Ian Martin Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Masson

Pros
  • The way of Giving knowledge is innovative and the work environment is very good (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to work:-) I am glad to be a part of Ian Martin (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I haven't came through any Cons till Date (in 2 reviews)

• Haven't come across any cons till now (in 2 reviews)

1. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The thing I like most about working here is that the company has a heart and a purpose. While there's always a focus on profit, this is combined with a desire to create a great workplace, develop individuals and have a positive impact on the world.

From a practical perspective, the compensation package is good, the benefits are decent and the management team is competent and generally open to input.

Cons

The benefit program could be better.

Sometimes it feels like there is not complete agreement at the executive level as to what out long term focus/strategy should be.

Advice to Management

It may be time to revamp the benefits program. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The recent increased focus on the visibility packs is good and should be continued.

23 Jan, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi - thanks for the note. I agree that benefits could be better... we've looked at this a bunch of times ... would love to share the costs/options with you so you can see how limited the options are ... More

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good Organization
    -Great Values
    -Unique as in they try to be different then most agencies

Cons

-Not competitive pay
    -Management is not on your side
    -The only people that grow are managers

Advice to Management

-Have a better review/raise process
    -Have succession planning- no one wants to be a recruiter forever

23 Jan, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi ... thanks for the note. Honestly, I'm very surprised by your Advice to Management because I've been working with both Toronto recruitment teams quite closely lately on: 1. Educating our ... More

"A great Place to work that has a meaningful impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

I have seen an incredible turnaround in the 56 year old company.Collaborative work environment with all divisions has led to incredible growth in recent years. It treats its employees as adults allowing them to be involved in the direction of the company. Transparent management providing complete financials and reporting to all employees every month

Cons

some greater flexibility in its benefits for employees

Advice to Management

keep up the great work! Changes within the organizaion are having an impact outside the organization particulary helping others to find meaningful work

27 Oct, 2015 – Communications

Thanks - it's nice to see what we're doing well, and how we can still make things better for our people as professionals- and what would help you.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energetic group of people, who are all dedicated to the success of the company. Great culture, a lot of focus on self development (leadership, giving back, volunteering). Pay is reasonable, large focus on making a living wage.

Cons

Not all teams are on the same page, distinct difference between departments and not a lot of cross communication between teams and offices. No talented jerks, but some jerks still exist (not the companies fault tho, jerks are everywhere)

Advice to Management

Build stronger communication and engagement between teams and offices.

20 May, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Great advice... this is the topic we will be working on at this year's offsite in August!

6. "A somewhat different but AMAZING place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A privately held B-Corporation led by one the best CEOs and human beings I've met. The company lives up to it's stated mission of helping people find meaningful work and provides a unique culture. A safe and transparent environment where people are encouraged to develop and share. Nice, but not spectacular, office and a good location in Toronto.

Cons

The culture may not be for everyone. It can feel like a big family and the focus on the larger mission and giving back, philanthropy, volunteering and community involvement may not appeal to all.

7. "Good group, nice people"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice company with good values

Cons

Little bit carried away with philanthopy

8. "IML is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON

Pros

It's a good solid company that's been around for a long time and is well respected. The company is very ethical. The staff is very friendly and many are really fun to be around.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation.

Advice to Management

Good job

9. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is so transparent that every quarter the CEO come to office across the GTA to discuss our successes and budgets, where we are? what is the year to date financials? and where can we improve? Its refreshing to have a CEO so involved in our day to day operations. This company feels like a family, I can happily say that Sunday afternoons are never a disappointment when I look at the upcoming week ahead. I'm happy to work in a organization that cares about their employees and volunteer their time to make our communities a better place to live

Cons

Not a negative, but in terms growth, there is not a structured path of development that you go down. There are however opportunities in every corner, you just need to find your niche and go with it. There are ladders to climb, but they are not necessarily vertical.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, the employees that work for IMG are firm believers on what you are trying to accomplish and we stand behind you 100%

10. "Forward thinking, growth opportunities, serious about meaningful work."

I have been working at Ian Martin Group full-time

Pros

Ian Martin Group has worked hard to create a unique offering in a recruitment market without much differentiation. Using the advice process and tools like Cloverpop have allowed more employees voices to be heard in decision making and consequently, there has been more collaboration and better decisions. The newly formed Givers Of Happiness team provides excellent internal resources to all employees. Management has also prioritized learning opportunities and a real partnership with our coworkers in Bangalore. At the Oakville office, you can bring your whole self to work. They're on the Top 50 Great Places to work survey for a reason.

Cons

Comp and benefits are slightly lower than the industry average.

Advice to Management

It's awesome to work at a place that treats its values as foundational. The balance of creating an excellent offering for customers and an engaging work culture is complementary. Keep it up!

27 Feb, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Thanks for making the effort to post... we'll definitely do our best to keep it up! :)

"Progressive"

I worked at Ian Martin Group full-time

Pros

Senior leadership care about the people and try to build a strong culture. They are willing to invest in people and for the most part open to new ideas.

Cons

Actions don't always match the message. Some in management don't walk the walk.
    Going through a large change, which may leave some behind.

Advice to Management

Avoid flavour of the month (or year) cultural initiatives, and return to old topics that were important to see if they survived in the culture.

23 Jan, 2017 – Chief Steward & CEO

Hi - thanks for the note... I agree with your Advice to Management ... I'm always concerned that the work we're doing each year builds one block on another instead of jumping around from topic to ... More