Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Feb 12, 2020

4.1
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 17 reviews)

• "Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 15 reviews)

• "IX is a toxic work environment, don't work here if you care about,your career or your mental health(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company that takes care of it's employees"

Former Employee - Engineering in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

Index Exchange2019-04-25

"Amazing Company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Strong engineering culture that promotes collaboration and innovation. - Talented colleagues to work with and learn from. Everyone is super nice, down to earth, and willing to lend you a hand. Overall a very positive and uplifting work culture. - Index Exchange operates at a scale that very few companies in Toronto are at. Lots of opportunities to work on scalability challenges. - Constant focus on addressing tech debt and improving CI/CD. - Great Leadership. - Competitive compensation and perks.

Cons

- Only negative I can think of is some leftover legacy software systems, but Index Exchange has dedicated multiple teams to improve these and build out new platforms.

Index Exchange2020-01-11

"Great coworkers, terrible corporate culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great and friendly, nice location and office, free snacks and drinks, catered lunches on Fridays. The tech stack is pretty good too and when you're deep in code, it's a lot of fun. Competitive wages considering that the tech is pretty basic.

Cons

The corporate culture has turned into a mess in 2020. Laser focused on making more money, and not in a startup kind of way. Micromanagement is becoming rampant, engineers are losing control of process and no longer part of self-directed teams. Management wants to see demos of finished work at a ridiculous cadence -- ad hoc, at sprint review, every six weeks? They've lost trust in their employees, and that means you are absolutely going to lose your long-time employees. We lost our week-long catered lunches with two weeks' notice, and it was communicated to us in a one-paragraph email. Couldn't even bother to pay for our loved ones to attend our holiday party. We keep getting told all year that our financial targets are doing great and then they slap us in the face at our company retreat. What's next on the cutting board? If you plan to work in Toronto, you'll probably deal with less politics. If you plan to work at a satellite office, sorry to break it to you but Toronto is going to be calling the shots, and you're going to have to do things their way. Career advancement for engineers is pretty non-existent, already had people leave for that reason.

Index Exchange2020-02-05
  4. "Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern

I worked at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

The company culture is great for learning and growing. All engineers are willing to help. CEO is great, no attitude or ego to him. Work life balance and flexibility is really appericated by the engineers along with the great perks.

Cons

It would be great to infuse newer technology and frameworks and shift from the large chunks of legacy code

Index Exchange2019-12-31
  5. "Queue Titanic Theme"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you're on a team under one of four good managers you're good. Otherwise, gg. - There isn't much work to be done, so it's really chill. But I guess this is kind of also a negative because you'll be super bored and your skills will rust. The reason there's so little work is either because you're working in the legacy system which takes forever to do anything with, or because product can't make up their minds. - The majority of the people working there are friendly and fun to be around. - Aside from a certain group of teams, everyone is very supportive and there is an environment of teaching.

Cons

- Some teams have some serious toxicity issues that haven't been dealt with in the slightest. - All the good engineers are abandoning ship. - The company is becoming too product focused and ignoring the mounting tech debt. - Lots of departments outside of engineering are not willing to train people, so people who have stuck with the company and learned about the business are constantly let go in favour of people with more career experience but 0 knowledge in the space. Only reason this isn't happening in engineering is because there is a general shortage of devs in the market. - On the topic of salary, it's competitive when compared to the GTA, but lacking when comparing to other companies in the core, and falling behind fast with all the American companies who are setting up shop. - Extremely risk averse, to the point where not much is getting done. - Most social initiatives are all for the gram. No substance.

Index Exchange2019-12-30

Index Exchange Response

January 17, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

At IX, we consider all feedback to be important so we can understand the variety of experiences that our current employees are having and former employees had. We have multiple mediums including surveys, 1:1s, department meetings, and open doors for people to share their thoughts, suggestions and frustrations so they can either be addressed or explained to create better understanding. We continually encourage our team members to utilize the medium that best suits them to share their thoughts. Our team grew by over 30% in the past year (another 25% planned for 2020) to meet our growing business, and our attrition rate is on par with the industry average which we are continually working to improve. To that end, our recent employee survey indicates that 80% of engineers recommend IX as a good place to work. As a growing company, we continually look to improve our processes, programs, technology, and invest in our people to provide rewarding opportunities. This is the journey we are committed to.

Continue reading
  6. "Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with Great work-life balance People are approachable and friendly

Cons

Below market salary Tech debt slowing progress

Index Exchange2019-11-19
  7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Fair compensation, great work-life balance + perks, friendly + engaged staff, dynamic environment

Cons

Technical debt presents headwinds to onboarding of new engineers

Index Exchange2019-08-03
  8. "Good place to work, nice benefit"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, nice benefit

Cons

legacy system is hard to work on and working content is shifting pretty often. If you like switch between different tasks. This is an ideal place

Index Exchange2019-08-12
  9. "Great environment Very nice company"

Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch,drinks and snacks One by one meetings Great management organization Flexible schedule Free parking

Cons

I didn’t see any until now.

Index Exchange2019-07-16

"Overall it was OK but boring"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Varied opportunities for work Decent entry level pay Decent work conditions Catered lunch

Cons

Very political atmosphere, advancement was more on who you were on the good side of.

Index Exchange2019-03-21

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 128 reviews