering

Thank you for your honest feedback. As a recent member of the management team, I see and understand a transition occurring within the company, and much of it is fuelled by employee feedback. Since... More

"Tech company perfectly positioned to grow and thrive"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a recent hire, I've been able to see Index from an outside perspective and they are uniquely positioned to succeed in this market. From motivated team members, good technology, inspiring leadership, and great vision, it's a company I look forward to growing with.

Cons

Growing pains are present but management is very aware of challenges and are already investing in solutions. I see this as a side effect of growth and there are far more opportunities because of it.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the tech culture and stay in touch with employees.

"Not Great"

I worked at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Good snack options and free lunches. They also do performance evaluations twice per year, which is nice.

If you are a new grad looking for a job, Index is willing to hire you. It can be tough to find a job with no work experience, and there are definitely companies worse than IX. As one of the other reviews said, Index can be a decent place to start depending on what team you land on.

Cons

Most of management has been with the company for their whole career and completely lack the ability to see from other/objective viewpoints. There is a lot of micromanagement, because these higher-ups want to protect their status as "in charge". They limit technical decisions to what they are comfortable with, rather than the best fit for the situation.

There's also an inexplicably large number of fires, where they try to make everyone stay late to fix the issue (which often ends up not being an issue at all). There's just a lack of respect for the engineers.

It's near impossible to get fired unless you say something that they don't agree with on a personal level. Being completely incompetent is not enough.

The engineers in the company are almost entirely junior, or new grads - probably somewhere around 85%. As such, there's nobody to learn from so unless you are fine with not growing and being strictly directed on how to build software, Index will not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

I really don't know how you can fix the mess you've created, but I really like and respect a lot of the people at the company so I hope you do. Know that nobody believes a word that management says, because you so rarely follow through with promises. And no, free lunches and parties do not re-gain trust. Business may seem good right now, but you've lost sight of the fact that you are a software company and business, while important, is secondary in terms of continued growth and sustaining your spot in the industry. Miraculously, the competitors seem to actually be worse, but you are one technical mis-step from falling to the back of the line. So good luck, and godspeed.

4 May, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your time with us and for this feedback. Thanks also for sharing some positive comments around the great team we're all fortunate to work with. We regret that you didn't see more growth... More

"Good place to start, bad place to stay"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

opportunity to learn, easy to get involved.
    does not require too much skill to begin with, good for new graduates to gain experience.

Cons

lack of technology innovation.
    too much tedious work than interesting research and experimenting.
    slows down learning speed and self-growth.

Advice to Management

encourage employees to learn more, allow them to have more time to learn than only doing work.

7 Mar, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your feedback and review. I'm glad to hear that we're providing a good environment to gain experience. Your experience shared in "cons" rings true of our recent history. With the... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- incredible young talent with a lot of passion, unfortunate they are not being guided well
    - fast paced and growing
    - good benefits

Cons

- app and platform are built on outdated technologies
    - dissent is frowned upon by management, new employees should beware
    - inexperienced, technically inept managers (please read reviews for Casale Media to understand what I'm talking about)
    - very much a top down company
    - low base salary (however they pay overtime to encourage long hours)
    - no bonus

Advice to Management

It's a futile attempt to give any advice to management, because it will just fall on deaf ears.

"An organized and understanding company"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, employees, and benefits are great. I've been here for just under 2 months, but I've gained a lot of confidence in my abilities by being trained in project management, setting goals and utilizing tools to achieve those goals.

Cons

Take a little more time for training before pushing a new hire onto a project. A good idea would be to let the new hires join employees already working on projects to become more comfortable with their role. This will also give them a perspective of their job they won't get from training and one they'll need before deciding project goals.

Advice to Management

Keep being the employees who oversee projects and ask the important questions. It definitely helps us grow and set our priorities more accurately.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

Pros

Nice people, snacks, parking
    glassdoor asks me to add more words here, but there are no more pros!!

Cons

Young inexperienced managers and lack of senior managers and developers, work life balance is a joke, the culture is to work long hours. There is always a project that is in rush, and therefore if you are a developer in that company, your life is a disaster.

25 Apr, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your review and I agree, we do have nice people and there really are a lot more pros than you mention. I am disappointed you feel the way you do about managers and that your... More

"Great place for software engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Index Exchange is a fast growing company, I've worked there for nearly 3 years and I'm constantly seeing new faces.

There are plenty of hard technical problems to challenge an engineering mind.

After an initial training period to get past an admittedly steep learning curve, you're given a lot of autonomy to perform your job functions as you see fit. You're here to solve challenging problems and not punch a clock. Hours are flexible. Good work is rewarded.

Management is approachable and sits in the same area as their workers with the same equipment and tools, they are part of the team rather than a separate entity. Coworkers are friendly and are the type of people you'd like to hang out with outside of work.

Management does look to put you in a position to do your best work, if you aren't happy on one team they will work with you to find a roll that you will enjoy.

The lunchroom is full of talk about the latest movies, what's on t.v or playing video games, magic and Dungeons & Dragons in the evenings.

Cons

There are some growing pains: The main building is under construction. The main parking lot is full, the secondary parking lot is a good walk away from the offices.

Free Snacks. Technically that's a perk, but you've got to be careful about your eating habits with all that sugar.

Advice to Management

We should have employees officially tour some of the locations outside of their office. I've heard rumors that we now have 3 offices in the Wingold area, it would be nice to visit some of them and see what they look like.