Index Exchange Reviews

Updated May 19, 2020

Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "IX is a toxic work environment, don't work here if you care about,your career or your mental health(in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited sick days, excellent leadership, and career development opportunities. Compensation is excellent.

Cons

Used to have free daily lunches but no longer.

Index Exchange2020-03-10
  2. "Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Data Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

cultuer is great, truly collaborative team work and provide equal opportunities (female engineer ratio is pretty high)

Cons

tech stack could use some update - consider use some cloud maybe?

Index Exchange2020-05-20
  3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work with lots of autonomy and a great tech stack. Many perks similar to most tech companies of similar size. Attractive office location

Cons

Many restructures causing disruption, but only as a side-effect of continued growth

Index Exchange2020-04-27

"Boring and unrewarding work for software developers"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company management seems great. They are not entitled. They care about their employees and this is not an hire and fire company. Pay and perks are great considering what we do.

Cons

Tech is horrible. Almost nobody knows what they do in that company. They lured new employees telling them they will work with Go, Docker, Kafka and all sort of new and cool tech but their usage of those is horrible. There's no tech lead which takes decisions so most of the time we get a bunch of terrible code written by inexperienced developers. Worse than all, most of that tech is written by so-called engineer without a proper degree and they know nothing about software architecture and optimization. I've never seen such a lack of CS fundamentals among developers in my career. However, this might be a company for you if you like to hack around until it works ... We are fixing easy bugs most of the time and it takes forever because everyone has it's own opinion about the potential fix. We almost never write new code.

Index Exchange2020-04-11

Index Exchange Response

April 21, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

At Index Exchange, we value all employee feedback and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’ve continued to make investments in our people and infrastructure to position IX for continued growth. We believe that these investments are paying off and will reap rewards well into the future. Today, more than half of our Engineering teams are working in technologies such as Golang, Angular, Spark/Scala, Kafka and Docker/Kubernetes, with more teams shifting to modern technologies on every project. We continually assess the structure of product delivery teams to facilitate a better balance between our new platforms and our legacy systems that will engage and grow our employees in the best way possible. Always know your manager or director is there to listen and to share on the technology vision and strategy at Index Exchange.

5. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - Support in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, great benefits, free snacks

Cons

Things are changing very fast, lack of transparency of changes

Index Exchange2020-02-28

"Great coworkers, terrible corporate culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great and friendly, nice location and office, free snacks and drinks, catered lunches on Fridays. The tech stack is pretty good too and when you're deep in code, it's a lot of fun. Competitive wages considering that the tech is pretty basic.

Cons

The corporate culture has turned into a mess in 2020. Laser focused on making more money, and not in a startup kind of way. Micromanagement is becoming rampant, engineers are losing control of process and no longer part of self-directed teams. Management wants to see demos of finished work at a ridiculous cadence -- ad hoc, at sprint review, every six weeks? They've lost trust in their employees, and that means you are absolutely going to lose your long-time employees. We lost our week-long catered lunches with two weeks' notice, and it was communicated to us in a one-paragraph email. Couldn't even bother to pay for our loved ones to attend our holiday party. We keep getting told all year that our financial targets are doing great and then they slap us in the face at our company retreat. What's next on the cutting board? If you plan to work in Toronto, you'll probably deal with less politics. If you plan to work at a satellite office, sorry to break it to you but Toronto is going to be calling the shots, and you're going to have to do things their way. Career advancement for engineers is pretty non-existent, already had people leave for that reason.

Index Exchange2020-02-05

"Amazing Company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Strong engineering culture that promotes collaboration and innovation. - Talented colleagues to work with and learn from. Everyone is super nice, down to earth, and willing to lend you a hand. Overall a very positive and uplifting work culture. - Index Exchange operates at a scale that very few companies in Toronto are at. Lots of opportunities to work on scalability challenges. - Constant focus on addressing tech debt and improving CI/CD. - Great Leadership. - Competitive compensation and perks.

Cons

- Only negative I can think of is some leftover legacy software systems, but Index Exchange has dedicated multiple teams to improve these and build out new platforms.

Index Exchange2020-01-11
  8. "Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern

I worked at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

The company culture is great for learning and growing. All engineers are willing to help. CEO is great, no attitude or ego to him. Work life balance and flexibility is really appericated by the engineers along with the great perks.

Cons

It would be great to infuse newer technology and frameworks and shift from the large chunks of legacy code

Index Exchange2019-12-31

"Queue Titanic Theme"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you're on a team under one of four good managers you're good. Otherwise, gg. - There isn't much work to be done, so it's really chill. But I guess this is kind of also a negative because you'll be super bored and your skills will rust. The reason there's so little work is either because you're working in the legacy system which takes forever to do anything with, or because product can't make up their minds. - The majority of the people working there are friendly and fun to be around. - Aside from a certain group of teams, everyone is very supportive and there is an environment of teaching.

Cons

- Some teams have some serious toxicity issues that haven't been dealt with in the slightest. - All the good engineers are abandoning ship. - The company is becoming too product focused and ignoring the mounting tech debt. - Lots of departments outside of engineering are not willing to train people, so people who have stuck with the company and learned about the business are constantly let go in favour of people with more career experience but 0 knowledge in the space. Only reason this isn't happening in engineering is because there is a general shortage of devs in the market. - On the topic of salary, it's competitive when compared to the GTA, but lacking when comparing to other companies in the core, and falling behind fast with all the American companies who are setting up shop. - Extremely risk averse, to the point where not much is getting done. - Most social initiatives are all for the gram. No substance.

Index Exchange2019-12-30

Index Exchange Response

January 17, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

At IX, we consider all feedback to be important so we can understand the variety of experiences that our current employees are having and former employees had. We have multiple mediums including surveys, 1:1s, department meetings, and open doors for people to share their thoughts, suggestions and frustrations so they can either be addressed or explained to create better understanding. We continually encourage our team members to utilize the medium that best suits them to share their thoughts. Our team grew by over 30% in the past year (another 25% planned for 2020) to meet our growing business, and our attrition rate is on par with the industry average which we are continually working to improve. To that end, our recent employee survey indicates that 80% of engineers recommend IX as a good place to work. As a growing company, we continually look to improve our processes, programs, technology, and invest in our people to provide rewarding opportunities. This is the journey we are committed to.

10. "Great people to work with"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with Great work-life balance People are approachable and friendly

Cons

Below market salary Tech debt slowing progress

Index Exchange2019-11-19