Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Dec 13, 2019

4.2
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza
  1. "Overall, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, innovation and market leader.

Cons

A pro and also a con, the pace is constant. Not for everyone, but great if you enjoy a dynamic environment.

Illumina2019-10-14
  2. "Inclusive, exciting environment where you know you make the world better"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hardworking, dedicated, passionate people who are driven to make an impact. Friendly colleagues always willing to help or provide input. Innovative culture focused on being cutting edge and always improving. Awesome campus and great employee benefits. You know the work you do here matters and makes a positive impact on the world.

Cons

Location of HQ is in the middle of SD traffic

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, honest, and engage everyone in dialogue. Could improve 401(k) match.

Illumina2019-10-15

"A company that trusts their employees and actually incorporates its values."

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, the environment, and the mission. Seems like a place that strongly leverages on internal talent.

Cons

Less ethnic and backgeound diversity among the leadership level.

Advice to Management

There doesn't appear to be a clear path for upward mobility or a large increase in diversity.

Illumina2019-09-25
  4. "Fast Pace Organization"

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Great employee's benefits, plenty of learning opportunities and fast pace working environment with good employees and leadership

Cons

Work flow and business processes are getting more and more complicated as the company scales upwards. Workload can be overwhelming at times due to demand and fast change

Illumina2019-10-10
  5. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting industry, really making an impact in the world. Great work life balance, flexible work schedule, career development/growth

Cons

For a tech company, the maternity leave is TERRIBLE. Company only offers 6 weeks of paid time off while other companies in similar industry offer 16 weeks

Advice to Management

Offer better parental leave

Illumina2019-09-25

"Brilliant Company / Amazing Mission"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Smartest company I've ever worked for. One of the few companies out there truly focused on changing the world. Very inspiring to be part of such a mission centric organization. Very progressive internally and externally. Senior leaders truly care about doing what's right. Compensation and benefits are mostly really strong and very progressive.

Cons

Some longer tenured leaders really struggle to adapt and change and can stagnate progress (and they are tolerated for too long). We have critical processes and tech infrastructure that can still be immature/outdated and are in need of fresh thinking. Things tend to be SD centric, but that is slowly improving as we bring in more global, dynamic, mature senior leaders. We are a constantly changing company in a dynamic... market (which is great), but there are pockets of employees who really struggle with this level of change.

Advice to Management

Please keep making the hard decisions at the leadership level. We need dynamic, global, mature senior leaders at all levels ... even more so as we grow and scale. Don't worry about the vocal minority as we roll out progressive new org structures, programs, and processes. Keep striking the right balance of short term vs long term performance.

Illumina2019-09-20

"Used to be a tech company"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Still leading player in the field; management is continuing investment huge in R&D for innovation and new platform development.

Cons

Illumina was used to a technology focused company before 2017. With the expanding of business, more and more irresponsible manager and upper management flooded in which generate huge budget overload and waste of resources.

Advice to Management

Improve efficiency instead of head count.

Illumina2019-09-30

"Unstructured and lack directions"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are smart and work is interesting. Great campus. Good work life balance.

Cons

Unstructured and lack directions. Hard working is not valued. The goal is not to make great product but to fight for credits (even for things you didn't do). Not many innovations/research going on. Gender/racial diversity if not good and no one really cares (at least from what I saw).

Advice to Management

Hire more real researchers/engineers than politicians.

Illumina2019-08-22
  9. "Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best benefits of working at Illumina is knowing you're working for a company that's actually making a difference in the world. The people here are smart, collaborative, and hard working. I feel complete ownership in my responsibilities and have tons of opportunities to work across functional areas.

Cons

We're a growing company. The org structure is still developing and maturing, which makes clear roles and responsibilities challenging. Fortunately, leadership is proactively addressing these issues

Advice to Management

Invest in people with healthcare experience. We have a lot of scientists (including me), but I rarely meet clinicians at Illumina.

Illumina2019-09-18

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome mission, amazing people, amazing work environment to thrive i

Cons

We want to do sooooo much at once. Prioritization is key at every level. We need to learn to say “no”.

Advice to Management

Empower Directors to quickly make decisions. Keep adding amazing, industry leading benefits - we love FTO and CCTO!

Illumina2019-09-13