Hydrogen Group plc Reviews

Reset
3.5
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Pros
  • Good training and very good Learning and Development team (in 5 reviews)

• good location in the city, some great people who are very good at what they do, good training (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is appalling relative to other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Average performance is now an accepted norm which is not very inspiring and people aren't earning very much for the long hours they do (in 7 reviews)

Company full of energy

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

New CEO Great Offices Brilliant support functions Fun place to work Lots of team events and trips for performers Great energy to the place, very friendly people

Cons

Hours are a bit long

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and be clear about the direction of the company

2. Don't bother..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (More than a year)

Pros

The office and it's location is nice (one of the only positive things I can bring myself to say). Operational set up is great but, sadly they get forgotten about too easily when really, they are the driving support behind the sales teams. But it's OK, they get a diabolical bonus if the spend on the annual 5* trip for top billers is slightly lower than the year before.

Cons

Micro management, lack of support, unrealistic targets and KPI's, "cut throat" way of working, childish culture, ops teams aren't looked after nor respected as they should be and poor business decisions are made on a daily basis; apart from pushing that god awful COO out of the door!

Advice to Management

Remember a business doesn't function nor is it profitable without good people. Invest in them and concentrate on retaining them.

3. Terrible culture

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fairly easy to make money.

Cons

This is the kind of recruitment company which gives the recruitment sector a bad reputation. The amount of people who got fired in my time there was outrageous and the management was almost no existent. The majority of people working there believe they are high flying traders rather than Recruitment Consultants, it was a painful experience.

Advice to Management

Choose your managers with care and make sure they are getting rid of people for the correct reasons. Remind employees that they are a service provider helping clients find employees.

Good Company

Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

For over 4+ years I've worked in operations and throughout this time I've seen the company go through a lot of changes. Working in a highly-demanding environment can be stressful, however the comradery I experience within my team makes my job a lot easier and more enjoyable. Recently, ops and sales have been seated together and this is creating a really vibrant working environment. For the first time since I have been here the business feels more like a single unit rather than just ops and sales. It has also increased visibility so it’s nice to put a face to a name, especially with the new starters. Great team manager who is very supportive and doesn't micro-manage. Instead, he allows you to grow professionally by putting trust in your abilities and handling situations by yourself, but is still on hand if support is needed. Overall, I believe the company is improving and with a new CEO it will only get better.

Cons

Some managers and consultants need to be more accountable and take ownership of there work. Instead of pointing fingers and passing blame, perhaps they should adopt ‘the buck stops with me’ attitude. Operations is equally as important as the sales teams, however more recognition is needed from senior management. Operations has a number of strong workers with big ideas, but the company isn't recognising this fact.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of staff. Identify a channel that staff can communicate their ideas to senior management for consideration.

A company built on empty promises

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (More than a year)

Pros

Modern office - fantastic considering you spend most of your life there

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. An 'every man for himself' environment.

So much better now. As it should be.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Hydrogen a long time ago and have stuck by the firm over the last 12 months when things were not what they should be. Now we have a great group of guys and girls. Ops and sales all sat together and socialising, fantastic feel on the floor. All of us in it together. No more ivory towers senior management. Ian comes and has a chat with is all regularly. Considering he's not a natural extrovert this gets him maximum respect from us. Truly a great place to work right now. I wouldn't even think about going to another firm. I feel sorry for the ones who did and are now finding it tough (you know who you are). If I was an external investor I would buy Hydrogen stock now. It's going to up real soon.

Cons

It's been a tough 12 months but the buzz in the office now is as good as you can get. The past is the past though right? The hours still need to be looked at for sales staff. Don't burn us out!

Advice to Management

Keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing. Get to know us all and involve us in the company strategy.

Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of long standing consultants and some very successful teams. Good atmosphere and commitment and a very mature environment when it comes to working attitude. Management seem to care a lot about success of individuals and the company.

Cons

Working hours are longer than most companies. A 10 hour day as standard means any chance to have a social life after work is very limited. One of the pros of the company is the mature attitude to work. This means that people will and do stay late when required but when your hours are already to 6.30pm staying late can easily mean eating dinner at 9.30-10pm. It will lead to burnout and it's an easy sell for our competitors looking to poach good consultants.

Advice to Management

Cut the working hours by an hour per day and trust that the people you have hired want to be successful and will put the work in that is necessary. This will reward people with the freedom to enjoy a work like life balance and not feel like they live in the office when the work is mounting up.

Moving on Up

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Great team members! working with senior members of the team to help understand the market better showing what you can achieve here at Hydrogen. The training has also been excellent, from our learning and development team to members of my individual team helping you identify ways to improve to ensure a clear career progression is put in place... in a fun but hard-working environment!

Cons

Past experience, some management decisions were questionable, and therefore I felt I was maybe kept 'in the dark' about what was happening but after some internal moves we seem to be moving in the right direction! eg.. monthly wrap ups within the team informing all team members what is happening not only in individual teams but also within the whole company.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone up to date with what is happening within the Company and after Cancun can NewYork be the next incentive?! :)

The madness is over. Thank god.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams, great proposition, strong management (especially after the announcement this week - June 1st 2015). Excellent consultants who care. Now has a more mature environment and is so much better for it. New CEO is what we need.

Cons

Had a really tough time over the last 12 months and we lost some good people because of it. It's a real shame.

Advice to Management

DO NOT REPEAT 2014's DECISIONS!!!

Very Good Company!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly do not get the bad reviews! I've worked at Hydrogen for 4 years and I can say its honestly a very good place to work. Sure a lot has changed but everything that has changed has been for the best. The company clearly has a vision and is doing everything to support the staff to be as successful as they can be. Ian Temple (CEO) is often walking the sales floor paying an interest in how things are going and being very approachable for advice. The work mentality is mature, not forcing KPI’s down people’s throats but supporting and trusting in you to do well. I have had one of the best quarters I’ve had in 4 years and looking around so have a lot of other consultants. I’ve also recently enjoyed another quarterly top billers lunch, which was a brilliant afternoon out of the office. This was something I achieved through the companies recognition of my work outside of billing, such as; winning new clients and helping train some of the junior consultants. I’ve also been promoted and I know I am not alone as there are constant stories of promotions, showing that there are huge opportunities here. I work amongst some of the best consultants I’ve seen in my career, and the culture is just as good as it was when I first joined in June 2011. There is a really healthy competitive environment, not only in my team and practice but across all practices. In 4 years, I’ve made a lot of friends and many are still here. I am choosing to stay because I believe in the direction of Hydrogen and so far I can 100% say that I made the right decision.

Cons

There are no real major cons at Hydrogen, as many of the experienced consultants who have joined us often say that they wouldn't work any where else and I think that says a lot. If I have to make a comment then I’d say that Hydrogen’s previous grad schemes’ basic pay weren't something to scream about. But, it’s up to you to put your head down and grab the opportunities when they are presented to you.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cross business integration through mentoring across all practice areas.

RSS Feed </> Embed