IMPACT Branding & Design Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 13 October, 2018

4.9
Bob Ruffolo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "World-class talent at a growing, world-class company."

Current Employee - Controller in Wallingford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Controller in Wallingford, CT (US)

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Transparency & Openness: Open-book financial management is an amazing thing! Not only are we completely transparent about all aspects of our financial statements, but the company has created a plan for the employees to share in IMPACT's success. Everyone in the company has control of their success and the ability to speak up when something isn't right. Very exciting stuff!

- Flexibility: Everyone is treated as an adult and expected to get their work done. Under this philosophy, the company is very flexible about where and when the work gets done.

- Relaxed, family-oriented environment: With an average age of 31 years old at the company, it is a very tight-knit group made up of arguably the most talented individuals in their respective fields. Everyone is treated as an equal and encouraged to speak their true feelings.

Cons

Not a real con, but with a bunch of game-changing new programs rolling out simultaneously, it is going to take some time to perfect them (people tools, open-book-management).

Advice to Management

Stay the course you are on! The new people tools and "Great Game of Business" are incredible steps in the right direction. IMPACT is poised to become one of the best places to work in the world. I'm so excited for the journey.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thanks for leaving such a positive review! Glad you're a fan of the people tools and Great Game of Business. As an employee myself, I'm excited about those as well. Keep the feedback coming if... More

"Review from the CEO. Please read."

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Wallingford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Wallingford, CT (US)

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Yes, this is a review from the CEO of IMPACT, but I hope you read this and take it seriously. Everything we've done over the last four years has been to make IMPACT the best possible to place for our people. We understand that if we can attract and retain the best people, they'll deliver for those who put their trust in us, and we'll have a superior product and company.

Creating the best place to work has remained one of our core objectives, and every quarter we work towards improving, all based on feedback from our employee NPS, employee advisory board, manager/employee one-on-ones, and regular feedback meetings held by our talent team. Because of this, we’ve built a great culture for both on-site and remote employees, our turnover rate is exceptionally low for an agency, and our people have nominated and helped us win awards for our culture.

Although we want our people to be at IMPACT for a long time, we understand the company is not for everyone and sometimes things change. We can only keep people on the team who are performing at a high level, otherwise it creates a hardship for the entire organization. But more importantly, if someone is struggling at IMPACT, they need to find something that’s a better fit for them so they don’t waste time and can continue to grow in their career. Over the years, we’ve had to have tough conversations with several team members when it was time to make a change, but, one thing I think we do differently at IMPACT is that we work with employees through their transitions so we can achieve the best, mutually-beneficial outcome for everyone -- even if it take a few months. We’re happy to go out of our way to help our transitioning employees and many have come back to us saying how valuable this was to them. Most of them have gone on to find great jobs that are perfect for them and we couldn’t be happier, and in almost every case, it’s a great experience for everyone.

In 2015, we created a company vision which the entire team was invited to contribute to. That vision, in addition to being a great place to work, included us being recognized for the quality of our work, holding industry events where we could showcase the thought leadership of our team and interact with some of the brightest and most-respected people in our field. I’m proud to say, we’ve achieved that vision a year early, and we’re now focused on our bigger vision for 2020, also co-created by the entire team.

In terms of compensation, we continue to focus on improving pay and benefits. We have made huge strides in this area in the past four years and believe they are above average, but they can always be better.

OK - I may be biased… I get that, but I will invite you to go to our team page, ping anyone at our company, and validate anything you’d like about our culture.

We’re very proud of what we’ve accomplished and apologies for giving myself a thumbs up on the “rate the CEO” section. I try very hard. :)

Cons

No doubt, we have a lot we still need to work on. First, we want to improve our benefits even further. In the last few years, we rolled out a larger contribution to health insurance, a 401k with a 3% match, and up to 8 weeks of maternity/paternity leave, but I’d really like to see us increase our health insurance contribution, specifically for families, and up our 401k match. I’m also very focused on finding the right plan for employees to have a path towards ownership of IMPACT, which I think we’ll have in 2019.

Our office is cool but certainly isn’t at Google-level. I think there’s an opportunity to improve there.

The reason for deficiencies in these areas is because we pay our people very well, and most of our budget goes to salaries. I’m confident that we’ll address all of this in the next 6-12 months.

Advice to Management

I am management, so I guess my advice to me would be to keep seeking feedback from the team and address it as soon as possible. Brian Halligan, CEO of HubSpot, told me that feedback is the breakfast of champions. He couldn’t be more spot on.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thanks for the review, Bob :)

3. "AWESOME CULTURE"

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is contagious. Team is incredibly engaged.

Cons

I don’t like that I am forced to put a con.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Glad you love our culture so much! If you do think of any cons please feel free to let us know - we're always looking to improve :)

4. "My ultimate post-HubSpot IPO experience...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*A firm that's considered at the top of their niche (Diamond-tier HubSpot Agency Partner, HubSpot's N. American Partner of The Year)
    *Team is large enough that there are resources to support you and a diverse culture to be a part of, but also small enough so that every team player's impact can be felt.
    *A very much not "corporate" culture, while still staying organized and professional. That's a pro for me.

Cons

*Small but growing business so sometimes there are bumps and ruts are we evolve and grow.
    *Sometimes long hours are called for in order to hit the goal
    *Our product, marketing strategy and website design services, is in a very broad (and often hard to understand) market of services/solution providers. It's tough to always be valued for what we do.

Advice to Management

*Continue to focus on being the BEST we can be on everything we put our name behind and make sure every client engagement has a tangible success in the first 90-days that they and we can bring back to share with others.

16 Nov, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you so much for the review! So happy you're enjoying working here. Definitely trying to provide the most value for our clients and other people who follow the brand, and hoping to have a lot... More

5. "It doesn't get much better."

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where do I even start: The people and Culture are next to none. Management is always listening, learning, and most importantly knows that the people at IMPACT are what make IMPACT great. They pay is very competitive. IMPACT embodies the work hard, play hard mentality.

I could go on forever about the pro's of working at IMPACT.

All around, everyone at IMPACT is treated like an executive, and expected to perform like one.

Cons

IMPACT is not for everyone. Specifically, it's not a place for those who are looking for their job to occupy as little of their life as possible. IMPACT is a group of people on a mission and because of that the team here pours their heart and soul into their work. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way, but again, it's not for everyone.

Also, it's pretty hard to maintain a diet here. Everyone's always brining in something delicious.

Advice to Management

Keep your foot on the gas.

23 Feb, 2018 – Director of Talent

I love this review! Thank you so much for posting! Really happy you're enjoying what IMPACT has to offer, while also embracing of the type of work environment this is. And I agree with the diet... More

"I've Found My Place"

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Leadership: our entire leadership team is dedicated to not only driving the business forward but to listening and resolving any real issues within the agency.

- Core values: every company has core values, not every company ACTUALLY cares about them. In my time at IMPACT, I've heard our core values being used as a measurement tool for decisions, behaviors, and outcomes. This is HUGE!

- Innovative marketing: Inbound isn't new anymore. Writing blogs isn't going to get the job done, here I have the freedom to think creatively about how to solve for our clients and the team is supportive and willing to help execute.

- Agile/SCRUM: If you've worked in SCRUM before you'll be familiar with the idea of SCRUM Teams, velocity, points. IMPACT uses this methodology on the client services and the internal team level. Which is really awesome.

- Ideas Are Heard: In my time here, my ideas and suggestions have been heard, challenged, tested, and even implemented.

- Challenging: If you're in marketing and more specifically in client services, you know the challenges that everyone face and we face them here, too. The job is challenging, but if you like a challenge, then that is a bonus!

Cons

I don't have any cons that are worth mentioning. We're still working on putting the right people in the right places, but it is so minor compared to cons from other agencies I've worked at.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing everything that you're doing!

23 Feb, 2018 – Director of Talent

<3 <3 Dang, our employees are so awesome. I'm excited that we have people so passionate about their role and IMPACT as a whole. Thank you so much for all of your feedback!

7. "Hands Down the Best Place I have ever worked"

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IMPACT embodies commitment for delivering excellence to not only their clients but also their employees which is hard to find these days. But the best part is the passion, dedication, teamwork & pride that the employees exude in all that they do.

Cons

Only downside is that at times it can be hard for a company with such high employee expectations and standards to grow as fast as we need to in order to keep up with the client demand. But that's not really a con;)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the stock of gummy bears.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

This review makes me so happy! Glad you're enjoying working at IMPACT (and the gummy bears of course).

8. "Delivers on What They Promise to Employees"

Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The CEO and team leads all care about each and every employee -- both in our professional development and personal lives
    - Working in an agile environment enables us to have a work-life balance
    - Remote work and work flexibility is completely possible and even encouraged if it helps you focus
    - Time off is never questioned as long as you work with your team to ensure things don't fall through the cracks
    - Personal development time and objectives are required so each employee can continue to grow and advance in our careers
    - Roles are clearly defined so you know what is expected of us
    - Work with interesting clients from different industries so things don't get stale or boring

Basically, this company respects its employees to be adults and get their work done. I couldn't imagine working anywhere else and love seeing all of the awesome things we're capable of doing!

Cons

- Like most growing small businesses, there are some pain points in determining processes but the leadership team does a great job involving all employees so everyone feels they can have a say if they want to

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thank you for the review! We're definitely always trying to improve our processes, and hopefully since this review has been written it's getting better. I appreciate the honesty so please keep it up!... More

9. "A Small Giant of a Company With a Big Heart and Best In Breed Execution"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Wallingford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Wallingford, CT (US)

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IMPACT is a great place to work first and foremost because the leadership team is highly invested in doing right by the company, the employees, and the clients. When you solve for all three of these stakeholders, magic happens - and it is happening right now at IMPACT. The company is very healthy financially and hitting all of its targets, the team works well together and churn is almost nonexistent, and our clients are giving us NPS scores averaging 9.3. Before joining IMPACT, I ran my own digital agency so I know how hard it is to nail all three of these things. I'm impressed that IMPACT is doing it so well and excited to be a part of this team.

Cons

The environment at this company is fast paced and not for people who aren't 100% invested in the work they're doing. Expectations for the team are high and for the right person, this isn't a problem. But if you're looking for a job where you can show up and "check the box", look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of supporting the team, being transparent, and providing opportunities for growth.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thank you for all your feedback! I agree, we're definitely fast paced. I think that's great advice to job seekers who are looking into IMPACT. Thanks for the transparency!

10. "It Really Is The Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Chief Strategy Officer & Partner in Wethersfield, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Chief Strategy Officer &amp; Partner in Wethersfield, CT (US)

I have been working at IMPACT Branding & Design full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the very best way possible, working at IMPACT has become my life. Since starting there 7 years ago, and despite the consistent 12 - 15 hour days, I STILL feel like I've never "worked" a single day in my career at IMPACT. Waking up everyday, knowing that I get to go back to the IMPACT office (or work from home if I want), is the best feeling in the world. What's more, is that the people (my now family) that surround me every day, believe that the Vision and future of IMPACT is bigger than themselves, creating an environment where we all want to do absolutely everything we can to achieve and build something special together. I've never felt this type of alignment, energy, and camaraderie anywhere else.

Cons

This is not a con, but it's the only thing I can say that could be a potential negative for someone considering a career at IMPACT. Working at IMPACT is not for the faint-of-heart, or for those that want to go in at 9 and leave after 8 hours or for those that don't want to be challenged every hour of every day. IMPACT IS A PLACE TO GROW personally and professionally, and you only grow by stressing yourself and overcoming it. This means that, in many cases, work will travel home with you and require you to go above and beyond and require you to do things that make you uncomfortable, every day. I (and the staff we have) FEED off of that. But for many... it's simply not a good fit.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the levels of transparency and openness that's been a foundational part of this company's culture. Continue to listen to and value both the positive and negative feedback we're consistently asking for as a management team; and with that information, promptly and genuinely address any challenges that arise. Continue to paint the picture of where this company is headed and align that Vision with the rest of the organization so we can all get there together.

25 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thank you so much for the review <3 I totally agree with the type of person who is a good fit for IMPACT. I think that'll be really helpful to people looking for a job at IMPACT to understand our... More