Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2019

Found 794 reviews

3.2
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt CEO John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
Pros
  • "Generous work from home policy, with great work life balance(in 55 reviews)

• "Great people and passionate educators across the organization(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management could use some help(in 48 reviews)

• "Unclear vision for where the company is going means regular pivots and turnover of senior management(in 39 reviews)

1. "Loving it so far!"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Design Architect in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really do enjoy the team, environment, and the projects I've been working on so far. It's great!

Cons

I haven't been here long enough yet, so nothing to complain so far.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2016-04-12

"Too many Deciders, not enough Makers."

Former Employee - Senior Design Architect

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance. Decent health benefits. Good place to work if you have a family to support. Fairly central location. Modern open-plan office with up to date equipment and software. Competitive salary - if you push hard during the hiring process. You can kick back and not a soul will notice.

Cons

Multiple layers of management: too many Deciders, not enough Makers. Very slow decision-making even compared to other large corporations. Departments are siloed. I spent more than 50% of my time in large, inefficient inter-departmental meetings. Design decisions made by managers with no training in design and no interest in user experience. If you want any interesting projects, you'll need to initiate...

Advice to Management

If you want innovation, listen to the creative people making your products. Understand that your subjective preferences have no place in decision-making when they are not aligned with your users' experience.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2018-01-30
  3. "Great work, great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt part-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to do a lot more important work than a regular internship would usually allow, was surrounded by a supportive team, and loved the general environment of the office.

Cons

Not much to dislike, documentation could be a bit stronger but that's about it.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-08-18

"Fantastic engineering team at Boston, Exciting Time!"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Specializing in K-12 education, HMH remains committed to delivering engaging, dynamic, and effective educational content to more than 50 million students worldwide. Providing comprehensive learning solutions to help all students achieve their maximum potential, HMH serves as the leading source for personalized, flexible, and dynamic instruction. With that, it's an exciting time to be part of it! The Boston engineering...

Cons

The project requirements need to be clarified and thought through, and lots of POs are remote and sometimes it's challenging to get them to answer questions.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great job. Speed up the hiring process.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-08-06

"Great work for Engineers and keeps you busy but needs better co-ordination among groups"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cutting edge technologies to work with for an Engineer Stack-wise, echo systems, platforms. Interesting challenges to solve and well run teams. Keep you busy and happening. Lots of deliveries happening around the year.

Cons

Better co-ordination needed across geographical groups to make things faster and less frustrating. Higher management needs to facilitate this inter-group collaboration.

Advice to Management

Better co-ordination needed across geographical groups to make things faster and efficient.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-08-07

"Passionate group of smart people."

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I met so many friendly and smart people at HMH and I learned a huge amount from them in my three years at the company. People in all groups–sales, product, engineering, content and design–have great ideas, and are willing to talk about them. There’s a willingness to learn and to improve. The office is great, managers are flexible about working from home, and the benefits are good. I became friends with some of my coworkers...

Cons

The company can feel timid in terms of strategy. Engineering is somewhat understaffed, so progress can feel slow sometimes. Unlike many software companies, education is a seasonal industry, so workload and hours can vary a lot depending on time of year. There has been a lot of reorganization in the design and product group, and even though the company is going in a good direction, it’s been a rough trip. There was...

Advice to Management

People are the most important thing you have. They’re crucial to the success of your products. Show your workers that they matter, and that their contributions have been noted.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-08-04

"Unbeatable work-life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unbeatable work-life balance; flexible hours, working from home is available (albeit see advice to management below), summer hours, working late is extremely rare. Infinitely better than previous roles I've had. - Positive workplace atmosphere: people are friendly, helpful, and relaxed - Great team dynamics: on the teams I've been on, the collaborative spirit makes problem-solving a blast - Interesting technology...

Cons

- Attempts to harmonize processes and technologies across all engineering teams cause needless friction for questionable gain - Unnecessary meetings...probably universal to all companies

Advice to Management

- Contractors are people too - Working from home is a brilliant perk that costs the company practically nothing. Stop trying to chip away at it.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-07-30
  8. "Excellent people, great mission, leading technology"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, working on leading technology solutions for the education sector. Great work-life balance, and an employee-first organisation which prioritises a positive, inclusive culture. I have worked here for 10 years and have seen the company transform over those years, improving all the time. Agile work practices, led from the Dublin site, are well embedded in our teams.

Cons

Although we are focused on building an enterprise-standard education platform, we have a legacy of older tech and bad practices which still impacts some aspects of work. Each year sees continuous improvement & innovation, however.

Advice to Management

CEO is very focused on technology roadmap, clued in to Agile practice. Good leadership - need to keep going on current development track, and accelerate the move away from legacy products.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-07-31
  9. "Great Company to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible work from home policy. Incredible group of people working with each to deliver quality products.

Cons

Company is not well known in Ireland, specially from a Tech point of view.

Advice to Management

The change of strategy (new management) has caused a little of missteps but as time passes goals are getting clearer motivating all the Engineering team to deliver exceptional products.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-07-29
  10. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Independence , flexibility, good people around

Cons

better work life preferred at work

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt2019-08-12