Index Exchange Reviews

Updated Dec 2, 2020

3.8
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively)(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Good place to work and good co workers

Cons

There is no bad things

2. "Just okay"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Good snacks, flexible vacation days

Cons

No career pathing for promotions or growth

"Decent place to start your career, excellent place to stagnate your skillset."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, "unlimited sick days" (though roughly 20 sick days taken per year will affect you and your promotability negatively). Engineering wise: - they own their own metal, and it's pretty cool to have thousands of ad servers at your fingertips. - It's a good place to get started as a fresh grad, they'll get you on your feet. - A good deal of the engineers at IX are awesome, awesome people who are really good at what they do.

Cons

- A legacy Perl codebase, lots of projects that go no where (certain bird-named projects fit this criteria) - Monolith doesn't even begin to describe their codebase. - Office politics are real and incredibly demoralizing. - A legacy Perl codebase. They've been trying to move some parts of their system to Golang for years now, but that hasn't taken off and it is no where close to being a priority on anyones radar. - Engineers are codemonkeys who get little-to-no recognition. Business drives the business, and engineering is just there to "take too long to accomplish what we tell them to do" apparently. - A culture of "we are a family" (hint: no company is your family, and any company that calls itself your family is lying to your face). - A culture of a lot of grunts, and a few "superstar" engineers who are promoted heavily by some managers who do not know what they're doing and thus do nothing but hinge their own successes on the efforts of these so-called "superstars". PS: The real superstar engineers at IX are modest and great people who are regularly treated poorly as they don't play office politics. The "superstars" do play the office politic game, and are treated well. - A culture of work/ideas being stolen, who promptly pull rank and run off with the credit. There are snakes in the weeds, be careful. - The management team varies heavily - a lot of them are decent/great people who care about the success and wellbeing of those under them. While others provide little to no value to their direct employees, let alone the company as a whole - 0 tech savvy, and 0 industry knowledge, and can talk lots without really saying anything. Senior management seems to Know this and does nothing about it, it can be Really disheartening. - Heavy disconnect between engineering and business/product. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy C-suite engineers seem to enjoy stoking fear in people, have sizable egos, and are on a Massive power-trip. - Incredibly shady business practices and lying to their engineering department to build out these questionable features (ie, google "index exchange bid caching"), but don't worry "we are a family". - At its core - it's an advertising company that's invading the privacy of people around the world in order to build profiles on them, in order to sell them targeted ads. The same can be said for facebook/google/etc - so do with that as you will. It didn't sit right with me. - A legacy perl codebase. - Legacy decisions drive engineering to this day, and fixing them will never happen as the money printers must never be stopped. - Infighting and rudeness/anger between Montreal and Toronto engineering departments. How can IX be a family if their engineering departments take every opportunity to assign blame, shift responsibilities, and generally be vitriolic.

Index Exchange Response

August 26, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you feel Index Exchange is a great place to start your career. Our products and technology are the cornerstone of our company, and we invest heavily in developing our engineering team so that we can provide the best experience for our customers while ensuring the work is rewarding for our employees. Together we are building for the future with the majority of our platform teams dedicated to delivering the basis of our new architecture, enabling other teams to follow in the coming months. We have implemented numerous vehicles to facilitate feedback from our teams including 1:1 discussions with managers, company-wide anonymous employee surveys, Q&A, and open dialogue sessions with our People team. This allows us to continually iterate and improve the employee experience. We will continue to identify all opportunities to refine our approach as we continue to grow as a company.

4. "Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Data Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

cultuer is great, truly collaborative team work and provide equal opportunities (female engineer ratio is pretty high)

Cons

tech stack could use some update - consider use some cloud maybe?

5. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work with lots of autonomy and a great tech stack. Many perks similar to most tech companies of similar size. Attractive office location

Cons

Many restructures causing disruption, but only as a side-effect of continued growth

"Boring and unrewarding work for software developers"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company management seems great. They are not entitled. They care about their employees and this is not an hire and fire company. Pay and perks are great considering what we do.

Cons

Tech is horrible. Almost nobody knows what they do in that company. They lured new employees telling them they will work with Go, Docker, Kafka and all sort of new and cool tech but their usage of those is horrible. There's no tech lead which takes decisions so most of the time we get a bunch of terrible code written by inexperienced developers. Worse than all, most of that tech is written by so-called engineer without a proper degree and they know nothing about software architecture and optimization. I've never seen such a lack of CS fundamentals among developers in my career. However, this might be a company for you if you like to hack around until it works ... We are fixing easy bugs most of the time and it takes forever because everyone has it's own opinion about the potential fix. We almost never write new code.

Index Exchange Response

April 21, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

At Index Exchange, we value all employee feedback and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’ve continued to make investments in our people and infrastructure to position IX for continued growth. We believe that these investments are paying off and will reap rewards well into the future. Today, more than half of our Engineering teams are working in technologies such as Golang, Angular, Spark/Scala, Kafka and Docker/Kubernetes, with more teams shifting to modern technologies on every project. We continually assess the structure of product delivery teams to facilitate a better balance between our new platforms and our legacy systems that will engage and grow our employees in the best way possible. Always know your manager or director is there to listen and to share on the technology vision and strategy at Index Exchange.

7. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited sick days, excellent leadership, and career development opportunities. Compensation is excellent.

Cons

Used to have free daily lunches but no longer.

8. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - Support in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, great benefits, free snacks

Cons

Things are changing very fast, lack of transparency of changes

Continue reading

"Great coworkers, terrible corporate culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great and friendly, nice location and office, free snacks and drinks, catered lunches on Fridays. The tech stack is pretty good too and when you're deep in code, it's a lot of fun. Competitive wages considering that the tech is pretty basic.

Cons

The corporate culture has turned into a mess in 2020. Laser focused on making more money, and not in a startup kind of way. Micromanagement is becoming rampant, engineers are losing control of process and no longer part of self-directed teams. Management wants to see demos of finished work at a ridiculous cadence -- ad hoc, at sprint review, every six weeks? They've lost trust in their employees, and that means you are absolutely going to lose your long-time employees. We lost our week-long catered lunches with two weeks' notice, and it was communicated to us in a one-paragraph email. Couldn't even bother to pay for our loved ones to attend our holiday party. We keep getting told all year that our financial targets are doing great and then they slap us in the face at our company retreat. What's next on the cutting board? If you plan to work in Toronto, you'll probably deal with less politics. If you plan to work at a satellite office, sorry to break it to you but Toronto is going to be calling the shots, and you're going to have to do things their way. Career advancement for engineers is pretty non-existent, already had people leave for that reason.

Continue reading

"Amazing Company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Strong engineering culture that promotes collaboration and innovation. - Talented colleagues to work with and learn from. Everyone is super nice, down to earth, and willing to lend you a hand. Overall a very positive and uplifting work culture. - Index Exchange operates at a scale that very few companies in Toronto are at. Lots of opportunities to work on scalability challenges. - Constant focus on addressing tech debt and improving CI/CD. - Great Leadership. - Competitive compensation and perks.

Cons

- Only negative I can think of is some leftover legacy software systems, but Index Exchange has dedicated multiple teams to improve these and build out new platforms.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 144 English Reviews