InVision Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Jun 10, 2019

3.4
InVision CEO Clark Valberg
Clark Valberg

"Cultural/Growth Issues + Increasing Attrition"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

- half day fridays - tech stack is modern - decent benefits except 401k match

Cons

signs of toxic management: - entire teams have been let go with zero communication from any level of management - some engineering managers are overly aggressive/abrasive and contribute heavily to task churn - constant talk of high attrition amongst rank and file engineers also present: - high amount of tech debt - design/architectural issues present in many teams contributing to brittle services - negative... inter-team judgements of others contributes to toxic environment

Advice to Management

Stop chasing features and start cleaning up the 2+ years of accumulated tech debt

InVision2019-06-10

"Worked with great people, some C-level micromanaging"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with interesting, knowledgeable, kind people, and a couple of fantastic managers. All of the engineers are senior-level, so I had access to a lot of expertise. The company structure is divided into teams with a manager, a product manager, and about six engineers who work closely together. Interactions between teams are mostly mediated by API boundaries between micro services which allowed a lot of autonomy... for each team. It made for a very nice environment to work in. My relationship with product management was easily the best I have had at any company! Working remote was very helpful during a time when I was moving a lot. Regular "on-site" meetups let co-workers meet in person, which helps to offset the downsides of working with people who I would otherwise only see as moving computer screen images. And the meetups are super fun! The technology is interesting, consisting of lots of Dockerized micro services. I had a lot of latitude in design decisions in the services I implemented. Employees are encouraged to learn new things and share in group presentations.

Cons

Due to some reorganization in 2017 I was shuffled between three teams with three different managers in the space of eight months. My first manager was fantastic. But later I had a manager who did not have much experience working with engineers. That coincided with a time when there was pressure from upper management to get some work down on a short timeline. IMO one of a manager's most important jobs is managing... upstream expectations so that their engineers are not overburdened, and I felt I was not getting that help from my new manager. My departure was partly motivated by personal schedule issues; but this experience was also a factor. The CTO is very hands-on, which has upsides and downsides. In some cases engineering teams were told to adopt certain technologies or practices. For example I thought I would be writing Node.js code, and I was working with a team with a lot of Node experience; but the company was in the process of switching all new development over to Go. I know there is value in consistency of technology, but the language change was disappointing to me. On the other hand the CTO spends a lot of time talking to engineers; and I appreciate the time he took to respond to my concerns personally. When I left there was a legacy codebase written in Coldfusion that was a pain to work with. But the company was in the process of moving away from the legacy monolith to micro services as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

I was in a position where my team was told by upper management to implement a large set of changes on a timeline that I think was not realistic, with goals that were not super clearly defined. My experience at InVision was not all like this, but the months that were were tough. Please make an effort to get your engineers to tell you how long the work will really take, and base product timelines on that instead of... the other way around.

InVision2019-01-05

"Great place to work"

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, people, product, and perks. Remote working done right.

Cons

Things can get lost in translation in Slack chats.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

InVision2018-09-22

"Great place to work"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at InVision for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, exciting work on an industry-defining product. Very good engineering tools and deployment processes. Working remote is the best perk. Strong work/life balance; management is understanding of day-to-day family time and family leave.

Cons

Little communication between teams -- but you can make an effort as an individual and it's welcomed. Roadmaps are sometimes unclear because we're in such a high growth phase.

Advice to Management

Clark and David are awesome, as is the engineering management. Keep doing what you're doing.

InVision2018-05-19

"Great Place to be an Engineer"

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small teams, interesting technical problems, passionate customers. Especially the small focused teams. When I talk to friends about what I'm doing, they are always envious of the cutting edge tech we're using. I love the long-term vision: I like being part of what's going to be a big success (or should I say: an even bigger success because it's already amazingly successful).

Cons

Working 100% remotely is a powerful plus but the downside is it's harder to have a sense of "belonging". Also, like many growth startups, working out of the tech debt and that's never fun.

InVision2017-05-24

"Good company, great people"

I have been working at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't think I've ever worked for a company of this size at this high of an operating level. The people working at InVision make this happen. The people are amazing. Perfect work-life balance. I can work when and where I want. There are core hours or availability, but that doesn't have to be when work gets done.

Cons

It's remote only. So staying focused can be a challenge if you've never worked remotely before. Communications between teams can sometimes be strained, but this is an issue with every company.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the company "do fewer things better". Improve visibility of senior leadership. I haven't been on a call with or spoken to the vast majority of senior leadership. It would be nice if they were more accessible and visible.

InVision2016-12-07

"The Best and the Worst"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours, and some really great people!

Cons

Some not really great people - I found InVision to be a pool of super awesome technical talent, with no-so-great leadership. Leads to frustration and a lack of ability to be the best at what you do.

InVision2017-01-22

"Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* There is always something new to learn, and there is a focus on learning newer technologies * A solid product that everyone is invested in making better * Top notch customer support team * Very knowledgeable, top-tier engineers, lots of very smart people who are good at their job * Vacation policy and work/life balance is excellent. * Free coffee * Your office is the world. Or at least the part of the world... with internet.

Cons

* Decentralized structure of teams and microservices can sometimes lead to miscommunications * Being notified when someone leaves the company, for whatever reason, could be handled a bit better.

InVision2016-11-04

"The Culture Is Evident"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Leavenworth, WA

I have been working at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm loving my time at InVision. I'd been looking for a remote work position with a company that knew how to do that right. It takes a lot for remote work to be successful not only for the employee but for the employer. Therefore, InVision went a different way... everyone is remote. That way, we all know how to do it. I'm learning things every day in technology and I am able to live in the remote mountains of... Washington. They are going through some technology transformations (as all companies are), but they are being thoughtful and everyone on the staff is learning. Working at InVision will advance you as a technologist not only in your skill, but your culture and communication skills too. The best pro is feeling like everyone is a peer. I can reach out to anyone in the company on Slack and they will not patronize, but be extremely helpful! Because of that, I've done nothing but learn new things here. I chose InVision over offers at other big technology companies. You can smell the culture of this place when interacting in the interview process. You will see that it's different. What I discovered when I started is that even though there are over 200 employees, it sure does feel like family. A great place to work.

Cons

So far, I haven't dug into many cons of working here. I do believe it takes someone willing to be out there in remote work land. Someone who can engage with others and feel good about not sitting in a conference room, open office or stuffy cube.

Advice to Management

Only advice? Onboarding. Onboarding is hard, and I recognize that. I was impressed with how much has been done with onboarding. There are a few gaps and even I am helping with those gaps. The only thing I'd improve is to continue down that process (which we are).

InVision2016-10-27

"Awesome Employer and Amazing Team"

Senior Software Engineer in Winona, MN

I have been working at InVision

Pros

The company culture as InVision is unmatched. Everyone is enthusiastic and portrays a positive attitude. The company itself is very successful and continues to grow at an amazing rate. I'm continually amazed by the positive customer feedback we receive on a daily basic. Working remotely is a blessing. I can't imagine ever working for another company.

Cons

Family health insurance is expensive.

InVision2016-09-19