Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 779 reviews

4.2
Illumina CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza
Pros
  • "It is an exciting, fast paced company where things are always evolving(in 77 reviews)

• "care to employees welfare; work-life balance(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance, growing faster than our resources(in 63 reviews)

• "No real cons but it is a fast paced, changing environment which might not be for everyone(in 54 reviews)

1. "Fun, enthusiastic."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Preamble: The group I work with was formerly the Victoria, BC company called Genologics; it is now called Genologics, an Illumina Company. It was purchased about 7 months ago, so the good atmosphere and management and policies in Victoria are mainly attributable to Genologics. I'm not sure what it's like to work in other Illumina software labs. In the Victoria software lab, the team works very hard, but also... has a lot of fun. The atmosphere is supportive, engaging, energetic, enthusiastic, and generally happy; although you're allowed to be grumpy and out of sorts... usually greeted with humour and jokes. They are not afraid to explore and adopt new technologies that make development work faster and easier to maintain; and management encourages developers to do so. They supply a lot of food, snacks and full meals when required. It's a mac development environment. Team members support each other without hesitation in achieving business goals. The office building in which they sit is surrounded by beautiful park land. Parking is cheap and covered by the company. Benefits are good. Bonus: I'm getting paid to work here :)

Cons

If you like to work in a noisy urban environment, with lots of eatery choices/shopping in walking distance, then this is not the place for you. It's situated in a bucolic rural/suburban area surrounded by forest and farmland. It's only 15 minutes to downtown Victoria, though, and there are some excellent restaurants within a 5 minute drive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Illumina should learn from Genologics! The management training for Victoria appears to be excellent, because all the managers and leaders I've worked with in Victoria are down-to-earth, a pleasure to be around, a pleasure to work with, and they engender a positive attitude towards the product and working hard for the company.

Illumina2016-03-25

"Great working environment"

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Good benefit

Cons

High level management is the problem

Illumina2018-01-26

"It was fun"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I worked at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is really good at showing you the positive impacts your work has in the genomic research sector.

Cons

They closed their office in Victoria just a few years after purchasing it from a local company. They didn't provide much info to support their decision.

Illumina2017-12-17

Illumina Response

February 9, 2018HR

Thank you for writing this review, and we’re glad that enjoyed your time at Illumina. We’re excited to continue our mission to improve human health and hope that you’ll continue to see the connection between the work that you did and the impact that genomics has. We wish you the best ...

"Interesting but highly unstable"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very interesting science, genomics. Working there feels like you're helping improve human health.

Cons

Constantly changing corporate structure. They take the "move fast and embrace change " value a little too far. The last move in 2017 was to "focus" and shut down their amazing software division barely two short years after "diversifying" by purchasing them in the first place, affecting hundreds of "valued" employees and their family members right at Christmas time. (A more cynical view would say it smells... suspiciously like a plan hatched months earlier to improve their stock value at years end). The corporate structure is highly stratified, and a lot of decisions that directly affect employees and middle management get made behind closed doors without their input or consideration of their input.

Advice to Management

Step down from the boardroom and actually understand all your people.

Illumina2017-12-09
  5. "Great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hi Tech company, great vision and execution of mission. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Too many separate groups with competing priorities. With great success comes the challenges of growth.

Illumina2015-10-25
  6. "Brilliant Company / Amazing Mission"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Smartest company I've ever worked for. One of the few companies out there truly focused on changing the world. Very inspiring to be part of such a mission centric organization. Very progressive internally and externally. Senior leaders truly care about doing what's right. Compensation and benefits are mostly really strong and very progressive.

Cons

Some longer tenured leaders really struggle to adapt and change and can stagnate progress (and they are tolerated for too long). We have critical processes and tech infrastructure that can still be immature/outdated and are in need of fresh thinking. Things tend to be SD centric, but that is slowly improving as we bring in more global, dynamic, mature senior leaders. We are a constantly changing company in a dynamic... market (which is great), but there are pockets of employees who really struggle with this level of change.

Advice to Management

Please keep making the hard decisions at the leadership level. We need dynamic, global, mature senior leaders at all levels ... even more so as we grow and scale. Don't worry about the vocal minority as we roll out progressive new org structures, programs, and processes. Keep striking the right balance of short term vs long term performance.

Illumina2019-09-20
  7. "Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best benefits of working at Illumina is knowing you're working for a company that's actually making a difference in the world. The people here are smart, collaborative, and hard working. I feel complete ownership in my responsibilities and have tons of opportunities to work across functional areas.

Cons

We're a growing company. The org structure is still developing and maturing, which makes clear roles and responsibilities challenging. Fortunately, leadership is proactively addressing these issues

Advice to Management

Invest in people with healthcare experience. We have a lot of scientists (including me), but I rarely meet clinicians at Illumina.

Illumina2019-09-18
  8. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome mission, amazing people, amazing work environment to thrive i

Cons

We want to do sooooo much at once. Prioritization is key at every level. We need to learn to say “no”.

Advice to Management

Empower Directors to quickly make decisions. Keep adding amazing, industry leading benefits - we love FTO and CCTO!

Illumina2019-09-13

"Unstructured and lack directions"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are smart and work is interesting. Great campus. Good work life balance.

Cons

Unstructured and lack directions. Hard working is not valued. The goal is not to make great product but to fight for credits (even for things you didn't do). Not many innovations/research going on. Gender/racial diversity if not good and no one really cares (at least from what I saw).

Advice to Management

Hire more real researchers/engineers than politicians.

Illumina2019-08-22
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technologist

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Illumina is a great place to work, everyone has a positive attitude.

Cons

None, I can not think of any cons.

Illumina2019-09-10