Ian Martin Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 16 November, 2018

4.3
Tim Masson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very good importance is given to work life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "The way of Giving knowledge is innovative and the work environment is very good" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because really there is no cons :) :P" (in 11 reviews)

• "I could not find any CONS at Ian Martin Group" (in 5 reviews)

"Such a great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your looking to work for a company that cares and values you, this is the place to be. Ian Martin is moving in the direction of becoming "Teal" which is refreshing, empowering and brilliant. They are also a certified "B Corp" aiming to seek higher purpose, contribute to our communities and reduce our footprint.

Cons

Not a con, just something to be aware of. We are currently in the process of moving to a teal organization so things are rapidly changing and evolving.

30 Aug, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for posting... it's true that Teal organizations are more adaptable and agile, which does mean that change can happen fast... the key thing is that everyone has an opportunity to influence the... More

"Full Time Employee"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time

Pros

They really do care about your home life as well. Having appointments that are family or health related are never an issue.
    I have experienced a whole new level of independence, and it has given me the freedom to ensure my responsibilities are taken care of all while being respected.

Cons

I love the change that has been discussed for about a year of going "Teal" - if you aren't sure what this means, google it you'll have a great read.
    This organizational hierarchy change is unique but not all higher ups are as committed as others.
    I have experienced being extremely valued but also have experienced some delegation from management which is the total opposite of the Teal movement

Advice to Management

Watch out for the little guys, we're riding this wave of change

30 Aug, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for your feedback... I'd love it if you can find a way to give the feedback you're talking about to the "higher ups" ... I'm happy to chat on a confidential basis if I can help coach you in... More

3. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, Freedom to make decisions on accounts, little micro management and oversight

Cons

Company is going through a major management transformation so some things get lost in translation.

27 Jul, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi ... thanks for posting a review! John and I (as well as anyone else on the management team) are totally open to a lunch or coffee to hear about what's getting lost in translation. In my mind, the... More

"Changing business for the better!"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is that this company actually walks the walk - things like a self-managed culture, the fact that your whole self is encouraged at work, and the fact that you have the freedom to determine your career path may sound like empty corporate businesspeak, but they truly mean it here. The company has a clear purpose and isn't afraid of experimenting with ways of doing things better.

Cons

This con is a pro, depending on how you look at it, but if you like to just come in to work and be told what to do, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, learning, and being open to a variety of perspectives and we'll continue to grow together!

11 Jun, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi ... thanks for the post... love it when cons are pros!

"Couldn't be happier"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am lucky. Not only do I get to do what I love everyday, but I get to make a difference with being a member of Stewardship council. We are passionate about "breaking down barriers to employment" and promoting inclusive hiring for us and our clients.
    We work in a environment where we can give and receive feedback, we are open for coaching by colleagues and upper management and our voices and opinions are heard when we discuss the future direction of this company.
    We take 1 day/year, leave our offices and our responsibilities for that day and volunteer in our communities, we give back with time and can donate to our favourite charities which by the way Ian Martin will match our donation dollar for dollar.
    I am proud of the organization I work for. I have never worked for a company that shares financials in such a transparent way.

Cons

The compensation is average. I would say market value or slightly below.
    That said, I would rather make slightly less money then work for a company that doesn't have a sense of direction, purpose or moral compass. The drive into work is good for me as well. So really, I have nothing to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You have a lot of people contributing and supporting the future success of Ian Martin

4 Jun, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for all the stuff you're doing to make the company awesome... !

6. "Back office"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Employees are treated as family.

Cons

no cons as of yet.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing but look more into giving all employees equal opportunities.

4 Jun, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for the post... I've very interested to learn what's behind your comment about "giving all employees equal opportunities"... we have the Role Advice Process, which allows any employee to... More

"Ian Martin"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time

Pros

Flexible, B corp, Moving toward self-management , self-assessment to match like, wants and needs.

Cons

career opportunities, compensation, conservative, unfocused

4 Jun, 2018 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for making the effort to post... I'd be very interested in learning what you mean by "conservative" and "unfocused" - perhaps there is an area that you're seeing that could be improved... More

8. "Forward thinking, growth opportunities, serious about meaningful work."

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time

Pros

Ian Martin Group has worked hard to create a unique offering in a recruitment market without much differentiation. Using the advice process and tools like Cloverpop have allowed more employees voices to be heard in decision making and consequently, there has been more collaboration and better decisions. The newly formed Givers Of Happiness team provides excellent internal resources to all employees. Management has also prioritized learning opportunities and a real partnership with our coworkers in Bangalore. At the Oakville office, you can bring your whole self to work. They're on the Top 50 Great Places to work survey for a reason.

Cons

Comp and benefits are slightly lower than the industry average.

Advice to Management

It's awesome to work at a place that treats its values as foundational. The balance of creating an excellent offering for customers and an engaging work culture is complementary. Keep it up!

27 Feb, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for making the effort to post... we'll definitely do our best to keep it up! :)

9. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good Organization
    -Great Values
    -Unique as in they try to be different then most agencies

Cons

-Not competitive pay
    -Management is not on your side
    -The only people that grow are managers

Advice to Management

-Have a better review/raise process
    -Have succession planning- no one wants to be a recruiter forever

23 Jan, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi ... thanks for the note. Honestly, I'm very surprised by your Advice to Management because I've been working with both Toronto recruitment teams quite closely lately on: 1. Educating our... More

10. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The thing I like most about working here is that the company has a heart and a purpose. While there's always a focus on profit, this is combined with a desire to create a great workplace, develop individuals and have a positive impact on the world.

From a practical perspective, the compensation package is good, the benefits are decent and the management team is competent and generally open to input.

Cons

The benefit program could be better.

Sometimes it feels like there is not complete agreement at the executive level as to what out long term focus/strategy should be.

Advice to Management

It may be time to revamp the benefits program. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The recent increased focus on the visibility packs is good and should be continued.

23 Jan, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi - thanks for the note. I agree that benefits could be better... we've looked at this a bunch of times ... would love to share the costs/options with you so you can see how limited the options are... More