Hydro One Employee Reviews about "unions"

Updated Apr 3, 2020

Hydro One President & CEO Carmine Marcello
Carmine Marcello
Pros
  • "Good pay and benefits, some bleeding edge technology(in 41 reviews)

• "Great Pay; Great hours, Management is very lenient, no pressure at all(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Continuous secretive meetings about gossip, how to slight employees and sneak things below the unions radar(in 12 reviews)

• "no cons if you're willing to keep an open mind(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "unions"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great corporate culture with competitive pay and benefits

Cons

Large portion of employees are unionized which can be a pro or con, depending on your viewpoint

Continue reading
  2. "Hydro One Long Term er"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time

Pros

Good work environment, friendly people Good pay and benefits, some bleeding edge technology

Cons

Progress is liking watch paint dry sometimes Unionized environment Head office disconnected from reality

Continue reading

3. "Great Place to Intern"

Former Employee - Intern Project Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hydro One full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Pay - My team was fantastic, a very positive learning experience - A lot of other co-ops and young people to meet and interact with - Province wide

Cons

- Very unionized, sometimes gets in the way of progress - A lot of processes in order to complete tasks (chain of command is sometimes undefined)

"Bullied and Harassed Everyday"

1.0
    Former Employee - Employee in Orangeville, ON

I worked at Hydro One full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid a lot. Feel bad for the rate payers though the entire time. That's about it for pros. I'm trying to fill the pros space with text. Kind of sad.

Cons

- Everyday I was harassed and bullied by management. It was an extremely disrespectful and terrible work experience. - The HR department and Union reps did absolutely nothing for me when I asked for help. They swept everything under the rug. They will always side with senior managers. Really goes to show that this company doesn't care about employees or customers at all. Very fake and sneaky. - Managers use isolation to bully employees they don't like. Dealing with fully grown adults behaving like spoiled children makes you question how these people are managing in the first place. This is a workplace not a school yard. Extremely unprofessional. - Managers withhold information, resources, and support if they don't like you. - Managers use verbal abuse: homophobic, racist, sexist, insults and status remarks are made commonly. - Managers spread lies and gossip to target other employees against you. They wolf pack bully. - Some kind of hidden agenda is going on here with upper management. Continuous secretive meetings about gossip, how to slight employees and sneak things below the unions radar. - The company focuses on safety yet I saw daily infringements of policy and union code. A lot of it goes unnoticed because senior management is locked-arms in how they deal with things. You might as well throw the rule book in the toilet. - If no bullying happened here, more would get done work wise. Much less injuries and accidents would happen overall. I'm guessing millions of rate payers dollars would be saved. - Extremely corrupt workplace with little regard for employees. Employees are basically guinea pigs. - Management acts entitled, condescending, ignorant, arrogant and rude. They believe they are better than everyone else. - Managers are sadistic narcissists. They care the world about themselves, and treat employees like garbage. - Hard work goes unrecognized, others will take credit for your work by force, and you will be silenced. - Just a sad, pathetic and terrible place to work. My soul got sucked dry here. I found myself burnt out everyday. - Greatest day of my life was not having to return to that hell hole. Hoping to raise awareness of this terrible workplace. Hoping this post doesn't get taken down - starting to believe HR is removing my posts. I'm only telling the truth. I don't recommend working here. Stay Away if you value your sanity!

Continue reading
  5. "Very unique workplace with a lot of advancement opportunities"

4.0
    Current Employee - Regional Maintainer - Electrical Union Trades Supervisor III in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities, good pay, good benefits, defined pension. Highest level of safety. It's a world class utility. Extensive safety training, and plenty of opportunity to learn about various parts of a utility

Cons

Unions, bureaucracy, it's hard to terminate people that are union protected. A lot of the trades now get hired as temporary-fulltime, with no guarantee of a permanent-fulltime. So prone to layoffs and getting moved around.

6. "Co-Op"

I worked at Hydro One

Pros

Worked with P&C department through a co-op. Lots of opportunity to learn, but lots of independance. Would recommend all qualified to apply.

Cons

Slow procedure to get any work done. Unionized to work is completed according to the clock, and not in the interest of getting the job done quickly while not sacrificing

"Settlement Analyst"

in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hydro One

Pros

Hydro One is the leader in the electricity industry in Ontario, experience with the company is very highly recognized throughout the industry. Salaries are the highest in the industry and the company only uses high quality software and systems. Anyone who is serious about a career in the energy sector will benefit tremendously from working at Hydro One.

Cons

Employment contracts generally have a 2 year maximum in length, and it is very difficult to obtain a permanent job offer. Senior staff take advantage of the unions and often exhibit poor attendance and poor work ethic but can not be replaced due to union protection.

Continue reading
  8. "Business Analyst Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Hydro One

Pros

Good environment, many development opportunities, good work-life balance. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Labour unions may limit opportunities for externals. Tight head count.

9. "Great experience for people starting their careers."

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with lots of different groups and people from different backgrounds

Cons

Unions, limited room for growth and no reason for motivation.

10. "Depends if you are in the union"

Former Employee - IT in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hydro One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for if you are a union employee. Great benefits, salary increases, job security, and vacation.

Cons

No incentive to work or move into management here. Management gets less benefits, vacation, and possibly less pay then its employee's. Salaries are frozen and things are not getting better. Under performing union employees are protected by their unions.

Found 12 reviews