Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

1. "An organized and understanding company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, employees, and benefits are great. I've been here for just under 2 months, but I've gained a lot of confidence in my abilities by being trained in project management, setting goals and utilizing tools to achieve those goals.

Cons

Take a little more time for training before pushing a new hire onto a project. A good idea would be to let the new hires join employees already working on projects to become more comfortable with their role. This will also give them a perspective of their job they won't get from training and one they'll need before deciding project goals.

Advice to Management

Keep being the employees who oversee projects and ask the important questions. It definitely helps us grow and set our priorities more accurately.

"Good place to start, bad place to stay"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

opportunity to learn, easy to get involved.
    does not require too much skill to begin with, good for new graduates to gain experience.

Cons

lack of technology innovation.
    too much tedious work than interesting research and experimenting.
    slows down learning speed and self-growth.

Advice to Management

encourage employees to learn more, allow them to have more time to learn than only doing work.

Index Exchange Response

7 Mar, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your feedback and review. I'm glad to hear that we're providing a good environment to gain experience. Your experience shared in "cons" rings true of our recent history. With the ... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- incredible young talent with a lot of passion, unfortunate they are not being guided well
    - fast paced and growing
    - good benefits

Cons

- app and platform are built on outdated technologies
    - dissent is frowned upon by management, new employees should beware
    - inexperienced, technically inept managers (please read reviews for Casale Media to understand what I'm talking about)
    - very much a top down company
    - low base salary (however they pay overtime to encourage long hours)
    - no bonus

Advice to Management

It's a futile attempt to give any advice to management, because it will just fall on deaf ears.

5. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

This company really puts great emphasis on then Engineering teams. They work hard to make sure we are all satisfied.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons.

6. "Programming and probelm solving skills required with little emphsis on processes"

Pros

Challenging work
    Food, lots of it and always free
    Environment and culture is something this company has worked on to improve and have shown positive results.
    Flex hours is a plus.

Cons

Processes should always take priority. It has long term benefits

Advice to Management

Processes help engineers in solving their tasks effectively in a team environment. Such processes aim to maximize the benefits of team work. Individuals, no matter how skilled they are cannot lift the organization as much as a well gelled team can.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Cool projects and independence.
    - Flat management structure.
    - Company is very generous.
    - 3 weeks vacation, decent benefits.
    - Fun atmosphere, flex hours.

Cons

- Salary is below average.
    - Different managers will give different answers to the same questions.
    - Company description by recruiters is somewhat different from reality.

Advice to Management

There are too many differing visions on the way the employees should and are being managed.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

Pros

Nice people, snacks, parking
    glassdoor asks me to add more words here, but there are no more pros!!

Cons

Young inexperienced managers and lack of senior managers and developers, work life balance is a joke, the culture is to work long hours. There is always a project that is in rush, and therefore if you are a developer in that company, your life is a disaster.

Index Exchange Response

25 Apr, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your review and I agree, we do have nice people and there really are a lot more pros than you mention. I am disappointed you feel the way you do about managers and that your ... More

"Great place for software engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Index Exchange is a fast growing company, I've worked there for nearly 3 years and I'm constantly seeing new faces.

There are plenty of hard technical problems to challenge an engineering mind.

After an initial training period to get past an admittedly steep learning curve, you're given a lot of autonomy to perform your job functions as you see fit. You're here to solve challenging problems and not punch a clock. Hours are flexible. Good work is rewarded.

Management is approachable and sits in the same area as their workers with the same equipment and tools, they are part of the team rather than a separate entity. Coworkers are friendly and are the type of people you'd like to hang out with outside of work.

Management does look to put you in a position to do your best work, if you aren't happy on one team they will work with you to find a roll that you will enjoy.

The lunchroom is full of talk about the latest movies, what's on t.v or playing video games, magic and Dungeons & Dragons in the evenings.

Cons

There are some growing pains: The main building is under construction. The main parking lot is full, the secondary parking lot is a good walk away from the offices.

Free Snacks. Technically that's a perk, but you've got to be careful about your eating habits with all that sugar.

Advice to Management

We should have employees officially tour some of the locations outside of their office. I've heard rumors that we now have 3 offices in the Wingold area, it would be nice to visit some of them and see what they look like.

"Overall a good company"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of very smart and interesting people
    Good product
    Flexible hours

Cons

Salary is lower than average. I’m still less than a year here, but it would be nice at least to know what raise I can expect and when.
    Some teams are really great while others still been managed by very old (both physically and mentally) people and as a result these teams still operate very slow and in a very old style.
    Many “services” I used to be getting from other departments like IT or HR I’m not getting and need to do it myself (I don’t mind, but I guess for a company it’s a waste of resources)
    Unfortunately, some managers got themselves in to a management positions only because they work here for a long time and not because of the management skills. Some of them are great, but they simply don’t know how to manage.

Advice to Management

Talk more with workers. Official and unofficial talks can really help
    Many workers have great ideas that been blocked by direct managers, in many cases direct managers have more experience and they know why they are blocking this, but sometimes you would be surprised what’s been blocked
    Be open and clear both on a company level and on a personal level. Let people know what are company plans, what they can expect on a personal level.

"Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Great culture, people here are amazing
    - Hackathon was incredible
    - Flex hours
    - Lots of fun team building events
    - We work with large / relevant companies. The tech is pretty cool
    - Beer hour on Fridays
    - New vacation policy is really good

Cons

- Parking is a big headache, not enough spots
    - Construction can be noisy
    - Company is growing fast, not enough seats
    - Very fast pace, can be hard to keep up sometimes

Advice to Management

The board room is used for many important meetings / presentations and the microphone is horrible. This really makes it difficult to communicate with Engineers in other offices. Please do something about this, it affects productivity and annoys a lot of people.