IBI Group Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2020

2.9
IBI Group Chief Executive Officer Scott Stewart
Scott Stewart
Pros
  • "Work Environment is really good(in 18 reviews)

• "Commensurate salary, reasonable working hours, fulfilling work with a global reach(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "It could be because upper management is quite grey if you know what I mean(in 9 reviews)

• "Low pay for System Admin job, more like 1st level support(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Interesting work, great teammates, what more could you want?"

Current Employee - Transportation in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My experience at IBI over the past few years has been great. As IBI continues to be more open, and create and strengthen policies through its Finance, Legal, and HR teams, it is clear that IBI is a better place to work now than in years past. With a slew of interesting global projects, to city-defining projects here in Toronto, I'm happy to come to work basically every day. Part of that is the youth and diversity in my team, with the average age skewing to the late 20s/early 30s. It creates a great learning environment for a 10+ year veteran like myself, but also fosters a great social dynamic. Due to our low turnover, people have grown up together these past few years, which helps out with teamwork and morale. The environment created at IBI these past few years has enabled this to happen. The push into technology has also been very exciting, and the great (often young) minds of tomorrow are really shining through, bringing far fledged ideas into reality. While not perfect, IBI is an exciting place for me to work, and I don't plan to leave anytime soon.

Cons

Nothing noteworthy comes to mind

2. COVID-19

"2 years in..."

Current Employee - ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGIST in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Been here for 2 years now - this is my second review. I am still having a great time. Work is interesting and challenging, my salary and raise structure has been fair so far. Company transitioned everyone globally to WFH in about a week and have been very flexible through the Covid-19.

Cons

Wish they would match RRSP or do salary top-up for mat leave.

3. "Innovative firm that values its employees"

4.0
    Current Employee - Global Communications Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBI Group full-time

Pros

Commensurate salary, reasonable working hours, fulfilling work with a global reach.

Cons

Disjointedness between multiple international offices.

June 18, 2020Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you feel fairly rewarded for your contributions at IBI Group. We take pride in our people and in all of the hard work and dedication shown by our colleagues day in and day out. We understand that it can be quite the feat to balance the needs of a global workforce and that sometimes things can get lost in translation. We thank you for playing your part in ensuring the continued success and positive global impact of IBI Group today and into the future.

4. "Hamilton Engineering has poor management"

Former Employee - Civil Designer in Hamilton, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at IBI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really can't find any pros.

Cons

Constantly being belittled by management

Continue reading

"Get your experience and leave."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at IBI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

As far as the team dynamic goes away from the Management, there are still some great people to learn from and work with at IBI. Get your experience and leave for better opportunities.

Cons

Quite possibly one of the worst places I have worked. Having worked over 30+ hours straight at the office, without leaving, in addition to multiple all-nighters, I can attest to the minimal work-life balance that exists here, lack of care to mental health, and the constant stress you're put under from Management, who care not one bit. The work culture is riddled with politics, back-stabbing, throwing hardworking individuals under the bus (I've seen many quit on the spot as a result), HR siding with poor management (seriously be careful in case you ever take any case to HR, politics always wins here - as many reviews I'm reading here have pointed to), excusing what many bring to light during exit interviews, thus there's always that notion of their being a revolving door, and people leaving. Having "one-on-one morale meetings" once people leave is hardly reassuring, when Managers and Leads are still at the company due to those resignations/terminations happening in the first place, who treat employees with the utmost disrespect. The fact I've seen an entire department, over the course of 12 months, either quit or have workers terminated, but the Manager and Lead be the only people to remain, shows HR is not listening to the real problem. Zero tact. Get your experience and get out.

June 16, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at IBI Group. While we are happy to hear that you worked with some great people and learned a lot, we are sorry to see that you faced some challenges as well. IBI Group is a fast-paced, client driven environment that may not be suitable for everyone, but it’s also what makes it exciting and challenging for the right fit! Due to the nature of the consulting industry, tight deadlines are not easily avoidable and we strive to create a positive, flexible working environment that supports a healthy work-life balance nonetheless. We have several initiatives in place like our Employee Assistance Program and our Wellness Program to support employees with both their physical and mental health. We appreciate all feedback that we receive, and this is just one example of a platform that we use to listen to both our past and present employees to help us to continue to improve our culture. As you have mentioned, we also have our exit interview process where interviews are conducted thoroughly by our HR professionals and then trends are shared tactically to senior leaders while also maintaining the confidentiality of the process. We thank you again for your review, and we wish you success in your future endeavours!

"Manipulative hierarchy unskilled supervised leaders"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great colleagues. great location. good library.

Cons

Manipulative hierarchy unskilled supervised leaders Team members fail to communicate effectively, confusion and conflict erupt most of the time. This results in missed deadlines, arguments and low employee morale. Constant organizational restructuring, doe to a mass exodus of high-quality employees that are difficult to replace. Good employees quit, because there is no respect. Good employees do not leave the company, they quit because of the manager! (Just keep that in mind) Little to no opportunity for growth and development, no advancement opportunities. Lack of support. Often managers and colleagues are dragging you down. Uninspiring work environment or company culture. In here you truly feel disconnect with your professional goals! One more shocking thing to know IBI is still work on AutoCAD on most projects!!!!They never switched to REVIT . Managers and Leaders are very difficult to work with. Lack of appreciation being underpaid, not receiving positive feedback for a job well done, broken promises, no bonuses, valid complaints that are shrugged off and reasonable change suggestions that go ignored. IBI is honestly a true meaning of a sweatshop. Workplace is very poor, socially unacceptable working conditions, work is difficult, underpaid. And your privacy is violated. HR are just helpless as well. They can't help you! Sometimes they even work against you. Be careful when you use work computer. They are watching everything you do.

June 16, 2020Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed working with your colleagues throughout your time here as we take pride in employing some of the brightest minds in the industry! We regret, however, to hear that some of your experiences have been negative. At IBI Group, we aspire to foster an environment where our employees can grow and develop in their career which is supported by our LEAD and Mentorship programs. These programs are designed to cultivate tomorrow’s leaders today. We encourage you to take advantage of our mid-year check-in process that is currently underway which allows for an open dialogue about career pathing, recognizing achievements, and reviewing and adjusting both your personal and professional goals. Furthermore, we can acknowledge that at times day-to-day life at IBI Group can be fast-paced and deadline-driven and we do what we can to express how much we value each individual’s contribution. We truly respect you sharing your outlook on IBI Group and welcome you to reach out to your HR Business Partner directly to talk about some of your concerns.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Planning and Development

I worked at IBI Group full-time

Pros

Being a relatively large organization, the architectural side of the business gets interesting work.

Cons

Extremely poorly managed - mushroom management. Significant working-relationship issues amongst planning teammates, including management picking favourites. Lack of communication. More about doing whatever to make management happy rather than working as a team to produce great work to grow both as a department and as an individual. Team is so used to churn that any new hires are considered "outsiders".

May 12, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for reviewing your time at IBI Group. We are sorry to hear that you experienced some challenges during your time with us. A lack of communication with your managers and colleagues can develop into larger relationship issues and that isn’t the type of environment we promote at IBI Group. We strive to foster a culture of open dialogue and employee recognition at all levels though programs such as our Kudos, peer-review, and formalized mentorship and leadership programs. Day-to-day life at IBI Group can be fast paced and we truly value the great work produced at both the practice, team, and individual level. We appreciate your feedback and wish you success in your future.

8. "Politics more important than actual work"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at IBI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The view, I guess? And the benefits?

Cons

Too much politics, and impotent management team who reward themselves with how much blood they can squeeze out of you.

Continue reading

"No support and low Compensation"

Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at IBI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide Flexible working hours at times

Cons

No appreciation to employees, Lower salaries than the rest of the industry, no growth, poor management, old fashioned views on progression, people that were hired earlier get promoted earlier regardless of effort. No compassion to health issues or hardships of employees. Management is old white men promoting and favoring other white males.

May 12, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and advice to management. We work hard to ensure that IBI Group is an open and diverse environment where everyone is valued and supported in their career growth. There are many programs in place to aid with recognition, visibility and upward mobility for all staff. In the last few years we have implemented a Global Women’s Network, a Leadership Development program, a Mentorship program, and a Recognition program across IBI Group globally. We take pride in our employees and strongly believe in supporting our employees going through personal hardships as well. We have a comprehensive Short-Term Disability program, Long-Term Disability program, and an Employee Assistance Program available to staff 24/7. On top of these, we pride ourselves on our flexibility and willingness to accommodate staff through their specific situation(s) to ensure both their physical and mental well-being is supported. Please feel free to reach out to your local HR Business Partner as they would be happy to work through your concerns.

10. "IBI Group review"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBI Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly environment. Encourage you to improve.

Cons

Hard to go up the corporate ladder if you do not know how to do so.

May 12, 2020Human Resources

We appreciate the positive review! While we are always looking to improve, we appreciate that you noticed IBI Group’s friendly and encouraging environment. We take pride in teaching and molding our employees to grow in their sectors. We’re sorry to hear that you felt like it was hard to progress in your career at IBI Group. We have a well-established Performance Review program for all staff as well as our career framework which aids staff and managers alike in having growth conversations, and together mapping out a career path for all staff to work towards in their future with IBI Group. We appreciate everything you did for us during your time here and wish you much success in the future!

Found 192 reviews